Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post

Micro-stuttering caused by UFPS camera and garbage collection has been fixed 11/24/18

Roland... I assume someone told you you're bad with dates or that your funniness is appreciated. I think both apply. :D

Alpha 17 release date confirmed???

His life is a fraud. =)

(and how the hell have you been, homie?)

Good man. Doing the family/work thing and such. Still popping in once in a blue moon to see what TFP's up to. I'm not entirely sure they're aware of how status bars work is my conclusion. Other than that, some cool stuff they're working on. :D

Intellect, Perception, Strength, Fortitude, and Agility.

All skills and perks will be organized into those five categories allowing for players to more easily create class archetypes if they focus on one or two attributes. Each one can add boons or banes to a player depending on whether they have been improved or damaged. I won't go into detail on what each attribute will do as it hasn't been revealed by a dev but there are some exciting plans some of which if realized will add some features people have been wanting for quite awhile....

Intellect, Perception, Strength, Fortitude, and Agility.

All skills and perks will be organized into those five categories allowing for players to more easily create class archetypes if they focus on one or two attributes. Each one can add boons or banes to a player depending on whether they have been improved or damaged. I won't go into detail on what each attribute will do as it hasn't been revealed by a dev but there are some exciting plans some of which if realized will add some features people have been wanting for quite awhile....

No charisma?

Charisma's the lynchpin for interacting with NPC's...

-A

Dang. In Fallout you get the Pip-Boy and feel SPECIAL. In 7 Days to Die you’re stuck with the PASIFier.

I think you'll find that the fallout system is a renamed version of the AD&D system with luck added. The original fallout game was developed as an AD&D game but the whole thing fell through and so as not to get sued by whoever the hell held the rights at the time they shifted genre to post-apocalyptic.

Strength ---------------- Strength

Dexterity ---------------- Agility

Constitution ------------- Endurance

Intelligence ------------- Intelligence

Wisdom ----------------- Perception

Charisma --------------- Charisma

--------------------------- Luck

No charisma?

Of course there is going to be charisma. It's the hidden attribute that will affect all player interactions and complaints over any changes to the game. When something goes wrong in the game, if one doesn't like it and people react negatively to their open complaints... it's because their charisma stat is too low.

I see people on here all the time with low charisma having issues with the game mechanics.

Do they have a plan?

No. They don't even have a fracking clue!

(Thought the same thing you did when I read that)

- - - Updated - - -

Do we start with free points to allocate? Like Fallout? Or do we start with 0?

For character creation.

Another question- can we earn more points to put into that system?

On stuttering:

Pre A16, stutters were caused by a couple known things and possibly unknowns.

The first known was that the UFPS camera was updating in the wrong order sometimes causing what would look like FPS lag while your FPS would still say 60fps. That one I fixed early on in A17 development so that will no longer be an issue. This would happen when the CPU's physics update would get out of sync with the game update so it was hard to track at first. I tried some random things until I stumbled onto something that kept those calculations in order.

The other known is Garbage Collection. Prior to A17 we made a LOT of garbage and created a lot of new structs and method level vars during run time. We have now internally all started pushing vars to class members instead of making them in the methods. While it adds a tiny bit more to ram when creating the class initially, it doesn't need to destroy it every time the method is ran. The new effect system that runs buffs, progression, items, and events uses this setup so that processing a lot in one frame won't make a crapton of garbage from all those tiny bits adding up.

There are probably more situations and such that have stuttering but those are the main ones I know about and that we've found and started working on reducing.

For anyone curious, below are my system stats and I never have issues with any Unity based games, or any games for that matter.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

Processor: AMD FX-6300 Six Core Processor (6 CPU) ~3.5GHz

Memory: 20480MB (yeah, I had an extra 4GB ram stick laying around lol)

Video Card: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Hard Drives: 512G SSD (2 of them), 2TB HDD

I have windows installed on one of my SSDs and I keep all my games installed on the other. :)

I know you guys are pretty balls deep in Alpha 17 right now but what are the chances of a hot fix for 16.4 that corrects the micro stuttering? It's really been one of the big put offs for me in alpha 16. I wish I could show you how bad the micro stuttering is for me. Literally like every 2-4 seconds I get a half a second freeze, sometimes i even get longer freezes. It doesn't matter what graphics settings I use or where I am on the map. That's on an i7 / 970gtx / 16gb ram / SSD setup.

If Alpha 17 is still a while off it would be great to see this looked at.

I know you guys are pretty balls deep in Alpha 17 right now but what are the chances of a hot fix for 16.4 that corrects the micro stuttering? It's really been one of the big put offs for me in alpha 16. I wish I could show you how bad the micro stuttering is for me. Literally like 2-4 seconds I get a half a second freeze, sometimes i even get longer freezes. It doesn't matter what graphics settings I use or where I am on the map. If Alpha 17 is still a while off it would be great to see this looked at.

This issue has been solved in Alpha 17, let the good times roll.

Archived