Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The design goal (IMO) is that the perks and the mods in your equipment make you all powerful, not the attributes. If you are a perfect shooter with perception 10, then the ranged damage bonus of perception needs to be lowered.

Maybe the attribute boni need some variation too. For example perception could give the following boni:

Perception Bonus

1 +5% ranged damage

2 +10 loot bonus

3 +5% ranged damage

4 +5% wrench result, +5 loot bonus

That'd be cool. The attributes give like a very very small bonus of something different each lvl, and move, say for perception, the damage into it's own perk. Or make each individual weapon have it's own perk for it's damage instead of damage over all weapons. That way if you do have to go to a attribute you don't specifically need, you get some kind of nice bonus and then can weapon specialize damage too.

For a builder a lack of XP is a very real issue under the current system.

Known issue.

TFP is out for the holiday so nothing is going to happen right now.

The "builder XP" issue is one of scale.

From noob-with-a-stoneaxe to Minecraft-dude-with-diamond-pick there is a x12 factor of block DPS.

Late game the harvesting amount and XP are substantial.

Now my plan is to have XP bonuses on early game tools to somewhat beat down this scale. No balancing of the numbers can overcome an order of magnitude unless I toss out major progression elements.

Only after this scale is brought back into a more reasonable range it makes sense to look at things like material XP values.

Now I'm confused.

You want the "allowance type" reward which in A16 meant being inactive, sitting on your butt and crafting 5000 stone shovels or running a macro to fire an inventory full of crossbow bolts overnight?

I'm not at all against picking up perks or traits while playing the game but the A16 design for it was soul-destroying. That can not happen again.

(besides, Cookie Clicker already has that particular market cornered)

This is possible because the lag of integration of cheks n the code.

if a system was used for spam crafting for level up then lock the player behavier!!

And do not remove working systems!

Found the house with the bunker underneath it, with the access in the waterwell.

Set up shop there a bit to loot the houses in the neighborhood... at night I was placing some torches around the place (hate the strange lighting on those... great light when u hold it, but when u place it, it gives the light of a small candle irl)... anyway, doing that somehow made zombies above attack the base.

It's just ridiculous how 'smart' and good at hearing the zombies now are... you can't do anything without them hearing you I guess... even if you are deep underground surrounded with concrete.

on bedrock level you are relatively safe (not in horde night) to set up your mining operation and forges/crafting stations. just make sure, they are not too close to mine entrance. and you need to secure entrance a bit, like cobblestone wall or something. z never got down to me at nightime mining so far.

Now I'm confused.

You want the "allowance type" reward which in A16 meant being inactive, sitting on your butt and crafting 5000 stone shovels or running a macro to fire an inventory full of crossbow bolts overnight?

I'm not at all against picking up perks or traits while playing the game but the A16 design for it was soul-destroying. That can not happen again.

I'm confused. Didn't a16 kill spam crafting since you got better quality by perks. Not by crafting axes. And the workbench only gave you +100 on combining.

Known issue.

From noob-with-a-stoneaxe to Minecraft-dude-with-diamond-pick there is a x12 factor of block DPS.

Then XP being linked to block damage is the problem. If XP were linked with number of hits (but less for faster and more primitive tools), shouldn't that problem automatically go away?

Naturally it should only give XP if a minimum of block damage happens so you can't level up by hitting air.

I'm confused. Didn't a16 kill spam crafting since you got better quality by perks. Not by crafting axes. And the workbench only gave you +100 on combining.

Gazz probably meant "A15" there

I'm glad that crafting 1000 stone axes to get a better stone axe is no longer a thing. However, I think some areas should still have this style of progression. Specifically, looting and bartering.

This hasn't been a thing for the last year. And therefore isn't a measurement on if a17 system is better than a16.

Spamcrafting was in a15.

I love the idea of magazines one time use, though would like to see it tweaked to be more desirable and sought after. Currently everyone I play with pile them up and leave them unused. I don’t think people know what to do with them or understand why or when to use them currently. They have become the new gun parts.

However, I think some areas should still have this style of progression. Specifically, looting and bartering.
I agree. If I would make one suggestion it would be to pull the Better Barter and The Daring Adventurer perks out of Intelligence (Intellect has WAY too much impact to the game) and make those perks progression based upon quests/selling items to a trader. I would also make it so your "reputation" with each trader was different. The more items you buy/sell and the more advanced quests you do the more your reputation goes up influencing barter/daring adventurer.

Ed

- - - Updated - - -

I love the idea of magazines one time use, though would like to see it tweaked to be more desirable and sought after. Currently everyone I play with pile them up and leave them unused. I don’t think people know what to do with them or understand why or when to use them currently. They have become the new gun parts.
I that they aren't unused once you read them. I saw a few other mod others do something like this: If you find a schematic and use it for a build it is gone. If you find 3 you can combine them to a new item, think a book, and that book teaches you the recipe. Then you would no longer need the schematic. This only delays the inevitable but it at least makes you make a decision early in the game - use or save.

Ed

Now I'm confused.

I would like some sort of progression benefit. I would change all the main attributes (Perception, Strength, Fortitude, Agility, and Intellect) to be progression based (1-100). You would gain experience in them (by the activities below) and IF you wanted you could spend 1 perk point and get 10 points.

Perception - Ranged Hits / Looting

Strength - Melee Hits / Carrying Encumbered

Fortitude - Running / Absorbing Hits

Agility - Sneaking / Swimming (cause swimming is an agility perk)

Intellect - Crafting

I would also separate some of the sub-perks under Intellect out because Intellect is way to powerful. I made a post about moving Barter/Daring Adventurer to a trader reputation progression idea.

Ed

Known issue.

Now my plan is to have XP bonuses on early game tools to somewhat beat down this scale. No balancing of the numbers can overcome an order of magnitude unless I toss out major progression elements.

Only after this scale is brought back into a more reasonable range it makes sense to look at things like material XP values.

Fair enough :-)

I can live with the current system although it's not my preferred solution.

Sorry for asking for perhaps the 100st time but is there any news on putting a Random Map on ur dedicated server?

I still can't host it at Nitrado, Nitrado sends me to the FunPimps

Is it because RWG still is buggy that it cant be hosted? I can host local but not on the server we rented

Sorry for asking for perhaps the 100st time but is there any news on putting a Random Map on ur dedicated server?

I still can't host it at Nitrado, Nitrado sends me to the FunPimps

Is it because RWG still is buggy that it cant be hosted? I can host local but not on the server we rented

I use BlueFang and have been able to do RWG on my server since the 1st A17e... sounds like your hosting company is giving you the run around.

I'm glad that crafting 1000 stone axes to get a better stone axe is no longer a thing. However, I think some areas should still have this style of progression. Specifically, looting and bartering.

I get way better at opening the kitchen cabinets and looking for my mom and dads food each time I open them, just saying..

I get way better at opening the kitchen cabinets and looking for my mom and dads food each time I open them, just saying..

Lol, well, you could. Maybe they have those baby proof things on it, or they like hiding the food behind other items, or even put food in the "wrong" box to keep you out of it O.o

It is the same problem as in fantasy RPGs where you collect potions and never use them. Actually the more desirable a magazine would be, the more you would save it for the perfect occasion :smile-new:

Astonishingly I did use some magazines in my last SP game (even though I tend to hoard potions). Got a minibike out of it without paying for the perk. Also I did actually use a few at horde night. And kept a cardio magazine in case I need to make a corpse run, but now have the bicycle for that.

If they stack I can imagine this a good way for builders to pump themselves up if they need to be good at combat for a short time (i.e. going into a difficult quest dungeon).

Then XP being linked to block damage is the problem.

XP = the amount of resources you gain so many things can affect that.

Astonishingly I did use some magazines in my last SP game (even though I tend to hoard potions). Got a minibike out of it without paying for the perk. Also I did actually use a few at horde night. And kept a cardio magazine in case I need to make a corpse run, but now have the bicycle for that.

I got some mileage out of them.

Crafting seeds to start an early farm, crafting a bicycle and a forge...

Haven't done much POI spelunkin' or I'd probably be using some of the more offensive-minded ones, too.

30 minutes go a long way.

Found the house with the bunker underneath it, with the access in the waterwell.

Set up shop there a bit to loot the houses in the neighborhood... at night I was placing some torches around the place (hate the strange lighting on those... great light when u hold it, but when u place it, it gives the light of a small candle irl)... anyway, doing that somehow made zombies above attack the base.

It's just ridiculous how 'smart' and good at hearing the zombies now are... you can't do anything without them hearing you I guess... even if you are deep underground surrounded with concrete.

It seems like the current AI scripting has them beeline for the source of a sound in the highest aggression possible, without any timeouts or anything. They *will* get to that location. Only then do they lose their laser focus and start bumbling around like mindless undead again.

It would be nice if they ratchet up. The first noise has them wander less-aimlessly towards the noise, but be ok with going off on a tangent and lose interest quickly. Only if they hear continued noise do they aggro up to manic breaking, and it ought to take a few iterations of noise to get that focused.

I've had things go 20+ blocks, up, around and through, over a single small noise. There isn't any of the movie-like "move close, shuffle and snuffle, sense nothing else and shamble away" that makes cowering silently in the dark worth doing. You activate anything now, you HAVE to run far or kill it. No cowering allowed.

It seems like the current AI scripting has them beeline for the source of a sound in the highest aggression possible, without any timeouts or anything. They *will* get to that location. Only then do they lose their laser focus and start bumbling around like mindless undead again.

It would be nice if they ratchet up. The first noise has them wander less-aimlessly towards the noise, but be ok with going off on a tangent and lose interest quickly. Only if they hear continued noise do they aggro up to manic breaking, and it ought to take a few iterations of noise to get that focused.

I've had things go 20+ blocks, up, around and through, over a single small noise. There isn't any of the movie-like "move close, shuffle and snuffle, sense nothing else and shamble away" that makes cowering silently in the dark worth doing. You activate anything now, you HAVE to run far or kill it. No cowering allowed.

Hmmm, once you get enough of the From the Shadows, you can do that. Plenty of times I've hit a sleeper, they come to check, and I've walked just off to the side. They walk past, I shoot them again in the head, dead. Move on to next. Even a few times I've shot one that came to investigate while outside, stealth off, shoot in head, move while they go to where I just was. Even a few times where they would just come close, I'm on the other side of the wall, they then walk off. But as I said, you need From the Shadows. If you don't have any, yeah, it doesn't work as often if at all. At least that's what I've noticed.

Archived