Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Again, people are missing the point. Starvation isn't on 17 so forget that please. I want spoilage in so it can be IN. I don't care if people mod it out. Go ahead. But coding spoilage is a helluva lot of work and only experienced programmers can do it. By that point f my mod Im making a god damned game to sell.

It's WAY easier to mod that OUT if it exists than it is to introduce it. Also if food spoiled that quickly in Starvation then it sounds to me like it needed to be balanced and was added with little thought to how it would work. There's ways to make it work without being frustrating.

I'm getting SO tired of people saying to go play Ark, or something else.

You know what? You casual types who don't like diggers, block wrecking zeds or want to build concrete fortresses, why don't YOU go play Minecraft or Craft the World and leave 7 Days to people who actually wish to game. See rudeness can go both ways.

Casuals WRECKED challenge in 17.1. NOT the Pimps. So if they wish to introduce some challenge to their game, let them. This outcry of "but meh buildz" has to stop, its ruining a great game.

I find myself in the curious position of both agreeing and disagreeing with Jax here.

I disagree about the "fun factor" in food spoilage, but I absolutely agree with him on TFP putting it into the game, on the reasonable assumption that it'll be easy for me to mod it out (I've no doubt someone would make a mod within hours also), then for him to mod it in.

So, I've changed my previous position on food spoilage. I hope TFP does put it in, so that those that want it, can have it, and then I'll just zero out the spoilage timers on my own games.

• Like 1
I disagree about the "fun factor" in food spoilage, but I absolutely agree with him on TFP putting it into the game, on the reasonable assumption that it'll be easy for me to mod it out (I've no doubt someone would make a mod within hours also), then for him to mod it in.

I really think that the food spoilage mechanic is added value to the game. We DO need ways/mechanics/tools (Drying rack, Curing salts, plastic wraps, fridge, etc.) to deal with it efficiently for it to work and not be another nuisance that you just need to "deal" with.

At the same time, this is the type of mechanic that I would definitely add to Nightmare or even higher difficulties instead of making zombies bullet sponges.

Seriously? Did a rocking geologist just sexualize in ground home dwelling Hobbitses?

Oh, wait, you probably live above ground in a wood framed home.

Elitist ex-hobbitses geologist.

Nah i live under a rock, obviously ^^

Food spoilage was actually one of the big reasons I quit playing Ark. As much as I’m in the camp that wants and likes more difficulty/more realism, the food spoilage seemed, to me at least, to have stepped over that proverbial line of ‘playing a challenging game’ to ‘no longer a fun game’. Of course, it’s my line and might not be anyone else’s line so a slider or on/off button would be agreeable. I’m not against it but personally don’t want it in ’my’ game.

Food spoilage was actually one of the big reasons I quit playing Ark. As much as I’m in the camp that wants and likes more difficulty/more realism, the food spoilage seemed, to me at least, to have stepped over that proverbial line of ‘playing a challenging game’ to ‘no longer a fun game’. Of course, it’s my line and might not be anyone else’s line so a slider or on/off button would be agreeable. I’m not against it but personally don’t want it in ’my’ game.

How about instead of food spoilage, they just remove the ability to eat raw food. You have to cook & jar your veggies, you have to smoke or dry your meats, etc.

I think this would add some more depth to the game yet not be a crude as just having all your meat you spent time gathering spoil.

At this point I hope they add it just to really watch you meltdown.

Not going to lie, at this point i think he WANTS it in, but he using reverse psychology.

- - - Updated - - -

hmm you forgot a ♥

truth has 5 letters

A bit shocking someone with who likes to build steel castles would agree with this ridiculous ♥♥♥♥.

Maybe you shouldn't have trashed that donation flyer for the Cargo Pilots Association, hmm?

<snip>

It was the first airdrop, the flyer should have been in the box. :-)

IT PUTS THE CASH IN THE BOX OR IT GETS ONLY ROCKS*

*Offer not valid for DaVegaNL

I honestly can't see how you can have a SURVIVAL game that doesn't have food spoilage.

Let's face it, you don't have to go nuts and make food spoil after a few minutes but you can at least say that after two weeks your meat is starting to look like it needs to be in a curry but once again we have all the angst filled drivel about ruining the game which will mean it gets buried.

One thing I've noticed is the item comparison feature displays differences opposite of how I'm expecting.

There has already been a minor flame war about this, with some people in agreement with you, and others in agreement with the way things work now.

Personally, I agree with you, the display is exactly the opposite of what I'd expect. My hunch is that most other players feel the same (but of course I would hunch that, wouldn't I).

Also if food spoiled that quickly in Starvation then it sounds to me like it needed to be balanced and was added with little thought to how it would work. There's ways to make it work without being frustrating.

IF Im remembering right. It wasnt spoilage in the sense that is being discussed like in ARK.

The spoilage was more a random chance that your food would go bad on opening of the container, in which the % chance went down the better the storage container. There wasnt any timers on it. It was "good enough".

Anyway. I agree. Put all the features in and let us remove or disable the ones we dont want.

• Like 1
Vending machines for starters, who would use a down and out vending machine in an apocalypse. ???? Wouldn't we just smash it open !

There is already a mechanic in A17 such that certain containers spawn as permanently empty. I think it would be cool to add this mechanic to vending machines as well.

There is already a mechanic in A17 such that certain containers spawn as permanently empty. I think it would be cool to add this mechanic to vending machines as well.

Sadly i cant mod it the way i would want it. If so i would

Vending machines at traders stay as they are

Vending machines that are placed at streets (Strip bar, These small red bar, and others ?) 50% chance that its broken, 50% chance that its refilled all 14 days

Vending machines in Pois = 70% Broken and empty, 20% lootable as crate, 10% working and filled but never restocked

Sadly this would need overworked pois and thats not possible with a XML edit only mod that pushes 100% from server to the clients

They could also, like most heated discussions, resolve this by tossing in an "infection chance slider" to the game setup. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Can't complain when the resolution to game balance is a slider away, right? Though, to be fair, that might not be a bad idea. Some people don't like managing infections, others want the "full zombie experience" and want that ever lasting fear to be there. No touchies!

Lol...had a g4k moment there I see....

If you add food spoilage, won't that make it so you can't stack harvested items?

There is a way around this: at certain intervals a percentage of the stack changes to the spoiled version and is added to your pack. But at that point what if your backpack is full? It would probably be no fun if a random, useless item was suddenly encumbering you.

That isn't the only reason TFP chose not to do it, but I believe this was the main one.

I kinda liked the concept of food spoilage in Starvation mod, but tis way to easy to bypass. For example, just storing any perishable food in a campfire bypasses all spoilage checks.

There is a lot of quirks and thoughts needed for spoilage to be done logically. From a gaming perspective, really need to ask if the effort is worth it. Would the majority of players find spoilage fun? While I thought it was fun in concept, in Starvation it turned into more of annoyance to deal with then a fun challenge.

Also if food spoiled that quickly in Starvation then it sounds to me like it needed to be balanced and was added with little thought to how it would work.

There were a whole lot of balance issues in Starvation, and food spoilage was the least of them...

This was the mod where you were basically one-hit-killed by ridiculous Unity-bought animal assets at every opportunity.

That part of the game seriously reminded me of one of those Jim Sterling videos where he plays asset flips. It also forces you into a strategy where you hardly ever leave your base, because wandering outside is certain death.

There are a lot of other good things about the mod though, like other survivors, crop plagues, different workbenches, etc.

Could we get any hint from a dev/mod when 17.2 is expected to drop? Somewhere this week? Next one?

Cheers :)

HINT:

I__ D____ W____ I__ D____

No chatter that I've seen about an impending release.

Sadly i cant mod it the way i would want it. If so i would

Vending machines at traders stay as they are

Vending machines that are placed at streets (Strip bar, These small red bar, and others ?) 50% chance that its broken, 50% chance that its refilled all 14 days

Vending machines in Pois = 70% Broken and empty, 20% lootable as crate, 10% working and filled but never restocked

Sadly this would need overworked pois and thats not possible with a XML edit only mod that pushes 100% from server to the clients

I definitely agree with all of this, and also, sadly, that it can't be done in A17.

TFP: Any chance you could consider this a future feature? A18 maybe?