Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So i’m coming in late on the discussion but I really just stopped checking on development progress regularly since I don’t thunk this game will ever get finished.

...and that sentiment is well deserved after reading the original post. “Overhaul” the buff system, “Overhaul” the weapon system, “Overhaul”...

Overhaul? How about “finish” ANYTHING you EVER start? How many times have these things been overhauled already? Weapons, at least 3 times since A8 for example.

Great idea: how about you get a handle on the Attention Deficit Disorder and get the game running at a decent frame rate, stop stuff from randomly disappearing, crashes, lockups, add some content, and leave the major systems design alone?

Happy new year to you, too. Game is in developement, so what you talk about is all part of developement proccess, you obviously do not understand that. Don`t underestimate something you don`t understand.

It is theoretically possible to transfer a character to a new map/server but it's a huge can of worms because serves have different settings and mods.

An interesting thing you can do if you have a hacker on your server.

1. Get his Steam ID.

2. kick/ban him.

3. backup your player profile for your character. and make a copy of the hackers.

4. renamed the two hacker player files to your steamID

5. log in and you are now your character with all the hackers stuff.

Give stuff back to the players :)

Congrats on making it to Steam's top selling games in 2017

you read it wrong... the nay-sayers come in and tell us that 7dtd is going down the drain and people are leaving by the thousands because nothing is being fixed or added.

personally i am packing my bags before we hit that iceberg.

seriously tho, yep Irish, i was looking at all the figures yesterday and am impressed that we have done as good as we have... my hat is off to the fun pimps and thanking all the loyal players of this community... may 2018 prove just as productive. :)

you read it wrong... the nay-sayers come in and tell us that 7dtd is going down the drain and people are leaving by the thousands because nothing is being fixed or added.

personally i am packing my bags before we hit that iceberg.

seriously tho, yep Irish, i was looking at all the figures yesterday and am impressed that we have done as good as we have... my hat is off to the fun pimps and thanking all the loyal players of this community... may 2018 prove just as productive. :)

We've seen so many "the game is ruined" and "doomed" because the developers just don't know what they're doing posts it's almost funny. The good part is the Pimps have "ruined" it so well that it is one of the best games out there. I can't wait to see what they've developed for A17.

Thanks, Fun Pumps! And Happy New Year everyone!

Yeh "doooomed"... haha

Can we get a super rare chance to find/harvest a magic mushroom. So yee can either sell it fer a truck load or ya take it and it starts an random event. Like ya black out and when ya wake up ur are stuck in a room full of cheerleaders in a town you have never been to before or some other crazy ♥♥♥♥! Just for a mid-late game laugh

We've seen so many "the game is ruined" and "doomed" because the developers just don't know what they're doing posts it's almost funny. The good part is the Pimps have "ruined" it so well that it is one of the best games out there. I can't wait to see what they've developed for A17.

We're working hard on ruining the game even more. Promise! =P

Can we get a super rare chance to find/harvest a magic mushroom. So yee can either sell it fer a truck load or ya take it and it starts an random event. Like ya black out and when ya wake up ur are stuck in a room full of cheerleaders in a town you have never been to before or some other crazy ♥♥♥♥! Just for a mid-late game laugh

I take it you speak from experience? =P

Still - the new status effects system is a lot more powerful so more fun stuff can be tied to a "mushroom" item.

For instance, the "drunk" buff - in it's completely unfinished state - initiates a screen effect with a desired intensity. Like the screen blurring more and more as you get drunk as a skunk.

How and when that happens - matter of implementation. But the framework for it exists now. Just a bit of XML to trigger the effect.

This whole "overhaul" thing is about interaction... between features. Sounds weird and boring but that's how you get gameplay and choices.

So i’m coming in late on the discussion but I really just stopped checking on development progress regularly since I don’t thunk this game will ever get finished.

...and that sentiment is well deserved after reading the original post. “Overhaul” the buff system, “Overhaul” the weapon system, “Overhaul”...

Overhaul? How about “finish” ANYTHING you EVER start? How many times have these things been overhauled already? Weapons, at least 3 times since A8 for example.

Great idea: how about you get a handle on the Attention Deficit Disorder and get the game running at a decent frame rate, stop stuff from randomly disappearing, crashes, lockups, add some content, and leave the major systems design alone?

Free advice. Take it or not, up to you....

Never play another Alpha game. It's not for you.

How much time this steam sale take? I need to buy this game to my friend but i can't pay through my online card so i need to buy paysafe card. I need like 2 more days. Please god be gracious

- - - Updated - - -

And now they're all dead, with bottle stuck in their head

I'm pretty sure the game will get finished. After all TFP have build (still extending) a great framework for any future games they will make. If they wanted to "cash grab", they would have wrapped this game up by now and would work on the next one. The fact that this game still gets so extensive updates means they really want to deliver with this one!

Overhaul might not be the best word to describe the whole situation. As i understand, the first buff system was basic and the new will be much more extensive and better optimized. Both really good things.

But as far as weapon system goes, they are not actually "overhauling" the whole thing. They are extending it by adding depth and content. The gun parts were probably only put in because by the time of A16 they had not yet made mods for weapons nor was the framework ready. So actually it's not like they built this weapons system until it was ready and now they decided to throw it out and make a new one. With every new alpha they build on the previous stuff. And they would have never left it unfinished but then there would not have been A16 for us.

Also, some systems cannot be finished before other aspects of the game are developed far enough. Interaction between the systems add great depth and features "finished" by A5 might feel completely underdeveloped in A16.

A lot of this stuff is for beta stage. (btw, they actually are adding more content all the time) Optimizing systems before completing them might end up wasting a lot of time and thus pushing the beta even further. They have to find a reasonable balance.

Whatever. There is no way we'd go back to the old system so get used to the idea. ;)

If you ask any modders - who actually dig into these systems and what can be done with them - they'd be more like

It's a small scale scripting language with triggers, events, requirements, and math operations...

Funny how even when siding with them, people still believe you're actually disagreeing. :D

lol, it's the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" syndrome...we have been hearing Guppy disagree so long now that is just automatically seems he still is...even when agreeing.

Whatever. There is no way we'd go back to the old system so get used to the idea. ;)

If you ask any modders - who actually dig into these systems and what can be done with them - they'd be more like

It's a small scale scripting language with triggers, events, requirements, and math operations...

A small scripting language? Now that's good news. I'm kind of surprised your implementing it from scratch. I know how much of a PITA it is to parse nested maths operations, many years ago I implemented a CoreWar "redcode" compiler from scratch and that was painful enough. If you're willing to do the work then fair play to you. :-)

lol, it's the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" syndrome...we have been hearing Guppy disagree so long now that is just automatically seems he still is...even when agreeing.

Or the extended version "the boy who cried wolves are falling from the sky".

I may be combining too many things into one. Guppy is his own self-fulfilling fable of disgruntlement.

Horray - Finally modders have the means to undo any performance improvement of TFP with highly nested loops :fat:

Oh wait, you didn't list loops there.

But seriously: Hooray!! Is it a subset of C#? Or (I shudder to think about it) still encoded as xml? (http://conferences.idealliance.org/extreme/html/2004/Kepser01/EML2004Kepser01.html)

Archived