Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I'm in the process of restoring back to A16 with all the players in my group. We're probably gonna stay there till something like A18. There's just too many fundamental changes that are too hard to mod out to make fun or work properly. (Generally a17 is too grindy, and we miss: a16 RWG map size and generation, a16 perk system, a16 schematics, a16 dumb zombies, a16 POIs, a16 building and base defense, etc.)

I figure they're probably going to release at least some of this stuff and fix it at some point, but right now my whole group has abandoned the game so going back to a16 is my only option to keep the group playing.

knowing they are working on RWG what I miss the most is the old skill system, specially leveling by action. I miss some other stuff that are modable however.

EDIT: I'm thinking about it and I guess it felt less grindy (?) because we were constantly getting rewarded something. We would get the manual skill points (usually for perks) on level up but we would also get small improvements through skill use all the time, and by skill use I remember even agility from running long distances.

We had 5 perk levels, 100 action levels and 6 quality levels affecting mining, for an example. All this split between 200 levels.

Now we have 5 perk levels between 300 levels. No action leveling and although quality gives mod slots, we often go days without finding a mod that fits that new slot on that specific tool.

@Faatal, @MM, @Ronald, @Gaz

I have several things to say, I hope the developers can read it, I think more than one would agree, I go on day 15 level 98 I have the Lucky Looter in 4/5 and I still find weapons level 1 or at most 2 , I do not know if this is broken, but it does not matter because I can manufacture level 6 weapons, then lose total thanks to looting, since there is not much to buy in the merchants, I have the 4x4 also, game is in 2 hours per day , and kill 1741 zombies for this, I would like that this could be fixed, since it does not make sense to play it if you have it all fast, here are some points that could take into account

-Remove the movement of weapons

- That the current weapons could only be found in booties

- That we could make weapons as an example, Pistols guns, shotgun rifle, cacero rifle, rifle actomatico cacero.

- Add more weapons to the game please

-The mods do not add much variety to the weapons, they are the same weapons that from ancient betas, please add the weapons caceras,

-Many traps

-Mas Vehicles

-Ballesta Composite

-Escopeta automatica

-Fishing

-Mother medicinal and edible plants

-Climate changes

-Bandidos (post-graduated from alpha 14) it's time to have them :)

Crafting weapons should require a sample of the weapon desired that would be consumed in the process (similar to how schemtics now work). It would make sense that you were repairing/upgrading an old gun rather than manufacturing one out of scrap metal and duct tape.

It would also make more sense that instead of schemtics (that inexplicably self destruct after one use) you found broken weapon mods that you could then fix if you had sufficient tech skill.. and perhaps re-usable manual/schematic.

Crafting weapons should require a sample of the weapon desired that would be consumed in the process (similar to how schemtics now work). It would make sense that you were repairing/upgrading an old gun rather than manufacturing one out of scrap metal and duct tape.

It would also make more sense that instead of schemtics (that inexplicably self destruct after one use) you found broken weapon mods that you could then fix if you had sufficient tech skill.

Like this approach +1

heh, on the attachments bit; I've only found one Trader, he's only had an attachment a few times. Only managed to loot a handful.

Now making Tier 5 across the board (Steel). Machete has dye & burning bush. Axe has dye & woodsplitter. Pick, dye & iron crusher & a handle thingy. Shovel dye & gravedigger. MR10 has 2x scope, bipod & stock. Shotgun has dye & stock. Armor? couple blankets, couple single pockets & the boot gel'in insert:less-fall-damage. Oh and one advanced attachments(fittings).

If I wasn't selling gear for coin and only upgraded to have enough slots, well I don't think I'd have needed to 'upgrade' anything... The Int for Steel means T5 and none of my tools are full. Can't recall what Tier leather armor unlocks at, but wouldn't have needed anything past that.

Would be really nice if a few of the attachments, like the better handle one, were a "learn" instead of a single use schematic.

Jigglypuff - I giggled. I might just steal that from you for my A17 dual installation once RWG is fixed up. :-)

Well if you don't, I will. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Like this approach +1

Same - it makes more sense to me than just using repair kits.

(That's weird - I swear this was two posts, not an edited post.)

how about "you ok mate?"

Ya, nothing I cant handle - blood clot in the spleen and double pneumonia ... I have been going through lost of test over the past 6 months - its just life. Thanks for asking. Oh, on the game side - I cannot find a magnum pistol and I am on day 22...?

Welcome back and hope you're doing okay wiggleslap (and didn't do too much of that while in hospital :D )

---

Would anyone else like to see a few tweaks so that you could choose a 'harder' start in either the Desert or Snow biomes?

It's mainly the temps & how difficult it is to overcome the extremes. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground.

Desert middle ground could be where you could craft a shade cover (open sided tent/leanto) to sit out a couple hours at high noon/100+. Increased water consumption, sure, and as you can afford it add in ability to soak your hat &/or shirt for further cooling to allow working through mid-day (like the 'you are wet' buff used to do, but from clean or murky water cans/jars).

Add Adobe blocks back in for early base desert building.

Maybe Ice blocks for Snow biome?

And Plant Fibers & Feathers for early crude cold weather clothing?

For Cold would really need to extend the length of time the 'you feel warmed by the fire' buff would stick, so you could get anything done.

(not sure how that'd work. is it possible for buffs to have an If-Then? If Core Temp <70deg apply for 2 hours...)

To be honest I haven't tried very hard to make a start in either biome. Really didn't seem very doable. Maybe I'm just too impatient but basically only being able to work at night in the desert, for weeks until you find a bunch of fairly rare clothing & can buy several lvls of the temp Perk, just isn't 'fun' for me.

Idle thoughts I guess. Comes from looking over at a nice big chunk of Desert and wishing I could build/live there. Even w leather duster, tank top, shorts, cowboy boots&hat it seems like I'd need to max out the temp Perk to not get heat stroke.

And while I know about the "cooling inserts" for armor... gah. Not only haven't I found any, but the whole bit that somehow body armor winds up being a plus to cooling is just a wee touch to far for me (and the leather duster)<sigh>

Sry, guess I shouldn't post while hungry eh? :)

8 hours ago, TFP updated /testing_trunk/ for the first time in the last two weeks with a big jump in buildID number :smile-new:

So looks like they copied a build with big changes from /testing_branch/ to the more stable /testing_trunk/. Possibly they need a few more builds and internal testing to go to public experimental but hey, looks like we are not very far!

They work on 17.2

No info until now, looks like they work on the rwg. If so then its unforseeable how much time they need

The usual it is done, when it's done. But I do expect RWG to be better in many sense now.

- - - Updated - - -

8 hours ago, TFP updated /testing_trunk/ for the first time in the last two weeks with a big jump in buildID number :smile-new:

So looks like they copied a build with big changes from /testing_branch/ to the more stable /testing_trunk/. Possibly they need a few more builds and internal testing to go to public experimental but hey, looks like we are not very far!

exactly when are we "very far" anyways ?

Please, please, please bring back Jail doors. They were just so dang useful for collapsible defence (close door, empty mag at the nice drooling folk on your ass, fall back, rinse, repeat.

and for the wish-list: Is there any chance of Iron Bars that have two sides? Perhaps call it "Iron Bars, Full corner". This is for the corners, if you were to say, build a 2x2x2 caged walkway around a square structure to fend off flapping birds or leaping OP spiders on steroids. Currently, you have to leave a gap at the ends as the bars take up a complete block. Thank you.

+1 for the guns post earlier. Really like that we can make them now but also think you should have a crappy one as part of the ingredients list. It just doesn't feel right at the moment scrapping say, an orange rifle for 3 mech parts and then making a quality 6 rifle from a ton of steel bars etc. I think it wouldn't be a complex change (apologies for my ignorance) but would make it a tad less fanciful. Advanced weapons even more so. It currently just feels...wrong.

Please and thank you TFP. Am still having fun.

Place the bars of your cage outside towards inside = no gaps

(make outside on the Plateau layer a Plate covering, and then place the bars on the plates. Good to see on this pic but bars instead of the suggested plates)

61F1F00174D3650ACCB71416B78B9EEDC2CF4024

jailsdoors are buggy with pathfinding, i guess they come back later

Many thanks Royal Deluxe,

I may have to do a wee bitty re-thinking then. My "TOWER OF TERROR" is currently only getting to the "Turret of Trembling" stage. Sigh... If I build out another layer so they are all inside facing, then the structural integrity goes bye, bye. I had done it the other way so as to keep only 2 blocks out from half way up the side of the structure, all the way around and 2 blocks up/down with all the bars facing out. I will retreat to the lair and stroke the cat some, mwha wa, coughs, wahh, etc, etc

P.S. Very nice build BTW

Ya, nothing I cant handle - blood clot in the spleen and double pneumonia ... I have been going through lost of test over the past 6 months - its just life. Thanks for asking. Oh, on the game side - I cannot find a magnum pistol and I am on day 22...?

You can't find a magnum? Have you gone raiding buildings and done those dungeon crawls all the way to the end? They have a stash of loot with lots of guns (random).

Have you tried adding points to the perk (lucky looter)?

Also there are these goggles that can help increase the chances of fining loot that can help you find more guns.

How often do you get supply drops? Sometimes I get one from that but it's rare.

I like maxing out the loot setting because with all these sleepers it's no fun clearing a house with nothing to take. This also makes up for the zombies (rarely) dropping loot after death now.

Have you gone to Shotgun messiahs?

OFC the traders may sell a few, for a price.

Hope you feel better.

<snip> My "TOWER OF TERROR" is currently only getting to the "Turret of Trembling" <snip>

hehehe :D that's -funny!-

+1 for an Iron/Wood Bars block w two faces. Though the old 45 degreee Iron Bars were pretty fugly, they did work to close off a corner.

Way a lot of folks (me included) close off the corners is to have the odd side bars facing in. Looks like they're hanging in air but they attach to the invisible side of the outward facing other half of the corner.

Not sure of the SI of a double+ overhang w the new for A17 Wood Bars; I've been upgrading the 'walking on' bars to Iron Bars for their greatly increased SI strength.

Blunderbuss: The forgotten firearm

With all the firearms that are readily available in the game it is easy to overlook the Blunderbuss, being the only firearm that can't be found but must be hand crafted by the player.

Due to the low firing rate, limited range, noise, quality limited to the players skill level and the availability of other firearms with ammo. It's no wonder why most players would overlook the blunderbuss. Some may not even know it exist.

But it does have a few things going for it. It was once dubbed the most powerful shotgun in the game and rightly so. It's firepower seems capable of stopping zombies with just once shot. It also has cheaper ammo when compared to other firearms. Finally it's the only firearm that doesn't use lead.

While other firearms may seem better, it may be worth looking into the blunderbuss as an early weapon.

Archived