Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

34579110tx.jpg

The option depth of field works as it should be...

The game looks very nice with this active, but not when i'm looking thru my "windows"

i have to disable it at night in my base :upset:

Is it possible to change it?

Or is this a bug

It is certainly possible to turn it off altogether, it's in the video options.

I've also noticed that depth of field is a bit wonky. Often I'll be fighting a zombie with my bow, but randomly the zombie will become blurry and some other thing in the depth of field will be clear.

But I'm hesitant to file a bug report, because I actually like it.

Fatal should we be playing a lower rez right now for higher FPS? Until it gets resolved?

I'm running a Ryzen 7 1700 and 1060 6gb and 16gb RAM. 2666

Yes, you should, especially with a GTX 1060. You should probably be fine at 1920x1080 but probably not much higher.

That's IMHO of course. I have an overclocked GTX 1050 Ti and it struggles a bit at that resolution, I had to go to low settings. Dropping to 1600x900 allowed me to turn on every option and get a solid framerate.

secondal attempt.

this phone is about to be emedded in the wall

please, what does rng mean?

ok

looked it up

random number generation

ie chance

why dont we like chance?

if we are certain x will happen when we do action y then where is the surprise or that YES!!!! that comes when you get that widget you have been searching for

personally i would like to see far more intricate, staged recipes for the likes of guns and vehicles.

ingredients gated behind optional skills (not levels but progression in skill sets ok)

then if you happen to find them (YES!!) or buy them or make them then you get the cool toy.

remember, he who dies with the most toys wins

:-)

Why should it? Because you assume it should? No.

7 days is heavily cpu dependent, and your cpu isnt good.

The memory bandwidth available to a GPU is also just important, particularly more so in A17 with the streaming of textures in and out, whether TFP are filtering and rendering block textures before they are drawn on screen or not, all matters.

7 Days being voxel, also, makes it more demanding than most "normal" games, especially in regards to the amount of work the CPU has to do.

The higher your IPC is, and the faster your IO systems are, the better 7 days will run.

I think the system requirements need to change then on steam

Sorry but it does not.

Yeah with optimization maybe. But I was running 60FPS on medium on 16, now I need pure potato to get 20-30. If I went quarter texture size, I'll get 40-55 fps. I get it, but I was able to get that 60 on full textures and medium UMA with no lighting special stuff on 1080 resultion in 16 anyway. My CPU can handle it for the most part, but those shaders and such are killin it lol. Honestly yo ucant have 7 days looking like a beautiful game with the voxel and all. At least if so make other settings viable and optimized for reduced quality, that would be a good marketing standpoint I would think. Voxel + Rust/Witcher/etc graphics = 64GB ram with a terraflopping CPU requirment style lol.

As long as certain stage-defining objects (e.g. the forge) are more difficult to craft I'm okay with the change. But as far as I can see now, you can unlock the forge and iron tools with 6 points. So midway day 1 you can have them.

There is talk about maybe changing some requirements for parts, or making them more expensive, or level gating some items. But that's just talk. Would like to see some changes (over the next few days) to substantiate this.

A big part of the problem is that you can unlock two thirds of a forges special abilities with, theoretically, nothing more than your bare hands and an operable workbench. Admittedly, using a stone axe and shovel is significantly faster but that's beside the point.

What's the first thing you do when you build a forge? Craft an anvil. What's the point of needing an anvil for certain recipes if it can be built immediately? Same applies to the crucible, theoretically you must wait until you've unlocked workbenches to craft it but in practice you can find a workbench pretty easily which bypasses this gate.

It'll annoy a lot of people but how about requiring the skill of an item to actually use it. For example, you couldn't work out how to use a forge until you actually know how they work. Have you ever seen a n00b trying to blacksmith in real life? It's one part terrifying, two parts hilarious.

A big part of the problem is that you can unlock two thirds of a forges special abilities with, theoretically, nothing more than your bare hands and an operable workbench. Admittedly, using a stone axe and shovel is significantly faster but that's beside the point.

What's the first thing you do when you build a forge? Craft an anvil. What's the point of needing an anvil for certain recipes if it can be built immediately? Same applies to the crucible, theoretically you must wait until you've unlocked workbenches to craft it but in practice you can find a workbench pretty easily which bypasses this gate.

It'll annoy a lot of people but how about requiring the skill of an item to actually use it. For example, you couldn't work out how to use a forge until you actually know how they work. Have you ever seen a n00b trying to blacksmith in real life? It's one part terrifying, two parts hilarious.

Yeah indeed. It's a bit.. disheartening.. to see the way forward for A17(e).

I could be terribly wrong of course. I mean. Yeah there's still the player's choice to choose to invest their points into being able to craft the forge very early on. You don't have to. But I'm guessing the majority of the players will (pulling the majority here out of my ***).

Yeah indeed. It's a bit.. disheartening.. to see the way forward for A17(e).

I could be terribly wrong of course. I mean. Yeah there's still the player's choice to choose to invest their points into being able to craft the forge very early on. You don't have to. But I'm guessing the majority of the players will (pulling the majority here out of my ***).

I think I have a little more optimism than you do :-)

There's nothing fundamentally broken about the current system, there hasn't been anything fundamentally broken about most systems that have been put in place for years now. What's needed is balance and limitations which takes time, something the pressures of an EA game provide little opportunity for.

I'd be more than happy if the experimental period went on for two or three months with an update released every couple of weeks. That would provide TFP with a _lot_ of playtesters arguing the finer details of what could be done better. You'll still get the occasional (and loveable) fledermausbrot who thinks that a particular balance has destroyed their ability to play the game but unfortunately you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Is there any scenario where people will be able to run A17 almost as good as 16? Or is A16 performance gone forever? Mine isn't bad.. until 64 zombies on horde night comes along - then its a crawl. A16 I never noticed much slowdown during bloodmoones. Granted I haven't played B221 yet... but I didn't see any performance improvements listed.

We have seen some performance gains with B221 from the previous build. But I think we are still seeing the big performance hits when we enter POI's. Lighting still seems to contribute to fps drops too.

On the upside, when we are in a big fight outside with a bunch of zeds, it runs pretty smooth. The zeds themselves aren't affecting our performance anyway.

We are both running older i7's. 16gig ram and SSD's. We have gtx 1060 & 960. We are nowhere near running at 4k, but I think it looks fine. I did put UMA on low on both systems and it seems to help. What is UMA, if anyone knows? I thought they got rid of UMA zeds?

secondal attempt.

this phone is about to be emedded in the wall

please, what does rng mean?

ok

looked it up

random number generation

ie chance

why dont we like chance?

if we are certain x will happen when we do action y then where is the surprise or that YES!!!! that comes when you get that widget you have been searching for

personally i would like to see far more intricate, staged recipes for the likes of guns and vehicles.

ingredients gated behind optional skills (not levels but progression in skill sets ok)

then if you happen to find them (YES!!) or buy them or make them then you get the cool toy.

remember, he who dies with the most toys wins

:-)

it's not that we hate RNG... the biggest complaints are from those who dont get what they want and they in turn hate RNG.

think about it.

btw, RNG doesnt do me any favors either when i want something... i just dont cry and rant about it as much.

just my observation about it... and of course others will tell me to shut up.... :)

It's not that bad

What do you need a trader for? I just do the quests for the iron tools early on but I don't rely on them for anything. You can always run. We have new run options so you can slow zombies down if you want, total control. I had to bite the bullet and go from playing with 64 zombies solo on horde night to 24, and its pretty easy for me. I don't feel like its a grind. I haven't fought any radiated since the rebalance if they seem too hard I'll make sure they are adjusted.

It's just not the same game it was, you have to be careful now or you'll get dead! I'm loving it, POI's are well stocked with quick death for the reckless. You gotta have an AK for the radiation types thats all.

I really don't think the vehicles should have a schematic or trinket to craft - it just put's everything back to the old caliper situation all over again, where you're entirely reliant on RNG.

Fix for that: You need a schematic if you just unlock the vehicle, or you buy the perk above the vehicle too which unlocks an easier recipe for the same part without the schematic (and maybe less materials).

why dont we like chance?

We like chance. "We" is just less than 100% of the players sadly.

Some people got burned by earlier alphas where a wrench would just not drop for endless hours (and lets face it without a single wrench you have a steep climb before you). There are players who take that as a new challenge (I'm in that group) but there are others who either are less resistant to frustration or their play-style becomes impossible without that (builders?)

RNG works excellent, but probably there should be an alternative non-RNG way to get items that are "game-breaking" essential. For the sake of a peaceful forum :cocksure:

I just feel like we're going back to a16.4 with the forges up and running before the first 3 days, completely bypassing the first part of the game.

How long should we shaft people early game? I played 4-5 hours using crap tools and got mine. In Rust I can usually get a forge going on the first evening and start getting iron tools. Iron tools without mods or perks to make them better are not great at all. I could have maybe got my forge up a bit faster but I spread a few other perks where needed like strength and pack mule. Iron tools are not end game. We can always level gate perks, I just don't like level gated attributes.

My biggest complaint is I can't level if I want to take time to work on a good base. If you get too far behind in the weeks, you get spanked by the Zeds. Hope there is going to be some kind of comprise.

If you don't level up the hordes stay easy. The hordes do not get nasty until your game stage is high.

Tier 1 Quest rewards should include Glue 50% of the time

Tier 2 Quest rewards should include Beakers 50% of the time.

Tier 3 Quest rewards should include Oil 30% of the time.

Tier 4 Quest rewards should include 7.62 50% of the time.

Something like that. Thank you for considering my humble yet accurate request. :)

As we people tend to do, I figured I was "normal" in that Job 1 (or maybe 2, definitely no lower than 3) in 7D2D is to find a working forge. The forge-cabin isn't all that rare, and of course the traders might have a working one. I've only done 3 A17 worlds so far, but in each one I had access to a forge by day 2. I prioritize it over leveling or base-buliding.

With the proposed system, though, you could specialize towards forge-building and make your own by day 2 or 3 maybe, but at the cost of having basically no other attribute increases or perks. Seems to me that would increase play style choice without really affecting people who don't prioritize the forge like that.

I play almost exclusively 2-player co-op and we want to specialize. He's going to be the melee tank and I'm going to be the ranged expert, crafter, and chef. I'll take a little strength for backpack space and he'll take some perception because he needs to hit the broad side of a barn, but otherwise we try to mostly stay in our lanes to maximize our team capabilities.

Under current rules, we found ourselves stopped by the gates. I could have waited 6 or 7 levels until level 30 came along and then spent all those points in a bunch, but instead I dropped points into nice-to-haves or some extra strength or whatever. Proposed system would allow me to keep diving deeper into perception & intellect, but at a cost to my ability to generalize. Fits nicely with our play style.

But if I did want to generalize, in an SP game perhaps, I could still do that with the proposed system. Win-win?

This is exactly what I didn't like being stopped by the gates, at least in my attributes. You can't be a bruiser tank if your strength and fortitude are level capped. So you end up buying other stuff because you are waiting to someday feel specialized. The old system was like Ark, everyone was the same build because of level restrictions. Now we're more like Fallout 4 where you can be any class right out of the vault with 10 INT and 1 strength. Strengths and weaknesses are way more interesting. The old system promoted jack of all trades master of everything someday.

… We can always level gate perks, I just don't like level gated attributes.

Now that sir, is a great idea! Some perks, if maxed in certain sets, are very OP. I'm all for keeping the "Death Knight" Perks behind a 100 level wall where they rightly belong! :)

Keep thinking the good stuff and thanks MM!

it's not that we hate RNG... the biggest complaints are from those who dont get what they want and they in turn hate RNG.

think about it.

btw, RNG doesnt do me any favors either when i want something... i just dont cry and rant about it as much.

just my observation about it... and of course others will tell me to shut up.... :)

Yeah, I'm one of those that hates RNG. Idk how many times in A16.4 my friends would find the minibike schematics in a couple days (yea if on our MP server) but it would always, ALWAYS, take me 30+ days to find it on my SP maps and I'd already be end game by then so it wasn't needed, just would have been nice to have earlier. Or shoot, many games that have that 95% chance to succeed and I fail 10 times in a row. Or with zombie loot, I once looked and had 400+ zombie kills and never had a bag drop, lol. I've always had really bad luck in games (mostly irl too, other than finding my wife). Now I know some things just need to be behind RNG, like hit chances, crit chances, etc. but chances of finding items and that being the only way to get something really does frustrate me. I'd rather something be gated way late game that I work towards than an early game RNG that more than likely I'll never get. So yeah, I hate RNG, but as long as I can get something without RNG, then I don't care if RNG is put in, too. If I for once get mega lucky (or have my friends playing) then it just means I get it earlier if not later.

How long should we shaft people early game? I played 4-5 hours using crap tools and got mine. In Rust I can usually get a forge going on the first evening and start getting iron tools. Iron tools without mods or perks to make them better are not great at all. I could have maybe got my forge up a bit faster but I spread a few other perks where needed like strength and pack mule. Iron tools are not end game. We can always level gate perks, I just don't like level gated attributes.

part of the problem with this is intel sets the quality. by the time you get to iron, you arent making poor quality anymore. you are automatically set to making better quality for the first iron tool. it need to be tweaked a bit so that when you do make a higher tier req'd item, you start at low quality for first attempt and have to get better at it.

example you first get iron tool crafting capability. it starts at 1, but by the time you can make steel tools, iron quality is 3, but steel quality is 1 until you put pore points into it. same with weapons and armor.

Archived