Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Simple problem is that the early stages are so penalizing that you simply want to reach lvl 60 or so.

And i dont speak about guns or zombies

Stamina, Stamina, You are hot, you are cold, stamina. You are encumbered, Stamina, you are encumbered.

This is so annoying the first 14 Hours that there is not a single second you can enjoy the game.

Why should i spend many real hours in building a base that will be destroyed 10 Hours later if a Zombie only looks toward it.

Means so more TFP try to force me to stay in a gamestage that make no fun at all, so more i want to leave it.

Reinforced concrete and steelwalls should be endgamestuff. Not like now where it is the only material you can rely on.

There is simply no other material you can build a base with.

Ergo: Powerleveling

This sounds like heavily outdated info. Have you played the last update? I was able to fend of a horde on day 7, I logged out and nearly fended off the second horde that spawned because I logged back in with just reinforced wood and 2 rows of spike traps and wooden bars to walk on, around a simple 7x7 3 tall box house.

They can always gate things through other means. If they make the bellows recipe out of more advanced components for example that would delay being able to get your own forge. They could also make the bellows be a reward for a tier 2 quest and they could make it a very expensive item in the trader's secret stash. Multiple ways to get the bellows but all of them more difficult than now meaning that whether you purchase the perk or not you still have to track down the component to build it and it isn't going to happen during the first few days.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/images/thumb/bellows_6105727_250.jpg?version=3.1.195

<recipe name="toolBellows" count="1">

<ingredient name="resourceWood" count="6"/>

<ingredient name="resourceLeather" count="20"/>

<ingredient name="resourceMetalPipe" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="resourceDuctTape" count="5"/>

<ingredient name="resourceNail" count="5"/>

</recipe>

You need to see screenshots of Royal's constructions. He goes for epic. Surface rectangular base of flagstone upgraded to brick is not really his mojo. He's plenty creative but he's also "go large or go home" and that isn't fitting well with the A17 early game.

I like to build huge castles, but typically have an area designated to fight the zombies, like a big T that comes off my outer wall.

34579110tx.jpg

The option depth of field works as it should be...

The game looks very nice with this active, but not when i'm looking thru my "windows"

i have to disable it at night in my base :upset:

Is it possible to change it?

Or is this a bug

That seems like a bug to me.

I've been pretty critical of a lot of the changes in A17, but I'm also not above heaping the praise when its more than deserved. I didn't think they'd look at progression and perks. I assumed that since they did so much work on it, that was it. This was the new way.

Im very happy to eat crow on this. This is the best news I have heard this Alpha. Even more kudos for using the new schematic system to remove some stuff from perks and adding it to something we can find on our own.

Im very excited and for the first time since week one I am hopeful and looking forward to trying the next Experimental update. Good job MM and team for listening to the players and not taking the easy road and having player just accept things the way they are. You have reaffirmed my faith in "In Pimps We Trust" again.

It may never be as hard as I would like it to be and that is fine, there's modding for that, but getting the base games issues in order is a wonderful foundation to begin with.

Thanks Jax, I somehow only see your supportive posts :)

Madmole

Can we see attack structures such as catapults and large crossbows as defenses that we put as turrets?

- - - Updated - - -

I like to build huge castles, but typically have an area designated to fight the zombies, like a big T that comes off my outer wall.

I'm just like you, I love building defensive castles but we can see attack structures like catapults example and big crossbows as defenders that we put as turrets? and shoot big arrows?

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/images/thumb/bellows_6105727_250.jpg?version=3.1.195

</recipe>

Now make it a workbench recipe and people will only be able to craft it if they find a working workbench... heheh

(But also make it a quest reward)

So does anyone have the problem where they can't make a new map? I made a new seed last night for hubby and I to play in, and it ended up loading my solo player game from 199. Identical map, even though I told it to create a new seed....

I found I need to delete all 7DTD/The Fun Pimp files from %appdata% and %programfiles% on my computer to get rid of ghost data. I try to avoid regedits, but sometimes I go through that and delete 7DTD related software keys to avoid problems. Hope that helps.

I found I need to delete all 7DTD/The Fun Pimp files from %appdata% and %programfiles% on my computer to get rid of ghost data. I try to avoid regedits, but sometimes I go through that and delete 7DTD related software keys to avoid problems. Hope that helps.

does doing that kill your current games? I have a solo save I'm trying to save, but I can't even find the file to move it for a backup...

I agree, the system did not reflect the freedom to create your favorite character class very well and I didn't like the lack of early game specialization. That said we've already changed it and are testing it for a release. Now to balance this attribute points scale in cost, something like 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,5,6. Don't quote me there, but you can max out one attribute roughly in your mid 30's but at the expense of having zero perks.

Here are is my portion of the release notes on it:

Changed: Attributes are no longer gated by your level. You can specialize very early game now but attributes cost more for the higher ranks. The goal is to allow players to specialize into classes early game, and be awesome at a few things and ok or poor at other things. Or you can be a jack of all trades, the choice is yours. With the costs of the higher attributes being steeper, players will probably want to specialize in one or two attributes and get the best perks in those attributes and late game there will be less god tier characters who have every perk unlocked. We are looking for feedback such as are there any exploits or severe imbalances with this new system.

Great change. The current system definitely encouraged generalization instead of specialization.

</recipe>

I always wondered why you didn't require nails for more recipes like the workbench and chemistry station...etc.

secondal attempt.

this phone is about to be emedded in the wall

please, what does rng mean?

ok

looked it up

random number generation

ie chance

why dont we like chance?

if we are certain x will happen when we do action y then where is the surprise or that YES!!!! that comes when you get that widget you have been searching for

personally i would like to see far more intricate, staged recipes for the likes of guns and vehicles.

ingredients gated behind optional skills (not levels but progression in skill sets ok)

then if you happen to find them (YES!!) or buy them or make them then you get the cool toy.

remember, he who dies with the most toys wins

:-)

Chance is great, but sometimes it just REALLY sucks. When you need just one critical component to do something like a wrench to build a workbench, and you can't find one until day 42 in a dead is dead game in Ravenhearst (btw, thanks Jax!), that's why so many people are against it.

</recipe>

Yay...more dumpster diving. :crushed:

So many of the recipes in the game rely too much on loot that's specific to just the trash bags. The bellows recipe you just posted makes sense. But, man - just look at the recipes overall - even end-game ones - and it's usually just the same type of loot you find in trash bags with maybe a few bars of steel added instead.

I know some people hate relying on RNG for core items like mini-bikes and forges - but I think at least the recipes for some unique items should only be found inside specific POIs. The only real thing we got going for us now is the mod schematics - but those are just most often found in book shelves and traders.

Anyway, if you look at the recipes for most items - the core list of what's most used in the game is:

Glue\Ductape\Bones - Garbage bags

Polymer - Garbage Bags, Wheels on Ground

Mechanical Parts - Cars, Disassemble items outside the POIs

Cloth - Garbage, Tents

--OR Things you can craft or mine (forged iron, steel, scrap iron, lead, etc)

^Those items should be found there..not disputing that. But, maybe more of the item recipes should include a few unique items here and there to provide incentive for looting the actual POIs..

Some of the most unique POI items in the game like the Tool-N-Die set are rarely even used. I think the game needs a little more things like that. I don't believe major game items HAVE to be locked behind those types of things - but just maybe a few more unique ones. Or maybe make some of the mods require some unique items found only in more dangerous POIs.

If you don't level up the hordes stay easy. The hordes do not get nasty until your game stage is high.

Thats fine if you are in a single player game.....what happens if you have a level 10, a level 40, and a level 60 on a server.....does everyone face level 60 hordes and zombies in POIS??? If all the players are in one general area around a trader..do the levels blend, take an average???

Are the zombies still leveled for each individual???

Regards

Ouch

Some of the most unique POI items in the game like the Tool-N-Die set are rarely even used. I think the game needs a little more things like that. I don't believe major game items HAVE to be locked behind those types of things - but just maybe a few more unique ones. Or maybe make some of the mods require some unique items found only in more dangerous POIs.

A workbench could require a Tool-N-Die set as an ingredient. That sounds like fun. =P

@Madmole or whomever is in charge of this:

I know we're in experimental, so don't take this as me whining and complaining, just curiosity: What is the plan for building tools and their upgrading/repairing speed?

With the new build (b221) it looks like stone axe and hammer speed were restored to pre A17 speeds.

However the nailgun's speed is significantly reduced. It is now just a tad faster than a hammer.

Definitely not optimal, imo.

Trying to think what direction this is going to go, I figured you want to add mods to speed it up?

What I see so far:

Hammer:

There are 2 mods for hammers that either increase damage or stun chance. Both in no way influence upgrade/repair speed. You can also still not add both the weighted head and structural brace together on the same hammer. (I'm sure that bug is reported.)

Nailgun:

Looks like you can add the trigger mods to a nail gun, but they do nothing at all to the repair/upgrade speeds.

Instead they seem to apply to shooting nails, but only in a very buggy way where the ammo counter gets all messed up and the gun will still only shoot one nail – which never hits a thing to begin with.

I'm fine with the concept of mods improving tools, but please take actual building into consideration, not just damage to Zs.

I would also be fine with a perk that increases building speed somehow.

Just give us something lol. Right now it takes almost double the time to upgrade anything. And that's with the nailgun now. It's anything but enjoyable, there is no flow to building under these circumstances.

Thanks Jax, I somehow only see your supportive posts :)

And somehow my negatives. I'm the yin to his yang. :)

BTW, did a day 14 by myself standing on top of a trailer... And I didn't die! Came close, but it was so dark I couldn't see, loving the lighting!

...was switching between the flashlight and my bow shooting into what I hoped was a mass of zeds...

So many missed arrows to pick up the next morning...

Very fun, gamestages felt balanced. But I did mod my trickle to 50 though.

Build is really coming together.

I always wondered why you didn't require nails for more recipes like the workbench and chemistry station...etc.

We added khelldon's mod to require nails for non stackable frames ... Total game changer, I hope the pimps consider it. Gotta tear apart blocks to get bent nails, or hope for a loot drop.

Archived