Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

On stuttering: That one I fixed early on in A17 development

Is that fix something that can't be pushed out to the masses or does it involve a unity update? It's been happening to my lady a crazy bit.

Thanks for all the replies you do Kin and to all you devs that do a great job of explaining things to us peons it's appreciated!

Is that fix something that can't be pushed out to the masses or does it involve a unity update? It's been happening to my lady a crazy bit.

Thanks for all the replies you do Kin and to all you devs that do a great job of explaining things to us peons it's appreciated!

That's a 7dtd optimization, not unity.

You could jump with a broken leg irl, just use the one that is not broken, the problem then is going to be the landing. Jumping off the ground with 1 leg is alot easier than landing the same jump only using that one good leg.

Good to know but why would you need to be doing that IRL?

I want both, I like the current medicine skill in a16.4, I spam bandages to level it. its worth it later on. Levels fairly fast.

Snip

This, to me, is 'gamey'. I hope that they are able to make it where this is not possible. It may not be possible to avoid, but spam crafting or using anything rapidly to raise your skill should be discouraged. IMHO

- - - Updated - - -

For sure man a slug to the head should take the zombies head clean off 100% of the time, no exceptions.

Nothing in a game should be 100%, ever.

I'm a little worried about this mechanic. I imagine myself carrying stacks and stacks of food and water just to get places. I guess this is balanced by having more vehicles. Anyway, I don't want to sound like i'm complaining, but just in case you didn't consider it (even though you guys probably did cuz your're awesome) maybe make sure you don't end up drinking a lake for a day of travel at a steady -not slow- clip.

Shouldn't be that bad. In early game I actually do carry a stack or two of yucca since it increases stamina by ten and doesn't fill up much hunger. It makes long trips sustainable.

After you hit mid game it shouldn't be an issue to carry a stack or bacon and eggs and a stack of water or yucca juice.

Hehe okay okay. Trying to jump is possible I guess. Accomplishing that same jump is another question.

You are correct. For the average person, running or jumping would be impossible. We are not the average people.

I have gone over two thousand days without sleep and have not laid a single turd. I have eaten literal tons of food within this five to six year time period, and not one poop.

I also run down deer, kill packs of wolves with a wooden stick, and assemble car motors.

I am an expert in the bow, how to craft one, I can use any firearm and strip them down and reassemble them. I can make dart traps and lay concrete; I can even wire the whole place up.

I get that we want to simulate real life, but certain things we need to accept as game balancing for the point of the numbers involved, and not the accuracy to realism. I for one think every day you should drop a turd. Make a toilet usable for that or it just drops in your inventory. We use the poop for fertilizer, and we eat enough for a turd. I think plenty of things could use some adjusting, but it is mostly because it is a game and realism takes a back seat.

Oh, it's Taco Tuesday. Happy Taco Tuesday DaVega.

The point about broken legs being grindy, is the net effect of getting where you want to go slower, and maybe even having to find another way across a gap.

Realistic, sure, fun, not so much.

But it appears it's been addressed in a17, if Gazz was dropping a hint.

And if his hint is "if broke leg /and/ run then damage", then that means a lot more than it seems on the surface.

You are correct. For the average person, running or jumping would be impossible. We are not the average people.

I have gone over two thousand days without sleep and have not laid a single turd. I have eaten literal tons of food within this five to six year time period, and not one poop.

Proof that you are already a zombie. You need a small kid who says "I see dead people" tell you the sad truth.

I figured that was the answer. sadness.

Unity's main problem isn't really the game engine itself, it's the programming skill of the people who use it. It's pretty easy to get stuff working so any script-kiddie can pick it up and churn sub-standard work out at an alarming rate. In the case of 7dtd we're still in the development phase so you don't expect a hell of a lot of optimization to be done just yet, no point optimizing code that's going to be ripped out and changed.

The various app stores are full of game clones that were put together in a hurry and then sold ad-infinitum to people who just change the skin and then sell it. I've had to dig through some of these, it's not pretty.

In the case of 7dtd we're still in the development phase so you don't expect a hell of a lot of optimization to be done just yet, no point optimizing code that's going to be ripped out and changed.

Seemed to be ok enough to optimize a console port though. But like MM said it's one of the best things for the game having IG also finding and squashing bugs helps everyone.

I guess i don't see the harm in releasing a solid QOL fix for folks having stuttering issues once you figure it out. Why wait? /shrug

In pimps we trust

Seemed to be ok enough to optimize a console port though. But like MM said it's one of the best things for the game having IG also finding and squashing bugs helps everyone.

I guess i don't see the harm in releasing a solid QOL fix for folks having stuttering issues one your figure it out. Why wait? /shrug

In pimps we trust

It takes twice as long to bugfix a feature than it does to add it and three times as long to optimize it. The more time spent bugfixing and optimizing means less time adding new features. You think we have a problem with impatient people now? Wait until you tell them that the only thing you're doing is messing with features that already work.

Console port is done by a different company, they just port and don't need to develop as well. Because of the limited specs of the console hardware it becomes a necessity for them to optimize (probably most optimization done by them is simply removing resource heavy features :crushed:).

I guess i don't see the harm in releasing a solid QOL fix for folks having stuttering issues one your figure it out. Why wait? /shrug

The particular fix you are talking about is (according to Kinyahuu) changing memory handling everywhere in the code. A very localized fix in one subsystem is something you can backport easily, hundreds of small changes all over the code base isn't nearly as easy and very error prone. You have to test everything again, find and remove bugs... All of this needs time that would delay A17.

I was watching some TV show and they talked about a "Humpty-Dumpty Crises": A crises so big and bad that it can never be fixed, by anyone.

Now, is 7D2D a Humpty-Dumpty crises? Will there be a way to turn things around? Even if it turns out extremely difficult and takes three parts to finish, I would like that very much. :)

To clarify myself, I'm talking about the story line. I would like the story line to be something like Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 (to heck with 4).

To satisfy Gup, give it a on/off switch. :)

To clarify myself, I'm talking about the story line. I would like the story line to be something like Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 (to heck with 4).

To satisfy Gup, give it a on/off switch. :)

Hitting esc twice (getting rid of the quests) is fine, but thanks. =)

On stuttering:

Pre A16, stutters were caused by a couple known things and possibly unknowns.

The first known was that the UFPS camera was updating in the wrong order sometimes causing what would look like FPS lag while your FPS would still say 60fps. That one I fixed early on in A17 development so that will no longer be an issue. This would happen when the CPU's physics update would get out of sync with the game update so it was hard to track at first. I tried some random things until I stumbled onto something that kept those calculations in order.

The other known is Garbage Collection. Prior to A17 we made a LOT of garbage and created a lot of new structs and method level vars during run time. We have now internally all started pushing vars to class members instead of making them in the methods. While it adds a tiny bit more to ram when creating the class initially, it doesn't need to destroy it every time the method is ran. The new effect system that runs buffs, progression, items, and events uses this setup so that processing a lot in one frame won't make a crapton of garbage from all those tiny bits adding up.

There are probably more situations and such that have stuttering but those are the main ones I know about and that we've found and started working on reducing.

For anyone curious, below are my system stats and I never have issues with any Unity based games, or any games for that matter.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

Processor: AMD FX-6300 Six Core Processor (6 CPU) ~3.5GHz

Memory: 20480MB (yeah, I had an extra 4GB ram stick laying around lol)

Video Card: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Hard Drives: 512G SSD (2 of them), 2TB HDD

I have windows installed on one of my SSDs and I keep all my games installed on the other. :)

vulkan, and now this. must be a dream :o

now the single and only thing that must be fixed...

WATER

other than that it is great and it's impossible not to see how well the game has progressed

vulkan, and now this. must be a dream :o

now the single and only thing that must be fixed...

WATER

other than that it is great and it's impossible not to see how well the game has progressed

I can't wait till water is fixed. I asked this a bit before but didn't see anyone answer so here goes: The lagginess around (larger) bodies of water - can this be addressed on its own or is it tied to the eventual overhaul of water?

Thanks!

Archived