Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

As has already been explained to you multiple times you can expect no mod support from TFP other than whatever new aspects of the game they choose to expose to xml and the notes and tips written in the xmls that strive to give modders a rough understanding. Until such time as TFP turns their full attention to modding which won't happen until after the gold release of the unmodded game, this answer won't change Statis. This is the "figure it out yourself if you wish to mod" era of the game. If you want to mod but do not want to dive in and try and figure it out then your option is to use the mods of others and wait to do what you want to do until after the gold release.

There are no modders who have a special relationship or endorsement from TFP. In fact, Xyth, SylenThunder, Crater Creator, and OzHawkeye (as well as myself to a lesser degree) all create mods and are forum moderators and receive no special treatment or information for modding from TFP despite their obvious "in" as moderators. If having officially endorsed modders really was a thing, TFP would take the initiative to announce who these individuals were much like TFP did with the streamers. TFP has no reason to hide or keep secret a supposed "inner circle" of modders. In truth, modders come and go just as players do. Some tire of having to update their mods and others lose interest in the game.

If you personally find the barrier to break into modding 7 Days to Die to be too high then your only recourse is to wait until after gold when true mod support on the level you are looking for begins. Otherwise, you'll have to watch tutorials and read tips and helps from non TFP sources just like everyone else.

I was really bored yesterday and fired up an a17.whatever-is-current-build game. I've hardly played since 17's first experimental so yeah I'm a bit rusty, but still...lots of hours on previous alphas.

Day 2, ducked into the first room of a building to see about making arrows and some other nose-in-a-menu stuff. Yes I was sneaking.

Within about a minute several of the sleepers awoke. Darned if I can figure out why. They started making their way to my exact position. Naturally they eventually got there (some did get stuck for a while...oddly didn't take the building apart but kept marching in place) and started attacking.

Now, I'm pretty bad at melee. Even worse in confined areas. Still, I was surprised at how unhittable the zombies kept being. Like, maybe <40% of my swings actually connected. Hitting heads was very often a failure. Hitting the body wasn't even a given, despite trying to keep the crosshairs on the zombies as much as possible despite their odd janky turning all the time.

I really don't like the new melee mechanic. That club couldn't possibly miss a glancing blow passing through the zombie's airspace, even if it wasn't a good solid head or torso hit as intended.

I really like a lot of a17 changes, and the ones that I don't like (I REALLY miss Learn by Doing) I can live with, but the melee combat changes make it just about impossible for me to fight indoors.

I'm also quite perturbed that sleepers kept coming, despite the only noise being club combat. I am absolutely sure they were sleepers, not a random wandering horde. They came from the building and most seemed to be coming down from upstairs somewhere. I even saw a wight just before the one ahead of it killed me. The whole building woke up, for what? The sound of a backpack opening? Or does one sleeper make noise that wakes another sleeper now? That's about all I've thought of...chain-reacting sleepers awakening.

Anyhow...going back to not playing for a while because this sucks so much fun out of the game for me. Just thought I'd share.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I'm with a part of the gang here wanting some info on the next patch - can we get a breakdown of what's fixed from the known bugs like you used to have, that was very informative. My bro and I are literally holding out to play as we want to hit the new Nav map while it's still mostly unknown and ours to discover :)

Also - if possible, pls fix vehicles disappearing.. Losing out on many hours of gathering mats is game "quittingly" frustrating. Would be cool to have a restore type option - maybe where for every x minutes like a time stamp of vehicles + their loot.

Hey I'm with a part of the gang here wanting some info on the next patch - can we get a breakdown of what's fixed from the known bugs like you used to have, that was very informative.

I agree. Even Fataal got bored of posting progress reports on his work. The forum is not happening at the moment.

At a minimum we need a new scandal. For example TFP should announce:

*) that the inventory will be changed to a console-friendly version

*) that the behemoth will be coming, but because of size restrictions it will be a Minimoth instead

*) we won't find loot in POIs anymore, only loot coupons that can be exchanged for loot at the trader.

-----------------------

EDIT: Did not notice but there is a new A18 Developer Thread were everything is happening. And I've been lurking here all the time and listened to the crickets chirping.

• 3 weeks later...
@Roland hello, is any relevant new information available about the 17.3 update?

thank you.

So far this week, there were about a dozen bugs fixed and 4 builds made. There are around a dozen remaining bugs for 17.3 and of course whatever new ones the testers may find.

@faatal, I know that RWG is still be worked on. But, will the large bodies of waters and lakes come back? That I feel is the main thing that really is missing. So far with several of the maps I've generated for the A17.3 EXPERIMENTAL, some don't even have any water sources or none that are easily discernable when previweing seeds.

Now as for the horde and zombies AI. Will more of specific zombie functions be implemented? Some things I could think of since zombies can dig now are:

- Making the spider zombie be able to climb blocks and be able to damage them. Like for example, the horde base we currently use in A17.2 (b27), is a tower. I think having spider zombies be able to stick to walls would add to the danger building such as thing.

- Adding to the above, perhaps zombies can have a preference in terms of what spawns. So, if a player decides to build a tower they'll get more zombie vultres, spider zombies, and cops. Since the vulture and cop can vomit it would keep players on their toes having to determine which to take out. However, if a person decides to build a bonafide bunker-style base, like using pillar 50's to make a melee base, they'lll have to contend with fat zombies like the hawaiian shirt, mama juju, and the biker. While, if one decides to build an underground base, dogs and screamers would spawn more. Dogs to dig fast and screamers to make person have multiple ways out.

-I also think the burning zombie is underutilized. What I think the burning zombie do, is that it would have increased damage against blocks including those like iron, stone, concrete, and steel. It would also add another factor in building a base.

@faatal, I know that RWG is still be worked on. But, will the large bodies of waters and lakes come back? That I feel is the main thing that really is missing. So far with several of the maps I've generated for the A17.3 EXPERIMENTAL, some don't even have any water sources or none that are easily discernable when previweing seeds.

Now as for the horde and zombies AI. Will more of specific zombie functions be implemented? Some things I could think of since zombies can dig now are:

- Making the spider zombie be able to climb blocks and be able to damage them. Like for example, the horde base we currently use in A17.2 (b27), is a tower. I think having spider zombies be able to stick to walls would add to the danger building such as thing.

- Adding to the above, perhaps zombies can have a preference in terms of what spawns. So, if a player decides to build a tower they'll get more zombie vultres, spider zombies, and cops. Since the vulture and cop can vomit it would keep players on their toes having to determine which to take out. However, if a person decides to build a bonafide bunker-style base, like using pillar 50's to make a melee base, they'lll have to contend with fat zombies like the hawaiian shirt, mama juju, and the biker. While, if one decides to build an underground base, dogs and screamers would spawn more. Dogs to dig fast and screamers to make person have multiple ways out.

-I also think the burning zombie is underutilized. What I think the burning zombie do, is that it would have increased damage against blocks including those like iron, stone, concrete, and steel. It would also add another factor in building a base.

Use the seed Afterlife..was a great seed for 17.....now its an island...with 2 small towns on it..useless..but it has alot of water

• 2 months later...

Hey just wanted to share a compilation of ideas of my own + some very appealing ones i've seen so far.

>>>Stationary weaponry => cannons(on vehicles(like tanks))/tripod mg's(good for manned defensePVPVE or suppressionPVP)/mortars (for siege battles, because the engine supports vehicles and rockets so why not combine the best both worlds);

>>>Catapults (idk why);

>>>Grappling hook (because Grappling hook);

>>>Ziplines;

>>>Integration of Firearms 2 mod (which adds a ton of awesome functioning models);

>>>Bulldozers for all your excavational/demolitionary;

>>>Perfurators for all your mining needs;

>>>Removal of Oil Shale, add in oil with water texture;

>>>Oil Pumps (for infinite oil but low production rate so the more u place the best);

>>>Gravitometer (For finding and detecting Oil and rare materials underground);

>>>Planes with a catch!(they have a ramp which allows u to pick up a vehicle (1 jeep or 2 bikes);

>>>Functioning Elevators;

>>>Caltrops (tier above iron traps, much higher durability);

>>>Zombie Moleman (which will try to dig into your base) but every time he scratches the walls, loses a bit of hp. Potentially making a hole which other zombies will then target as a weakness in ur defense;

>>>Blocks catching fire due to eg: burnt victim hitting wooden block. Fire spreading (perhaps creating a meta for players to move onto the burnt zone only after they get cement or alternatively just make stone/rebar structures to prevent against this);

>>>Reworked zombies (bc laggy in numbers and rigid+clunky);

>>>Reworked block/building collapse (bc lol wth);

>>>Boats (when larger watermasses become a thing);

>>>Custom map creation with mapping tools + custom factions;

>>>Zombies seek not only to damage wall but if wall is to stronk, try to climb it wwz style;

>>>Wolves become werewolves in bloodmoon;

>>>CCTV cameras (ik theres a mod for it but could do in vanilla);

>>>Guards for trader (ik they're in mods but theres also alot of other undesirable stuff in those mods);

>>>Placed stationary(or not) AI defenders/workers/attackers (This one I know is way to ambitious but just imagine how cool that'd be);

>>>NPC's scattered around the map (like roaming traders, quest givers, etc etc);

>>>Bandits;

>>>Flags;

>>>Varying sizes for drawbridges and gates;

>>>Screaming Child zombies (ouch that gimme spook factor);

>>>Blocks for connecting wires through walls, no more funny looking power chord crossing wall;

>>>Jetpack (idk why);

>>>Power chords cost resources;

>>>Power chords with more electricity flow must be bulkier and more expensive;

>>>Proper dynamite rigging (connected by wire) for mining/pvp siege sabotage/demolition;

>>>Bombs;

>>>Functional modifications for vehicles (with spikes for spiking zeds, retractable blades, weapons and shielding);

>>>Zombies target vehicles (must protect ur property);

>>>Shields for shield-bashing 1 on 1 mlee PVPVE, bullet protection on PVPVE (with bandits);

>>>One handed/Double handed weapon types;

>>>Pets (guard doggo, bear etc);

>>>UrMom (lvl 9999 boss)(has a very low chance of spawning in a kitchen once ur in endgame gear);

>>>Huge spiders able to climb walls (ew) so reinforce ur walls with defenses also;

>>>Oil cauldrons (Connected with trigger plates that drop boiling oil on zeds, reducing HP and speed and lowering resistance);

>>>Crocodiles;

>>>Horses (+ saddles = ?);

>>>Volcanoes (+ magma);

>>>Natural disasters (earthquake, flood, volcanoes);

>>>Repeater bow (the one from van-helsing looks really cool);

>>>Nazi zombies (arrive on horde night and shoot you up);

>>>Nazi zombie camps;

>>>Much higher reload speed cap for bows;

>>>Minigame for lockpicking;

>>>Lockpicking levels (doors, cars, all the way up to safe cracking) with different models of lockpicking minigames;

>>>Parachutes;

>>>Lasso;

>>>Placeable blocks that break on stepping (to make pitfall traps);

I have some others but less relevant...

why name a seed Dr.Pepper unless you make the player model into a can of Dr.Pepper

- - - Updated - - -

i really should start writing these things down.. LOL

the Dark

Here Alone

Dark Water

pick any zombie movie and make a variation of its name as a seed, thats what I do.. until we got to Dr. Pepper. But that seed wasnt Dr. Pepper, it was in the Dark Waters, Here Alone, The Last seed era when I watched those movies.

why name a seed Dr.Pepper unless you make the player model into a can of Dr.Pepper

• 7 months later...

Archived