Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Hey Fun Pimps, any plan to launch Gyro? I remember when you showcase it was not planned to be part of A17, but in last video I see one can spawn gyro, so is it making A17 or not?

Even if they don't officially make it in, I hope they can be modded in like the bandits were one time so we can screw around with them.

Hey faatal

What about breaking blocks? Can zombies break blocks or hatches above them or below them? In the past they stood too close to fences so that their swings never hit and they get stuck. Any work done on having them stand back a bit when breaking blocks? These are things I would suggest as a Rust Buddy.

They try to break blocks now when a path says to go through a block, but the random hitting makes it flaky.

This is one of the next things I plan to address, like this week. Random block hitting has got to change to targeted hits when needed.

They try to break blocks now when a path says to go through a block, but the random hitting makes it flaky.

This is one of the next things I plan to address, like this week. Random block hitting has got to change to targeted hits when needed.

Any chance you'll add a blocklist property to whatever you're using for ai-tasks, i.e. targetblocklist name="listofblocks"? That way, we can prioritize them a bit?

]Trust me the new art will make you quickly forget about the old stuff. One gorgeous forest is better than two ♥♥♥♥ty ones".

I hope They stole some ideas from "The Forrest".

Their forrest atmosphere is amazing!

faatal

One of the biggest things that bother me is that zombies seem to randomly attack everything when they wakeup in a building and can't get to you. For example: I'm outside of a POI, either breaking in or shooting zombies with a noisy weapon. The sleepers wake up and start tearing though walls and other things.

I would be great if they would choose to try the door first on POI's or a window. That way it is an easier path for them and random stuff like loot would not get destroyed.

Sometimes coming through a wall can be cool. Or when your on the stairwell and suddenly it gives way and a hand comes out through them to grab you. Because they are behind the stairwell breaking though. :)

But much of the time it's just random destruction and much too easy for me to kill them. Like when a zombie is trying to get in and I come out and attack them in the back or they are attacking some random block and I walk right up to them and smash them. Sometimes they wont even fight back. Just keep attacking the block.

Hoping that gets fixed.

Personally I think that among the biomes it's the wasteland and burnt forests that should be sub-biomes. They make the least sense to have as full sized biomes and are also just generally unpleasant visually. Plus it'd make those biomes easier to balance considering there's valuable resources in them if they were smaller in size.

If removals are necessary for performance then I can understand it and there's not much to be done, it just stinks because variety has a lot of value to keep the game from getting boring and stale aesthetically.

I really like the variable animation speeds for the guns, will that also work for melee weapons? Would be nice for modding in items using existing animations but wanting to tweak the attack speeds.

That seems to be the "why" they're making the change; this way, we can change the speed and the animation would follow suit.

When Madmole Makes Chocolate Chip Cookies For Lunch...

COOKIE-DOUGH-6-copy.jpg

"Those look lumpy. Is that intended?"

"Madmole dropped a cookie once while eating. Don't you find it weird that since he didn't eat that cookie perfectly he is still making cookies?"

"Those look like they're still raw!!! Why are you going with raw instead of baked?

"I rate this picture a 3 out of 10 because I always assumed it was going to be Snickerdoodles"

"Eating raw cookie dough is bad for you. You could get salmonella."

"I don't see milk in the picture. Your lunch will fail since you aren't going to have milk"

"Girl Scouts are doing their cookie rush soon. These should have been baked a month ago. Now you won't want to eat these with your lunch if you have Thin Mints in the freezer."

"Why are you going with the metal pan format instead of using a stone?"

I would say this could also be the doorway to 7D2D part2. MM specifically made a point to show this.

My impression was, MM saw this interesting groove in the hillside with a road and wanted to look "what's behind that curtain", because he didn't seem to know himself (he thought it would lead to somewhere and was surprised that the road ended).

He also thought it wasn't finished. My guess is that it is supposed to be an unfinished road leading nowhere.

COOKIE-DOUGH-6-copy.jpg

"The middle one on the last row doesn't look so good. I hope this will be corrected before baking or someone will have to change that on the finished cookie"

"My impression was, MM wanted to make panna cotta instead, because he obviously doesn't know anything about cookies. Looks somewhat dry. My guess is that there should have been a caramel sauce, but whoever did that missed the bus"

Thanks for the video. As always, I have my list of feedback.

1. Silencer looks nice. Is the stealth system already properly implemented? Else the silencer might just be eye-candy.

2. You said something about new AI/pathing. But I don't see any changes as compared with A16. At 1:23 (and at 1:34, and at 2:53) I see the spawned zombie not walking towards you. Is this intended? It just looks.. Very poor. Even compared with A16.

3. The ragdoll-effect-upon-stunning looks.. Fake. It just plops over and even moves on the ground (at 1:48 and at 2:42, and at 12:50, and at 13:23, and at 13:45, and at 15:44, and at 19:06, and at 19:22, and at 19:49, and at 21:24). Is this intended? How about him jumping into the air at 2:16? Or at 11:20? or at 11:29? Or at 17:02? Or at 17:33? How about him doing some sort of Jesus-move at 13:49? Or the guys getting stuck at 14:40, and his weird-looking leg? The stun animation seriously needs to be redone.

4. Adjusted walking speed. Meh. That was not one of the major issues in the game, was it?

5. I kinda see where you wanted to go with the blacked out portion of the health/stamina bars, but in stead of sleeping recharging it (like in many other survival games), you went with eating/drinking? Meh.

6. Over 70 new dungeons for this build? I sincerely hope not all houses are converted into these dungeons..?

7. New model of Trader Joel looks nice.

8. Why is it that you can hit a tree with a jeep with full speed, and not damage the jeep? The trees falls down.

9. Oh, now A17 is getting close to Beta? Make. Up. Your. Mind.

10. Got rid of the Plains biome? Why. Why. Why? Yeah that's what this game needs. Less diversity.

11. Got rid of the Maple forest biome? Oh jeez... So there's only 5 biomes left in the world? Lol. Monotomy ahead.

12. Perishton looks nice, I have to admit. Please tell me that not all buildings are dungeons. Please.

13. The AI is gonna blow us away when it is in, you guys. Trust me. Believe me. Guys.

14. Dead-drop quests sound nice.

15. The health kit seems bugged.

16. #completelynewgame

17. You said you have new terrain tools. Will we get them?

All in all I'm afraid I can't rate the video more than a 5 or 6 out of 10 man.

In the near future when someone takes one of your posts as being more negative than you intend, look back at this post. Reading this kind of crap from you over and over is why people read your posts and assume you are being negative. Even the few times you aren't really.

"9. Oh, now A17 is getting close to Beta? Make. Up. Your. Mind." I mean look at that one comment. (And this wasn't near the most snide one of the post) That is EXACTLY how the Beta remark has been repeated and explained a few dozen times now. A17 is near Beta. It is such a big overhaul that is seems like Beta. It is NOT Beta. If it was, THEY WOULD CALL IT B1 not A17.

I don't have time to go over everything else but this is exactly the kind of post that makes most of us roll our eyes when we see a new post from you.

Had to add one more. "Fake. It just plops over and even moves on the ground (at 1:48 and at 2:42, and at 12:50, and at 13:23, and at 13:45, and at 15:44, and at 19:06, and at 19:22, and at 19:49, and at 21:24)" That has to be the most ♥♥♥♥ comment I've ever seen. Exactly what possessed you to mark down that many examples of how this UNFINISHED ALPHA release doesn't look exactly right to your expert eyes? Lol

I keep hearing some POIs were redesigned as dungeon style. Does the "70 new level designed POI's" in the first post include those, or are they 70 brand new ones.

Basically I want to know if we are gaining 70 POIs but maybe losing 30 others that were redesigned into dungeon style. The more the better...why cant we keep both versions...for variety

In the near future when someone takes one of your posts as being more negative than you intend, look back at this post. Reading this kind of crap from you over and over is why people read your posts and assume you are being negative. Even the few times you aren't really.

"9. Oh, now A17 is getting close to Beta? Make. Up. Your. Mind." I mean look at that one comment. (And this wasn't near the most snide one of the post) That is EXACTLY how the Beta remark has been repeated and explained a few dozen times now. A17 is near Beta. It is such a big overhaul that is seems like Beta. It is NOT Beta. If it was, THEY WOULD CALL IT B1 not A17.

I don't have time to go over everything else but this is exactly the kind of post that makes most of us roll our eyes when we see a new post from you.

Had to add one more. "Fake. It just plops over and even moves on the ground (at 1:48 and at 2:42, and at 12:50, and at 13:23, and at 13:45, and at 15:44, and at 19:06, and at 19:22, and at 19:49, and at 21:24)" That has to be the most ♥♥♥♥ comment I've ever seen. Exactly what possessed you to mark down that many examples of how this UNFINISHED ALPHA release doesn't look exactly right to your expert eyes? Lol

Well, you see that I also posted postive feedback. Not just negative. That's the entire point, right? But if someone only wants to see the negative ones, I can't stop them.

My A17 = Beta remark was because in one video MM states that A17 is beta. It equals it. In the next video he says its getting close to it. This vagueness is not really helping IMHO.

And my remarks regarding the ragdoll effect? Yeah, I know it is unfinished. Did I say I took it for finished content anywhere? No. That's what you assume (like certain people). It was intented to show what was clearly not good yet. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Sure, roll around with your eyes if you want. Perhaps you can spot the horse blinders..

COOKIE-DOUGH-6-copy.jpg

"Those look lumpy. Is that intended?"

"Madmole dropped a cookie once while eating. Don't you find it weird that since he didn't eat that cookie perfectly he is still making cookies?"

"Those look like they're still raw!!! Why are you going with raw instead of baked?

"I rate this picture a 3 out of 10 because I always assumed it was going to be Snickerdoodles"

"Eating raw cookie dough is bad for you. You could get salmonella."

"I don't see milk in the picture. Your lunch will fail since you aren't going to have milk"

"Girl Scouts are doing their cookie rush soon. These should have been baked a month ago. Now you won't want to eat these with your lunch if you have Thin Mints in the freezer."

Hmm that reminds me with the whole raw/baked comment. Will we still be able use the uma system to make new zeds for modding? or is that completely going away?

Well, you see that I also posted postive feedback. Not just negative. That's the entire point, right? But if someone only wants to see the negative ones, I can't stop them.

My A17 = Beta remark was because in one video MM states that A17 is beta. It equals it. In the next video he says its getting close to it. This vagueness is not really helping IMHO.

And my remarks regarding the ragdoll effect? Yeah, I know it is unfinished. Did I say I took it for finished content anywhere? No. That's what you assume (like certain people). It was intented to show what was clearly not good yet. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Sure, roll around with your eyes if you want. Perhaps you can spot the horse blinders..

Yeah, that is the point but even you have to admit that the list of times was a bit much. I mean that kind of snide remark is why we don't get as many videos and updates as we did in past Alphas. (In my opinion.) Negative feedback is: "The ragdoll effect doesn't look right." And one or MAYBE two timestamps to show. You have TEN timestamps to make one point. You know you were being an a$$. Just admit it and move on.

Personally I think that among the biomes it's the wasteland and burnt forests that should be sub-biomes. They make the least sense to have as full sized biomes...

+1

It would make sense if burnt forest would be sub biome of forest and wasteland would be sub biome of rural area that got bombed.

Hmm that reminds me with the whole raw/baked comment. Will we still be able use the uma system to make new zeds for modding? or is that completely going away?

@Kinyajuu

That's a good question; If that new trader is a baked guy, does that the player characters are UMA mean we still have a chance to keep our UMA zeds?

Yeah, that is the point but even you have to admit that the list of times was a bit much. I mean that kind of snide remark is why we don't get as many videos and updates as we did in past Alphas. (In my opinion.) Negative feedback is: "The ragdoll effect doesn't look right." And one or MAYBE two timestamps to show. You have TEN timestamps to make one point. You know you were being an a$$. Just admit it and move on.

Nope, I just analysed the video so that I would help development. I honestly figured I would help TFP if I point out the problems in individual zombies. And I didn't feel like going back to every timestamp I posted to see whether they involved the same zombie..

Archived