Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Isn't it ultimately just a simple balance of how much time does it take to Win (however the individual defines that) vs. how Hard (again, individual) was it to get there?

I think it's been pretty well proven that an un-winnable game isn't very popular. So any new zed or mechanic must have a counter; so you can Win.

Since this isn't an mmorpg then there are real limits imposed by the players computers. So no thousands of zs onscreen at once, etc. And no sneaky humans tunneling in to steal your stufs unless PvPing.

Late game could be/add the 'further out from zero the harder...' model, but still ultimately has to be winnable.

They could also add a targetted radiation mechanic for late game where a zed blows up (or enemy airstrike) and contaminates a large area, potentially forcing you to abandon your entire base. Would folks like that? No idea. But it would basically just add more grind really, though just the thought that you -might- have to bail would change up playstyle.

Guess what I'm getting at is that any non-mmorpg games 'playthrough' is finite. And the devs have to decide how long a playthrough "should" be, and how hard. Add in the very real need to keep their game accessible to new players, the ones keeping the lights on so to speak, and you have some very hard choices.

Personally I've really enjoyed the Ravenhearst mod. More than doubled my playthrough time. The added complexity is really appreciated, to me.

Brings me to something I've been wondering about lately; how different are we across even a couple/few decades?

Not bagging on the younger folks, they grew up with wildly different tech than I did and it of course impacts their expectations.

No cell phones = having to plan multiple days in advance in order to spend time at a friends house after school if they didn't live near by.

No calculators so learn to do math in your head. No comps so all homework done on paper.

Hell, we cast aluminum in junior high & used table saws. Learned to weld, rebuilt engines, etc.

Recently learned that they no longer teach First Aid, even in high school. That blows my mind.

Point is there does seem to be a generational thing about 'patience'? or willingness to put in X effort to achieve Y. Not weighing in on what's 'right' or 'better', just noticing that there seems to be a real difference.

So, for me, more complexity is great. More planning? Great! More options, yay! Change up the "grind" but actually make it longer, sweet :smile-new:

Yet how does that actually work for a company that needs to be profitable? Unfortunately TFPs are in the same boat as Education. They have to sell it to the masses. And Participation Trophys are all the rage...

I have Grim Dawn; gave it a good try but it failed to hook me. I've tried them all (arpgs) but none come close to the fluidity of combat that D3 has. D3's itemization sucks bad but their mechanics regarding the hack n' slash element is far above every other game in the same genre.

Grim Dawn also failed to hook me. I thought they gave out way too much junk loot. Some day I will give it another try.

Some repetitive effort is needed in most games. A slow upward spiral, overcoming ever greater challenges, leading to some climatic confrontation and sometimes a following type of epilogue. Maybe a sneak peek at a part 2.

How that is all done is pure, beautiful art!

Weapon Attachments

Oh by the gods

pls do tell me that we finally get some decent weapon attachments - i am thinking of something like a reddot scope - it always bugged me that we get smgs and semiautomatic rifles with silencers (or build in) or other stuff but we only get the basic versions everywhere - a military zombie has the same conbat setup as the russian army from the 60s - thou a red dot scope or some other combat scopes or a knife so that you get a melee button to thrust that into the zs face...maybe grenade launcher as a revamp to exploding crossbow bolts - i wonder what options we get and how moddable it will be - pls remember mod support

also somehow the sniper rifle zooming is quite irritating - maybe we can have zoom steps like 4x 8x 12 x 20 x or so

You may have missed the lines above that where Madmole told us that things added to the list were things finished or being currently worked on .

or being currently worked on.

one more time just for good measure

Guppy had a modded server set up with Baby Boomers. They were green, baby-sized, baby-looking mobs which came at you as a herd, and exploded when they got within a certain distance of you.

We'd be playing and someone would spot them incoming, and people would just scramble to get out of the way. Think "GRENADE!". They'd go off and leave craters in their wake...

I definitely had a love-hate relationship with them. They added a serious level of challenge, pucker, and fun to the game.

-A

Modders make this game live on....truth is truth.....

but there is something you just can't mod....thats that

- - - Updated - - -

Oh by the gods

pls do tell me that we finally get some decent weapon attachments - i am thinking of something like a reddot scope - it always bugged me that we get smgs and semiautomatic rifles with silencers (or build in) or other stuff but we only get the basic versions everywhere - a military zombie has the same conbat setup as the russian army from the 60s - thou a red dot scope or some other combat scopes or a knife so that you get a melee button to thrust that into the zs face...maybe grenade launcher as a revamp to exploding crossbow bolts - i wonder what options we get and how moddable it will be - pls remember mod support

also somehow the sniper rifle zooming is quite irritating - maybe we can have zoom steps like 4x 8x 12 x 20 x or so

you want Weapon attachments?.......I have a Folder of them

Lucky bastard....their vids are all fresh and new to you... I've watched all the 7DTD, ARK, Subnautica and GTA5 videos and now they can't put them out fast enough to feed my addiction.

You should check out their animation videos at hank and jed.

My biggest "want" in this game is.....Dedicated servers pushing Content instead of Handing out Mods that everybody claims they invented

Seperates the men from the boys :)

Mocaptions look good Fun pimps..well done

Have faith. Mod support w/o proper pushes isn't mod support at all, so I'm guessing they'll do us right. Or not. =)

Sounds good on paper, but all evidence points to late game being "ADD MOAR HP" and ....

What evidence? Since there pretty much is no late to end game content in at the moment what are you basing that on? I don't consider anything in 16.4 to be late game, for sure not end game.

Maybe I don't understand your post but, if I do and I think I do, then you need to stop adding the words "the only things" between "or" and "being".

Have faith. Mod support w/o proper pushes isn't mod support at all, so I'm guessing they'll do us right. Or not. =)

Proper Mod support would rock, look at the eco system for Rust or World of Warcraft they make the game great and let TFP see what they might want to add later in life.

I’ve told you everything you know but I haven’t told you everything I know...

Proper Mod support would rock, look at the eco system for Rust or World of Warcraft they make the game great and let TFP see what they might want to add later in life.

I am sure proper mod support isn’t going to be an issue. Afterall Madmole and Gazz started out as modders.

At the end of the IIII countdown, the enemy HP bar will be removed from A17 !!

At the current rate of count (37 weeks), we are looking at November 16th, 2018. I have much patience to see that enemy HP bar dropped from the hud.

Of course, Nov 16. target is more likely the release of A17 to 7D2D gold status. (Beta will be completed Sep-Oct). Got to get the next project started.

Woohoo, hurry up and wait!

oxymoron.jpg

First you post about making a sign but being so angry that you forgot to write what got you that way.

Now your figuratively punching yourself.

What's up man?

The sign one was for Jax... This one is for this forum, it constantly punches itself. :p

My biggest "want" in this game is.....Dedicated servers pushing Content instead of Handing out Mods that everybody claims they invented

Seperates the men from the boys :)

Mocaptions look good Fun pimps..well done

So server exclusive mods. That can KIND of be done now. you dont need to give anyone pois, nor do you need to give them any xmls except the Localization one. That will break or cripple most other mods right off the bat. If you are talking assemblies. Yes I agree those and dlls etc are easy to redistribute.

What evidence? Since there pretty much is no late to end game content in at the moment what are you basing that on? I don't consider anything in 16.4 to be late game, for sure not end game.

From the pieces of conversations about raid style POIs and zombie Bosses that have large amounts of HP. Its easy to find this info just by looking through dev posts.

- - - Updated - - -

The sign one was for Jax... This one is for this forum, it constantly punches itself. :p

Hey, I am INSULTED at the insinuation that i do not partake in a little self punchery at times myself. Take it back!

Archived