Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Since faatal got vehicle lights working will we see another build before the weekend? Just that addition and adjusting the overly gated anvil would keep us quite content till mid Jan.

Of course some people would be done with it in a few hours.

And my question was buried by the recent chatter...how do you bank the gyro down with a controller?

from what i see so far, you dont, you have to use the "C" key along with the controller. i am checking into it tho.

Roland, our playstyles are very similar (from your earlier post) so I noticed this part about 1st horde night base. I know there were changes to z damage but after first A17exp build I haven't attempted even a full Cobblestone melee base without a huge number of spikes; at least 6 deep.

Would you say that a small (5x5~7x7) melee base, with only 2~3 rows of wooden spikes is possibly viable now?

I know, lots of variables, so I won't come to collect insurance from you :) Just wondering if, in your opinion, that rough setup may be viable?

Depends on what you mean by viable. Guaranteed to see you safely through the blood moon horde? Nope. Having a chance of seeing you through as long as you have plenty of arrows and a bit of luck? Sure.

But I only do that start half the time. The other half I've built myself a nice little wood shack on the roof of a gas station or commercial building. I change it up. I want to try going underground immediately and see if I can make it work. Have a couple of ideas I want to try.

Decided to go for forge for a change on 2233 qand man was that a mistake, game was a lot harder with out skills that really help out early on.

Also, I have max graphics and I'm seeing buildings, large boulders and even zed pop in every once in a while.

I personally go combat skills till I have everything for the forge and dump points into it. That way your able to level up fast but when you need em you can dump points.

Wow. Ok, never tried that Pole setup; one Up & one Down to allow player to walk through but z's can't. Really interesting base design.

Haven't finished vid yet, wanted to say Thanks! for the link 9nines, good stuff, appreciate it :)

For my play-speed, double Cobblestone would be about it for first horde night. Previous bxxx's I'd see concrete maybe in time for day 21 horde, heh.

yep but you can put the poles in different position say chest level or ankle level with barbwire to slow em down and just use more spikes in between.I found a broken POI thats gonna work very nice for a bomb trap lol they can tunnel in but looks like they would just fall in the center pit.

lol, at least that makes sense in it's own way with using them as chest bars, means your shots could hit your own defenses then since they are in the way unlike the top/bottom that was in it. At some point they'll just make better than iron bars that we can shoot through, or at least a modder will, heh.

Depends on what you mean by viable. Guaranteed to see you safely through the blood moon horde? Nope. Having a chance of seeing you through as long as you have plenty of arrows and a bit of luck? Sure.

But I only do that start half the time. The other half I've built myself a nice little wood shack on the roof of a gas station or commercial building. I change it up. I want to try going underground immediately and see if I can make it work. Have a couple of ideas I want to try.

Roland I can confirm you have no chance underground without a few players helping you.The zombies will dig to bedrock over night and will hunt you down lol I tried it with the last update and they was saying hi before the night was halfway over.About only way for it to work is to be a few KM away from your main base in your tunnels as moon starts and before they make it to you,run away and the spawn will miss you.

from what i see so far, you dont, you have to use the "C" key along with the controller. i am checking into it tho.

Thanks.. I'll check to see if the steam controller support can keybind that with the gyro.. I'm not sure how specific that gets. Glad I decided to tinker with it. Can you also see what happened to the run toggle on vehicles? I think MM said that work was done, so maybe someone forgot to fold it into the last build.

Wow. Ok, never tried that Pole setup; one Up & one Down to allow player to walk through but z's can't. Really interesting base design.

Haven't finished vid yet, wanted to say Thanks! for the link 9nines, good stuff, appreciate it :)

For my play-speed, double Cobblestone would be about it for first horde night. Previous bxxx's I'd see concrete maybe in time for day 21 horde, heh.

alot of the bunker POIs and few of the houses have cement mixers in em if you wanna try searching till you find one to ease into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Want a real challenge, only use wood.... lol, that'd be interesting. Or only make traps in a dungeon POI... lol, make fall back points, the works. now that'd be something fun to watch.

tried a wood base on my first horde night....didnt last more than a couple mins till the cops showed up lol

And how about a "fried eggs" recipe that requires a cooking pot and 2 eggs but no water, that gives roughly the same benefit as a boiled egg?

How the hell you fry eggs with water, and withoug cooking pot ? :)

Bud, what you see around recently is balance issues. I don`t even dare to call them issues because these are gonna be solved.

Btw, @Roland, you can make a complainment discussion thread where people just vent off. Just saying. Till stable, you know :)

Not sure as of b233. Prior there was one in each biome, so 4. There have been changes, maybe?, to Nav map; the large gas staion in the East is now a dungeon; but that may just be a result of the POI getting attention and not the Nav map as a whole, no idea.

in Navezgane there is and has been 5.

1. trader joel - pine forest

2. trader rekt - burnt biome

3. trader jenn - waste land

4. trader hugh - snow biome

5. trader bob - desert

Ah, ok. thanks for the additional info :)

Guess the main thing I've been missing in the A17s so far is being able to melee from behind 'walls'. But I've only tried traditional designs for that. I'm thinking now that I'd need to build more of a maze/combo and build w expectations that fighting positions won't hold long once the z's get to them.

I'd be interested to see what you come up w and how it turns out going full on 'mole' :)

---

Edit: good catch Joe, I forgot the Wasteland Biome :)

alot of the bunker POIs and few of the houses have cement mixers in em if you wanna try searching till you find one to ease into it.

- - - Updated - - -

tried a wood base on my first horde night....didnt last more than a couple mins till the cops showed up lol

lol, you got far quick. I normally don't run into cops till almost second blood moon. first BM I'll just do a 3x3 wood bars, and tons of spikes around it, like 7 rows. never an issue. actually then added more rows to that for day 14 and worked too, just had to shoot cops then as I saw them. typically was able to, marksman rifle and 5 headshots did it, or at least enough to make them run instead of spit.

lol, you got far quick. I normally don't run into cops till almost second blood moon. first BM I'll just do a 3x3 wood bars, and tons of spikes around it, like 7 rows. never an issue. actually then added more rows to that for day 14 and worked too, just had to shoot cops then as I saw them. typically was able to, marksman rifle and 5 headshots did it, or at least enough to make them run instead of spit.

Ive had glowing spiders,glowing cops and a glowing wright on the 3 different day 7 BMs lol I did the stupid idea on day 5 to power level by lighting 16 fires on the road.....6 screamers later and I died a few times turning em off haha glowing cops,packs of dogs,spiders,wrights and such all was coming to my bonfire.

I normally search the town and mark any workbench/mixer/forge or such I can use.Got lucky this last update and found a brewery with a working workbench/chem bench in the basement but my save file screwed up so all I fight is bears now

Here is where I living now though lol its broken

Ive had glowing spiders,glowing cops and a glowing wright on the 3 different day 7 BMs lol I did the stupid idea on day 5 to power level by lighting 16 fires on the road.....6 screamers later and I died a few times turning em off haha glowing cops,packs of dogs,spiders,wrights and such all was coming to my bonfire.

I normally search the town and mark any workbench/mixer/forge or such I can use.Got lucky this last update and found a brewery with a working workbench/chem bench in the basement but my save file screwed up so all I fight is bears now

Here is where I living now though lol its broken

better than zombie bears, maybe? lol. and yeah, I've never farmed screamers. usually end up killing them before they scream. though I feel like they are easier to get rid of now. many times i've had one at my door, i open it, smash her in the head, and no scream. other times i've rounded a corner, ran by her, freaked out, fumbled a moment, killed her, and still no scream. was surprised to say the least.

better than zombie bears, maybe? lol. and yeah, I've never farmed screamers. usually end up killing them before they scream. though I feel like they are easier to get rid of now. many times i've had one at my door, i open it, smash her in the head, and no scream. other times i've rounded a corner, ran by her, freaked out, fumbled a moment, killed her, and still no scream. was surprised to say the least.

Im talking POIs that spawn only bears instead of zombies lol I killed 19 bears in one and went next door to kill 10 more XD went to a military camp on the road and there was 4 zombie bears that stood up when I got close. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1595567422

I was farming it for fun really to test bleed, on my test world I have maxed out machete skills and its so fun. tap a zombie and either it goes down from bleed or a body part falls off normally. also tested out a max modded ak, I dont see why people say to put it on semi fire as with enough weapon handling you can full spray easy and with a silencer you can spray a zombie down on one side of the room while the other sleepers dont even wake up.Also military armor fully maxed out is pretty fun lol I was getting smacked all over the place by glowing zombies and still never went below half hp. I use healing factor maxed plus the grip that regens hp.

Im talking POIs that spawn only bears instead of zombies lol I killed 19 bears in one and went next door to kill 10 more XD went to a military camp on the road and there was 4 zombie bears that stood up when I got close. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1595567422

I was farming it for fun really to test bleed, on my test world I have maxed out machete skills and its so fun. tap a zombie and either it goes down from bleed or a body part falls off normally. also tested out a max modded ak, I dont see why people say to put it on semi fire as with enough weapon handling you can full spray easy and with a silencer you can spray a zombie down on one side of the room while the other sleepers dont even wake up.Also military armor fully maxed out is pretty fun lol I was getting smacked all over the place by glowing zombies and still never went below half hp. I use healing factor maxed plus the grip that regens hp.

is that the right screenshot? lol... or it just may be the link is grouped with a different paragraph then intended.

it's crazy how big that POI is when it doesn't even look that large outside. Though honestly, would expect the mines to be much much larger, tons of mining lights hanging around, and always dark cause of no way for natural light to come in like buildings typically do.

is that the right screenshot? lol... or it just may be the link is grouped with a different paragraph then intended.

it's crazy how big that POI is when it doesn't even look that large outside. Though honestly, would expect the mines to be much much larger, tons of mining lights hanging around, and always dark cause of no way for natural light to come in like buildings typically do.

the screenshot was the bear nuts and meat from doing one POI full of bears due to the corrupt save lol

the POI I showed ya is about 300 blocks around and 30 blocks high.My base is above the hatch and behind the elevator so they cant really get to me.Just had a horde try to dig in for me and they dug straight to the center shaft so I could fill it with blade traps or spikes + barbwire and just sit on top of the elevator tossing mollies.

just my feedback on the latest build. gave it a nudge for a few hrs last night on 2hr day zombies jog at night warrior.

seem a lot more zds roaming about. they take a bit to clear from a prospective poi to use as basecamp 1. a lot of scrambling looking for nests and whacking boulders quietly and chopping down those small bush tree things to make enough arrows just to dig you toes in and claim an area. it can get quite tense! that's good.

ps I don't like melee, prefer ranged - either bow or handgun

took over a two story poi - you know the one with balcony all around both floors and a gunsafe in the bottom. spent most of the first night chipping at the gunsafe and had a good half dozen sets of visitors that needed seeing off. including dogs and ferals (come to think of it, all zds at night seem to have glowing eyes - is that just me?)

I know the biomes in rwg are wip. I am on the patchy part of a border between snow and wasteland and am getting the worst (or best depending on how you look at it) of both biomes in terms of spawns - lots of lumber jacks and dogs.

performance seems similar, although I was able to tweak the graphics up a bit, which is nice.

love the freedom to allocate points where I like. please do not gate stuff behind levels.

no complaints really. feels exiting to play :-)

my end game is being strong enough and having enough gear that its almost like being on creative mode. that's when the massive fortress gets built, or new and amusing ways are constructed / tried to kill zds. dug a 50x50 pit to bedrock in one a16 game. that took aaaaaaages. or a massive farm. definitely complete all quests and loot every building. or spend the time to completely fill a chest with dukes. one day I want to do that for gold silver and diamond. maybe the seed for that should be "scrooge" ha ha. once everything is done and dusted with writing this game, I hope to have a very very long game.

I'm still playing and forming an opinion about the progression in the new build. For me, it's gonna take me a couple playthroughs of different character types to really see...But, one thing I'd like to point out is way the perks are set up allow for some redundancies to appear.

An example (forgive me if I get a couple of the perk levels mixed up I'm going by memory)

Say you want to make a bicycle. Well, that requires INT 4 - which makes crafting quality level 3. So no matter what, the minimum bicycle level will always be 3. You cannot make a level 1 or level 2 bicycle. It will always be a 3+.

This scales through all the vehicles - so a minibike would always be level 4+. It makes the lower vehicle quality redundant.

The only solution I can currently think of is either making it under a separate tree or making quality level part of another perk instead of the main attribute- that's even if this is even really that big of a deal. But, it does seems off...and i've noticed a few little things like this with the way it's currently set up.

Had some fun since a17 came out with the game, despite some hit-and-misses here and there.

I do have a few things i'd like to ask.

1st off - is 12 bears + boar boss + some zombies a normal mob spawn at day 38 in one house? Actually bears were present in all the houses (the location East from forest biome trader, NVE SP) just max 3 of them. Pawn shop was the bear den :]. Or is it simply something that came about cause the save I'm playing at originates from A16?

It would be strange tho if that was the case, since before 221/223 PoI spawns were not this crazy.

You should not be using anything from A16. You should be starting new games for each experimental build unless we state otherwise. If you don't you will get bugs from old data.

Archived