Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So an engine issue not a design one? Since I don't know anything about what is under the hood I can't argue.

But one last bit of your time think of this. I am not worried about the Nostalgia here this is purely gameplay.

Currently we have 7 biomes

Planes - medium

Forest - easy

Pine Forest - easy

Desert - hard

Snow - hard

Wasteland - very hard

Burnt - very hard

You are removing 2. That is going to leave us with:

Pine Forest - easy

Desert - hard

Snow - hard

Wasteland - very hard

Burnt - very hard

This leaves us with basically 1 easy biome. That means either this single biome will be very common cutting down on variety or the starts are going to be miserable.

Burnt is just ugly and hard to see anything and filled with fire crackling all the time. And is very hot all the time and very little wildlife.

Wasteland is ugly and has no trees with random land mines and very little wildlife no planting food or finding clay.

Desert is pretty, but no trees no clay and very few animals along being hot all the time no planting food or finding clay.

Snow is pretty but the temps and the snow zombies are murder for beginners there is no planting food or finding clay.

Basically we are left with a single biome that is "good" food clay trees animals and decent temperature. Having only 1 good biome sounds like a bad idea.

We also don't yet know the size of the redesigned biome, so, maybe, rather than a patchwork of smaller ones, we have a single big biome with the same purpose

It’s moot whether they give vertical targeting to one or all zombies. Even if they give the ability to just the spider even I am good enough at modding to spread that ability around. It only takes one.

We have modding as a fallback, yes. But to say it's moot is to say it doesn't matter how the vanilla game turns out, and I have to disagree with you there.

Gameplay trumps realism?

Maybe the jeep should have no storage then. You move faster, you don't get extra storage. Or make better tools give you less resources. You chop faster, you get less materials. :)

I see no gameplay win here.

If you want to gameplay and realism to be in balance, tweak the draw and aiming down sights animation speed. Silencers make the weapon longer and heavier.

I'm totally down for a fast vehicle with no storage space! That sounds like a great operational role to fill, just probably not with the jeep. Whether there should be a vehicle that gives you both comes down to the design: whether you model things horizontally (ex. a wrench is for harvesting, a hammer is for constructing) or vertically (ex. the player progressively upgrades from a wrench to a hammer).

You're giving examples of horizontal designs, but that's not the only approach to gameplay. I do like your idea of silencers slowing down the draw speed though.

Maybe i'm missing something here but a head shot with a suppressed firearm is still a head shot and should still do the same amount of damage to the brain as a bullet that isn't suppressed because even a suppressed bullet is still moving fast enough to pierce the skull go through the brain and hit the other side of the skull ergo dead zombie.

@ Suppressor discussion:

This is a game and the "silencer" models a movie type silencer.

Still, a gun would require cold-loaded ammo to have any realistic hope of being silent so the end result of lower energy/damage can be put on the silencer item.

Folks can argue all they want about how any specific part of that is unrealistic and explain how much more micromanagement is absolutely required to modify and operate firearms. To that I only say: zombies.

It's totally fine by me that suppressor doesn't fully silence a weapon. I just don't like the illogical damage reduction.

And i'd rather have subsonic ammo then "silencer" that reduces damage...

Especially considering madmole's gameplay footage where it took a ridiculous amount of shots to take down the zombies...

No point to get caught in details. Balancing takes place before the release, too early for that.

I thought so too. However, the way it is currently these gore blocks (maybe past alphas they ran differently?) can't stack, which causes a lot of lost loot during horde night. Is there a way to allow this block to stack in the xmls? Could be an easy fix, and after having a couple stacked on top the spikes would be rendered useless (from the top until dead zeds on the sides cover them up). On that note though, they look like they only take up half a block space, so when they stack there would probably be that gap of "air" between them. Some may see that as immersion breaking.

The discussion was about the old gore-block system which I'm sure you remember, the current corpse blocks also have their flaws.

They don't stack which means that you'll only ever have one corpse block above a spike which is never enough to allow Z's to climb up and go over your walls.

The other issue is that if the corpse block is on a spike then quite often a Z will become crippled by a nearby spike and crawl under the corpse block, using its fallen comrade as a shield.

If compound blocks make it into the game I'd like to see the old gore-block system returning, even if its only a mod, even if it means losing precious loot.

Yes, I remember now. We were talking about it around the time that Madmole was showing us videos of destroyed building martials being turned into rubble (or dirt like rubble). So I brought up the idea of why not gore blocks? I did not know that there was someone already working on a mod for that. So I suggested to TFP's that they check out this guy's mod. Sadly, TFP's did not seem interested. Roland moved my post and his to another part of the forum.

How about getting bullets from NPC's after completing quests? Seeing that they are often more useful than Duke's.

Maybe even get bullets from him when you agree to do the ques. Plus the promise of getting a lot more after completion as incentive to get it done soon. :)

But you may have to put in something to make sure you got the right ammo. It would not do the player any good getting shotgun shells from the quest giver if all you have is a pistol.

Gameplay trumps realism?

Maybe the jeep should have no storage then. You move faster, you don't get extra storage. Or make better tools give you less resources. You chop faster, you get less materials. :)

I see no gameplay win here.

"No gamplay win". Exactly, that might be why those changes are not in the game. If you had listed something where gameplay actually gets better (for example ridiculous amounts of building resources in your backpack) then that might actually already be in the game despite realism.

and if a silencer were putting a 20% damage decrease on that.

Sure, also 100% damage reduction would not really work :smile-new:. How about better balanced numbers: Say 2% damage reduction or 5%. Any number that at least makes the average player think about whether to add the silencer (because he expects to go into POIs) or leave it out (because he wants the 2% damage more than a silent gun atm).

Otherwise there would be no drawback to always adding the silencer. In that case the developers probably would severly restrict mod slots to a low number so that you would have to choose which mods you like more.

Maybe i'm missing something here but a head shot with a suppressed firearm is still a head shot and should still do the same amount of damage to the brain as a bullet that isn't suppressed because ...

Yes, you missed the principle "gameplay trumps realism"

Maybe even get bullets from him when you agree to do the ques. Plus the promise of getting a lot more after completion as incentive to get it done soon. :)

But you may have to put in something to make sure you got the right ammo. It would not do the player any good getting shotgun shells from the quest giver if all you have is a pistol.

This could be interesting, cause then you have to choose to either waste the bullets and make the job easier or save them and make the job harder.

How about Dukes scrapping to brass? It's about the only resource which must be looted instead of mined, harvested, or created. The laws of supply and demand would say that brass would be the preferred form of currency.

It would also make the treasure maps truly worth following.

+Character attributes added to better create classes and differentiate play styles.

Any comments on this yet? Not wild about the idea of classes that limit skills/buffs i can take so I'm hoping that's not what this is.

No details yet. But classes don't need to limit skills. There are modern RPG systems where attributes and classes just give you advantages/bonus leves in some skills and possibly disadvantages/level mali in other skills.

I hope vanila is done that way. Because when a lot of skills are limited to classes it makes it really difficult to balance single player with co-op multiplayer. And even in co-op it is a problem: Who's gets to be the "loser" who has to take the utility class for the "benefit" of the group?

They could make it so you get to choose which ammo type. So for normal ones

You can choose 9mm, 7.62, shotgun and 44 iton arrow, iron bolt.

If he gives special one it could be:

Fire arrow, slug, explosive, steel arrow.

Obviously that list can be changed up.

Or the choices depend on which kind of ammo you can make. Though that would restrict people who don’t learn those recipes/perks.

How about Dukes scrapping to brass? It's about the only resource which must be looted instead of mined, harvested, or created. The laws of supply and demand would say that brass would be the preferred form of currency.

It would also make the treasure maps truly worth following.

That would be a game changer for sure. Instead of using the spiked club 90% of the time, I might use the SMG 90% (If the durability is drastically improved that is).

Otherwise there would be no drawback to always adding the silencer. In that case the developers probably would severly restrict mod slots to a low number so that you would have to choose which mods you like more.

This actually would make alot of sense. A muzzlebreak and a silencer shouldnt be able to be mounted at the same time. And it shouldnt be able to mount a grip and a bipod at the same time either. And so on. Restriction per type of attachment is important. And silencers would still have the drawback of making the gun weigh more. A stamina effect would make this actually have an impact. -1 stamina per shot with normal pistol, the heavier it gets, the more stamina per shot because of the recoil and general weight. Something like that.

This actually would make alot of sense. A muzzlebreak and a silencer shouldnt be able to be mounted at the same time. And it shouldnt be able to mount a grip and a bipod at the same time either. And so on. Restriction per type of attachment is important. And silencers would still have the drawback of making the gun weigh more. A stamina effect would make this actually have an impact. -1 stamina per shot with normal pistol, the heavier it gets, the more stamina per shot because of the recoil and general weight. Something like that.

Perhaps running around with a 'heavier' item equipped should cause faster degradation of stamina, but I don't think that shooting a firearm should cause loss of stamina. Forward grips and bipods aren't mutually exclusive though considering the limited weaponry in game, would look goofy on anything except the "Sniper Rifle". Just my $0.02.

Max Stamina = Fullness level

Stamina will only regen up to the modified max (how much fuel you have in the tank AKA Food.)

Keep it topped off longer with good hearty foods that will provide an over time fullness rather than a simple jolt of energy

Water controls the regen rate of both stamina and HP (current value and max). It will also restore some Stamina. If you're dehydrated you regen stamina and hp slower. (Min 25% regen speed) This means that eating while low on water won't do you as much good as eating while hydrated.

HP is how much fight you currently have in you. The modified max hp is how banged up you are. (Min 25% of actual max hp) This means that you can quick fix some bleeding and such in a fight (hp) but for each point of health lost you lose a fraction of your max HP. Using higher end healing items will restore this, as will time. Similar to a recovery time after a bad fight. Patch it up proper and it'll heal faster, let it go and it'll still heal, it will just take longer and give you less overall hp for your next fight.

Not sounds good =(

"

Snipped for space

Yes, you missed the principle "gameplay trumps realism"

I agree with this wholeheartedly. When ever guns come up people start yelling about realism and their immersion.

Never mind the fact that they carry an auger, 1000s of units of gas, a chain saw, a pick axe, metal ingots to fix it, food, dozens of bottles of drinks and on and on and on.

And silencers would still have the drawback of making the gun weigh more. A stamina effect would make this actually have an impact. -1 stamina per shot with normal pistol, the heavier it gets, the more stamina per shot because of the recoil and general weight. Something like that.

Interesting idea but difficult to balance. Because stamina regen is needed for advanced tools and running anyway that disadvantage (at -1 stamina per shot) would be practially irrelevant after the first week.

Even if you dial the stamina loss up to combat this, the impact will always be a "moving target", maybe too much in early game (especially if you like some form of realism), too little in the later game.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. When ever guns come up people start yelling about realism and their immersion.

Never mind the fact that they carry an auger, 1000s of units of gas, a chain saw, a pick axe, metal ingots to fix it, food, dozens of bottles of drinks and on and on and on.

Hey, we like are guns. :)

As for the rest. You've never been camping have you.

Archived