Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

For those who are waiting to start a new world in RWG: my suggestion is to keep waiting. Lots and lots of the same POI's (bunkers, junkyards etc). Mostly small generated towns across the whole map. Looks like there hasn't changed much according to RWG (except the island).

I think getting rid of the 'sudden radiated edge of the world'-problem by making worlds basically an island is.. Not really a good solution.

I have to agree with this. The chance of spawning coastline is a great addition and rivers are not that bad for a first iteration but to have every map as an island feels a little... I dunno... Morrowind?

I think getting rid of the 'sudden radiated edge of the world'-problem by making worlds basically an island is.. Not really a good solution.

Geeze Spoilers!

=)

- - - Updated - - -

The edge of the map will be something.

Terrain that is cut off and just stops always looks horrible. Water...not so much.

Well I just started playing Subnautica so I guess this fits in.

What's wrong with the edges of the map being water? It might be cliche, but it's gonna be either water, or radiation, or *something*, so... who cares?

If the size of the map gets reduced by ~20-25%, that's rather a big deal. It's not like the water starts where the radiation zone started in the past.

A16 10km Radius circle = 314 Squarekilometer

A17.0 or.1 = arround 7.8 x 7.8 = arround 60 Square kilometers

A17.2 = A circle with arround 3.7 Km radius = arround 43 Squarekilometer

But as i said, if the peformance can be optimized maybe 16x16 will become the new normal

That would be lets say a circle with 7.5 Kilometer radius = 176 Squarekilometer

Terrain that is cut off and just stops always looks horrible. Water...not so much.

Then size matters. The difference between an island and a continent is that the continent has delusions of grandeur. They're both entirely surrounded by water.

Tried a few 4k maps; they were all the SW corner of what would be an island in an 8k map, not their own smaller island, heh.

Took a bit over a minute to gen the 4k maps on my old i5.

---

Validating files took 68 seconds. old SATA SSD. Weirdly it found, " Missing 1 file ... " so it may be important to validate for this patch.

For those who are waiting to start a new world in RWG: my suggestion is to keep waiting. Lots and lots of the same POI's (bunkers, junkyards etc). Mostly small generated towns across the whole map. Looks like there hasn't changed much according to RWG (except the island).

Why the only change was adding back massive water baffles me. You would think POI distribution to make it at least a little more playable would be at the top of the list. Not make it a little less playable. But I guess maybe that was too much of a pain to fix before the complete overhaul of RWG they are working on.

The radiation zone was pretty massive too, and it's not like the water proportion can't be tweaked. That it's water like this now doesn't mean it can't be changed. There's also the fact that water can be part of the content as well, with fishing or things to do. Give it time.

The radiation zone was pretty massive too, and it's not like the water proportion can't be tweaked. That it's water like this now doesn't mean it can't be changed. There's also the fact that water can be part of the content as well, with fishing or things to do. Give it time.

I'm expecting motor boats soon and the island could be Bermuda: Small island with a high pop. Part 2 is getting a big boat made and head to New York City... where its safe... what could possibly go wrong...

I'm expecting motor boats soon and the island could be Bermuda: Small island with a high pop. Part 2 is getting a big boat made and head to New York City... where its safe... what could possibly go wrong...

Some offshore POIs could be pretty cool, like boat wrecks or platforms.

The water doesn't bother me to be honest. What does bother me, is the fact that beside'the island setting' nothing has changed. I mean, what's the point of starting a new game and the first POI's you see are 2 military bunkers next to each other?

Let's just say that this is the first step to a proper working RWG which has still lots of work to do.

Some offshore POIs could be pretty cool, like boat wrecks or platforms.

Don't forget underwater POI's too! :) Maybe air tanks and fins as items. Something late game you need to get off the island as Bermuda is 1000 miles from the US I would guess. Gyrocopter will not make it.

So what was wrong with Radiation? The issue people had was not the radiation but that you removed any visual cues and people could just walk right into it.

I've given this thing several Experimentals now and I feel I have a pretty good handle on how this is all shaking out. I TRIED to give this Alpha the benefit of the doubt but there really is nothing going on here to give me faith that any of this will equal anything better than 16 was.

I'm going to talk as a modder now. Because either the answer around here is mod it, or the byline is how modder friendly this Alpha is. That isnt true. It is NOT as modder friendly as you think. You have taken so many things away from us that its becoming a battle and struggle to remain creative while working around these limitations.

I go to Discords, and other avenues of discussion and all I read is people TRYING to overcome your limitations. They arent creating. They are brainstorming. Brainstorming how to overcome the limitations that you put in their way, from RWG to the UI. Sure people are putting out some great Unity mods, and dll mods from the same group of people that know how to do dll modding in the first place.

Im talking about real honest to God benefits to modders. Where are they? Your cvars that break servers and require hacks to fix? Your buffs? Your EXTREMELY limited progression system?

The radiation zone/biome was used by several modders as an area of difficulty. Starvation, Darkness Falls etc ALL used them, myself included. Chalk that up as ANOTHER thing you guys yanked instead of expanding upon. What would you like ius to create now? Boats? So we can go around the edges of the map and explore...nothing? You may as well remove the radiation protection from hazmats if you have not already. Another system you added and then dropped to fit into a tidy box and remove MORE originality from a once great game. Another avenue that modders use to create something interesting gone. Just another day at the office right?

Sorry if I sound bitter. I AM. I cherished and adored this game. I swore allegiance to the Pimps. And in the end all Im feeling like is an afterthought as a customer, a fan, a player and a modder. Maybe that means its time to move on? I dont want to but its getting difficult to remain enthusiastic.

If you truly meant that modding was going to be more open to the public to mean "learn C# or you will be left behind" maybe you should have been more specific. I'm down with that. But when you have to hack into your dlls to do simple things like add back in quality and degradation, or even allow skill points to scale to level, you're sending a VERY different message to your players.

And what of RWG? HOPEFULLY it gets better. It just got WORSE. WAY less hubs on the map, smaller map even though you increased the size. Water EVERYWHERE. It feels like we are in year 2 of EA again. You are supposed to move forward not backward. And this whole thing feels like its going in a negative direction.

Bring on the hate I dont care. There are things I do like about 17, things i had to add back in myself or tweak to truly enjoy them. Its not the ctual water that is triggering. Its this new motto of "yank it out" that's getting all too familiar here.

Jack, I heard a rumor that the people that made Starvation are pulling the plug, is this true? Do you know the reason for stopping if that's true?

Maybe the island thing is better with FPS? I can see edge of island forts might turn out to be a thing, haven't tried yet.

Jack, I heard a rumor that the people that made Starvation are pulling the plug, is this true? Do you know the reason for stopping if that's true?

Maybe the island thing is better with FPS? I can see edge of island forts might turn out to be a thing, haven't tried yet.

Unfortunately I have not heard anything in relation to Starvation. It's my understanding that water can actually CAUSE more FPS issues in certain cases, especially if it becomes glitched. Magoli had these issues in his POI rework. Theres a lot of issue with water.

Tried a few 4k maps; they were all the SW corner of what would be an island in an 8k map, not their own smaller island, heh.

Took a bit over a minute to gen the 4k maps on my old i5.

---

Validating files took 68 seconds. old SATA SSD. Weirdly it found, " Missing 1 file ... " so it may be important to validate for this patch.

I’ve had the same issue last night. The validation itself was quick. The downloads portion of it to get the missing file (7DaysLauncher.exe) was going for over 12 hours for some damn reason. The entire time on the downloads page it was saying “Validating” with the progress bar filling up thousands of times!

So this morning, I’ve uninstalled 7 Days to Die among a bunch of other steam games, unused software, ran the latest version of CCleaner, ran Disk Cleaner (got 12.5GB back due to Windows Update files), and analyzed the disk if it needed defragmentation. I’ve also made sure I had the latest and greatest updates for drivers and software and such. Essentially I’m doing a full blown computer maintenance run, then I’ll reinstall 7 Days to Die and go from there.

Archived