Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

You take damage when you collide with that block. It doesn't care what side of the block you collide with. So what you are asking is for TFP to add code to check for the one block face that should not do damage, and have that detection work reliably. And that check would have to run in the main update, always. Sounds like a significant performance hit for a minor cosmetic issue on one game block. I'd rate this a nice to have but probably not worth the impact on the game.

I didn't ask for anything. I don't consider it much of an exploit. It does look odd but I would prefer them to concentrate on more important issues. I was just pointing out the actual issue being talked about.

Does no one find it weird that the header of this most official announcement topic mentions "Hitler"?

Kinda... But once you know TFP, you get it...

So only really a problem with the new users.

But why should they have it any easier than I originally did?

Half the fun is working it out ;)

We already had an a17 Hitler vid. It was just a bit premature.

...anyone know who started the tradition? What alpha the first one was?

I wanna say A12 but I could be wrong.

I'm unsure if this was the first one, but this came up with one of the oddest google searches I've done today

My incredibly thorough research of "typing it into google" suggests that Laz Man did the first one for A13. I don't know if I can remember an earlier one, I think I can but I may be wrong.

"Anything done annually for three consecutive years then becomes an annual tradition that's impossible to break"

- Church of England Doctrine

Why in God's name would you come to the US for your honeymoon. This is place is a cesspit these days.

And, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Haha, thanks man! :) Well, we will just go for the normal landscape.. not the political one.

To be honest, we got married last year May, so the honeymoon is a bit on the late side, but meh ;)

- - - Updated - - -

every country is a cesspool if you focus on the negatives...

thats interesting, where ya goin in the US?

First we will go a couple of days to New York, then fly to Salt Lake City, and make a roadtrip for a few days towards Yellowstone (as a geologist, that's mantadory :p ). Then we fly back to NY, and make a roadtrip past Boston, upstate NY, down the Appalachians and back by way of Washington. Quite a trip ^^

- - - Updated - - -

No it isn't! Just because some weirdo politics is going on on TV doesn't eliminate all the great places there are to go and things to see. Yellowstone Park isn't going anywhere because a man in a suit exists somewhere.

Hehe. Well.. Geologically speaking Yellowstone is going places within the next 10.000's of years. But I hope not within the next few months.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to Yellowstone, for the first time, in September. Really looking forward to it.

That makes 2 of us! Let's have a 7D2D reunion party @ yellowstone in September :D

Roland, you're invited as well. Pants are mantadory, I'm afraid.

- - - Updated - - -

At the other Hand you still find Racists and Nazis here in some places, but every country has its right-wing Lunatics and we are very aware of not letting them into politics. ( Maybe a bit too much, hence the recent rise of a Alt-Right Party called AFD ) But hey, now im getting political in a gaming Forum. Sorry about that.

Those places mostly lie within Sachsen :apathy:

How would a vulture react in a dive if it was and about to hit the player and suddenly stepped aside?

The player moving would cause the vulture to rotate, which causes acceleration in that direction, which starts changing the velocity, so it would curve toward the player, but it would probably miss and swing around to your back.

I like this solution, because it would be more than a one-off for upside down spikes. A per-face block attachment check would also eliminate a huge number of nonsensical shapes, e.g. attaching a block to the open side of a ramp block, that in my view make the game look bad.

Although that's a simpler option, it would prevent attaching spikes to the underside of a ceiling, and I see no reason why that design should be prevented.

No it wouldn't. The ceiling is the surface it would be attached to in that case. Just no balancing on their point.

How would a vulture react in a dive if it was and about to hit the player and suddenly stepped aside?

Just a guess but I would say it would "update his target position every .25 to .5 seconds" So if timed correctly he would miss you and if mistimed he would correct aim and attack you.

My favorite acronyms are:

M.A.R.I.N.E. = Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential

A.R.M.Y. = Ain't Ready For Marines Yet

Don't have one for Navy or Air Force. Does anyone else?

No acronym, but I'm told the Navy is where they separate the men from the boys... (with a crowbar)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
Absolutely. Look at how the US. Armed Forces go at each other.

It is all in good fun at the end of the day we all have different missions and jobs to do and support each other all the way.

My favorite acronyms are:

M.A.R.I.N.E. = Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential

A.R.M.Y. = Ain't Ready For Marines Yet

Don't have one for Navy or Air Force. Does anyone else?

N.A.V.Y - Need Any Vaseline Yet

What does everyone think the new AI will do to our current base designs? From Madmole's recent comments it sounds like we can build whatever we want but zombies will feed!

Its a whole new game for sure. I want:

-A heat base that I never stay longer than absolutely necessary.

-A cool base where I have a series of workbenches making final products, most for traders.

-Two safe rooms near bedrock, each having half of everything I want to keep.

-A horde base at the base of a high mountain. I can focus all my shotgun turrets this way and have them fire at near point blank range and try loot as much bones as possible. Bones -> glue -> Paper -> shotgun shells.

What does everyone think the new AI will do to our current base designs? From Madmole's recent comments it sounds like we can build whatever we want but zombies will feed!

I've been playing on stilts mostly to avoid repetitive labour. As I hear, this won't be an option anymore :)

Although I'm not a fan of constantly dealing with zombies stumbling on my base, I do enjoy being put in a tough spot to figure out new effective and sustainable methods of defense.

• Like 1

Reading the talks about the upside down spikes, and that guy that calls it an exploit. LOL.. I use the spikes upside down because of the zombies that "Swim" on the spikes, or the "sit and spin" on the spikes, and my favorite, the floating corpse that explodes and disappears with your loot.

If you want an exploit, here's one for you!

also, someone mentioned drawbridge and hatch exploit, I assume this is what you were talking about? And the hatch one being the hatch-a-vator?

Lets not forget the floating bases using sheets/fence and plates with the "invisible" block ends facing each other. (this is where that guys comment about the block face check would come in handy)

sort of like this

Also, zombies wont hit mini bike frame, and they seem to be unable to step over them.

and for people saying zombies dont dig, I find this to be not true. I am constantly filling in holes in the ground and floor blocks that zombies busted up.

--

Edit: Also, had a thought, what are the plans to counter bedrock mole bases?

Edited by PurgatoryWolf (see edit history)