Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

What if I have a mining light on before getting on the bicycle? Will that still give light like headlights?

It works now but the light doesn't reach very far at all so you need to go slow to avoid obstacles at least until the night lightens up around midnight or so.

I play this way also (whether SP or co-op) for the most part, tho in my current world I couldn't find a good cabin POI so I'm on the roof of an (uncleared) elementary school on day 2. It feels safe. Ish. I know the building beneath me is teeming with trouble. Probably bears.

This is a more combat-oriented play style, and you would gain many more levels than I would, day-by-day. The "medium" playstyle that Sarsante outlined seems even more combat/POI oriented. No wonder he gets levels so quickly. I spend half a day chopping trees and whacking boulders (and avoiding most zombies) so I can improve (a leeetle bit) my first POI base. He's out cleansing the world of the zombie infestation instead.

Really, yours/Sarsante's play style makes a great co-op partner to my play style. Especially with shared XP set to 1KM. :-) And of course with non-level-gated attributes so we can specialize in what we wanna do.

True but for some reason when I MP I get ♥♥♥♥ FPS lol Im more like sarsante but ive had a roaming horde drop a building I was in due to the bug where the building floats lol the shamway factory, clearing it out and next second i hear clink clinck.turns out a horde had got under the building and dropped about half of it without me knowing.

The dungeon style makes me have to stop and think more how I'd want to proceed. Then if a wandering horde pops up, it becomes even more intense than before. Or when trying to run away, make a wrong turn, now you're in a bathroom or a dead end room. Now it's, crap, I NEED OUT, and now scrambling to rectify that wrong turn.

This. So much this. It can be easy to get turned around and get stuck in a corner.

-----------

You know, as I read through this conversation about endgame and speedsters, I think of Super Mario Bros. You could get to the final boss in World 8 very quickly if you used all the warps, but then you missed all of the worlds in-between. If your goal was to beat the game, good job, but you missed a lot of the content that you were meant to enjoy. "But why did they put in the warps if we weren't meant to use them?" Maybe it was their way of giving players the freedom to play how they wanted. Some wanted to beat the game as quickly as possible, but then they were bored. Well, at least the game company got their money first. For those who wanted to enjoy all of the content that the makers created, they got to do that as well (and probably had a better time).

Just some thoughts.

This. So much this. It can be easy to get turned around and get stuck in a corner.

-----------

You know, as I read through this conversation about endgame and speedsters, I think of Super Mario Bros. You could get to the final boss in World 8 very quickly if you used all the warps, but then you missed all of the worlds in-between. If your goal was to beat the game, good job, but you missed a lot of the content that you were meant to enjoy. "But why did they put in the warps if we weren't meant to use them?" Maybe it was their way of giving players the freedom to play how they wanted. Some wanted to beat the game as quickly as possible, but then they were bored. Well, at least the game company got their money first. For those who wanted to enjoy all of the content that the makers created, they got to do that as well (and probably had a better time).

Just some thoughts.

While I agree to your premise,I kinda disagree with the wording.Speedsters are not skipping the content,we are just progressing fast enough we dont spend a couple hours just getting a base for example.We spend at most a couple mins to toss stuff down then we instantly go out to explore the new content aka dungeons or quests.I knew a speedster that had 2 turrets on his base within the first horde night becuase he was farming the trader quests or another that was full steel armor with a lv6 sledge litterally standing in the open on first horde night slaughtering it. I prefer to bomb them with mollies when they group and melee them until it gets too hairy then pull out pistol or shotgun and thin the horde so to speak

Normally for looting I go for military bases first for a chance at rockets to sell or aks then its gun stores or tool stores or barns/those half demoed buildings with gun safes.by day 4 on a good playthrough Ive made around 15k dukes selling off what I dont use.

While I agree to your premise,I kinda disagree with the wording.Speedsters are not skipping the content,we are just progressing fast enough we dont spend a couple hours just getting a base for example.We spend at most a couple mins to toss stuff down then we instantly go out to explore the new content aka dungeons or quests.I knew a speedster that had 2 turrets on his base within the first horde night becuase he was farming the trader quests or another that was full steel armor with a lv6 sledge litterally standing in the open on first horde night slaughtering it. I prefer to bomb them with mollies when they group and melee them until it gets too hairy then pull out pistol or shotgun and thin the horde so to speak

Normally for looting I go for military bases first for a chance at rockets to sell or aks then its gun stores or tool stores or barns/those half demoed buildings with gun safes.by day 4 on a good playthrough Ive made around 15k dukes selling off what I dont use.

But there was a skip. Your friend skipped facing that first horde fighting from a simple base made out of wood or cobblestone and some spikes and him with a bow and arrow trying to soften up and kill as many as he could. The fear as he started getting low on arrows and realized that there were still too many zombies and they would collapse his base unless he jumped down and did his best to run around and try and melee them or at least lead them away. Maybe if he were prepared he'd have a secondary fall back place to run to.

Nope that was all skipped by twin turrets that probably decimated that first little horde before it could get within 10 meters of his base's walls.

People who race and get concrete and turrets and are 300% safe by that first 7 day horde warp past a lot of thrills and..... I don't complain of boredom while they do.

Because you are in the matrix...or a swimming pool...

i15CW5F.jpg

Chip: I can't hold my tongue. These kids are my grandchildren and you are raising them wrong. They are *terrible* boys!

Walker: Shut up, Chip, or I'll go ape-♥♥♥♥ on your ass!

Texas Ranger: I'm gonna scissor-kick you in the back of the head!

Cal Naughton, Jr.: Yeah!

Ricky Bobby: Yeah! Now turn up the heat!

Cal Naughton, Jr.: Go on and get some, boys!

Ricky Bobby: Come on!

Walker: I'm ten years old, but I'll beat your ass!

Texas Ranger: Chip, I'm gonna come at you like a spider monkey!

Cal Naughton, Jr.: Like a spider monkey! Go on!

Ricky Bobby: Chip, you brought this on, man.

Walker: Greatest Generation my ass. Tom Brokaw's a punk!

Chip: What is wrong with you?

Texas Ranger: Chip, I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!

Yea but then you end getting daylight at 2am or earlier and it stays dark. I miss the old days when you adjusted it and night just ticked away faster.

My server is set to 4-hour nights*, so the happy sound goes off at 2AM. By about 2:30AM, it's dawn outside - plenty of light to see outdoor obstacles, boulders, etc. Still a little dark to go into buildings, tho. I actually expected not to see any sunlight until the usual 4AM, but it looks to me like the game shifts the world closer to the Arctic circle, and the darkness actually only lasts 4 hours.

Or I have gamma issues. Though at night night, before the moon comes out, I can't see in front of my face without a torch.

*Specifically and only for the experimental; I like longer days to explore all the new stuffs especially since my formative years were spent in console edition.

My server is set to 4-hour nights*, so the happy sound goes off at 2AM. By about 2:30AM, it's dawn outside - plenty of light to see outdoor obstacles, boulders, etc. Still a little dark to go into buildings, tho. I actually expected not to see any sunlight until the usual 4AM, but it looks to me like the game shifts the world closer to the Arctic circle, and the darkness actually only lasts 4 hours.

Or I have gamma issues. Though at night night, before the moon comes out, I can't see in front of my face without a torch.

*Specifically and only for the experimental; I like longer days to explore all the new stuffs especially since my formative years were spent in console edition.

NV helps a bit till they fix it plus it doesnt attract zombies like a mining helmet or light mod.

Since faatal got vehicle lights working will we see another build before the weekend? Just that addition and adjusting the overly gated anvil would keep us quite content till mid Jan.

Of course some people would be done with it in a few hours.

And my question was buried by the recent chatter...how do you bank the gyro down with a controller?

Not wrong. You are playing correctly for you except that you aren't happy with it.

I have never cleared 2 POI's on my first day. I usually take over the first one I come to which is usually one of the trashy non-level designed wilderness houses. I improve the upper floor and remove access to it, finish up my quest by placing a fireplace, replacing my bedroll, and crafting a chest to empty everything into. Then I spend the rest of the day gathering basic materials.

Day 2 I travel to the trader and often skip zombies I encounter in the wilderness. I hunt every animal I come across to the trader and back again to my initial camp. Then I start exploring outward and scavenging in POI's. I do not hunt down and kill every zombie. I let wandering hordes move past. When threatened I kill to defend. I also start working on making flagstone blocks in anticipation of my first base.

I usually stay in the first house until after Day 7 which pretty much hoses it. Then I move closer to the trader and build my own base. Week 2 is getting that base ready. I am usually level 8-10 by Day 7 and having a great time. I have zero complaints about my pacing or what the game throws at me. The game plays out like an apocalyptic story or an episode of The Walking Dead. But playing like this....letting zombies go by....would probably drive you crazy, eh? :)

this is how i like to play - i harness my inner coward and only fight to survive:)

But there was a skip. Your friend skipped facing that first horde fighting from a simple base made out of wood or cobblestone and some spikes and him with a bow and arrow trying to soften up and kill as many as he could. The fear as he started getting low on arrows and realized that there were still too many zombies and they would collapse his base unless he jumped down and did his best to run around and try and melee them or at least lead them away. Maybe if he were prepared he'd have a secondary fall back place to run to.

Nope that was all skipped by twin turrets that probably decimated that first little horde before it could get within 10 meters of his base's walls.

People who race and get concrete and turrets and are 300% safe by that first 7 day horde warp past a lot of thrills and..... I don't complain of boredom while they do.

Normally with that setup he would see glowing cops and glowing spiders so its a bit harder than the normal zombie hordes.hell my first horde I had a glowing wright and I wasnt even like that lol was a lv4 sledge and a few mollies to throw. Have you ever watched say Znation the youtuber?Hes a 2hr day player on atleast warrior or higher and if it gets too easy he bumps the difficulty or mods it harder.I think he was a solo with around 4k gamestage in a16. ps wood base didnt stand up to my first horde night btw lol did a wood base over a spike pit and they went right for the 3 supports.cops one shot like 3 wood blocks at a time lol

<snip> ... first horde fighting from a simple base made out of wood or cobblestone and some spikes and him with a bow and arrow trying to soften up and kill as many as he could. The fear as he started getting low on arrows and realized that there were still too many zombies and they would collapse his base unless he jumped down and did his best to run around and try and melee them or at least lead them away. Maybe if he were prepared he'd have a secondary fall back place to run to.<snip>

Roland, our playstyles are very similar (from your earlier post) so I noticed this part about 1st horde night base. I know there were changes to z damage but after first A17exp build I haven't attempted even a full Cobblestone melee base without a huge number of spikes; at least 6 deep.

Would you say that a small (5x5~7x7) melee base, with only 2~3 rows of wooden spikes is possibly viable now?

I know, lots of variables, so I won't come to collect insurance from you :) Just wondering if, in your opinion, that rough setup may be viable?

Roland, our playstyles are very similar (from your earlier post) so I noticed this part about 1st horde night base. I know there were changes to z damage but after first A17exp build I haven't attempted even a full Cobblestone melee base without a huge number of spikes; at least 6 deep.

Would you say that a small (5x5~7x7) melee base, with only 2~3 rows of wooden spikes is possibly viable now?

I know, lots of variables, so I won't come to collect insurance from you :) Just wondering if, in your opinion, that rough setup may be viable?

z dmg from what i saw got cut to 45% from 100% bonus dmg if multiple hit same block. There was a video of a mostly cobble/some concrete base with a couple rows of spikes that held out pretty well on day 7 horde..I can link and time stamp if you want.

How many traders are there in Navegane now, 5?

Not sure as of b233. Prior there was one in each biome, so 4. There have been changes, maybe?, to Nav map; the large gas staion in the East is now a dungeon; but that may just be a result of the POI getting attention and not the Nav map as a whole, no idea.

Edit: Joe caught me :) I forgot the Wasteland, so yes, 5 in Nav

I love how there are so many builds you can explore with the new perk system, like armor mods for carry capacity or thermal relegation, loot skill or trader skill as alternative to crafting. However one thing has been bothering me, why is the bicycle gated behind a perk when the materials themselves already are, as far as i know you can only craft them and by no other means can obtain them making intellect a must pick stat. Is it possible to get the parts of vehicles in loot and remove the perk gate for assembling them? Still gating the crafting of the parts of course.

-snip-

Just some thoughts.

Well, that's really just another way of saying: "Play the game how you like".

But yeah... I have had similar thoughts :)

Ah, the new build though allows zombies to walk over those blocks now, no longer stops pathing. Says so in the notes, so that won't work now (at least it shouldn't based on notes)--edit--those blocks may still work because of how he has the top one too, I was thinking of different ones. rewatched it and noticed the top partial block was gone, so they walked over the bottom. Did that get fixed to with this last build--/edit--. I do also think they need to get rid of the whole blocks being held up by half blocks, lol. I feel like they should have 0 or near that for holding weight. It's good for bases, but lol, was so weird and funny seeing that all held up by the single small thin plates in the center since those half blocks were holding everything up.

Ah, the new build though allows zombies to walk over those blocks now, no longer stops pathing. Says so in the notes, so that won't work now (at least it shouldn't based on notes)--edit--those blocks may still work because of how he has the top one too, I was thinking of different ones. rewatched it and noticed the top partial block was gone, so they walked over the bottom. Did that get fixed to with this last build--/edit--. I do also think they need to get rid of the whole blocks being held up by half blocks, lol. I feel like they should have 0 or near that for holding weight. It's good for bases, but lol, was so weird and funny seeing that all held up by the single small thin plates in the center since those half blocks were holding everything up.

yep but you can put the poles in different position say chest level or ankle level with barbwire to slow em down and just use more spikes in between.I found a broken POI thats gonna work very nice for a bomb trap lol they can tunnel in but looks like they would just fall in the center pit.

Archived