Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I would much rather Madmole work on actual game content then take time out to show us a video of partially finished systems...just to hear people whine and cry "That bear looks deformed!" "Geez that bear looks dumb!" "lolz that huge car gets stopped by trash!" "Hey those engine noises are pretty terrible..."

Its annoying and I am sure its one of the reasons he doesn't WANT to show us more videos of partially completed things ;)

My point by saying that was that you were afraid that other players would come in and kill the NPCs that were placed to progress the main story line. I was telling you that you could protect yourself from that by setting the game to 1 player. Again, I think you're imagination got away from you a bit. The sophistication you are hoping for in being able to create a relationship with bots in the game that won't let you feel lonely and will keep you company seems a stretch to me. But, maybe you form attachments easily? I know that being able to turn a wolf into a pet is planned but NPC followers has always been in the realm of "maybe, if we can".

This is wrong because single player vs multiplayer was never the dividing line for the story mode. It has always been Navezgane vs Randomgen. You want to play the story? You select one player and choose Navezgane. You want to play the story with friends? You select 2+ players and choose Navezgane. That is always the way it was planned and there is no change to that plan. Whatever reductions single player might suffer due to multiplayer considerations they are the same as they ever have been.

Obviously there's no convincing you of this. You won't be satisfied until the final product comes out and you either feel happy or disappointed with what we get. Based on your expectations I'm predicting disappointed....

That sums it up well. No one is saying there won't be story elements in random gen, but random gen is more open while Navezgane can be more tailored to allow a story to be told.

Also don't forget with a little tweak NPC's can use land claim blocks too protecting bases and npcs from being easily killed too

We are eye to eye on that my friend :)

In fact, with world editing tools and with the conversation trees being accessible, there well may be lots of storylines that will emerge in lots of different maps some of which might not suck....

Starvation has conversation trees. It lacks companion / follower system though. It does have pets, but they aren't that useful in fight because they don't attack automatically without need to constantly switch between weapons and whistle to give them signals while trying to avoid hordes, it's a nice to have feature, but it should be much easier to control otherwise it's useless. Also I see no point in taking a survivor with you if they never fight zombies and can't use the weapons you give into their inventory. I hope they can turn that feature into a full follower mod, but hey it is something that isn't in the base game at all, so Starvation is already literally thousand miles ahead of the base game. Just still not far enough either. But should I guess, I would bet that Starvation team would be the first to make these features happen in this game which is kinda sad when you think they could have been a part of a base game...

Starvation has conversation trees. It lacks companion / follower system though. It does have pets, but they aren't that useful in fight because they don't attack automatically without need to constantly switch between weapons and whistle to give them signals while trying to avoid hordes, it's a nice to have feature, but it should be much easier to control otherwise it's useless. Also I see no point in taking a survivor with you if they never fight zombies and can't use the weapons you give into their inventory. I hope they can turn that feature into a full follower mod, but hey it is something that isn't in the base game at all, so Starvation is already literally thousand miles ahead of the base game. Just still not far enough either. But should I guess, I would bet that Starvation team would be the first to make these features happen in this game which is kinda sad when you think they could have been a part of a base game...

All that stuff your talking about is leveraging the AI work TFP have done behind the scenes that you just don't see. The limitations in the mod is because TFP haven't finished the AI. So they didn't exactly code or create many of those things you are claiming are ahead of the game.

I can modify 5 lines of XML right now and add npcs and bandits that will fight each other because all the logic was done by TFP.

The way this is done brings me so much joy. It's not soon or later or Q1 it's "Not in February".

At the very least, it's not SOON™.

- - - Updated - - -

All that stuff your talking about is leveraging the AI work TFP have done behind the scenes that you just don't see. The limitations in the mod is because TFP haven't finished the AI. So they didn't exactly code or create many of those things you are claiming are ahead of the game.

I can modify 5 lines of XML right now and add npcs and bandits that will fight each other because all the logic was done by TFP.

Except Starvation is not an XML mod, it uses its own extra code.

At the very least, it's not SOON™.

- - - Updated - - -

Except Starvation is not an XML mod, it uses its own extra code.

It uses SOME extra code, most of the work is via XML with some scripts to extend stuff TFP did and while imoressive the result is very rough as you noticed. 99.9% of code is stock.

It uses SOME extra code, most of the work is via XML with some scripts to extend stuff TFP did and while imoressive the result is very rough as you noticed. 99.9% of code is stock.

Well, you aren't the developer of the mod so pulling any numbers is just your own uninformed guess, nothing less, nothing more.

Well, you aren't the developer of the mod so pulling any numbers is just your own uninformed guess, nothing less, nothing more.

It's far more of an educated guess since I can see file sizes then your statement of

so Starvation is already literally thousand miles ahead of the base game. [/Quote]

I would much rather Madmole work on actual game content then take time out to show us a video of partially finished systems...just to hear people whine and cry "That bear looks deformed!" "Geez that bear looks dumb!" "lolz that huge car gets stopped by trash!" "Hey those engine noises are pretty terrible..."

Its annoying and I am sure its one of the reasons he doesn't WANT to show us more videos of partially completed things ;)

Not true. He always rushes to record stuff as soon as he has anything new to show even if it's a new unfinished paint texture to enhance the look of the walls in your post apocalyptic half-broken house. Granted, you can patiently wait for it for couple of weeks.

Only one name can the new ATV be called, and that's, "Canyonero"

LOL! You silly bell pepper.

The water will drain from a basin and fill a lower basin. It spreads as a thin layer that if banked will then start to fill and deepen. It is like Terraria water but in 3d. Pretty amazing what they've done.

The water looks fine to me, and it probably saves on performance. This game looks like it has a little bit of everything :star: thx

Not a single frame. Deal is pimps work a lot, and we play a lot. Then there are treats for us, but it takes some time.

do-anything-for-treats.gif

Hat down to you if you can calculate in your head how many more lines of code were added by the mod itself just by looking at the binary data files.

Don't need to know the exact lines, just need rough approximation. If the base game has 100 mb of binary code and someone releases a mod that contains 1mb of code changes then you know they haven't touched roughly 99% of it. Just like Day Z changed somewhere around 1% of arma's base code and re-used 99% of it.

Ask any programmer and they will tell you its far easier to modify someone elses program then it is to develop a program from scratch.

- - - Updated - - -

Not true. He always rushes to record stuff as soon as he has anything new to show even if it's a new unfinished paint texture to enhance the look of the walls in your post apocalyptic half-broken house. Granted, you can patiently wait for it for couple of weeks.

That's because MM isn't one of the programmers nor has he ever said he was. He leads the development team and is more of a graphics and design person. He isn't doing a lot of the coding as people think of it.

Don't need to know the exact lines, just need rough approximation. If the base game has 100 mb of binary code and someone releases a mod that contains 1mb of code changes then you know they haven't touched roughly 99% of it. Just like Day Z changed somewhere around 1% of arma's base code and re-used 99% of it.

Ask any programmer and they will tell you its far easier to modify someone elses program then it is to develop a program from scratch.

You sure know it all. Maybe you will be the one who will finish the ziplines among the other things one day.

You sure know it all. Maybe you will be the one who will finish the ziplines among the other things one day.

I actually READ. Like their post on starvation where they discuss stuff like this, mention that they use xml, etc. I've also followed their work and Pacco's work (RIP Pacco) since the early days of 7dtd and have watched them work on the project. They've done an impressive job, even more so when you consider that there are no official modding tools for the game released yet.

Thanks Roland, that is so cool!

If minecraft water scores 5 out of 10, that is a 8 or 9 to me!

I wonder how efficient it is for the game to compute such an advanced behavior. For instance 7DTD lags when you collapse big structures. Does PK lag when you have many basins interacting with each other trough multiple streams? Does it work MP?

It is cool. Portal Knights can do it because in their game the world was blown to bits so each biome is a chunk floating in space so the processing demands are much lower than the amount of the world 7 Days to Die has to worry about. I doubt what Portal Knights has done could work on a larger scale than what they've contrived. I think it is actually pretty elegant design to make the backstory of your game actually help with performance.

Really? No video neither this weekend?

Who said that? There might be. Nothing has been announced.

The way this is done brings me so much joy. It's not soon or later or Q1 it's "Not in February".

I like to think of myself as "The Bringer of Joy". If people started calling me that I would not correct them.

This conversation has really devolved...

Maybe it really rolanded....or trollanded...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Let me catch my breath. You are the one that claimed "starvation is literally thousand miles ahead" with, what seems like, ZERO idea of how development and modding both work. Have you written a single line of code in your life? Have you modded a single program in your life? Because I hate to break it to you, but Brian9824 is entirely correct. So about the things in this discussion he did indeed seem to "know it all."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Let me catch my breath. You are the one that claimed "starvation is literally thousand miles ahead" with, what seems like, ZERO idea of how development and modding both work. Have you written a single line of code in your life? Have you modded a single program in your life? Because I hate to break it to you, but Brian9824 is entirely correct. So about the things in this discussion he did indeed seem to "know it all."

Well, I don't think that I need to prove anything to you, I don't even know you and I don't exactly feel like wasting my time here with you when it's more than clear that what you're looking for is the opportunity to start a fight rather than have a peaceful conversation, but I will tell you something. My own experience with creating mods for games may be outdated, but as a matter of fact, I worked on couple of coding projects myself in the past (those weren't game related to be fair). Now you can continue laughing, it's healthy and something is telling me that there probably aren't many reasons for you to laugh lately, so go ahead and use this nice little opportunity to have a good laugh once more. Have a good day or night.

Navezgane is pretty obviously going to be whatever story mode there will be in the game, so how many players are selected when you start the game in either mode is irrelevant. You're making a mountain out of a molehill based on your self constructed, paranoid narrative.

Archived