Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I hated that mechanic, it made no sense.

If i remember it correctly, zombies cant run during the day due to the heat (a bit weird since they walk in snow), and run during the night.

Indoor areas would usually be cooler, so they would be able to run as if it was night time.

If i remember it correctly, zombies cant run during the day due to the heat (a bit weird since they walk in snow), and run during the night.

Indoor areas would usually be cooler, so they would be able to run as if it was night time.

it was light that governed when they run... inside buildings that were boarded up, they would run after you if you entered their dark hiding spot.

it was hilarious when a group of us went in and suddenly everyone was running and screaming to get out as they attacked very ferociously.

if your group had torches you could make them walk and someone was responsible for shooting/killing them. i miss those days. :)

It makes sense the other way around.

In the dark, zombies lurk and shamble around.

It's in the light where they get agitated.

If I remember correctly the heat was supposed to scramble their brains a bit, making them sluggish in direct sunlight. Given the area the game is set in I can sympathize, anything above 20 Celsius and my brain also fries.

I don't think that mechanic exactly makes sense either. Especially considering there is little to no temperature differential between inside and outside a house in the game nor do they suddenly start to run when the temperature started to fall outside.

- - - Updated - - -

This I sort of agree with, but that is not how the game is set up.

well i am or was just in an a1.1 game and it is the dark and light that govern their run... sunlight torches on walls or where ever placed and electric lights that were on all slowed them down to walk and in the dark such as the dark buildings and night they ran. sorry i could only go back to a1.1 never found the 1 build.

oh, and heat was not a factor as i tested it at night and day and in the different biomes but if i am not correct back them we didnt have heat/temps any ways. :)

well i am or was just in an a1.1 game and it is the dark and light that govern their run... sunlight torches on walls or where ever placed and electric lights that were on all slowed them down to walk and in the dark such as the dark buildings and night they ran. sorry i could only go back to a1.1 never found the 1 build.

oh, and heat was not a factor as i tested it at night and day and in the different biomes but if i am not correct back them we didnt have heat/temps any ways. :)

Heat as in radiant energy from light, not the heat map used to trigger wandering hordes or the environmental buff used to cripple players.

This seems about right to me too. Zombies attack you in the daylight when they see you. At night you can stealth past them because they can't. Makes sense it is because they are dependent on their (somewhat feeble) eyesight so much as we are. Which is why we have the advantage when we have night vision goggles. They are attracted to torches and mining helmets which I rather think is for the light and not how much heat it gives off. So it sort of makes sense to me that they would come after you in light but not in darkness.

Yes, I know they can smell us but if smell was a huge factor they would detect us the same in night and day..no stealth at all would work. Would almost be like having a permanent horde night.

Plus I lean towards the classic zombie that doesn't run but just overwhelms with numbers.

Or the virus is suppressed during the day by the suns radiation and during night time it's at its full capacity.

Lets have UV bombs to temporarily slow down zombies at night. And lets make zombies run deep underground. (caves and underground labs)

Right now they are working on animations for bandits. Everything that has been shown for players also applies to bandits. I know someone has been tasked with NPC AI but don’t know the progress.

Well I see that your trying to LOOK like a bandit.

Fail. lol :)

The one and only possible answer to zombie running indoors and at night:

1) There is a weak signal (coming from Antarctica, the moon or at CERN ground zero) that is partially disrupted by the suns rays or by any structure or being underground!

2) In the campaign, you must make the long journey from Arizona to the New World Order HQ and destroy the signal to finally end the zombie menace!

I'd be surprised if it was any more complicated than a basic C clone with memory management already sorted, the sort of thing you'd use to program an arduino. That would be more than enough for the purposes of modding.

I'm with you on the dislike of xml. I can do it but it's bloody awful to parse.

I use a full C++ compiler to program an arduino.

Would it be possible to make it so that upgrading something is prohibited by landclaim protection the same way that damaging a block is prohibited (Unless of course the person is on your friends list)?

The reason I ask is because on servers people can do something known as "Nailgun griefing" and just run around upgrading everything in sight. The act of doing this strips the paint off of every block touched. Structures that are normally made out of wood, stone, or cheap metal on purpose are currently VERY vulnerable to being turned into an absolute mess if they have a paint job on them. The worst part about this is, it's not really detectable unless you have a third party method such as CBSM to monitor who goes in a certain area. But in more public areas, even CBSM is useless

A good scalpel and some punch cards are the way to go.

Until someone drops a box of them and you need to resort them five times to get the five digit sequence number aligned again... er, not that I have any first hand experience with that... I'm too young... much too young*.

*Whether its physically, mentally or spiritually I'm not telling.

Honestly I think the game is now way too easy. The first seventh day is a joke as wood spikes are pretty OP. By day 8 I had blue level steel tools, the best guns and had no real threat to me.

I also miss the scary dangerous cities, you know? When you entered a city and the sky went dark and green and the streets were packed with the most dangerous zombies including feral zombies. Now you can just run in and get everything you need with no real threat. I miss that scary atmosphere.

Edit, I also never need to move beyond the Wooden Bow.

Archived