Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

the bud with black suit is really dedicated.

- - - Updated - - -

But how? What negative effect of a broken leg would still be fun?

Cheers

Try to brake leg in nighttime. Brings lots of emotions. For me is good. Played with one guy that used to die if breaks leg , happened often cuz the height of the base. Till he discovered hay bales, for which I was silent before :)

How about reducing stamina and speed for a while after respawn? Thus negating the advantage of a suicide cure while not making the penalty for death too brutal for people who can't shoot straight, you know, people like me.

I don't know about you but I'm pretty useless before my second cup of coffee in the morning and that's just from sleeping, I'd hate to think how much caffeine I'd have to mainline to wake from death.

I don't think people suicide to quickly remove nasty buffs because it's the quickest route, I think they do it because the nasty buffs make the game not fun.

Broken leg, reduced speed and can't jump. Yawn. More tedium.

Infected, reduced stamina, ergo reduced speed and more tedious whacks to get things done. Yawn.

I'd rather these buffs have negative effects that still kept gameplay fun.

What would you choose as the negative effect for a broken leg? If a broken leg DIDN'T affect your mobility it would be ridiculous.

It's a survival game. I have just as much fun with a broken leg as without. Hell, breaking my leg is why I took over my first PoI instead of making it back to my crappy base for the night. It opened up a whole new way to play the game.

Unsteady walk that makes it hard to aim, screen going red from pain as you move, making it hard to see?

Spitballing.

+1 to adding those buffs anyway, even if it's just for modders to use.

Hopefully one day I'll get my wish of shaking hands from a caffeine overdose, I know from personal experience that it happens in real life :-)

It counts down to the forum exploding when we find out health bars are a standard part of the game with no way to disable them :-)

+1 ^^

XD

We promised MM we wait until we fight the new bosses which made the health bar necessary

Anyone will make a mod that replace the Healthbars with speeches like ?

"Such a ugly Mottherhugger"

"So much blood, you would be a great well pump"

"Is that your arm"

"Was the barber angry"

"You cratched your neck from your belly ?"

That the death penalty is without penalty because you start at the lowest possible max health is one of the things that has to change. But only for higher difficulty settings, new players need this safety net for their first play throughs.

My issue is the additional extra time it takes to move. It's just more grind. Not a fan of grind. I recognize that others are.

And some of the circumstances you break your leg are...ridiculous.

Oh yeah, for sure. It seems way to random too. Fall a foot and half and break your leg. Jump from a 2nd story window and don't even get a sprain.

What is not as easy to measure is the speed with which data is moved around in a computer. For one thing the speed with which you access data from the hard disk might have a big influence on the performance. So as Gepps said, if you don't have an SSD yet, get one. But once you have the fastest SSD there are limits how much your internal SATA or PCIe bus system can transfer. SATA3 aka SATA 6G's limit is about 500MB/s. Modern SSDs are already slowed down by that, you need a M.2 SSD and a suitable motherboard to go beyond that. If you don't even have SATA 6G, well, a SSD would still help, but not that much.

But also the speed with which data gets from RAM to CPU or back, i.e. caches and internal bus speeds might be limits for a game that needs to process so much data. Sadly to raise these limits (IF they are the bottleneck) you would have to buy a server CPU like Threatripper or Intel Xeon. Generally it helps to have a modern motherboard, which usually gets you at least slightly better internal busses, latest tech RAM (DDR4), PCIe, M.2

So my advice would be: If you have an older motherboard and some spare cash, even if the CPU and GPU look like they can handle everything, get a new motherboard with M.2 interface, not the slowest RAM, any affordable mid-range Zen or Intel CPU will do and probably your old GPU as well.

Didnt really feel a need to post my specs since no part of the system was being taxed, and forgot to mention that harddrive access is not running high either, however, my current system is a i7-4970 4Ghz, 24G DDR3 ram (3200Mhz), Gainward GTX 1070, Separate OS and game SSD's, (samsung 850Evo's)

I'm an IT technician myself, and since this happens on multiple Unitygames, and happened on older hardware too with the exact same issue, while not putting any strain on the computer I'd figure its an engine issue.

The Red Bar is for loading and unloading form ideas only.

The Yellow Bar is for emergency vehicles, salty tear deliveries and 5 minute wall of texts only.

Would you like your A17 release smoking or non smoking?

Didnt really feel a need to post my specs since no part of the system was being taxed, and forgot to mention that harddrive access is not running high either, however, my current system is a i7-4970 4Ghz, 24G DDR3 ram (3200Mhz), Gainward GTX 1070, Separate OS and game SSD's, (samsung 850Evo's)

I'm an IT technician myself, and since this happens on multiple Unitygames, and happened on older hardware too with the exact same issue, while not putting any strain on the computer I'd figure its an engine issue.

All i can say is that my PC

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EHTmWZtmSqzIH53S08erDOl

Can play this game decent. Sure there are situations the FPS are lower than wished. But at all i have no real complaints.

That bigger changes in the game cause a FPS drop i never percived.

That the death penalty is without penalty because you start at the lowest possible max health is one of the things that has to change. But only for higher difficulty settings, new players need this safety net for their first play throughs.

(Imo) This is a good argument to make the health pool static.

A player 1 character and a player 60, have the same health amount but As you level up you get more bonuses.

Like you take less damage from a zeds hit's, Less likely to get sick, Less likely to break a leg(arm) etc,.

If you die: You get these bonuses taken away based on time/percentage. If you die again before these buffs are done cooling down, the percentage stacks but can't be lower than what a level 1 player would have initially.

just my thoughts..

Unsteady walk that makes it hard to aim, screen going red from pain as you move, making it hard to see?

Spitballing.

I'm not a fan of grind either and these suggestions actually are pretty cool.

The not-being-able-to-jump is pretty bad when you're stuck and need to jump to get out of a spot. Maybe slow down temporarily when you jump with a broken leg.

The not-being-able-to-jump is pretty bad when you're stuck and need to jump to get out of a spot. Maybe slow down temporarily when you jump with a broken leg.

I would hate that much more. But i cant remember my last broken leg, so i dont care.

Yeh, a stun-after-jump (quick stun, just to make it annoying but not grindy).

For a suvival game, the only death penalty that makes sense to me is starting over. I hope we get a hardcore mode eventually where u can set your lives to 1 or 2 or 3 even.

Wise man says if u can survive endlessly even if u die, there is no point in trying not to die.

In KSP, the stutter is usually caused by garbage collection. You can reduce the frequency of the stutter by padding the memory heap with a mod. KSP is also still somewhat single core limited for ships with high part counts.

I don’t know what role GC plays in 7dtd but I would not be surprised if it was a substantial contributor on horde nights. GC may also be one of the main culprits with lag/stutter caused by the electrical system.

For a suvival game, the only death penalty that makes sense to me is starting over. I hope we get a hardcore mode eventually where u can set your lives to 1 or 2 or 3 even.

Wise man says if u can survive endlessly even if u die, there is no point in trying not to die.

There was a talk about this mode actually, I remember that Roland and Joel played like that and fans loved it, including both me and you ;)

Archived