Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Wanting the HUD free of clutter is one thing (I don't agree with this, but I understand it), but it surely does not increase immersion!

It increases immersion for me because I do not not have such indicators hovering in front of my face in real life so removing them from being in front of my face in the game makes it come a bit closer to feeling like real life and the fewer indicators on the screen the more the immersive feeling when viewing the world.

But that's just me. If seeing status bars and digital clocks and hotbar inventory slots and upgrade and downgrade arrows and stealth eyeballs don't act as constant reminders that you are playing a video game then good for you. I'm not saying I ever forget I'm playing a video game but the the experience feels more lifelike when those displays are invisible. For me.

But that's just me. If seeing status bars and digital clocks and hotbar inventory slots and upgrade and downgrade arrows and stealth eyeballs don't act as constant reminders that you are playing a video game then good for you. I'm not saying I ever forget I'm playing a video game but the the experience feels more lifelike when those displays are invisible. For me.

If I don't see the hunger/thirst bars on screen then I don't know whether I'm hungry or thirsty ingame. As a result I feel compelled to repeatedly open the character page to find out.

So not having these bars on the main hud is less immersive.

But that's just me.

There is no logical explanation for why it is this or that way. It just is.

totally agree. hitting B all the time to see if i have to stuff more food into my face is more immersion breaking than an indicator on the screen. because when the character moans you have to look at it to figure out if its heat/cold , hunger, or thirst .

If I don't see the hunger/thirst bars on screen then I don't know whether I'm hungry or thirsty ingame. As a result I feel compelled to repeatedly open the character page to find out.

But that's just me.

I agree as well.

Oh ♥♥♥♥, i will soon die of thirst is also something that doesn't happen in real life. I know when i'm thirsty. I would definitely put hunger, thirst and feels-like temp to hud.

I would rather lose clock (until you find one, and maybe even compass) and day count.

But that's just me.

You could have them on the HUD but keep them super simplified.

What if you just had a small icon for food and water. When they are green you are full or nearly full. Orange means you are hungry (below 50%) and red means you are starving (below 25%). The hue could change subtly as gain / lose hunger or hydration. Surely we don't need anything more than that?

A percentage bar isn't even necessary for the player and it will definitely add more to the survival aspect as the player will be worrying less about numbers.

You could even do the same with the characters health.

I agree as well.

Oh ♥♥♥♥, i will soon die of thirst is also something that happens real life. I know when i'm thirsty. I would definitely put hunger, thirst and feels like temp to hud.

I would rather lose clock (until you find one, and maybe even compass) and day count.

Surprisingly, to me at least, not using a sleeping bag or the mini-map is really scary sometimes! I have gotten lost with my fort over the next hill! I pay attention where I am now and keep looking back to see how the land looks.

I think Roland does something like that too if memory serves. That is survival, no GPS or satellite mapping to fix a blunder you make. You fix it... or you die. Love it!

I agree as well.

Oh ♥♥♥♥, i will soon die of thirst is also something that doesn't happen in real life. I know when i'm thirsty. I would definitely put hunger, thirst and feels-like temp to hud.

Great suggestion there.

So about this HUD and these hunger bars, I was the one recently to bring this up only to be shouted down that 'That's what the devs want and so that's the way it is.'

Or the slightly more ridiculous remark that avoids actually having a discussion under the guise of advice, yet nothing more than a 'You want it this way, no, but I want you to do it this other way, yes,' which is - mod it.

I'm very happy to see that Gazz has stood up and made the very legitimate point that having to open a bag to see if you're hungry or thirsty is immersion breaking.

I would also like to challenge Roland again while I'm here. Though I do concede Rolands point that having to eat and drink whenever increases the immersion for him, simply because, in real life you don't need to check books to know if you're hungry, Roland my old mate, my old pal, you're missing one serious point.

The human body has indications when food or water is low, the brain, stomach and the kidneys for example as well as many other processes involved in feedback regulate our systems so that we are made aware of being hungry or thirsty, full and hydrated, and this game is not real life.

Just as we don't need to be told we are hungry, the character shouldnt, and in real life this hunger and thirst is manifested in the awareness, so in game it should be in the HUD. You wouldn't need to open your diary or check a mobile app or look at your bio page to know when you're hungry, and that complements Gazz's point.

How you get this in the HUD is a different story.

I would suggest instead of lengthy linear bars, have four little icons with circular bars around them that deplete over time. Extremely minimalist, very convenient, and a nice reimplementation of what I personally think was a great Pimp addition to 7D.

Adding thirst/hunger bars I think will make eating a bit like a mechanical process - "its 40%, lets eat a meat stew cuz it fills me with 60% and thats most efficient" (just wierd example) .

If we add these to hud, maybe something like a bad effect have to appear if you eat too much often for example. This will prevent too exessive eating if someone wants to gain HP or wellness. Just like being drunk but with food.

So about this HUD and these hunger bars, I was the one recently to bring this up only to be shouted down that 'That's what the devs want and so that's the way it is.'

Or the slightly more ridiculous remark that avoids actually having a discussion under the guise of advice, yet nothing more than a 'You want it this way, no, but I want you to do it this other way, yes,' which is - mod it.

I'm very happy to see that Gazz has stood up and made the very legitimate point that having to open a bag to see if you're hungry or thirsty is immersion breaking.

I would also like to challenge Roland again while I'm here. Though I do concede Rolands point that having to eat and drink whenever increases the immersion for him, simply because, in real life you don't need to check books to know if you're hungry, Roland my old mate, my old pal, you're missing one serious point.

The human body has indications when food or water is low, the brain, stomach and the kidneys for example as well as many other processes involved in feedback regulate our systems so that we are made aware of being hungry or thirsty, full and hydrated, and this game is not real life.

Just as we don't need to be told we are hungry, the character shouldnt, and in real life this hunger and thirst is manifested in the awareness, so in game it should be in the HUD. You wouldn't need to open your diary or check a mobile app or look at your bio page to know when you're hungry, and that complements Gazz's point.

How you get this in the HUD is a different story.

I would suggest instead of lengthy linear bars, have four little icons with circular bars around them that deplete over time. Extremely minimalist, very convenient, and a nice reimplementation of what I personally think was a great Pimp addition to 7D.

you so miss the point every time you post....

The hud has been brought up heaps of times lol your nothing above anything. However the others have made actual discussions without ridiculous claims or ridiculous rants.

MM has stated several times the food and water isnt coming back and if you want it the mod section has a heap of them.

you stated "Or the slightly more ridiculous remark that avoids actually having a discussion under the guise of advice, yet nothing more than a 'You want it this way, no, but I want you to do it this other way, yes,' which is - mod it."

lol get it thru your head MM isnt putting the food and water back. so if you want the H.U.D with food and water you WILL have to get one from the mod section all done for you and easy to install for even the not so bright.

Nothing wrong with someone saying to you if you dont like something mod it. It is in most games that are released these days the ability to mod something so that you get what you want in a game. (Which is why a game developer puts the ability to mod the game into the game) Whereas the devs make a game the WHOLE community as a default can play. but ,mostly how the DEV team wants the game to be.

your game style is going to differ from the next person and that persons game style is gonna differ again.

So suck it up dive into the modding section grab the H.U.D you like (there are heaps out there) and quit complaining about a thing that isnt gonna make it back lol... Your posts are like a broken record.........

Man how cool would it be if you had to manually record days gone by? You could scratch them into the walls haha!

Would be terrifying if you lost your record it couldn't remember...

The zombies or bandits smash the wall you were keeping track of days with...then you are lost!

But that's just me.

My preference is to have the things on screen that I would readily know in a moment of thought about myself. Everything else can be hidden by the need for deeper self inspection (other windows on screen). I don't mind having more information available, though. But as I said earlier I think options are the key to this so that people can add or remove the elements and get only the info they want.

you so miss the point every time you post....

The hud has been brought up heaps of times lol your nothing above anything. However the others have made actual discussions without ridiculous claims or ridiculous rants.

MM has stated several times the food and water isnt coming back and if you want it the mod section has a heap of them.

you stated "Or the slightly more ridiculous remark that avoids actually having a discussion under the guise of advice, yet nothing more than a 'You want it this way, no, but I want you to do it this other way, yes,' which is - mod it."

lol get it thru your head MM isnt putting the food and water back. so if you want the H.U.D with food and water you WILL have to get one from the mod section all done for you and easy to install for even the not so bright.

Nothing wrong with someone saying to you if you dont like something mod it. It is in most games that are released these days the ability to mod something so that you get what you want in a game. (Which is why a game developer puts the ability to mod the game into the game) Whereas the devs make a game the WHOLE community as a default can play. but ,mostly how the DEV team wants the game to be.

your game style is going to differ from the next person and that persons game style is gonna differ again.

So suck it up dive into the modding section grab the H.U.D you like (there are heaps out there) and quit complaining about a thing that isnt gonna make it back lol... Your posts are like a broken record.........

Seems like having a go at ZombieToads posts are a staple for people like you.

Reread my post thanks. And just incase youre incapable of understanding it, or in the event that you insist on trolling, I am not demanding anything be put back in. It would be nice, yeah sure, but my post was a compliment to what Gazz said, and a little reflection on Rolands point, as well as a suggestion towards how it could be implemented, if the Pimps ever change their mind.

I also love it how you keep appealing to what MadMole said as if he is a god whose words are forever unchanging and unchangeable, he isn't, and they aren't necessarily. MadMole is a developer, and he is human, and he, like everyone else, is able and quite capable of changing his mind - though whether he does or not is besides the point.

Just to clarify, my 'it should' remark was a line of reason in support of Gazz's point, and in challenging Rolands point on the immersion breaking thing, not any demand to reimplement anything.

Just saying, shouldn't need to but I am because of the severe myopia on this forum.

Man how cool would it be if you had to manually record days gone by? You could scratch them into the walls haha!

Would be terrifying if you lost your record it couldn't remember...

Imagine if you had to record your characters stats on a piece of paper and had to generate the random variables of combat using assorted polyhedral shapes with numbers imprinted on them...

The upside is that AD&D is far easier to mod :-)

Adding thirst/hunger bars I think will make eating a bit like a mechanical process - "its 40%, lets eat a meat stew cuz it fills me with 60% and thats most efficient" (just wierd example) .

If we add these to hud, maybe something like a bad effect have to appear if you eat too much often for example. This will prevent too exessive eating if someone wants to gain HP or wellness. Just like being drunk but with food.

People that want to min/max things like this will do it whether that info is on screen full time or buried on another screen. So I don't think that should weigh heavily in this discussion.

I'm one of those people that carry food and drink on me at all times in game (even back when smells worked). I think of it like I would going hiking in the real world... be prepared because you don't know what can happen to delay you. And in the same way, if I know I'm going to be away from food or water for a long period of time I will drink and eat before I go (if not to capacity then at least to high comfort levels).

But I still know how hungry or thirsty I am at any given moment and I've been around long enough to know that I can go a hell of a lot longer without food than I can water. On a side note, 7DTD should accelerate water usage and make it deplete at least twice as fast as food before perks. Having them both go down at the same rate doesn't make much sense.

Well.. To be honest you can still check whether you are filled for 40% (for example). It's just hidden away in a sub-menu which you have to open everytime when you want to check it.

So yes, I'm of the opinion that hunger/thirst meters should be added to the HUD if an XP-bar is going to be added to it. That, or neither.

To me the biggest question is: Why can't the vanilla game have option to switch hunger thirst, temp on/off? As little as i understand, it should be relatively easy to code. Instead, i need a mod and therefore i'm ineligible for bug reports.

This incredibly basic hud customization should be part of any quality modern game.

Seems like having a go at ZombieToads posts are a staple for people like you.

Reread my post thanks. And just incase youre incapable of understanding it, or in the event that you insist on trolling, I am not demanding anything be put back in. It would be nice, yeah sure, but my post was a compliment to what Gazz said, and a little reflection on Rolands point, as well as a suggestion towards how it could be implemented, if the Pimps ever change their mind.

I also love it how you keep appealing to what MadMole said as if he is a god whose words are forever unchanging and unchangeable, he isn't, and they aren't necessarily. MadMole is a developer, and he is human, and he, like everyone else, is able and quite capable of changing his mind - though whether he does or not is besides the point.

Just to clarify, my 'it should' remark was a line of reason in support of Gazz's point, and in challenging Rolands point on the immersion breaking thing, not any demand to reimplement anything.

Just saying, shouldn't need to but I am because of the severe myopia on this forum.

oh i read your post carefully because i knew you would reply the way you did.

your posts are what not spose to have people reply.. I will look for that rule.... i must a missed it

Lol your the one against modding because your incapable of it... so dont go calling someone else incapable. I totally understand people wanting food and water in the game. I dont understand your continuous attacks and complaints. your against modding well so be it but get use to how the game is going set by TFP . i love modding and if TFP dont put something in or there is something i dont like I LOVE to mod it..

Lol I was merely repeating what MM has stated several times... and umm yeh yeh he is the boss he wants something it happens he dont want something... well that happens to lol. BUt yes he has on occassions changed but that is because what he tried didnt work. The H.U.D works and to his and many others liking. OFC there are those that dont but you know what they do..... your gonna love this.... they go to the modding section and grab a H.U.D mod they like and use it OR they mod it themselves in....

Gazz was merely saying how his game play is and how he prefers it. Even Gazz stated it is the way it is in plain english.... if you have trouble understanding.... there are many translating services that may assist..... Unfortunately you wont get a just mod it here.

maybe if you inputed useful stuff and added to discussions it be easier.. Or maybe it is hust your continuous attacks on those whom mod or those whom suggest to help you out with their answer of "Mod it" is not an attack it is just them saying you wont get everything in the game your way. however the niceness of TFP have allowed for their game to be moddable so that people can play the game how they like to...

or maybe you are incapable of understanding people whom try to assist you and offer help. You dont want to mod it that is fine but dont knock people whom offer their assistance just say thank you but i prefer a default game. simple niceness gets people far further then replying with abuse...

On a side note, 7DTD should accelerate water usage and make it deplete at least twice as fast as food before perks. Having them both go down at the same rate doesn't make much sense.

how would drinking water after increasing a perk be any different to not having a perk and oh i am thirsty i need to drink so you drink til your thirst is quenched.

Or are you saying the perk is like better quality water like at level 2 the water is murky and possibly not good yet at level 50 the water is top quality.

or

at level 2 you drink and it fills a small amount of your thirst. at level 50 you take take a drink and it fuills completely. (this way dont make sense)

Fight! Fight!

...anyway, xp is a dumb concept and only serves to allow people to meta-game, so it should go and never come back; perks, points, blah blah should all be trashed as well. You should organically get better at doing things because you do those things often, not because you bought the ability to make concrete after digging a hole for several hours (especially considering that there are no underground threats). Since it's game and you HAVE to have numbers, those numbers should be forever hidden from the player.

Oh, it's day 7, so I know to expect a horde. Oh, it's 10pm, here they come. Oh, I only have to chop down two more trees so I can buy Gunsmithing. Oh, this chest plate is purple, so I know it's better than the green one. Oh, look at me, I'm playing the numbers rather than playing the game...

Anyway, hunger is entirely different. Until there's a usb port to my stomach we should have indicators that our character is hungry.

Fight! Fight!

...anyway, xp is a dumb concept and only serves to allow people to meta-game, so it should go and never come back; perks, points, blah blah should all be trashed as well. You should organically get better at doing things because you do those things often, not because you bought the ability to make concrete after digging a hole for several hours (especially considering that there are no underground threats). Since it's game and you HAVE to have numbers, those numbers should be forever hidden from the player.

Oh, it's day 7, so I know to expect a horde. Oh, it's 10pm, here they come. Oh, I only have to chop down two more trees so I can buy Gunsmithing. Oh, this chest plate is purple, so I know it's better than the green one. Oh, look at me, I'm playing the numbers rather than playing the game...

Anyway, hunger is entirely different. Until there's a usb port to my stomach we should have indicators that our character is hungry.

lol

I like food and water to on my hud. but not everyone does others do. You know if you press f7 lol your hud disappears and you know squat hey :-P haha

Archived