Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Is that actual? I've heard recently that changing the server (adding a plastic feather recipe) did in fact go out to clients w/o anything doen on their end. It really confused me hearing this as I thought the opposite would be the case.

I don't know if there's a change in a17 to make that possible, or if that's something that happens on some servers due to how the server is set up from an OS point of view. But I know that in my rented server that I've had since a14, if I change an xml file, I usually have to restart the server from the control panel on the server host's web site. Also, when I change xml files on my local game, I think I have had to shut the game down completely and go back into it before I see the change.

The quickest and easiest way to avoid a blood moon horde is to just go down to your tunnel system and dig. I get that a lot of people don't want the danger taken away, but you can literally live underground and only come up every once in a while to tend to your farm.

On a server, I blew open a huge hole in the ground so I could plant huge snow covered trees all around my dinner table in my underground lair in the middle of the desert. Before that, I placed a huge wall two blocks thick with three rows of spikes all around it, and it goes to bedrock. I can plant trees and food underground where my water reservoir keeps me eternally hydrated and nothing can ever get to me. Sit out horde night? Nah, we have pits we let them fall into surrounded by iron bars so we can shoot "fish in a barrel" style.

Moral of the story? If you want to skip the horde you can and will. The jeep will not fundamentally change that.

Easiest way to skip the bloodmoon:

For server play, log out.

For single-player game, F1 settime X 4 0

Change the X to the current day plus 1. So to skip the first horde night change X to 8.

But if you do these things you miss out on experiencing a key feature of the game and you also miss out on a boatload of XP. It's a risk for reward system. If you don't take the risk, you don't get the reward or experience the full game, and that is it's own punishment.

Not sure, but I'd guess it is mismatches between sizes/shapes of meshes vs colliders/controllers.

Oh, which dev does that so I can pester them? =)

...I'm also asking for selfish reasons, as my own entities, despite having colliders matching the meshes, also clip through blocks above 2 high...

...I'm also asking for selfish reasons, as my own entities, despite having colliders matching the meshes, also clip through blocks above 2 high...

Which might be part of the difficulties that caused behemoths to be postponed/killed?

You’re right - that’s overpowered and needs attention, too. :)

You know what else is overpowered? Zombies that see through walls.

I'm sure if GPS zombies were an option that you could turn off, many of the "underground dwellers" would be willing to live above ground and sit still and hide when horde passes.

I am still unclear about the whole unified MP thing they gonna change in A17. There it says that you can play MP solo, does that mean that i can no longer go ahead and generate my own world like i used to, and i'll have to pretty much join a server and find myself a plot of land somewhere and build, or it's just that i'm still gonna be able to generate my own save, but i'll be connected to the interned while i play solo? Call me stupid, i don't get it. If someone is nice enough to explain, i'd me a lot of help. Thanks :)

It would be like playing mp now, just when your by yourself you can now pause it like if it was single player, This is better for the reason that if you got a friend who joins you won't need to start a new map, they can just join you in the one you got going. Compared to current SP where you have to mess with a hex editor I think to turn a single player game into multiplayer.

Even that was fixed a while back; they've been the same thing for a while, they're just removing the SP "option" and including a pause feature on MP when only 1 person is present.

- - - Updated - - -

Line should read:

Added: Pause feature in multiplayer when only one player present. (Now you can finally pee!)

Removed: Redundant single player option as it is replaced by multiplayer host option. (Friends can join your game or you can play solo if you're Roland and no one likes you!)

they're just removing the SP "option".

And they're technically not even doing that because when you start a new game the very first option in front of you is to select number of players so by selecting "1 player" you are essentially choosing the SP option. Hopefully all the concerns and worries will subside on this issue now that the first post is friendlier.

Removed: Redundant single player option as it is replaced by multiplayer host option. (Friends can join your game or you can play solo if you're Roland and no one likes you!)

I don't trust it anymore. There would still be those who read that and would assume that TFP is going to break their promise of having a true single player mode and that everything will be balanced for multiplayer and instead of being true single player it will be one player trying to play what is designed to be a multiplayer experience and then we will get more worry wart posts.

So just to be clear. You're not including the gyro in the list because he doesn't explicitly say it's coming, even though the title of the video does, but you're cool with distant trees, which were not mentioned? =)

- - - Updated - - -

People (looking at you da vag!) are going to assume the worst regardless. =)

At least have fun with it.

Easiest way to skip the bloodmoon:

For server play, log out.

For single-player game, F1 settime X 4 0

Change the X to the current day plus 1. So to skip the first horde night change X to 8.

But if you do these things you miss out on experiencing a key feature of the game and you also miss out on a boatload of XP. It's a risk for reward system. If you don't take the risk, you don't get the reward or experience the full game, and that is it's own punishment.

I'd argue that you don't get punished. You would get punished if your gamestage didn't revolve around your experience/level. If the days alive was the primary driver of gamestage -- and how hard things get --- losing out of the experience would make you fall behind. I'd LIKE that approach.

However right now, when you miss exp your game stage stagnates. So basically it allows your level at your own pace and not fall behind.

So just to be clear. You're not including the gyro in the list because he doesn't explicitly say it's coming, even though the title of the video does, but you're cool with distant trees, which were not mentioned? =)

- - - Updated - - -

Joel explicitly said in last video right at the beginning that the gyro MAY NOT make it into alpha 17...

so its not Roland manipulating the words... the big man said so himself. :)

No one specifically. They get set by content creators and tweaked by whoever sees an issue.

I don't know about your own stuff, but our entities do not have mesh colliders as they are slow. There are capsules around bones for ragdoll. Animals have extra large horizontal capsules for general body shape. Zombies and animals have a controller that is a vertical capsule. The large capsules and controller capsule are what normally determines collisions with world and they only approximate the mesh shape and can be worse when the mesh changes due to animation.

- - - Updated - - -

Well...I happen to know some of what is definitely making it into A17 and I already knew distant trees were coming and so since both faatal and Madmole showed them indirectly by showing the gyrocopter I felt confident including them in the list.

In the case of the gyrocopter itself, much like Everdeen, if I put it in the list and then it doesn't make it in then that creates a sticky situation with "Dev's lied my heart died" type of people. Madmole said to all of us in the video that the copter is still a maybe for A17 just like he told me privately that Everdeen is still a maybe for A17 so until it is definite I'm leaving it off the list.

#Stickyishardlyevergood

...I think for PVP it will be a risky bussiness to fly as any player with a (sniper) rifle could probably remove you quite easily from the skies.

Or for some real fun, build a grabhook or harness, add to gyro and then pluck-n-drop those bears :laugh:

"All your pvp base are belong to us." - Zombie Bears

I just told you: A potentially sticky situation.

Codename for an awesome addition to the game that I can't reveal because it is still in flux and may not make it in but the Trolland side of my nature can't help but try and use as a fuel additive for the hype train.

Archived