Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

42% REMAINING UNTIL A17 IS RELEASED!!! 6% completed in 8 days!

TFP is still making fantastic progress! The new team members are obviously coming up to speed!

My team of experts and retired CIA operatives expect A17 experimental release within 70 days but not sooner than 40 days.

I'm an IT technician myself, and since this happens on multiple Unitygames, and happened on older hardware too with the exact same issue, while not putting any strain on the computer I'd figure its an engine issue.

Well, even if it is unity's fault it still must be basically some data shuffling hitting a bottleneck in the hardware (if we exclude that Unity might just invoke a sleep routine once in a while). Since the processing units (CPU and GPU) are not the culprit.

But your observation suggests the issue is some exponentially/fast growing part of the system hitting a bottleneck. So advances in architecture/speed of the system might not help very much with this issue.

42% REMAINING UNTIL A17 IS RELEASED!!! 6% completed in 8 days!

TFP is still making fantastic progress! The new team members are obviously coming up to speed!

My team of experts and retired CIA operatives expect A17 experimental release within 70 days but not sooner than 40 days.

And people dare to complain. Shame on them.

A lot of unity is still essentially single-threaded. Expect that to change with the new "c# job system" but that's still only available in the beta preview and is up to the individual software house to implement. The job system is slated to be introduced into the main engine sometime in April but that deadline is fast approaching and no word of an actual release date. The job system is also pretty difficult to play with right now so don't expect miracles anytime soon.

The c# job system has manual memory allocation and deallocation, I can see it solving quite a few of c#'s inherent GC issues... if implemented correctly by the software house.

(Imo) This is a good argument to make the health pool static.

A player 1 character and a player 60, have the same health amount but As you level up you get more bonuses.

Like you take less damage from a zeds hit's, Less likely to get sick, Less likely to break a leg(arm) etc,.

If you die: You get these bonuses taken away based on time/percentage. If you die again before these buffs are done cooling down, the percentage stacks but can't be lower than what a level 1 player would have initially.

just my thoughts..

The static health pool is a good idea. Because at the moment leveling up gives you double the bonus. More health and through scrounging/crafting/buying the armour to get less damage from zeds. This multiplier is too good at the moment and makes late game too easy, probably even for newbies.

But I think armour is a good mechanism and rationalization for "you take less damage from a zeds hit, less likely to get sich (from zombie bites)". So debuffs on death sound better to me in this case.

For a suvival game, the only death penalty that makes sense to me is starting over. I hope we get a hardcore mode eventually where u can set your lives to 1 or 2 or 3 even.

Wise man says if u can survive endlessly even if u die, there is no point in trying not to die.

I took this to be what you just mentioned. Obsessive Compulsive just put it out in v10.0....I may be wrong on this though.

Added tool Hardcore. BE CAUTIOUS USING THIS! Players will only have a set amount of lives. Upon losing them all, their zombie kills, player kills, life time,

deaths and score are recorded. They are kicked from the server telling them their final stats and asked to return. They can check their last score

and stats with chat command /score while playing with their new character

Whether the bonus "tankiness" comes from more HP or more buffs doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Having more HP is a simple way to communicate to the player that he is now harder to kill. Simple is good. =)

Heh, DR was just a example among other examples.

Pretty simple for everyone to have a set health pool and giving the player other means to mitigate the damage/sickness/cold/heat and so on, in other areas as they advance in level. Armor already increases DR why the need to increase the HP as well?

If it was just about being simple then why the need to get rid of wellness and go towards fortitude? wellness (even though I didn't like it that much) was a really simple concept. :playful:

Totally agree. I was taught that patience is a virtue. Mind you, I'm vibrating in my chair waiting on BATTLETECH to release... :p

Did you say Battletech? I read something somewhere that they were finally working on a new addition to that series, but I made myself forget about it, because it would hurt too much if it never came to fruition. I miss the old Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries days.

AI Survivors? Raiders? Traveling traders?

Is that a question or a statement?

temba-his-arms-wide.thumb.jpg.d35efa04495cb44a6661d76fb6a9c160.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Did you say Battletech? I read something somewhere that they were finally working on a new addition to that series, but I made myself forget about it, because it would hurt too much if it never came to fruition. I miss the old Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries days.

I miss the old tabletop days, they haven't done a decent version of the boardgame for years. You've got to love a game where you can shoot an enemies arm off and beat him to death with it :-)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BattleTech/

Wellness was simple but HP gain was also too directly tied to eating. That type of simplicity led to weird gamey behavior to increase wellness (HP). HP will increase as a result of fortitude which will increase as a result of playing the game doing a variety of activities. Wellness as a concept will be an accumulation of buffs and debuffs based on what you eat and drink and whether you have been exposed to illness or poisoning. Still a simple concept but now there won't be eating to directly gain HP.

So regarding the color mod on the weapons, is it going to be similar to tinting clothing in the xml (Just a color shift for the entire object) or are they going to be skins (Different camo options,etc.)?

Also, how many attributes are there all together? I've been wishing for a stat system like that for a while, and I'm quite pleased that it's closer than ever.

@Guppy it used to be you saw the little red light next to someone's name and knew to skim past, but since the circle-rep thread the waters have been muddied.

Wellness was simple but HP gain was also too directly tied to eating. That type of simplicity led to weird gamey behavior to increase wellness (HP). HP will increase as a result of fortitude which will increase as a result of playing the game doing a variety of activities. Wellness as a concept will be an accumulation of buffs and debuffs based on what you eat and drink and whether you have been exposed to illness or poisoning. Still a simple concept but now there won't be eating to directly gain HP.

Hehe, It just furthers the point of 'simple' isn't always the best answer.

Oh! and I agree with what you said. :)

@Guppy it used to be you saw the little red light next to someone's name and knew to skim past, but since the circle-rep thread the waters have been muddied.

None of those people were happy enough to join that thread of friendliness and peace. Reds were still red before and after. It really had minimal impact on any one person's status and those who participated were the type of people that would've gravitated toward green anyway.

I don't think people suicide to quickly remove nasty buffs because it's the quickest route, I think they do it because the nasty buffs make the game not fun.

Broken leg, reduced speed and can't jump. Yawn. More tedium.

Infected, reduced stamina, ergo reduced speed and more tedious whacks to get things done. Yawn.

I'd rather these buffs have negative effects that still kept gameplay fun.

Oh darn, I broke my leg again. You know what that means?!?!?! SUPER JUMP!!! YAY!!!

Yes, I saw your later post that better described what you meant and I went ahead and wasted my time on this post. Suck it GUP!

Archived