Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Does it have to be? The relevant POIs can be spawned to random gen aswell...

Madmole?

Random gen really means random. To make a story work in a random world you need a lot more effort: Make sure all story relevant POI's exist. Make sure positions are correct: A POI declared as Duke headquarter can't be in the middle of the other factions area, the headquarters can't be just 20 meters apart, a Duke spy post has to be where it can spy at something worthwile, a hideout must be hidden instead of directly beside the trader...

I don't know what story they are planning. But it is obvious that a coherent story is much easier told if you have a fixed map where you can plant documents, quests and NPC at locations that make sense.

Personally, I hope they don’t even implement the story until after gold release. I’ve followed other indev games with stories that get added to bit by bit and it sucks. When I’m ready to play the story I’ll want to do it start to finish without story branches that dead end or put me in an endless loop or create unsolvable paradoxes or stop midway and then require a restart of the entire story.

I’m too curious to leave it alone if they start doing it bit by bit beforehand.

Personally, I hope they don’t even implement the story until after gold release. I’ve followed other indev games with stories that get added to bit by bit and it sucks. When I’m ready to play the story I’ll want to do it start to finish without story branches that dead end or put me in an endless loop or create unsolvable paradoxes or stop midway and then require a restart of the entire story.

I’m too curious to leave it alone if they start doing it but by bit beforehand.

Agreed, should be introduced when it is essentially complete, test the mechanics in other non main story arc ways then throw it all in at once.

I’m too curious to leave it alone if they start doing it bit by bit beforehand.

Also +1 on this. I'd rather like to think the devs are working on the foundation of the game 100% right now, rather than worrying about the story. A good story can't be written until the world is made complete with great detail. The more detail the better the story IMO.

The fact that there are a few xml only mods for bandits ruins your argument devolver. Like, rapes and pillages it. With a nuclear powered spoon.

You know some reactions come just at the right time, some others come late. Reactions have points that can be hit or miss. Your reaction not only came late, but it was a complete miss.

It's a miss because while I'm pretty sure you picked the bandits as an example just because it's probably one of the easiest alternatives of NPCs to implement at the moment since the player doesn't need to interact with them like they might want to do with friendly survivor NPCs and therefore it's enough to just enable them through xml, their current code is still pretty basic and would have been much better if they had some extra code to make them smarter which as far as I know is impossible to do in xml alone, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

But your reaction is a miss also because bandits aren't the only NPCs that should be running in the world. What would I mostly love to see are friendly NPC survivors you could interact with and who would actually be doing something more than just standing in one place all day. Again, this requires much more advanced code than is currently available in the base game and standard xml just won't cut it, unless you're fine with the very basic version of their AI.

If you want more, you do need that extra code like the one provided in Starvation mod that improves the AI little bit, although like I said previously while Starvation is already a very impressive mod, it still lacks some features I personally would love to see. Funny as it may be, it seems like Starvation will have to be enough for me.

By the way, that nuclear powered weapon you talked about suddenly ran out of fuel and fell back where it was launched from.

- - - Updated - - -

For the TL;DR crowd, this is the summary of posts back to page 668.

arguements-27vc513.jpg

I like those guys who always bring up TL;DR version of something they didn't read, thank you.

Well, I don't think that I need to prove anything to you, I don't even know you and I don't exactly feel like wasting my time here with you when it's more than clear that what you're looking for is the opportunity to start a fight...

Says the guy whose post I quoted started with the phrase "You sure know it all." to someone that was just trying to explain the difference between modding and actual game development.

"Super Moderator Bringer of Joy"

Sounds like a new title for you :star:

I would rather call Roland: "Secret Santa of A17... and beyond!"

Aldranon: "Whats this?? 7 days to die is updating to A17 now!! OH! God bless you Secret Santa of A17 and beyond! God bless you very much!"

No one would know I'm playing A17 RIGHT NOW! Nope. Might even ask is it ready yet, to throw you all off. Yep.

Oops! Sooo, is A17 ready yet? Yeah...

Can you also drive it along the ground? Taxiing?

Coughs * VIDEO * Coughs

That is a cool concept. The law of physics indicates that particular copter would spin out of control soon as taking off and would never reach that altitude. Guess we could suspend basic laws of physics.

http://howthingsfly.si.edu/ask-an-explainer/why-do-helicopters-need-tail-rotor-and-what-torque

That is a cool concept. The law of physics indicates that particular copter would spin out of control soon as taking off and would never reach that altitude. Guess we could suspend basic laws of physics.

http://howthingsfly.si.edu/ask-an-explainer/why-do-helicopters-need-tail-rotor-and-what-torque

The zombies are all about suspending the basic laws of physics ;) they voted overwhelmingly for its inclusion because they are very partial to tenderised meat.

But your OK with dead people walking right?

Well dang it Doombringer you are just fast on the keyboard! :)

It is actually a gyrocopter. They fly more like an airplane. The top rotor is not powered. It spins by forward motion, which the pusher prop provides.

Archived