Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I agree, the system did not reflect the freedom to create your favorite character class very well and I didn't like the lack of early game specialization. That said we've already changed it and are testing it for a release. Now to balance this attribute points scale in cost, something like 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,5,6. Don't quote me there, but you can max out one attribute roughly in your mid 30's but at the expense of having zero perks.

Here are is my portion of the release notes on it:

Changed: Attributes are no longer gated by your level. You can specialize very early game now but attributes cost more for the higher ranks. The goal is to allow players to specialize into classes early game, and be awesome at a few things and ok or poor at other things. Or you can be a jack of all trades, the choice is yours. With the costs of the higher attributes being steeper, players will probably want to specialize in one or two attributes and get the best perks in those attributes and late game there will be less god tier characters who have every perk unlocked. We are looking for feedback such as are there any exploits or severe imbalances with this new system.

So if I want to go the slow and steady I will be able to allocate perk points like I do today and get most things but at a later stage still, is that correct?

Currently playing with all the different settings. I've always wanted a way to tweak walk/run for day/night. We've been playing stock for so long, changing any of this would change the entire mood of the game.

Our current settings:

- Walk at night

- Sprint during day (run/jog seems to make very little difference to walk.)

- Nightmare for blood moon (cant comment on this feature, we haven't had our first blood moon yet.)

- 200% loot

Before you burn it to the ground, try it out first. Zombie sprint during the day is insane fun. I've had more oh $hit moments in the first 10 minutes of play than with the previous build blood moon on stock settings.

I've already died many times. But if you're smart about what you do, its possible to stay alive for awhile. Its alot of barbed wire on your tool belt and stealth kills in tall grass like ninja. You can't really fight more than 1 effectively without a gun. You can see them all coming, which helps a lot. You start picking your fights more carefully. It isn't realistic to do missions or loot houses during the day. You get murdered outright. Daytime has turned into basebuilding for us.

200% loot helps with finding bullets. The boost in loot helps with day runners, but it barely helps, so not too overpowered.

Night has turned into missions/house looting. We use torches and go room to room. Its scary fun, even with just the regular zombie strut. You could probably bumb up night from zed walk to jog for extra scare.

If I had my own server, I would implement these settings and get rid of flashlights/mining helmet entirely from the game, or make them extremely rare. Maybe even put some kind of timer on torches so they burn out. You'll have to clear a house quick before your escape route goes dark.

There is a mod available which makes torches the way you described. It could be one of Guppycure's

I agree, the system did not reflect the freedom to create your favorite character class very well and I didn't like the lack of early game specialization. That said we've already changed it and are testing it for a release. Now to balance this attribute points scale in cost, something like 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,5,6. Don't quote me there, but you can max out one attribute roughly in your mid 30's but at the expense of having zero perks.

Changed: Attributes are no longer gated by your level. You can specialize very early game now but attributes cost more for the higher ranks. The goal is to allow players to specialize into classes early game, and be awesome at a few things and ok or poor at other things. Or you can be a jack of all trades, the choice is yours. With the costs of the higher attributes being steeper, players will probably want to specialize in one or two attributes and get the best perks in those attributes and late game there will be less god tier characters who have every perk unlocked. We are looking for feedback such as are there any exploits or severe imbalances with this new system.

Still no spamcrafting or having to do something you don't enjoy to get better at it, right? I'm on board

There is a mod available which makes torches the way you described. It could be one of Guppycure's

Want! Having torch timers with this play style would be epic. Having zeds drop from attics and falling though floors during the day is pretty spooky. Running the dungeon POIs at night with a 5 min torch is a whole new level of spooky. Ban the mining helm and gun flashlights! Or put 5 min batteries on them too!

why u wanna be good at it if u dont "enjoy"? spam crafting is dull but removing all do it urself progress too

Sometimes its necessary.

Just an example:

I often play with 1 friend, I don't enjoy mining but he does.. but sometimes we just need more resources so I help -- it would be nice if when I helped I wasn't a total gimp by having some points in that help mining.

I like the idea of removing the gating by upping the cost of attributes. But then again, there will be consecuences. At level 300 if you max out every perk you will have around 26 free perk points to expend. If we count the increased cost of attributes the result (even if this was an early draft of points needed) will be that the player can't max out everything if he tries hard enough (with that new change).

Given that you are not opposed to the "get it all" players and just don't like it much, what do you think about having a tier 6 quest that gives you an option/chance to get 1 perk point on completion? That would avoid the having to up the level cap every time you feel like the game needs more perks and/or non level capping. Quests are cool, and given the framework that's already in there, doing harder modular ones will be a piece of cake(ish) to compensate for that kind of a reward.

Does the spawnrate of Zombies has been decreased?

Me and a friend played 38 Days (90 min.) reached level 105+ and we are at Gamestage 220+.

There are pretty less zombies than before in any kind of buildings...

Sounds like you are playing an old save on the new version. Sleepers were almost nonexistant after I update. So I wiped the world and started over.

My only consern is that bicycles/minibikes will become obsolete, because everyone will rush to motorcycles. I definitely will. Same with iron tools/armor. Maybe leave intellect level gated as it is now?

Leaving only one attribute level gated and not others will be confusing as hell for new players, especially since the interface isn't great at telling you why things are locked.

Before that, I'd increase the requirements to craft the motorcycles. But really, they already take a lot of steel (and duct tape), meaning if you rush it you'll only be able to craft it by buying all that steel, and you still require a workbench too (which you might not find).

Basically, yeah, you'll be able to rush it but it will be an investment in both time and money. Just have to tweak the investment to be balanced. And as others mentioned before, the motorcycle doesn't necessarily make the bike and minibike obsolete, since the bike consumes no fuel and the bike is more efficient.

EDIT: perhaps now that steel won't be level-gated, it would be a good thing to raise the price of steel sold. At the moment it's around 100, I think, and although it seems expensive at first, it means you can buy 100 steel bars for as little as 10k. Since you could rush steel if you really wanted it, raising the cost a little bit could be a good counterweight? It would also alleviate the above problem with the motorcycle, making it harder to craft it for those who rushed it.

I like the idea of removing the gating by upping the cost of attributes. But then again, there will be consecuences. At level 300 if you max out every perk you will have around 26 free perk points to expend. If we count the increased cost of attributes the result (even if this was an early draft of points needed) will be that the player can't max out everything if he tries hard enough (with that new change).

Given that you are not opposed to the "get it all" players and just don't like it much, what do you think about having a tier 6 quest that gives you an option/chance to get 1 perk point on completion? That would avoid the having to up the level cap every time you feel like the game needs more perks and/or non level capping. Quests are cool, and given the framework that's already in there, doing harder modular ones will be a piece of cake(ish) to compensate for that kind of a reward.

Those challenges still give points. We're not really even thinking about the level cap right now, more about how does progression feel the first 50-100 levels.

My only consern is that bicycles/minibikes will become obsolete, because everyone will rush to motorcycles. I definitely will. Same with iron tools/armor. Maybe leave intellect level gated as it is now?

We can level gate specific perks if needed, but I'm in favor of making a rare trinket needed to craft said vehicle, like a schematic for each part like mods.

^ that's an interesting point. As a SP I'm thinking this _may_ actually slow down getting to 'all' the goodies, since I'll be the only one. While in MP, with a good 'work together' group it might speed thing up a fair bit.

By 'all', for me as mostly a builder, I'm mainly interested in getting to Concrete & at least Electric Fences, and hopefully Shotgun Turrets (not sure in a17, maybe darts?). And of course being able to craft ammo. I don't mind 'having' to specialize in one Melee & one Ranged, other than possibly 'wasting' points in archery? Though the Head Shot bonus working for all ranged seems to be enough to keep up w zeds scaling until you can tranistion fully to firearms.

Maybe Steel will actually be pushed back a bit? If instead of a gap between say an Iron & a Steel Pickaxe is more of an overlap; so a maxed IronPick isn't outdone in all respects by a SteelPick? I'm also guessing that when recipes, especially Mods, get a balance pass that maybe lower tier ones will call for Forged Iron rather than Steel. End result being that as a SP I may be reliant on scrounging Steel to maintain/build a few things (hopefully a few more things in world to wrench for steel), but won't have anywhere near enough to upgrade a bunch of blocks. Yet also not severely gimped until I can afford to perk into steel.

-- In above I'm assuming I'll need to balance in combat perks to stay viable.

So to your point @unlike them, for me, I can see myself looking longingly at a 4x4 for a long time, while puttering past on the minibike I've been riding for a 100 levels :)

I'll say this, you Fun Pimps aren't afraid of a good challenge! :D

Seriously, this sounds great, and you may want to stock up on Extra Strength.. something. cause this is gonna take some serious neron squatting!

I love the concept!

about the vehicles I think this can easily be balanced around the cost for the faster options (and of course how good other perks are). If going to a faster vehicle makes me lose many important perks I will just stay with the slower one. Specially if the low tier vehicles get buffed a bit.

BTW I miss improving my stamina regen

It seems now power attacks aren't worth it from a stamina cost standpoint. But, what if power attacks had the ability to knock down not only the zombie you hit but any zombies standing in a close proximity behind them. This would be a great crowd control ability that would be worth losing 30 stamina with one swing.

Archived