Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

How sensitive will vehicles be to water?

We've kind of gone from one extreme to another with water.

For a long time, a person could just ride around under the water on a minibike.

Then, the minibike became aquaphobic, stopping dead in its tracks at even the tiniest bit of water.

I hope we can get a happy reasonably realistic medium.

- P

@gipo: Yep. Its impact will be very slight on our consciousness. Very much unlike Everdeen. The odds of not noticing Everdeen would have to be very much in your favor....or disfavor, I suppose, since you’d very much want to notice it but since it would be quite impossible to miss it, things would definitely be amiss with your ability to see what was there on the screen unless you really did in fact miss completely. In THAT case the impact of Everdeen would continue to remain a mys.....tery. ;)

You are a wonderful person. Salute! :)

@gipo: Yep. Its impact will be very slight on our consciousness. Very much unlike Everdeen. The odds of not noticing Everdeen would have to be very much in your favor....or disfavor, I suppose, since you’d very much want to notice it but since it would be quite impossible to miss it, things would definitely be amiss with your ability to see what was there on the screen unless you really did in fact miss completely. In THAT case the impact of Everdeen would continue to remain a mys.....tery. ;)

Hmm, a slight change to the HUD it sounds like...

How would you turn with the mouse? Mouse L/R makes the steering wheels go L/R? The wheels can only go so far, so you would keep moving the mouse, but the wheels are clamped. Then you move the other way and either it just starts moving right away, ignoring the amount you overshot, so finding center would be hard, or it doesn't turn until you get back in the valid range, which is slower. Could be done, but doesn't sound very responsive.

If you look in a 211° compass direction the vehicle turns towards that exact direction as long as you have any forward/backward speed.

Unlike with keys you get analog control like with one of those fancy racing game wheels. https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/5rQAAOSw7XZXg6-A/s-l640.jpg

It's actually a lot more responsive than A/D keys and the logical translation of mouselook into driving.

A/D would still be used for strafing (helicopter) and there typically is a key to hold for free-look or looking straight backwards.

The only real argument for key directional controls is that you can use mouselook to fire handguns out of a vehicle.

It doesn't prevent you from using mouselook to fire handguns out of a vehicle or fire a turret. Borderlands does exactly that and I'd rate it's "driving game" higher than GTA or Saint's Row.

You just have to hold the "free look" key if you want to use mouselook for weapons without steering the vehicle at the same time.

Borderlands (cars) and Ark (all dinosaurs) use these controls.

In Ark you always go straight when "driving" backwards. That's a neat trick because then you can look back to where you are going without any hassle.

It doesn't prevent you from using mouselook to fire handguns out of a vehicle or fire a turret. Borderlands does exactly that and I'd rate it's "driving game" higher than GTA or Saint's Row.

You just have to hold the "free look" key if you want to use mouselook for weapons without steering the vehicle at the same time.

A personal request, please don't allow gunfire while riding a bicycle...I don't want to have nightmares of bicycle drive by shootings *gag* lol...

bKNxmMd.png

Guest Rassilon

[*]Increased the block id limit to....[higher than it was] 1/26/18

[*]SP mode removed for one unified MP mode. You can play MP solo. 2/5/18

[*]Pause feature added to MP but only active when playing solo. 2/5/18

Dropped Features: Served up with total disappointment...

• Behemoth
  • Ziplines

@Roland. Just wanted to leave a "Thank you" for the new Update System with Color and Date. Makes it way easier to track in case one misses a few pages :)

Will there also be a fix for the melee animation/collision bug when not hosting? Seems like you can't play melee unless you host the game because zombie/blade connecting and zombiefist/player connecting is not the same as taking and giving damage. You can improve skill system for a melee class and melee combat itself as far as you want. As long as I have those issues melee is not possible. And I personally am a huge stealth/knife/bow fan!

Also: what about other blades?

I'm currently playing No Man's Sky...

The Rover in this game, has this exact steering form.

It's very intuitive and fast...

Another Bug

you have to set the settings that you want to allow or not allow more then 1 player.

" Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post

Fun fact: There is no SP game any more.

Instead you start a game and limit the number of players to 1 or 2. Or whatever."

number of players - 1 (would basically be single player) :):jaded:

thats all i am going to say and its already been discussed before anyways.

@UNHOLYJOE I've got another bug for you, doubt this has ever been reported. I'll shoot you a PM with details so that this doesn't go public and start getting abused in multiplayer.

If you don't have the game running then nobody can join.

If you do have the game running and set to 1 then nobody can join.

If you do have the game running and set to 2+ but set to private then nobody but friends can join.

If you do have the game running and set to 2+ and pause the game then nobody can join while it is paused.

If you do have the game running and set to 2+ and people are joined then you can't pause while they're there.

If you do have the game running and set to 2+ and you quit then it will kick everyone else from the game.

You start a game with 2 players, and after awhile quit playing for the evening.

Can you change that to 3 players when you restart the game for the next play session?

-A

We've kind of gone from one extreme to another with water.

For a long time, a person could just ride around under the water on a minibike.

Then, the minibike became aquaphobic, stopping dead in its tracks at even the tiniest bit of water.

I hope we can get a happy reasonably realistic medium.

- P

We are at the realistic medium, I don't think a normal motor works without air. The extreme would be that the bike is lost for good.

We are at the realistic medium, I don't think a normal motor works without air. The extreme would be that the bike is lost for good.

You need air and fuel to mix for an enegine to work. Underwater it would die a horrible death, but an option would be that the bikes health would be 1% and needed repairs after it was recovered back to the workshop. Although a electric motor bike would work just have insulate the electrics.

The car would also die underwater.

4x4's can be moddified to have snorkles so you can drive down rivers.

What's with Katniss Everdeen? Why are we referencing The Hunger Games?

I've fallen behind, and I'm too lazy and impatient to back track this for about 100 pages to find out ;)

A secret feature they have developed, but it doesn't work in MP games yet. Roland spilled the beans partly (the sphinxy way) and gave out the code name Everdeen for these beans. Should they not succeed in making this work in MP, Roland will tell us which feature we never will see after A17 dropped.

It probably is a feature about bows and there have to be circumstances where MP is a problem (so collecting arrows seems unlikely, I can't think of any way this would be a problem in MP)

A17 is really going to be a different game to play. I think the single player being removed should not really change anything to be fair. But is a nice touch that you can play with others using Multiplayer in single player mode but having extra spaces for friends to join you without having a server.

Does mean that you will need to have a good upload speed from your ISP for anything over 2 other players.

Does mean that you will need to have a good upload speed from your ISP for anything over 2 other players.

Yes. Even 1 player can get problems if he needs to connect to you over typical ISP consumer lines. At least that is what we experienced when we began experiments with MP server at home. We almost immediately switched to a rented server.

If you look in a 211° compass direction the vehicle turns towards that exact direction as long as you have any forward/backward speed.

That reminds me of Halo vehicle steering. Forgot about that method. Not played it in a while. Probably not hard to do...

Archived