Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

TBH (and this is just my opinion) some elements of the game needs to be grounded/based on reality or it just starts to get silly and can no longer be taken seriously. It's just a matter of how far you feel it should be stretched for better game play. I don't think anyone is trying to push that we can't carry nothing more than 1 or 2 items.

I'm in the camp that at least some form of "Item management" needs to be in the game and having a 72 slot bag is a bad thing... (imo) You shouldn't be able to carry your whole base in your backpack and you're just going to need to prioritize what you should or shouldn't take.

So yeah, the "Reality" argument should be pitted against "game play" a lot in this type of game.

That is why we need options. So you can play your way and others can play theirs and not be annoyed to death over bag space management which takes away from the parts they actually enjoy in the game. Or makes them make a million trips back and forth to get a little bit of looting done.

If you want knocked off your minibike just drive it into some water. That is enough of an issue to have to worry about. If I got knocked off it every time I ran into something I might as well not build the thing. I just don't get why people want to add stuff that is only going to be an annoyance.

I was suggesting a chance of being knocked off. When you get a decent bike (fast enough) and you have gas you are nearly invincible on it. you can ride around all night and not worry about zombies. I also suggested they bring back the damage you could do with the bike, but I mean if you hit a deer or a tree on a minibike IRL you would almost for sure get knocked off.

Maybe they could just add damage done to the bike when you hit things and when it reaches a certain threshold you have a chance of being dismounted and/or stunned.

really only an idea...not trying to annoy anyone...but you probably think this song is about you. :)

Ok, lets say devs should add new item - large backpack. You may equip it like clothes and your inventory space greatly enlarge. But with equipped backpack you cant run, cant crouch, and cant ride minibike, its balance, and only stamina drain is not enough. Now you make decision - many inventory slots, or chance to stay alive after your meeting with lonely zombie. And of course when you take off this backpack with items, or die, all extra slots just drops on ground. Looks balanced, but do you'll be really use it?

Ok, lets say devs should add new item - large backpack. You may equip it like clothes and your inventory space greatly enlarge. But with equipped backpack you cant run, cant crouch, and cant ride minibike, its balance, and only stamina drain is not enough. Now you make decision - many inventory slots, or chance to stay alive after your meeting with lonely zombie. And of course when you take off this backpack with items, or die, all extra slots just drops on ground. Looks balanced, but do you'll be really use it?

why do those of us that want bigger back packs have to be penalized ????

How much the bigger pack should penalize is the question. If you can't run or use the minibike anymore, this backpack is trading its usability bonus for a much larger usability penalty (even if we ignore the higher danger). In other words this is the secure storage box with a different texture since you are practically forfeiting mobility (except for a few dozen meters around you) with this. Looks not at all balanced to me.

Add to it when you are out looting you don't scrap your brass unless you want to lose approx 30% of it. So that takes a lot of space up. All those bits and parts you get and need to build with like plastic, electronics and such take up a lot of space. There are people that are okay with doing the chest storage stuff and then their are people like myself that find that a complete and other annoyance.

And that is the problem, if you have to carry items to repair, to have food and water if you know you will be out for a whole day an need food it really limits you. Yes, I know that many don't carry food, water, stone, fiber and wood as they are out, but I've watched enough youtube videos and seen a player not carry them and run into zombies and have their bow/axe/club break and nothing to use and die before they can get out of the building to collect it. So here they are a good distance from home, no bike yet and lost everything and have to travel back and it is getting dark and don't even have a torch.

No thanks, I would like to have a backpack with just one row, not three times its size, not with slots to carry everything but enough slots to carry items to make it easier. They added electrical parts and components, mechanical parts and plastic but no extra slots. We can stack murky water but we can't stack boiled water. We should be able to stack books that are the same, such as pistols, crossbows, guns. I can go into a book store and find five pistols, three crossbows and two or three others, hoping that I will find what I need, hunting knife, minibike, spiked club, can't remember what else I see as important. Trophys, they all need to be the same size, brass should all be the same size so you don't have three, four or more different shapes, which need their own slots. I am looking for a place for a good base. Go into a small town that has a working stiff, pill store and gas station, I can loot them and a few businesses looking for specific items. Find other stuff and make a crate leaving it in a spot I can mark. But I know that it highly unlikely that I will return. That engine that is a 300 level will probably never be picked up, the ammo for a shotgun will stay there along with other goods and later on needed items. Do I scrap the iron arrows, the pipes, cooking pots, do I scrap the raw iron so they won't take up slots. Yep, no choice. Management, pisses me off when I am told I am carrying too much. Perhaps if there were more animals to hunt I wouldn't need to carry so many cans of food. Day one a boar (three meat), day two nothing, day three a deer (four meat). Day four by late afternoon I arrived at a new town, seems nice, but don't know if I will find game as I get ready I am hoping I can turn zombies on in this game. Had to leave behind two iron shovels, pickaxe, rebar frames, three wrenches and more.

And yes, I am playing with zombies off, it is getting easier to move my arm and so I think in a few days I will be able to handle the zombies. I can now raise my arm to shoulder height and stretch it straight out.

Some here go I want a trailer, I want a truck, I want this or that but go the backpack doesn't need to be bigger. So, I can't ask for a extra row of slots, or for books, boiled water and other to be stackable but you can ask for a truck.

Well, I guess I go the same with you, just learn how to organize better, to carry less you don't need a truck, cart, trailer to carry things; learn how to manage your inventory.

How much the bigger pack should penalize is the question. If you can't run or use the minibike anymore, this backpack is trading its usability bonus for a much larger usability penalty (even if we ignore the higher danger). In other words this is the secure storage box with a different texture since you are practically forfeiting mobility (except for a few dozen meters around you) with this. Looks not at all balanced to me.

How about making it a skill/Perk, like "The Mule" - 5 ranks, each rank allows you to carry a larger backpack without a penalty (while it is possible to carry it but with penalties if no skill). Or "Tetris Master" - you can stack larger quantities of Items/things or simply can put more into your backpack due to good organisation (= effectively just additional slots).

Also possible "gun belt", "quiver" as equipment: They hold a weapon (Bow or Crossbow for quiver, a gun for gun belt) and if available, the different ammo kinds.

If you give me an hour of paid time I can probably come up with two dozen ways to make the majority of players happy with a system overhaul regarding the backpack mechanics :) Also, as with most things, a simple configuration line would fix this for those who don't certain things on their server, e.g. <AllowedBackPackTypes>1,2,3,4</>. Let people choose and everyone is happy.

I was suggesting a chance of being knocked off. When you get a decent bike (fast enough) and you have gas you are nearly invincible on it. you can ride around all night and not worry about zombies. I also suggested they bring back the damage you could do with the bike, but I mean if you hit a deer or a tree on a minibike IRL you would almost for sure get knocked off.

Maybe they could just add damage done to the bike when you hit things and when it reaches a certain threshold you have a chance of being dismounted and/or stunned.

really only an idea...not trying to annoy anyone...but you probably think this song is about you. :)

You obviously have never played a game where you get knocked off a mount by a pebble in the road or the twig sticking up that you cant see. Its bad enough in the current iteration that the dead trees/bushes/whatever they are called, will completely stop your minibike cruising, including cactus plants. I am not against getting damage while riding, but HELL NO to getting knocked off for anything but death.

minibikes cant do damage because then it wouldnt be able to be stopped by the pebble in the road thats majikally floating.

So pick one: be fully stopped by various plants and dumb things, or do damage, you cant have both here!

My advice:

1) Forget alpha 17, release 16.4 with OPTIMIZATION of resource usage.

FPS walks from 130 to 20. (very rare - 5-8)

My PC:

i5 4690k

R9 380 4GB

16gb RAM

SSD

Win 7 x64

Guys i play in very hard games on ultra and FPS 100+, never down <100

2) Close the cloning of things (bonfire, zombies, boxes)

3) The minibike constantly fails under the textures.

4) Put in order the use of electricians and farms (paragraph 1)

5) The system of sleeping is just SUCK. Sorry for being rude ... before you go into the house and kill everyone. And now after the zombie has woken up, you twist your head. Right behind your back, there will be a zombie, who was not at the entrance. This is really a PROBLEM!

6) Add correct system wipe chunks or squares

For servers this is very important

My advice:

Alpha 16 is a dead end. It is not the game. It is step along the way. There is no reason to stick with Alpha 16 and keep making it better and better when the real game is going to be something else. Don't focus on the trees. See the whole forest.

Forget Alpha 16 and get moving on A17 and the rest of the game. Alpha 16 is good enough as an intermediate stepping stone.

Alpha 16 is a dead end. It is not the game. It is step along the way. There is no reason to stick with Alpha 16 and keep making it better and better when the real game is going to be something else. Don't focus on the trees. See the whole forest.

Forget Alpha 16 and get moving on A17 and the rest of the game. Alpha 16 is good enough as an intermediate stepping stone.

does that forest come with a chainsaw? maybe something a bit more larger and can cut 10 trees at a time?

Oh wait I get it now you're all gonna make it look like hello kitty vs sailor moon masked zombies! Look forward not underneath!

My advice:

FPS walks from 130 to 20. (very rare - 5-8)

My PC:

i5 4690k

R9 380 4GB

16gb RAM

SSD

Win 7 x64

Guys i play in very hard games on ultra and FPS 100+, never down <100

2) Close the cloning of things (bonfire, zombies, boxes)

3) The minibike constantly fails under the textures.

4) Put in order the use of electricians and farms (paragraph 1)

5) The system of sleeping is just SUCK. Sorry for being rude ... before you go into the house and kill everyone. And now after the zombie has woken up, you twist your head. Right behind your back, there will be a zombie, who was not at the entrance. This is really a PROBLEM!

6) Add correct system wipe chunks or squares

For servers this is very important

I think the optimizing will be reserved for beta stage. After the content lock.

Cheers

Konichiwa Bitches!!!

Madmole and/or Gazz

Can we get a block that has a tire on a rim? Trying to make vehicles and planes in Prefabs is a bit of a pain. Also, maybe one with a strut attached ...for plane landing gear. Right now all we can do is color a cylinder black

Actually quarter circle blocks in steel and scrap iron would be cool to make a gear/pulley for several prefabs I am working on.

Basically I am trying to create prefabs that are based in Arizona....coal mines, dams, rural airstrips, etc...

A few additional blocks would really complete the present collection.

Regards

Ouch

PS I would love to see a few 45 degree and 90 degree I beams ...would help a lot with Railroad and or minecart tracks being able to turn them in different directions.

Maybe a pot belly stove for heat and cooking as an in game item , as well as a few other survival /rustic items that we would find or create in a post apocalyptic world.

Oh yeah and a smaller flagpole would be nice.

Regards

Ouch

Simple request that always goes unnoticed, can we add a scrap all hot key to containers and zeds? I always end up scrapping items as I get to be higher level and don't have a need to a specific item but want the iron/clothing ect. I pull out **giggity** what i need from the container and scrap the rest. Would be really helpful to have something like this and minor to implement.

What is this? The sixteenth century? I've never cut long grass with any of those thanks to whoever thought of putting fishing line on a spinner and hooking it up to a motor....

Cool so give us Fishing and Fishing line and lets us combine, fishing line, iron pipe, motor, plastic and ductape to make a trimmer.

PS: Electric motors with a nail gun battery would be cool as well.

I

It seems you read my post as uncivil. If I came over disgruntled or snappy or whatever else, that wasn't the intention, and sorry for that. I do like to comment on other posts though and especially if I have a different opinion.

Quite the opposite actually. I even pm'd you to let you know that lol. I wasn't saying you were uncivil. I was just talking about posters in general. It seems we all think we know what should be in a vanilla game and sometimes the "discussions" get a bit heated. The thing is if everyone liked the game the same way we would never get any mods as there wouldn't be any reason for them. So long live everyone wanted it to be different.

Do you have the chainsaw schematic to use on the forest?

NVM, Death2Gnomes beat me to it :(

Had a thought the other night and just now remembered to post it.

Regarding the dupe bug with decomposing corpses it seems like there is an easy fix.

Given that:

Containers already have an onClose event that fires, because they make a sound when you close them.

Containers are locked while in use, so there's a flag/property already in existence for that.

The decomposition appears to be a timed event in the world which then acts upon the object.

The fix would be:

Add another flag/property to the object, to indicate it's time to decompose the item, and if the decompose timer triggers while the object is open (as denoted by the existing lock-in-use flag/property) the decompose even sets this new flag/property instead of doing the actual decompose.

Have the onClose event check if this new flag is on, and trigger the object's decompose action/method if applicable.

Since the container no longer gets replaced while it's being manipulated, the items within can't clone. Its content state is saved by the onClose then its contents are transferred to the new decomposed version of the object.

Nope I just find it enough of a pain to constantly get hung up on rocks, twiggy trees, cati,and the like. Don't need other problems on it. As far as others riding around avoiding zombies, good for them. Maybe we all need to find what is fun and stop worrying about how others are playing and asking for nerfs in the game cause so and so is playing the game in a way we don't. Saw enough gating and nerfs in a16. Unless we just want the rateings to tank even more and 7 days go into "mixed" for the reviews on Steam.

Archived