Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

ok so i put my 3 cents in (inflation)...

all this pointless arguing about the bars and who is right or wrong and what seems realistic or not..... but its ok to be able to carry couple hundred thousand tons of stone and iron around and nobody argues... well actually they do.... they want to carry more with bigger bags that apparently seems more realistic...

there is my 5 cents (growing inflation) now argue about something else too :)

btw, you can argue with me all you want... i'll ignore it anyways :)

Exactly why I don't like going too deep into arguments about realism in game design, because you can't apply that same level of depth to everything. I stick with simpler realism arguments, like how it's total nonsense that an auger can punch through stone and metal. I demand a jackhammer dangit!

And?

That quote does not say anything about having a lack of interaction with the game. That quote says that removing the bar and replacing it with the current system that includes notifications instead of ever present exact information makes the game better. You can still interact with the game every bit as much as before. In fact, you get to interact with the game MORE now because you now have to press a button to look at your food bar if you're feeling itchy about it. You also have to listen for the audio clues and notice the pop ups. The current implementation is the opposite of "a lack of interaction".

Nice try. Maybe if you said that my essential argument is that a lack of exact information leads to a more difficult game then that quote would be dead to rights but then so would your characterization of my argument. But I'm not for less interaction and I don't think that is the way to make things more difficult and that quote you linked has nothing to do with that.

OOooooh SNAP...he got it in writing!! DAMN!!!

He got something in writing to be sure. Maybe if he finds one that actually applies there will be a snappy Gotcha Roland moment we can all laugh about. :)

Wow, so many opinions about the HUD. IMO it doesn't seem like the Fun Pimps have to do anything to it since there are lots of mod options for it. Seems like a pointless argument.

I just noticed these lil deets on the A17 Feature list. Where is the discussion for this? Did I miss something?

+Power moves for melee combat

Weapon Overhaul

+Replace gun parts with attachable modifications

Pointless to you and others. Something to do while we wait for some. Without these little blah blahs you would see *cricket* *chirp* *chirp*... nothing new for weeks on end.

At least it something even if ppl don't always agree on the discussion.

Exactly why I don't like going too deep into arguments about realism in game design, because you can't apply that same level of depth to everything. I stick with simpler realism arguments, like how it's total nonsense that an auger can punch through stone and metal. I demand a jackhammer dangit!

Its fine to go deep as long as you don't get upset and become rude. Its all just talk and as much as I believe my own position I won't be angry if the developers change direction and add some more Iron Man Suit Doohickies to the HUD.

Sphereii has my back on this one. :)

i know right... last time i used an auger and hit a damn small rock, i almost broke my wrist. now if the stupid auger was a jack-hammer then all would be swell. :)

Pointless to you and others. Something to do while we wait for some. Without these little blah blahs you would see *cricket* *chirp* *chirp*... nothing new for weeks on end.

Absolutely. Debates are enjoyable as long as people can remain respectful. I didn't feel any animosity towards anyone in this discussion and I hope I didn't offend anyone. I often change my view as a result of these things.

But as incredulous as Red Eagle is that I could possible take the position I am taking nothing that has been said has changed my mind that the old implementation that the Pimps removed represented too much survival assistance and that what we have now is definitely better.

Okay NOW I'm done. lol.

Absolutely. Debates are enjoyable as long as people can remain respectful. I didn't feel any animosity towards anyone in this discussion and I hope I didn't offend anyone. I often change my view as a result of these things.

But as incredulous as Red Eagle is that I could possible take the position I am taking nothing that has been said has changed my mind that the old implementation that the Pimps removed represented too much survival assistance and that what we have now is definitely better.

Okay NOW I'm done. lol.

Pft, If this discussion hurt any ones feelings then well... They're having a bad day or they need to adjust their sensitivity settings because it's set to low.

Its fine to go deep as long as you don't get upset and become rude. Its all just talk and as much as I believe my own position I won't be angry if the developers change direction and add some more Iron Man Suit Doohickies to the HUD.

Sphereii has my back on this one. :)

Not so much about it affecting the tone of the discussion, but because it's unreasonable to use realism of a certain depth as a focal point for argument in video games. Mainly because those deep levels of realism can't be applied to many other aspects of the game. It can be worth it to mention some of those points, but trying to make them the main focus isn't always the best route.

Okay NOW I'm done. lol.

Clear what is intended here. No one ever said the old system was better. You're the only one trying to equate the natural ability to simply think for a second and determine if you are hungry with a magical GPS system that identifies friend/foe player/zombie/animal through wall moving or not. You are the one insisting those 2 are the same. Please let me know since you have the ability to think and determine if you are hungry, how is your magical GPS ability that lets you see things through walls and know if they are friend/foe (or are they not equivalent)?

I took it to imply the conversation (as a whole) has saltiness all over, up, around, it is a mine of saltiness. :)

Ahh gotcha. lol

haha if they thought this discussion was salty I would've loved to see their reaction years ago xD

- - - Updated - - -

Yeaa something like that^^

everybody is insalted

We need a Forums Hud with a "salt level" Bar.

lol that would be funny

Not so much about it affecting the tone of the discussion, but because it's unreasonable to use realism of a certain depth as a focal point for argument in video games. Mainly because those deep levels of realism can't be applied to many other aspects of the game. It can be worth it to mention some of those points, but trying to make them the main focus isn't always the best route.

I agree. I think you start with what seems to accurately represent real life and then deviate for the sake of gameplay. Its perfectly okay to have some parts of the game adhere closer to reality than other parts. There will always be someone who finds this unrealistic thing or that unrealistic thing jarring but the developers can't please everyone. It takes a community of modders to do that.

Let me rephrase. Why are we talking about the HUD rather than the "Power moves for melee combat", the "Weapon Overhaul", and the "Replace gun parts with attachable modifications"? Was this even talked about recently? I just noticed they were added on to the list but I cannot find any mention of them.

System in Project Zomboid is ideal for 7D2D!!!

PZ.jpg

I was going to post this very thing, and then figured "meh, why bother..."

Thumbs up Orsey! This is a *much* better system. No numbers to be gamed, but a constant reminder when you get to a certain state that you should do something about it - and it's pretty unobtrusive...

-A

Let me rephrase. Why are we talking about the HUD rather than the "Power moves for melee combat", the "Weapon Overhaul", and the "Replace gun parts with attachable modifications"? Was this even talked about recently? I just noticed they were added on to the list but I cannot find any mention of them.

Power Moves for Melee Combat:

Mentioned by Madmole as part of the motion capture video. No details or video of it other than that.

Weapon Overhaul:

Talked about by Madmole here and there. Nothing visible shown yet.

Replace Gun Parts With Attachable Modifications:

Mentioned as part of the weapon overhaul. No specifics yet.

HUD:

Shown in the last video and seemingly contradictory to past statements by Madmole so.....drama.

Talking about one topic does not preclude talking about another topic. We can focus on more than one thing at a time. ;)

Besides, there's no way I can keep up with every topic in this thread. I pick the ones where I feel I have something to say. And then I'm usually ignored. /shrug :p

Yeah, idk know why those topics didn't take off that much. The forums are a fickle beast and some topics you hope would be thoroughly discussed just doesn't peak enough ppls interest that much. Then as time goes by 'IT' becomes the latest thing to talk about. xD

Archived