Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Oh man...this is minimap zombie radar blip playbook 101

You are just plain wrong on food and drink. Sorry but you live a very sedentary life if you truly believe this.

Hot and cold shows up in the game as soon as you are. What's the issue with that?

Stamina is a useless bar.

Health bar is critical. I agree with that but I also play without that and function just fine....

If you remove the bar and give us other indicators, like Hurting soungs or a bloodied vision on the screen I would also like to get rid of the health bar...of it coulds just blend in when you reach a certain level like 25% HP btw i love the frozen screen in savage lands when you get too cold.

the toolbelt on the other hand is nice just because i like easy play ^^ but if it would fade away when not used... that would be nice ^^

Roland

You know there are other ways to let the player know that there avatar is hungry, sick or not well.

\

Being hungry and/or thirst would effect overall performance such as running speed and endurance (stamina).

A bad injury could effect this AND make the player hobble due to a leg injury. Not just slow down.

Other indicators could be things like screen goes in and out of focus at times (blurred vision).

Avatar view suddenly changes as if falling down due to weakness. Could also stumble as well.

Cuts or gashes on the avatar's hands and arms to show injury's.

Trembling due to cold.

Sweating due to heat showing up on hands and arms.

Moan due to injury or illness.

Adding this to the other Q's already in the game such as.

Sound.

Color change due to injury.

This could go a long way to showing the player problems and soon removing on screen icons due to them not being needed.

As it would not break immersion.

Like this ?

7A9E643119A0E10E9EF5DA4BD65A82654F404D21

Annoying screen effects i imagine as i read your suggestions

As mentioned before, Savage Lands has a lot of nice screen effects to make it more obvious what exactly is ailing you. The worse the problem the more severe the visual effect. With that you don't need bars on screen.

HUD discussion lasting 3+ days... that has to be close to a record of most pointless ongoing rants to hit this forum. You folks have been arguing the same points until we are all starved, out of breath, thirsty, and cold. We all died and got consumed by the zombie HUD thread.

HUD discussion lasting 3+ days... that has to be close to a record of most pointless ongoing rants to hit this forum. You folks have been arguing the same points until we are all starved, out of breath, thirsty, and cold. We all died and got consumed by the zombie HUD thread.

The simple point is that a clean HUD is really a good thing. But like all things that go into a extreme. If Player get anoyed and die because of to less informations its to much.

I can life without food and thirst bar, but the weather survival system (and how it affexts hunger and thirst) is only annoying

So I'll just jump topic and ask if the Biker's beard of invulnerability will be addressed in A17? So many arrows and bolts have gone from my crouched position right through said beard into the void of nothingness as though never having touched the biker. Seems to be an issue from that crouched angle quite a bit. Standing seems to be less of an issue (just to be clear).

Minimap and food bars are not even close and if you cannot tell the difference then there is no point even trying to discuss the issue with you. We will have to disagree if you cannot see the difference between a magic GPS mapping system with blips for beings versus something your character would innately, intimately, and with a single thought be able to decide. If you can actually tell the difference between the 2 then you are just trolling and purposeful trolling would be rather rude.

Anything you've said while comparing the 2 just illustrates your lack of comprehension of the difference or the level of trolling ocurring. As such, like I said, just have to agree to disagree. Not going to play this out whilst you compare a magic minimap with motion sensors and being/animal identification to something your own body would tell you.

Back at you Bird of Rouge. You are either being deliberately obtuse or you just aren't able to draw parallel comparisons. Either way I guess we do have to agree to disagree. But everything I've said comparing the two onscreen indicators that were both created to assist the player by giving feedback that their own senses would tell them in real life is both valid and sound even if you can't or won't see them. Are they exactly the same in every way? Of course not. But the arguments for their inclusion are pretty spot on and the fact that they are both more than is necessary is also the same.

Just because you like the one and mod it in and disliked the other and modded it out doesn't mean there's no comparison. It just means you're a bit inconsistent with onscreen indicators and how they give (too much) help to players.

Why that pesky O2 gauge then? Without it you may forget to check and then find yourself in a precarious spot with only 10% Oxygen left and what you choose to do at that point could lead to a triumphant moment or death and it is that specific scenario that makes this survival game addictive. Every time you find yourself in a situation where imminent triumph or imminent death are both very possible the game gets good.

I mean...it's not like you could possibly know exactly how long you could hold your breath!

and...

Why should we have a detailed ammo level? Without it you may forget to check and then find yourself in a precarious spot with only 10% ammunition left and what you choose to do at that point could lead to a triumphant moment or death and it is that specific scenario that makes this survival game addictive. Every time you find yourself in a situation where imminent triumph or imminent death are both very possible the game gets good.

I mean...it's not like you could possibly know exactly how many 9mm rounds were in that pouch...right??

and...

Why should we have any buff indicator? Without it you may forget to check and then find yourself in a precarious spot presuming you were perfectly fine and what you choose to do at that point could lead to a triumphant moment or death and it is that specific scenario that makes this survival game addictive. Every time you find yourself in a situation where imminent triumph or imminent death are both very possible the game gets good.

I mean...it's not like you could possibly diagnose if you'd actually contracted some illness or broken your leg?...Whadru...somekindadoctor??

For crying out loud....we know how hungry and thirsty we are...almost always. This is a needless sacrifice of reality to enhance "gameplay". How about "Tetris Zombies" that force you to complete three waves of "Bone-Tetris" whenever you're hit....that'd sure add to our imminent gameplay; not so sure it'd make the game good.

-Morloc

Good ones :)

The point for me has always been how much is too much. For drowning what we have is probably about right. For stack sizes I could go with just a visual that shows one, some, many without exact number counts. That would be cool. Buff indicators seem like they aren't too revealing. There's no countdown timer on them telling you exactly how much time you have left to get the antidote.

I also think the current system of feedback for hunger is about right.

This discussion is a direct result of the information released by Madmole. Its more on topic than a lot of things that get talked about.

That being said, I'm done. Anyone can go back and read my position and it is pointless to keep repeating it. At least Red Eagle moved his position from saying that we ALWAYS know when we're hungry to we ALMOST always know. That's my imminent triumph vs imminent death moment for today....

This discussion is a direct result of the information released by Madmole. Its more on topic than a lot of things that get talked about.

That being said, I'm done. Anyone can go back and read my position and it is pointless to keep repeating it. At least Red Eagle moved his position from saying that we ALWAYS know when we're hungry to we ALMOST always know. That's my imminent triumph vs imminent death moment for today....

My position has not changed. I've just decided not to play your games while you continue to insist that knowing if you as a person are hungry is the same as a magic GPS system that sees through walls, identifies moving and non-moving entities, and their type (animal/player/zombie).

One is something you just have to choose to think about. Thought, nothing more, no opening a pack, etc.

The other is completely magical GPS system that sees through walls, identifies moving and non-moving entities, and their type (animal/player/zombie).

There is nothing further to discuss while such thigns are considered equivalent.

System in Project Zomboid is ideal for 7D2D!!!

PZ.jpg

ok so i put my 3 cents in (inflation)...

all this pointless arguing about the bars and who is right or wrong and what seems realistic or not..... but its ok to be able to carry couple hundred thousand tons of stone and iron around and nobody argues... well actually they do.... they want to carry more with bigger bags that apparently seems more realistic...

there is my 5 cents (growing inflation) now argue about something else too :)

btw, you can argue with me all you want... i'll ignore it anyways :)

Could you please quote what you thought was me "essentially arguing that lack of interaction ability makes the game harder"? If you thought that was an essential argument of mine then I was egregiously unclear or you're just being snarky...

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Diary-Alpha-17!!!&p=761160&viewfull=1#post761160

System in Project Zomboid is ideal for 7D2D!!!

PZ.jpg

Thats the kind of thing I meant with the icons encircled. However where you put colour indicators, I suggested the white bar should deplete returning anticlockwise from the 12 o clock point to the 12 o clock point.

Thats a pretty nice visual representation I must admit, though perhaps have the heat from a flame change to an ice cube? And the lungs to a smiley, to neutral, to sad?

Also just to add, about that other player that was giving me crap thinking my remarks about Gaz and Rolands comments were just me spouting nonsense again 'wanting to get myself banned', I would like to note how happy I am that this blossomed into a positive and interesting conversation.

Well deserved middle finger to the cynics, keep up the convo :)

Wow, so many opinions about the HUD. IMO it doesn't seem like the Fun Pimps have to do anything to it since there are lots of mod options for it. Seems like a pointless argument.

I just noticed these lil deets on the A17 Feature list. Where is the discussion for this? Did I miss something?

+Power moves for melee combat

Weapon Overhaul

+Replace gun parts with attachable modifications

It doesn't seem like the Fun Pimps have to do anything to it since there are lots of mod options for it. Seems like a pointless argument.

Agreed.

Also just to add, about that other player that was giving me crap thinking my remarks about Gaz and Rolands comments were just me spouting nonsense again 'wanting to get myself banned', I would like to note how happy I am that this blossomed into a positive and interesting conversation.

See? It's not hard. We can all be friends here if we want. :D

Well, few days of having fun with opinions and argues, but its part of the game. Since it is Alpha, devs have us here to listen our opinion and bring us better experiense. But there must be a sane border where we have to behave. Like survivors.

Remember - he who laughs last, thinks slower. Cheers.

Archived