Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Wish they would've removed the wasteland biome instead of the plains , though

i'd rather see biomes beeing as they was. What good is a biome few use?

Nice to see no workstation required to put on weapon mod like the silencer.

Question about regdoll.

In the video, Joel says that the reglogall we see is the first results of working on it and that's why it looks so bad.

But we've already seen regdoll when stunned in one of the past videos right here:

What changed? Why did regdall become worse? And how did it happen that the zombies are stunned to spin on the ground?

I could be wrong, but i think the arms have another joint or so... they seam much more flexible.

I am excited to see the Alpha 17 progress bar take a big hit this weekend.

Are we there yet?

No.

Are we there yet?

No.

Are we there yet?

Don't make me pull this 4X4 over!

Geeze touchy!

No but seriously before we know it we will all be loving life spending embarrassing amounts of time playing 7DTD again and I for one can't wait!

He said it would in the video, but my guess is that they just found a cool way to end the roads... you'll notice that the road became more and more impassible.

There would be no technical reasons why they couldn't load up yet another map. It could be random or another pre-built location. I would say this could also be the doorway to 7D2D part2. MM specifically made a point to show this.

Or any of the above! Players choice! :)

One thing I find myself wishing for and I know this runs contrary to everyone's wish for less UI clutter but I would love a mini-map in the upper left corner while driving vehicles it would help tremendously when navigating terrain.

Does anyone else think this would be a nice addition?

There would be no technical reasons why they couldn't load up yet another map. It could be random or another pre-built location. I would say this could also be the doorway to 7D2D part2. MM specifically made a point to show this.

Or any of the above! Players choice! :)

The more I think about it the better i like it! The journey to part 2 could only be accomplished using the jeep, as the intermittent map has no food or water, it's one big wasteland biome! Until you reach the other side where the 7D2D part2 map starts.

This would prevent players from starting Part 2 until they are strong enough and bring the right equipment needed to help whoever is in need!

Also, we are at 45% remaining! TFP are moving at full speed with about 7% done in a week!

If they keep up that amazing speed they will be ready in 45 days!!!!

What's that sound? Off in the distance, some kind of whistle blowing... *Toot toot!* What could it be?? :D

Question about regdoll.

In the video, Joel says that the reglogall we see is the first results of working on it and that's why it looks so bad.

But we've already seen regdoll when stunned in one of the past videos right here:

What changed? Why did regdall become worse? And how did it happen that the zombies are stunned to spin on the ground?

Yeah the ragdoll effect looks rather bad and immersion breaking. That's why I posted a few pages back a list of all the instances it happened in this video. Hope this will get a massive workover, or be removed.

One thing I find myself wishing for and I know this runs contrary to everyone's wish for less UI clutter but I would love a mini-map in the upper left corner while driving vehicles it would help tremendously when navigating terrain.

Does anyone else think this would be a nice addition?

They had a minimap and got rid of it (thankfully) I would only appreciate it if it came in the form of a lootable 'GPS' type object, that had to be found/powered etc

But shady in its operation, kinda like a pipboy...

I'm just wondering. What will they use to replace the plains biome? The forest biome? Both in Navezgane and in Random Gen.

The same applies to the maple forest biome. Will the game just be one big forest (be it either burned or with snow), and some desert here and there?

I'm just wondering. What will they use to replace the plains biome? The forest biome? Both in Navezgane and in Random Gen.

The same applies to the maple forest biome. Will the game just be one big forest (be it either burned or with snow), and some desert here and there?

I can't understand why you're so worried... TFP are not dumb fools, they'll surely find a way to use the new A17 biome configuration in a nice way, that's what Joel said "Trust me the new art will make you quickly forget about the old stuff. One gorgeous forest is better than two ♥♥♥♥ty ones".

I'd say after so much time in development you either trust the devs will do a good job or you don't.

I can't understand why you're so worried... TFP are not dumb fools, they'll surely find a way to use the new A17 biome configuration in a nice way, that's what Joel said "Trust me the new art will make you quickly forget about the old stuff. One gorgeous forest is better than two ♥♥♥♥ty ones".

I'd say after so much time in development you either trust the devs will do a good job or you don't.

I'm not per se worried. I'm just wondering why the decision to cut 2 biomes was made all of a sudden (from our perspective). And this is not about trust, thank you, I was honestly wondering what they will do now.

But it's nice to see that my honest question gets twisted around and results in a semi-personal attack/strawman-galore. That seems to be the trend here on the forum.

It's almost always best for some section of a group to find fault in what is made/presented/designed. If counter-points can be presented in a professional way and not childishly insulting, then it tends to be more useful.

The only exception I know if is in emergency situations. Discussion then can be disastrous.

Trying to blend more than 4 textures on one surface pass sounds bad anyway: it would become visually indistinct. What's the most the game would want to blend if it could? 6 textures? That would allow influence from the next and previous voxel in the x, y, & z dimensions. I assume different channels (diffuse, specular, normal, etc.) have to be rendered on different passes anyway.

Couldn't this new shader be written with some rules for which textures take priority, and just blend among the top 4? Again, I don't think players would even be aware of missing textures if they're already looking at a blend of 4 different ones.

The thing is, subbiomes aren't a substitute for biomes. There's less control over their shape, and as far as I know you can't have sub-subbiomes. That means, for example, a plains subbiome wouldn't have clay deposits or denser stands of trees sprinkled within it like we have now, and the distribution of ore veins under it would be more generic.

And, while I admit the gameplay of the two forests is similar, to the notion that "plains is just basically desert," I have to point out that a ground made out of sand instead of a ground made out of dirt is kind of a big deal.

The one advantage I do see is that this could mean fewer odd transitions, like cold, wet snow one block away from hot, dry desert, depending on how it's implemented.

Max Stamina = Fullness level

Stamina will only regen up to the modified max (how much fuel you have in the tank AKA Food.)

Keep it topped off longer with good hearty foods that will provide an over time fullness rather than a simple jolt of energy

You mean Max Stamina = Base level + Fullness level, right? Don't tell me we can't sprint when we're hungry. Didn't you guys watch Madagascar? :D

Thirst is less obvious but as you play you will notice the recovery speed difference between fully hydrated and completely thirsty. If your stamina is refilling slowly then you know to drink something.

But then, would you ever not want to drink something? This might be missing an opportunity to present more interesting choices. Me, I don't like that hydration and fullness can go beyond 100%. Full should mean you are full. So if you drink at 99% hydration, it could cap at 100% and you'd be wasting most of it. Then you'd have a tradeoff.

how about a slider control for hud brightness?

its too bright as it is at the moment at night in the game if you are trying to sneak about without lights.

even with all the curtains closed on a real life rainy day with the reflection off the screen and the bright hud in your eyes you simply have to have a mining helmet or the game is almost unplayable at night in the game

plus if it could go all the way off that would satisfy those who would like it gone completely

I'm not per se worried. I'm just wondering why the decision to cut 2 biomes was made all of a sudden (from our perspective). And this is not about trust, thank you, I was honestly wondering what they will do now.

But it's nice to see that my honest question gets twisted around and results in a semi-personal attack/strawman-galore. That seems to be the trend here on the forum.

The reason why has been already explained loud and clear by Madmole in his own post... how could you miss it?

As for the "semi-personal attack/strawman-galore" I don't know what to say... I couldn't care less about attacking you for any reason, you just gave me the impression of the kind of person who's always asking too many questions instead of letting things "flow". But I understand that is a question of attitude, guess everyone is different.

For me this is a great game but it is "just a game" after all. I see the devs are passionate about it and are (all in all) doing a great job, so I don't lose too much time wondering about this or that or trying to step on the devs toes.

If you are paranoid about people targeting you personally, that's your problem not mine. :behindsofa:

I'm surprised that none of the people complaining about the hit point bar "ruining their verisimilitude" have commented on the huge intrusive quest markers in front of the houses. I'm expecting that they won't all be visible when A17 comes out - only one in front of the house that contains the quest you're currently doing. But it's still a huge blow to any kind of realism to have a huge ! in front of you when you're walking around the town. It's as intrusive in the game as it is in this paragraph!

Can we get a confirmation that they'll be invisible in the game, and any kind of quest marker we get will just be on the map and/or compass rather than in the main view?

Also, while I realise that DaVegaNL was being rather rude in his post and not all their points were valid, one of them was...

Can we also get a confirmation that (especially in random maps) there will still be plenty of open-plan buildings for freeform exploration and they won't all be replaced by linear "dungeon" buildings?

Not to sound like a jerk to people stating their worries for a game they hopefully enjoy and dont just enjoy complaining about. We are just seeing test footage they are giving us to stay intrested. I'm sure during experimental if there are to many complaints about a feature they will make adjustments. Frankly I'm happy to see anything, with the thoughts this is NOT a final product.

Not to sound like a jerk to people stating their worries for a game they hopefully enjoy and dont just enjoy complaining about. We are just seeing test footage they are giving us to stay intrested. I'm sure during experimental if there are to many complaints about a feature they will make adjustments. Frankly I'm happy to see anything, with the thoughts this is NOT a final product.

You sound good. Just some ppl are not informed enough to watch what they complain about. There are always, happened to me, too.

But yes, slowly locking the content is proven now with the new video, nothing easy is on pimps way, we must be happy for the time they spend and keep us up with the developement :)

Archived