Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Hey Roland will they be working on water physics for A17?

Are We There Yet?

no and no.

Biggest mistake I ever made was giving Minecraft a try for the first time ever a week ago. I have seen what water CAN be as well as things like flowing lava during mining.

I never cared about water before and it never bothered me until now. It is now at the top of my want list. I would LOVE to see some type of flowing water. Could make for some fun builds and some cool danger in those flooded caves.

The last proposal I saw for water was looking into returning it to a more Minecraftian version. It was felt that if they simplified it to how Minecraft does it then we could have underwater decorations, possibly animals, possibly POIs, and simple rules of physics for currents and flowing and placing. The water used to be quite similar to Minecraft but then they played around with it probably hoping to change it to differentiate themselves from Minecraft but it hasn't worked out as they wanted it to.

Frankly, I would be ecstatic if they could get it to work like Portal Knights water but if not that then Minecraft water would be just fine especially if they can then add some underwater exploration and threats.

(Is it okay to want underwater threats or are a lot of people chilling in the water hoping it never changes...? I don't want to tell people how to play their game or anything.)

NOTE: This is not confirmation that they WILL do water like Minecraft. It is only that someone proposed it awhile back and they haven't revisited the issue since then so I don't know what their final decision will be. I think it is definitely a better choice than what we have now for sure. Minecraft water works pretty well, imo and obviously supports having an underwater biome and also boats/rafts.

"Jeep" is a trademarked name. "jeep" is not.

"Prior to 1940 the term "jeep" had been used as U.S. Army slang for new recruits or vehicles"

"In lowercase the term "jeep" continues to be used as a generic term for vehicles inspired by the Jeep that are suitable for use on rough terrain."

"Words of the Fighting Forces by Clinton A. Sanders, a dictionary of military slang, published in 1942, in the library at The Pentagon gives this definition:Jeep: A four-wheel drive vehicle of one-half- to one-and-one-half-ton capacity for reconnaissance or other army duty. A term applied to the bantam-cars, and occasionally to other motor vehicles (U.S.A.) in the Air Corps, the Link Trainer; in the armored forces, the ½-ton command vehicle. Also referred to as "any small plane, helicopter, or gadget." "

Only one name can the new ATV be called, and that's, "Canyonero"

Might I suggest "Kilroy" for the new vehicle name? As in the old GI joke "Kilroy was here" with the little bald man peering over a wall. And as for the copyright thing... Yes, car makers are very litigious and protective. One of the reasons Need For Speed 2015 had such a narrow selection of cars and such little customization was because they didn't have the licenses for those products. Plenty of racing games spend hundreds of thousands of dollars procuring licenses for names, designs, and the ability to affect the brand through the car's depiction in game. Compared to North American, European, and Japanese manufactures the only reason you see LADAs and UAZs in Unreal Engine games is because the Russian companies can't be bothered to chase copyright for nameplates thirty or more years old. I'm just very scared because I've been seeing a lot of indie games use vehicle names and likenesses and it's only a matter of time before one of the high profile games gets hit with a lawsuit.

SP mode removed for one unified MP mode. You can play MP solo. 2/5/18

So I played this game for 1771 hours hoping that one day it will offer a good singleplayer game experience like Skyrim or Fallout with destructible world filled with zombies and a rich story with long hours of quests, NPCs I could interact with and even get companions or followers like in games from Bethesda and this specific line in the quote is there to let me know that I waited this long for something that will never be a part of the game? Am I getting this correctly?

So I played this game for 1771 hours hoping that one day it will offer a good singleplayer game experience like Skyrim or Fallout with destructible world filled with zombies and a rich story with long hours of quests, NPCs I could interact with and even get companions or followers like in games from Bethesda and this specific line in the quote is there to let me know that I waited this long for something that will never be a part of the game? Am I getting this correctly?

Yes. Now go pound sand.

Kidding. Nothing in that statement means what you are worrying about. The game has always been MP with an option to create a "Single Player Game" configured server on your computer. Nothing is changing from our point of view. If you change the number of players in the options to 1 then it will be the same as it ever was.

No bad news with this one. :)

(Hope you're not on mobile...)

Yes. Now go pound sand.

Kidding. Nothing in that statement means what you are worrying about. The game has always been MP with an option to create a "Single Player Game" configured server on your computer. Nothing is changing from our point of view. If you change the number of players in the options to 1 then it will be the same as it ever was.

200_s.gif

Yes. Now go pound sand.

No bad news with this one. :)

(Hope you're not on mobile...)

Ok, but that answers my concern only partially!

My concern is that I can't really imagine how could the current multiplayer system work with a full story with quests, NPCs, followers and all the things that I mentioned in my previous post. I'm not in the mind of the developers and maybe they do know how to make it all happen so that both sp and mp can actually become one without any kind of issue.

It was just that this game is certainly not Dead Island where co-op worked because there was a story tailored for it. 7 Days To Die is a whole different game with some extra features like world destruction that could possibly make the same kind of story gameplay impossible!

For example, in Dead Island you couldn't shoot NPCs that were important for the game story, neither you could destroy the world like you can do in 7 Days To Die which would ultimately lead to some funny consequences for the story and possible multiplayer griefing that would ruin the game for those who would prefer to follow the story before some troll destroys their world making it impossible to finish the quest!

Therefore, unless the developers can magically make sure that these problems would never really happen, multiplayer aspect of the game will necessarily either hurt or limit the singleplayer experience to a great extent. That's why I was asking that question - are the things like singleplayer oriented story, quests, followers and all that not going to be a part of the final version of this game after all?

Ok, but that answers my concern only partially!

My concern is that I can't really imagine how could the current multiplayer system work with a full story with quests, NPCs, followers and all the things that I mentioned in my previous post. I'm not in the mind of the developers and maybe they do know how to make it all happen so that both sp and mp can actually become one without any kind of issue.

It was just that this game is certainly not Dead Island where co-op worked because there was a story tailored for it. 7 Days To Die is a whole different game with some extra features like world destruction that could possibly make the same kind of story gameplay impossible!

For example, in Dead Island you couldn't shoot NPCs that were important for the game story, neither you could destroy the world like you can do in 7 Days To Die which would ultimately lead to some funny consequences for the story and possible multiplayer griefing that would ruin the game for those who would prefer to follow the story before some troll destroys their world making it impossible to finish the quest!

Therefore, unless the developers can magically make sure that these problems would never really happen, multiplayer aspect of the game will necessarily either hurt or limit the singleplayer experience to a great extent. That's why I was asking that question - are the things like singleplayer oriented story, quests, followers and all that not going to be a part of the final version of this game after all?

As I said, nothing has changed from before in terms of gameplay. The only change is how you setup a solo game. Instead of choosing “Single Player” you choose “1”.

How will anyone grief your story progress if you choose “1”?

I also think you’ve over inflated the story element of the game in your mind. When the game was originally brought to steam the story mode was billed as “find out what happened by discovering notes”.

Now it appears that the quest system will evolve past that but if you’ve been waiting all this time for a game designed around an epic tale you might be in for some disappointment. Think more of a collection of quests which will give some backstory to the world and maybe reveal your place in it and eventually lead you to the Duke of Navezgane. In addition tons of random side quests.

This game has always been about creating your own stories. If the main story is more than what I’ve described I will be happily surprised. If so, it will definitely surpass anything that has been promised by the developers.

In any case, you’ll still be able to experience it all solo as you would’ve under the old system and TFP is still not showing any signs of putting MP before SP or favoring MP at the cost of SP much to the continuing consternation of PvPers everywhere.

that can´t be true... look at madmole... just pump some weights while playing!

Also found this music video on utube that proves that Zombies are a good workout right at the start:

eats your fat away...

lol. Love it man!

- - - Updated - - -

I am a firm believer in the premise of KISS(KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID), especially in a post apocalyptic world. So just name the "jeep"....

M.O.L.E.

-multiple occupant land explorer

Solves the problem of copyright and gives credit to our zombie leader.

MTFGA

OUCH

MOLE! Well that makes me soo M.A.D! ;)

As I said, nothing has changed from before in terms of gameplay. The only change is how you setup a solo game. Instead of choosing “Single Player” you choose “1”.

How will anyone grief your story progress if you choose “1”?

I also think you’ve over inflated the story element of the game in your mind. When the game was originally brought to steam the story mode was billed as “find out what happened by discovering notes”.

Now it appears that the quest system will evolve past that but if you’ve been waiting all this time for a game designed around an epic tale you might be in for some disappointment. Think more of a collection of quests which will give some backstory to the world and maybe reveal your place in it and eventually lead you to the Duke of Navezgane. In addition tons of random side quests.

This game has always been about creating your own stories. If the main story is more than what I’ve described I will be happily surprised. If so, it will definitely surpass anything that has been promised by the developers.

In any case, you’ll still be able to experience it all solo as you would’ve under the old system and TFP is still not showing any signs of putting MP before SP or favoring MP at the cost of SP much to the continuing consternation of PvPers everywhere.

It's not something I made up in my mind. It's something madmole hinted at several times during the development. Maybe it is just my imagination of what it could be or simply misunderstanding of what he said, but it definitely sounded like something more than just anything you could achieve with sp and mp mixed together in a game with such features like 7 Days To Die.

Again this is not Dead Island where you could roleplay with your friends and still play the main story of the game. This would be impossible in 7 Days to die for what it is now and I'm getting worried that this move to mix mp and sp is just an easy way for devs to say goodbye to any of the fancy plans for sp and story they possibly ever had in the past.

In the end, if there was nothing more to the sp part than just a basic story and NPCs that could help you on your journey like companions / followers in Skyrim and Fallout, that would still have been much better than fueling players hope for years with the separate singleplayer for nothing.

I will just assume that you have no information that could really answer this at this point and maybe that's for better, but to be honest I'm already losing hope.

Well it sounds like you’ve been worried about the story part of the game for some time and have latched onto the change you quoted as proof for your fears. I can tell you though that nothing has changed other than how you select playing the game solo.

Perhaps if the story won’t work with friends it will be a separate mode in which selecting more than 1 player will be impossible.

What is true, though, is that your interpretation of mixing SP and MP is faulty. The main reasons were to clean up the options menu and remove the possibility of a nasty bug that would cause a SP game to revert to a MP game and erase all progress/ corrupt the save game file.

You are reading way too much sinister motives into the announcement. If the story turns out to be less than you imagined or perhaps what Madmole wished for at some point earlier in development it will be for other reasons and not because we have a new method of selecting solo play.

I myself have a library of over 2500 public domain sound files...200 music files and numerous other sounds...I am

just a private developer...there are so many public domain sound and music files out there...I still to this day hear the "kunark ghost sounds" from Everquest and those were used way back in 2000-2001...

Not to mention all the asset packs for sale or free on the Unity store...you will definitely see them around...

Speaking of sounds....long ago I learned of the "Wilhelm Scream" now I hear the damn thing everywhere. Somethings you can't just unhear...

Scheduled to arrive 3-5 weeks prior to the (next +1) video based on evidence.

Really?

From what you were saying last week. It seemed to indicate that Madmole was going to try to put a video out either last week or this one.

Since it did not happen last week. I am assuming this one.

On the subject of solo vs multiplayer gaming, someone asked awhile back if you could change it after a save has been created and the answer is yes. You can change the number of players and whether the game shows up publicly, is visible only to friends, or is private and invisible to everyone.

So if you start out solo and select "1 player" and "private" and then later a friend wants to join you, you can change the number to "2 players" and "friends only" and then a couple weeks later when your friend suggests letting random noobs to join so you guys can gank them you can change it to "8 players" and "public". Then when the guilt hits you and your figure your friends is kind of a douchebag for ever suggesting such a slimey plan, you can set it back to 1 player and private.

And best of all since they enabled pause for multiplayer you can always pause the game whenever you happen to be alone on the server.

Speaking of sounds....long ago I learned of the "Wilhelm Scream" now I hear the damn thing everywhere. Somethings you can't just unhear...

Yeah, after learning of the "Wilhelm Scream" I went through the same thing. I purposefully try to not figure out stock sounds these days to avoid another occurrence. At this point it completely takes me out of the experience.

It's not something I made up in my mind. It's something madmole hinted at several times during the development. Maybe it is just my imagination of what it could be or simply misunderstanding of what he said, but it definitely sounded like something more than just anything you could achieve with sp and mp mixed together in a game with such features like 7 Days To Die.

Says you. Lets list just a few mechanics to tell a story in a destructible world full of grievers:

A) Anywhere in the world you find journals, quest or books telling you anything you need to know. Even though you find such stuff at random, it is for example very easy in principle to make certain that you get these journals, quests or books in the proper sequence if necessary. Or that you get specific papers only when certain preconditions are true. As long as you can scavenge anything, you can follow the story.

B) Radio messages could be introduced into the game. As soon as you build a simple transistor receiver (1 electronics, 1 wood, 1 battery) you can listen to whatever is on the waves, story, quests, cries for help, messages from the duke. Radio messages could even tell you where to meet specific NPCs necessary for a quest and should a griever kill him before you are there, the radio tells you where to find his replacement. As long as NPCs can be spawned, a griever can at most delay you for a bit.

C) NPCs can spawn as effortlessly as zombies. Don't ask how, but again, there is an endless supply of NPCs, and eventually you will talk to one who will give you information, quests... As long as TFP make sure that those NPCs are replaceable, no griever can really stop you.

D) Story-relevant NPCs could be indestructible. Sure, the world is destructible, but the traders are not.

E) There is a meta-method: If TFP decides that the story is not griever-safe, they could make story-relevant NPCs killable and declare the problem solved. Either you play cooperatively together with friends or alone and you simply don't kill NPCs that have something important to say. Or you play on a server with grievers and that's your own fault then.

Archived