Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Ever try spherical or hyperbolic geometry?

Spherical? Yes. Hyperbolic? Never had the need :-)

Procedurally generated terrain has been a fascination of mine for decades now. Seeing what TFP were doing with a voxel engine was what got me interested in 7dtd in the first place. It's probably why I'm so critical of TFP, I just know they can do better than this.

Updated the Developer Diary with the last few days of dev posts.

Can’t the posts just auto copy there from devs? I am complaining I know but it’s impossible to read this thread and always see MM or Gazz

Is there a way to set the respawn delay on buildings. I'd like to have outposts but I don't want to have zombies respawn there in 5 days or however long it is.

"A55hole" has tons of POIs in a large and nearly perfect circle of cities. Also seed "999555999" looks good with a mix of biomes and a decent amount of towns on the northern and western sides of the map in the snow and grassy biomes

I never said it wasn’t getting better. I know it is. What started this was people complaining that large maps are more important than a working game.

Haven't mind you when said it. Larger maps are cool and all, but first ppl should let the guys finish whats needed, indeed ;)

Can’t the posts just auto copy there from devs? I am complaining I know but it’s impossible to read this thread and always see MM or Gazz

I’m not sure what you mean by autocopy vs me copying them in and how that would make a difference. If you want more context then simply click on the redirect arrows in the quotes that a dev included in his response and you’ll go to the original thread and can read what all was said. Otherwise just stay up to date by reading all the threads.

I wish AOE buffs worked correctly on blocks; right now you have to hijack a vanilla AOE buff like Campfire warming in order to have something like a rad-removal-zone. I'm using an item in hand on a mod, but then THAT means a person has to be holding it... and can't fight. =)

You can run an AOE buff on a worn item. See the ring of fire dev item.

I don't think there's currently a "good" way to have blocks emitting AOE buffs. Potential performance issue, too, if overused / spawned randomly.

I am seriously wondering why they bother to change it in first place from a16, when they didn't finish it. They should keep that code. in A16 lot of mods already remove some biome and adjust them through editing they can do that and keep it until they rewrite it. they make a mess of RGW.

It had to change in order to work with the quest system and related features.

It's not about "keeping that code" at all.

In a procedural generation system, even small changes can have massive effects...

Kinyaa clones are super expensive so very little time was spent on RWG but the upcoming A17 RWG is looking to be .50cal JHP mind-blowing.

Kinyaa clones are super expensive so very little time was spent on RWG but the upcoming A17 RWG is looking to be .50cal JHP mind-blowing.

Looking forward to that very much.

Also, if TFP wants to launch a Kickstarter to clone Kinyaa, I'd be happy to kick in a few bucks too.

Our RWG has always been "programmer art". That's not even a diss.

All based on rules and noise functions and while that can definitely be serviceable it's almost impossible to make it look pretty or beyond.

Now if you combine programmer art with art art you get... better results.

Also, working with an artist means that the created systems and tools are way more... human-compatible. ;)

Fair enough i did mean 16X16 maps, but who cares if even another 5gb is added to the game? If you think logically another 10gbs would literally mean nothing as most games releasing of considerable size are 50+ gigs. Imo id much rather have a select few “large” maps thats tested for quality and that has a sense of epicness to them and detail, then the crappy super small RWG maps thats created on the spot that we have currently have. Just my thought.

Well, I'm an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't give a ♥♥♥♥ about the latest AAA games, so I have not one single game in my Steam library that is much over 10 Gb. And I like it that way.

But even if you accept 100 Gb games - remember that a) a significant number of players won't even give a ♥♥♥♥, so that's disk space wasted on nothing, and b) this is really only useful until RWG is not totally ♥♥♥♥ed (and TFP said RWG is high priority so I'm hoping that's a narrow window of time).

Plus, for most of the U.S. it takes about the same amount of time to download a 2.5G map as it does to generate it. (Thanks, Ajit Pai.)

That's why I think providing a seed is better - near-zero disk space/download times, and in the same time it would take to download a map, it's generated. No fuss, no muss.

Obviously there are more concerns from TFP, basically they'd be curating any included maps, so if they aren't at least up to Navesgane standards then tons of folks would bitch.

i really really hate it when webpages like github want to force me using special characters in my passwords.

I have a simple system i use for all my passwords.

As a example (with a diferent formula)

Github would be

7 for G

i overtaken from github

33 as a string i add allways on this place

hub again overtaken from the webpage

= 7i33hub

This way i can have different passwords for all my 50 Websites and other stuff i use passwords.

But NOOOOOOO a very smart ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ of programmer means i am not allowed to do that.

So i set a password i am sure i forget in 2 months and i will never again be able to access my stuff

Rant over

-----------------------------------------------------------------

ohh sorry, thought i wrote in my mod thread. Anyway

Edited by Royal Deluxe (see edit history)

I worry about the negative vibes towards RWG...

So it's broken currently, yeah, but Kin has fixed it up before more than a few times...

It's obvious that RWG didnt receive a lot of love after the upgrade to Unity2018, and the changes that followed.

Which is more than likely because, other things required attention more urgently.

I just hope the negative vibes, don't create a "thing", where working on RWG is considered a chore by the dev.

The best results always comes, from a clear and happy mind.

Remember that survivers ;)

So it's broken currently, yeah, but Kin has fixed it up before more than a few times...

It's obvious that RWG didnt receive a lot of love after the upgrade to Unity2018, and the changes that followed.

Which is more than likely because, other things required attention more urgently.

I just hope the negative vibes, don't create a "thing", where working on RWG is considered a chore by the dev.

You shouldn`t. Everything good needs time. I am sure Kin is having fun with the new art guy who works with him on RWG ;)

You know when you talk like that, you raise expected multi fold... Once a smart man told me, Say less do more. But 7DTD team do exactly opposite. All good programming you did goes waste when people don't see what is expected. Visual always override the logics.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the game, and how it progress. But define urgently... this a17 is under production for 15-18 months or so I guess now, and it use 5 yrs of development experience before hand. Yet, it is not completed. Not saying team is not doing efforts, but urgent word lost it's meaning for "yet another alpha release" in 1+ yrs. Nothing is urgent, they are fixing things people complain most.

You know when you talk like that, you raise expected multi fold... Once a smart man told me, Say less do more.

Just look around. Some people would complain if the next iteration of RWG would print money. ;)

Unfortunately you have many of the big prefabbers and the guy whom is a magician with the compo pack knowing how broken the rwg is (even tho they know it will be great when finished whom have to realise that the 17.2 exp version is not a good working model. One can not do what one has done for a long time in a island so small.

the rwg has had many bugs for a while and as you stated it is broken. The hubs was a great thing for the game had it was removed. the unlimited world was removed (this is understandable not any game has made it succesful altho was kinda hoping tfp would make ground breaking and get that one.

the water has alot of issues as Magoli has made a urgent thread about. We all know Kinyajuu is a magician and when let loose i believe he will own the rwg and have it superb. But you have alot of long timers here whom deal with the rwg and do their magic to bring alot of people enjoyment with the things they do and all be it game still in alpha state we all are aware and these things occur. we get our backs up when a dev says I PREFER it kinda is a kick up the rear to all of us whom love the game and give our feedback and all. but in the end we do know the end of the road will have it sorted and these things will work but we like to voice our concerns like everyone else,

Just look around. Some people would complain if the next iteration of RWG would print money. ;)

If the denomination was in tea bricks I might have a whinge or two :-)

Well i would only wish more info.

I reportet 2 RWG issues and got zero feedback.

Now i have no clue if:

* The reports have been forwarded or not

* If forwarded if the issues was known

But imagine for a moment they didnt known the issues. Well then it was allready helpfull to release the current RWG.

Sadly i imagine it a other way. The RWG team said "We need no feedback on rwg because we work active on it and know that it is broken". The QA didnt forward the info. And because both Issues are not really obvious the next RWG build will still have these issues.

And the joke is that the obvious problems they cause are likely tried to fix by completly different measures.

So that after the next build that looks better than the current they can again start from scratch. As i wrote in report. The fix change 0-1 Prefabs of a type to over 1000. Means all the Propabilitys in the rwgmixer.xml need to be rewroten, as result of fixing the prefabs own xml´s.

Edited by Royal Deluxe (see edit history)

<snipped for space>

This is why I'm advocating a more formalized bug reporting system. The current system is becoming a little haphazard for daily use.

Will that money be surrounded by water, be tiny and would it have the same image printed on it multiple times?

• Like 1