Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Faatal...if the gyro is to be added in game...whenever....shouldnt some type of airport POI be put into game to find parts or a full one? Would be nice . Are your POI guys working on one. I made 2 types that are pretty basic ...a rural and suburban one...that are in the prefab section...

I would like to see their ideas in regards to one. I think it would be a great addition for the game with a small runway.

Regards

Ouch

I know this is a necro in a way but did you ever get a chance to play with them? Knowing full well they were probably not final if you did get to play was it at least a "bucket List" type moment getting to see it in game? I would imagine it was pretty cool and wondered if you got to play around with it.

I have played with zip lines in a survival game called The Forest, also alpha like 7D2D. The thrill of the player actually riding a zip lines last all of about 1 time.

The Forest does implement a neat way to use the zip lines for base building. The Forest limits how many logs you can carry, only 2 at a time. The Forest allows you to hook up a log to the zip line instead of the player. This allows delivery of logs from higher elevation to a lower elevation over longer distance and is more efficient then the player running back and forth.

While zip lines are very well done in the The Forest, I found the use case to be very limited outside of the ability to deliver logs. The whole "escaping my base" on a zip line or regular use of zip lines to traverse distance ideas just don't play out very well in game play. What goes up, must come down, etc.

Because of this real hands on experience with zip lines in another game, the zip lines development in 7D2D doesn't seem worth the effort because 7D2D does not have the same "log carry" characteristics as The Forest.

In 7D2D, with the minibike being the better way to travel versus a zip line , with the way you can carry so much in backpack, the development effort in 7D2D with zip lines doesn't seem worth the effort for a basically novelty feature.

With all the new vehicles I was wondering what considerations have been given to world size and the issues involved as one traverses further from 0,0?

Examples:

Will world size be increasing?

Will the shakes, separation, and shadow issues (basically distance from 0,0 issues) be fixed?

How do the distance from 0,0 issues impact vehicle usage?

I am surprised that they don't use something like bike parts to get that propeller to spin up IRL. I mean it would be more efficient to peddle that up to speed, as well as safer.

Then it would have a drive train of some type and wouldn't be completely free spinning. I'm sure it would be doable but not just by throwing on some pedals and a chain.

Then it would have a drive train of some type and wouldn't be completely free spinning. I'm sure it would be doable but not just by throwing on some pedals and a chain.

So what happens on a bike when you stop pedaling then? Pretty sure that's free spinning at that point ;)

I think sills is just saying to get it initially moving so it's not such a death trap operation.

Some thoughts on 'old' news.

"A17 Changes and Fixes List: Updated as we learn them from the developers!

Maple Forest given an autumn colors palette

Every biome remastered for Unity 2017"

Am i only one who liked green maple forest? I just.. that overwhelming spring feeling! No biome looked so alive. It is apocalypse, but in Maple forest you could forget about ever crawling 7-th day menace. It just like a vacation from apocalypse. I know i am exaggerating.

How do you feel about this change?

Some thoughts on 'old' news.

"A17 Changes and Fixes List: Updated as we learn them from the developers!

Maple Forest given an autumn colors palette

Every biome remastered for Unity 2017"

Am i only one who liked green maple forest? I just.. that overwhelming spring feeling! No biome looked so alive. It is apocalypse, but in Maple forest you could forget about ever crawling 7-th day menace. It just like a vacation from apocalypse. I know i am exaggerating.

How do you feel about this change?

hopefully (and I don't see why not), They leave in the other trees as well (even if they disable them).

So what happens on a bike when you stop pedaling then? Pretty sure that's free spinning at that point ;)

I think sills is just saying to get it initially moving so it's not such a death trap operation.

Well, if it is doable I'm sure someone has already. The fact that all of them I see aren't like that leads me to believe that the engineers that designed them probably have a reason. Could be as simple as it does actually become a death trap if you artificially get the blade spinning faster than the current forward momentum would.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the death trap part has nothing to do with getting the blade spinning fast enough for take off. You fail that and you just stay on the ground. I'd say the death trap part comes when you stall the thing out by doing something stupid that kills your forward momentum when you are 100ft up in the air.

Well, if it is doable I'm sure someone has already. The fact that all of them I see aren't like that leads me to believe that the engineers that designed them probably have a reason. Could be as simple as it does actually become a death trap if you artificially get the blade spinning faster than the current forward momentum would.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the death trap part has nothing to do with getting the blade spinning fast enough for take off. You fail that and you just stay on the ground. I'd say the death trap part comes when you stall the thing out by doing something stupid that kills your forward momentum when you are 100ft up in the air.

I say it's a death trap because I've seen vids of ppl starting the top blade rotating and slipping, almost falling into the propulsion prop. I also didn't say anything about that 'if' attaching some sort of bike pedal deal to get the top blade spinning would or wouldn't work. lol

I addressed your initial remark about if it would be free spinning..

- - - Updated - - -

Modding back in one extra Biom? It could be nice addition. Even if it just different color palette. Some aesthetic bonus. :)

yes!

I say it's a death trap because I've seen vids of ppl starting the top blade rotating and slipping, almost falling into the propulsion prop. I also didn't say anything about that 'if' attaching some sort of bike pedal deal to get the top blade spinning would or wouldn't work. lol

I addressed your initial remark about if it would be free spinning..

And I still say a rotor with pedals attached capable of turning the rotor faster than the current forward momentum is NOT free spinning. Will it spin without you pedaling? Yes. But what happens when you start pedaling 100 ft in the air and force the rotor to turn faster than than the current "wind speed" would cause naturally? One thing is you just applied torque to your whole aircraft that has nothing to counteract it. No need for the vertical rotor is kind of the whole point of the top rotor being unpowered.

And I still say a rotor with pedals attached capable of turning the rotor faster than the current forward momentum is NOT free spinning. Will it spin without you pedaling? Yes. But what happens when you start pedaling 100 ft in the air and force the rotor to turn faster than than the current "wind speed" would cause naturally? One thing is you just applied torque to your whole aircraft that has nothing to counteract it. No need for the vertical rotor is kind of the whole point of the top rotor being unpowered.

Oh good lord! :apathy:

@fataal

It would be nice if the vehicle xml's have settings like "isFlyer, isSwimmer, isDiver" or something along those lines, that way when we add custom vehicles ourselves we don't have to use wizardry to get them to work.

If y'all haven't already set modders up for success already.

Oh good lord! :apathy:

I'm sure you all are correct. Engineers have only been working on these since 1923 but in 10 minutes today you and Sillls have revolutionized the whole thing. No one had ever thought of putting in a way to power the top rotor before. You all can patent your new invention and become rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Hell, I suggest forgoing the pedals entirely. Just make the engine drive the rotor. I mean that would be even easier. May want to look into a vertical rotor somewhere to counteract the torque, though. Anyway, I'm sure you all will figure it out.

I'm sure you all are correct. Engineers have only been working on these since 1923 but in 10 minutes today you and Sillls have revolutionized the whole thing. No one had ever thought of putting in a way to power the top rotor before. You all can patent your new invention and become rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Hell, I suggest forgoing the pedals entirely. Just make the engine drive the rotor. I mean that would be even easier. May want to look into a vertical rotor somewhere to counteract the torque, though. Anyway, I'm sure you all will figure it out.

Learn to READ instead of reading what you want it to say. No one said anything, even remotely, about Engineers being wrong NO WHERE. You are making crap up now!.

..And srry! If you pedal a bike and stop pedaling while you are on it! The tires are freely turning or freely spinning no matter how you try and refute it!

I'm going to stop now. Have fun with your response with some other make believe argument..

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at speedtrees, you change the leaves via choosing a different leaf mesh or changing the lead color, so it's not a separate model per say, I'm afraid.

Dang it :( well I hope they have a way to set the color or whatnot.

Direction

There is a mouse bug with the Valmod forge that needs fixing....

If that is the case, then please lookup the thread for valmod. This Is an A17 Thread. Specific Mods are attachments to the game built by like minded devs. Valmar will help you with that am sure.

thanks

Ari

Looking at speedtrees, you change the leaves via choosing a different leaf mesh or changing the lead color, so it's not a separate model per say, I'm afraid.

Speaking of Meshes and color, I miss the oldschool RED/WHITE 4 square tile. Irrelevant here Probably!! But I HOPE there is more added to paint too ShoNuff Lol

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see a swamp biome. And an Airboat so I can role play a Gentle Ben episode!

hqdefault.jpg

Agree, Even a Simple Raft would be awesome. But Hey. Ive seen these Pimps pull some unexpected ♥♥♥♥ right out the bag. Hold Tight and Pray xD

Hey Roland,

Another question for ya or two.

1. How comprehensive do you think the current list of updates is as per the first few posts of this thread? Would you or MM say it's about 50%/75% or something else as to what A17 is shaping into?

2. It seems like the core of A17 is code and feature framework polishing as well as vehicles and physics. Would you guys add anything else to what represents the core of what A17 is aiming for?

I would say the core of A17 is turning a bunch of features TFP has been experimenting with into shippable final forms. Quests, vehicles, skills and perks, buffs, and more (Everdeen!) are all things they ventured into and now we will see what the final version of the game will ship with.

I know this is a necro in a way but did you ever get a chance to play with them? Knowing full well they were probably not final if you did get to play was it at least a "bucket List" type moment getting to see it in game? I would imagine it was pretty cool and wondered if you got to play around with it.

They were never implemented into any version of the game. The things Joel showed were in his editor. So, no, other than running down hills while looking up at the treetops to try and simulate it I didn’t get to try it out.

Hey Roland.

Have a question about a17.

Will it be possible to purchase or craft control room blocks?

Do u have any information about a 17 MM video?

I don’t know what you mean with your first question and all I got from Joel about the second was “soon.”

So soon.

Archived