Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

As long as random gen isn't fixed, I won't consider anything they put out "stable".

+1 for this.

Personally, I would rather have to wait until Jan/Feb for a stable version, rather than have a stable version with the current state of RWG.

I mean, what is going to happen when the RWG fixes are included? I'm betting they will mess with existing RWG maps (even in some unforeseen way). Meaning everyone will have to restart their maps between stable builds. That doesn't seem right to me.

I've been avoiding playing RWG because of all the (serious-sounding) bugs, and I guess now I should just play Navezgane until A17.1?

Note: I'm not asking TFP to rush it or take time away from their families, I just think it was premature to call this version stable.

I do think it would have been better to leave it experimental and go on holiday. Everyone understands that developers also have lives and families. They can continue ironing out the known issues in 2019. As it is, people will assume that since it's called "stable" they can start a long-term playthrough, and then the inevitable fixes/tweaks come out that require a fresh game happen, they will go running on the Steam reviews or forums or here to complain about having to restart over a patch on a stable version.

i use Sony WH-1000XM3 headset and pc settings are surround

You're not listening in surround sound then. It is simply impossible to listen in surround sound with only two speakers (in your case, the two speakers in your headset).

Surround sound means sending discrete signals to all the speakers. If they are analog signals, this means separate physical outputs.

You probably have some kind of software that simulates surround sound in headphones, that's very common to include in drivers these days.

If you don’t want to be automatically updated to 17.1 whenever that happens then stay opted in to latest_experimental.

I'm a bit confused by this. If I stay opted into latest_experimental, wouldn't I get the experimental builds of A17.1?

Or am I thinking too much like a software developer, where "latest experimental" is akin to "latest stable build?"

EDIT: And if it isn't that - now that the latest experimental build is also the stable build, should I opt out of latest_experimental right now, if I want to get any publicly-released patches?

If you don’t want to be automatically updated to 17.1 whenever that happens then stay opted in to latest_experimental.

I think you misunderstand, no one is saying they are not going to no upgrade to 17.1 (at least I'm not) they are saying that as long as RWG is broken (and suuning it is getting fixed in 17.X) they are not thinking of it as a stable build because in order to benefit from the RWG fix you have to start a new game.

For us (or at least me (stable mean no fixes,additions,upgrades,etc) will require a new game to benefit from.

+1 for this.

Personally, I would rather have to wait until Jan/Feb for a stable version, rather than have a stable version with the current state of RWG.

I mean, what is going to happen when the RWG fixes are included? I'm betting they will mess with existing RWG maps (even in some unforeseen way). Meaning everyone will have to restart their maps between stable builds. That doesn't seem right to me.

I've been avoiding playing RWG because of all the (serious-sounding) bugs, and I guess now I should just play Navezgane until A17.1?

Note: I'm not asking TFP to rush it or take time away from their families, I just think it was premature to call this version stable.

I think they went "stable" because most of the really bad bugs were squashed. If you look at Alpha 16 it went from experimental to 16.1, 16.2, 16.3 then 16.4. Expect something similar here as they add/correct things. Be happy it's mostly playable. :)

Just don't buy laptop for gaming and buy something with intel 8th gen CPU. You can get for same price twice much game performance with desktop PC.

EDIT: Sorry i find too late you bought it already.

No worries mate. I need a laptop since I tend to travel around quite a lot.

In A16 random world generator wasn't great, but it wasn't as terrible as A17, it was decent, but in A17... the diagonal roads, the highways, repetitive POIs next to each other, floating buildings, elevated buildings, crooked roads, steep roads... everything looks off... way too off, the biomes have random patches of other biomes within biomes, it's so broken... no one would design towns & roads that look like that....

I really hope TFP will fix this mess, because it breaks my heart to see one of my favorite zombie survival games falling apart like this...

more broken RWG:

hbypHXb.jpg

7BkvhXW.jpg

I think they went "stable" because most of the really bad bugs were squashed.

Be happy it's mostly playable. :)

Landclaims? kinda broke several servers. And before anyone says "well just put a password" I pre-emptively counter with "Just put in the Old LCB until you fix this one >.>"

Is it better than it was in b197? Hell yes, night and day difference. Trader Voice is an annoyance but not a big deal. RWG is. LCB is. I won't go into my opinions on the current XP balancing that we can fix with a server side modlet. If you're building a house, and midway thru construction, it catches fire, you don't say its done as soon as you put the fire out, and then you'll fix other stuff after the person moves in. You push back the deadline.

You're not listening in surround sound then. It is simply impossible to listen in surround sound with only two speakers (in your case, the two speakers in your headset).

Surround sound means sending discrete signals to all the speakers. If they are analog signals, this means separate physical outputs.

You probably have some kind of software that simulates surround sound in headphones, that's very common to include in drivers these days.

If you mean headsets don't have surround sound capabilities you are way off. Idk what is in their particular headset, but most gaming headsets have multiple drivers (speakers), such as front-left front-right, center and subwoofer in each ear and use drivers to emulate complete surround sound.

I'm having some fun. My first b240 playthrough I must've been wearing tap shoes or something as every POI I went in I'd wake 2 or 3 sleepers at once.

My current run, doing much better.

Found RWG Trader's a bit lacking for an 8192 map. Took care of that with a little modlet though (upped the from a fixed 5 to 5-10).

I like the way the regular vultures just hound you.

Those sleeper vultures, had one inside a POI.

The greater number of zombies makes avoiding them a bit more interesting.

Instead of ignoring the Master Chef perk, finally gave that a go (seems to be a required one, it makes that major a difference).

The game is definatly getting there. Zombies seem more unpredictable and come at you unexpected like and the vultures as annoyingly as ever in a fun way though.

Loving the indoor sounds too. Creaking doors and foot steps can be heard easier now I have found (that may be just me).

I kind of like the random gen too. It's getting a lot a flak I know but as long as the POI don't float to much or collapse on there own accord I can deal with the random landscape obscurity and bewilderment that may crop up. haha.

If you mean headsets don't have surround sound capabilities you are way off. Idk what is in their particular headset, but most gaming headsets have multiple drivers (speakers), such as front-left front-right, center and subwoofer in each ear and use drivers to emulate complete surround sound.

Interesting, that's news to me. I was only aware of the "virtual surround sound" headsets which use mix amps, DSP, or whatever.

In any case, his model isn't true surround sound, they're noise cancelling headphones. Pretty good ones apparently, but they still have only two speakers. The "surround sound" is virtual.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm3

Landclaims? kinda broke several servers. And before anyone says "well just put a password" I pre-emptively counter with "Just put in the Old LCB until you fix this one >.>"

Putting in the old land-claim block would likely bork the code internally, fail to work at all, and crash the entire server.

Archived