Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The problem with the healthbar is, that it gets everyone crazy as ♥♥♥♥. i already got quiet clear that the fun pimps dont want to announce any kind of release date but still it is a bit unfair that they keep shoving glowing coals up our assesto keep us on the egde. i mean if it ould at least give us SOME sefull info it would ease our pain alot. doesnt need to a date, but maybe a word about how much work is actually left to finish or something like that

You all do know that the healthbar above is Rolands subtle way of getting us used to a huge bar at top of screen so when A17 drops we will be so used to it there that we won't mind it.

"Objects on your screen may appear smaller than they are"

The problem with the healthbar is, that it gets everyone crazy as ♥♥♥♥. i already got quiet clear that the fun pimps dont want to announce any kind of release date but still it is a bit unfair that they keep shoving glowing coals up our assesto keep us on the egde. i mean if it ould at least give us SOME sefull info it would ease our pain alot. doesnt need to a date, but maybe a word about how much work is actually left to finish or something like that

The HP bar is Roland's representation of how much work is left.

Where he gets the data for it, I don't know.

i mean if it ould at least give us SOME sefull info it would ease our pain alot. doesnt need to a date, but maybe a word about how much work is actually left to finish or something like that

Here is someone that really didn't get the healthbar. Warrior044, the healthbar is the usefull info, it is nearly as much as TFP themselves know.

Programming, especially when the end result isn't exactly specified (as is typical with games), is highly dynamic. Even an experienced programmer might think he needs 1 month for a feature, but in reality it could be 2 or even 3 months. A well-known rule is Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. And then It could become apparent that it doesn't work or isn't fun and is scraped.

Parallel to the developers ticking off features or progressing in implementing them Roland will shrink the pink bar. So if you watch the bar for a few weeks and note the speed with which it decreases, you will get a very rough estimation where they believe they stand (but remember Hofstaeder's Law). And then you know as much as the developers.

EDIT: And then there is the Forum's Law to take into account: Roland is a troll. :smile-new:

Personally I'm more interested in getting things done and in an organised fashion that increases the likelyhood of getting it right the first time (hah, who am I kidding?) and not getting bit in the ass by a design that completely clashes with other planned features.

The "when" is problematic.

You can have it fast, good, and cheap. Pick 2.

Whats the old saying?

"When you want it bad... you get it bad". :)

Personally I'm more interested in getting things done and in an organised fashion that increases the likelyhood of getting it right the first time (hah, who am I kidding?) and not getting bit in the ass by a design that completely clashes with other planned features.

I pick fast and good? :D:D

Sounds like a pick up line you may have used in the past.

I pick Good and Cheap! As long as the Cheap refers to computer resource usage :p

When my boss came in a few minutes ago to ask what the status of my work was I showed him a pink healthbar, which represents in my humble opinion the amount of work I still need to perform on this particular project.

He was not impressed. Something with 'pink healthbars not being professional'. Jeez.

When my boss came in a few minutes ago to ask what the status of my work was I showed him a pink healthbar, which represents in my humble opinion the amount of work I still need to perform on this particular project.

He was not impressed. Something with 'pink healthbars not being professional'. Jeez.

So the analogy here is that you see yourself ("us") as the boss that the pimps (Roland) report to? Jeez. :D

Cheers

You didn't tell him you were working on sodalite?

Enough HP bar talk, can we PLEASE get an official update on the new Stagg and Doe

Happily married with 2 small children. They live in rural Montana now on a small farm where they raise chickens and plant fields of fresh vegetables.

Archived