Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

if you die you should be able to say "Ok xyz was wrong, next time i make it different"

I think this person gets it. The many ones of people complaining about dying due to A17 not behaving exactly as A16 did should listen to this person.

Seriously

Its a game and not a damn job

And no i dont want to spend 200 Hours in A17 Stable by this ridiculous extra step.

And yes, 200 is no exxageration

So mod it (as I know you already have) and stop complaining about it here. You complained, Gazz responded that mining is intended to be risky, and other players offered workarounds. If the real issue is that you like to play MP and other players won’t mod their servers to your liking TFB.

Agreed, there does seem to be more of a resource use in A17 compared to earlier. But even in A16, I never played on full textures, because of lag spikes.

Optimization is hard/boring i guess.

Did you try lowering the resolution as responded my TFP?

I did, and it helped a lot.

Yeah I did. Those 15 fps are with a 1280x780(?) resolution already. If i played with the same resolution as in a16 I'm getting 7 fps..

Seriously, how hard is it to build some supports while mining in a dead is dead game?

Self-flaggelation.

Speaking about hard; how were the patchnotes?

Just saying it now, melee is retuned. You can't endlessly power attack any more. The best way to play is to use left click attack to get a stagger (left click is buffed some). Then power attack, as power attacking against a knocked down opponent does extra damage. I mean sure you can go flying in there and power attack sometimes, but you want to try and save it until they are knocked down and then you get the kill most of the time.

Another nice strategy is to get a sneak bow shot for 2x damage, then you can usually power attack for a kill or knockdown.

Before left click was pretty useless. Now left click is good for mining too. You can power attack mine, but its pretty dumb considering its meant for melee combat. Like anything try it out, and experiment you'll find your groove. It plays how we intended now, with primary attacks being good, and power attacks more used in situations where it makes sense because if you run out of stamina you are screwed. It also is set up for a risk reward style of play because you WANT to get that power shot kill in but sometimes other zombies are near so its a little risky.

Firearms have way more up front damage and less perked late game damage. (They are still really nice) So they are now useful early game, 2 head shots instead of 7 to kill a weak zombie with a pistol, much better.

Anyhow a new patch is coming soon and its really awesome. I overhauled trader prices and economy so theres mods at traders now and way more accessible brown guns but the price skyrockets as the quality gets good. They have more construction materials and all the new foods are possible to spawn, vending machines have the new foods too.

A ton of stuff coming. Its playing really good. Some nice optimizations too, with a big one coming at some point.

I LOVE the changes to melee honestly, this is what I figured you guys were gonna do from the outset. But I do think harvesting now feels simple and flat by comparison to the new more nuances combat. Is there any chance we can get something that uses power attacks, at proper times and in limited fashion, for mining/tree chopping/digging/etc? This mainly for the purpose of making harvesting and breaking blocks more interesting and more interactive.

Example: Using the combo system from clubs but only register block hits on tool weapons. Thus you may left click and then power attack only at the right time for kind of a rhythm or cadence instead of just "hold left click to harvest". I was thinking of something like every 5th/4th/3rd hit for ranks 3/4/5 of Miner69er. Attacking with the buff up would do more damage and remove the buff. This would work for stone axe, but power attacks would of course be useful for this if you had the stamina to spare.

I think this can be done without conflicting with the vision for power attacks in combat and is a fairly "low cost" solution to making harvesting slightly more interesting. But there are other things that could be done too. Fortnite's weakness circle system is another game's example of making their harvesting more active, though such a style would not fit in this game of course.

So mod it (as I know you already have) and stop complaining about it here. You complained, Gazz responded that mining is intended to be risky, and other players offered workarounds. If the real issue is that you like to play MP and other players won’t mod their servers to your liking TFB.

Well, do you know what.

Its for me, and not only for me a gamebreaking issue.

A issue nobody wins anything the way it is now. If you go back the whole discussion you see that the half of the people stating that the system is perfect as it is NEVER dig tunnels themself. And others throw values around that simply fit in no way in my own experience.

But you are right, it looks as we need to wait until Gazz and Madmole died themself a few times by this bug.

But you are right, it looks as we need to wait until Gazz and Madmole died themself a few times by this bug.

They literally said it was the goal.

Most of mining is boring and predictable. Sand / gravel being unpredictable was the goal.

Well as i said its a bug, because its predictable that you die all 2000 m

Heh, alright, that is funny. It's a fair point Gazz! Please make it so the sand murders us only 50% of the time. Dig that block, maybe you die, maybe you don't. Unpredictable, like you promised! :-)

I am only one seeing Royal this way? :D

vpvuav.png

He is cool, just a bit angry on something.

I know he is fine i just find funny his continous dying while doing same thing over and over. :) Just this time it was gravel in rock. :)

Means not that i like to die, means only that if you die you should be able to say "Ok xyz was wrong, next time i make it different"

So, you died mining tunnels in sand? 5 times right? (That is the xyz that went wrong)

What did you do different "next time"? Cause it sounds like you did the exact same thing (5 times) expecting different results.

That is the definition of insanity, or maybe your char got a concussion and can't remember what went wrong? ;)

Suggestions:

1. Don't tunnel mine in the sand (or gravel) - mine an open pit

2. Build supports - simple frames will work

3. Wear better armor?

4. Wait til you have more health

5. Don't dig so deep - less blocks to fall on your head

6. Accept the game has changed and adapt.

So, you died mining tunnels in sand? 5 times right? (That is the xyz that went wrong)

What did you do different "next time"? Cause it sounds like you did the exact same thing (5 times) expecting different results.

That is the definition of insanity, or maybe your char got a concussion and can't remember what went wrong? ;)

Suggestions:

1. Don't tunnel mine in the sand (or gravel) - mine an open pit

2. Build supports - simple frames will work

3. Wear better armor?

4. Wait til you have more health

5. Don't dig so deep - less blocks to fall on your head

6. Accept the game has changed and adapt.

With other words, forget all build projects you maybe plan for A17

Seriously

And no i dont want to spend 200 Hours in A17 Stable by this ridiculous extra step.

And yes, 200 is no exxageration

Since you play dead is dead, would u rather start over?

5 times.

lol

- - - Updated - - -

Self-flaggelation.

Speaking about hard; how were the patchnotes?

No random gen improvements or optimizations. Instant erection killer.

No random gen improvements or optimizations. Instant erection killer.

hmm , I managed to start RWG for first time ( I skipped first experimental cuz curiousity reasons to play navez, second patch was broken ).

I love it and it goes pretty well. Even found one small town that I looted 15% of it and I am on day 8. It looks I can say amazing , the leveling of roads, buildings, looks fine and challenging in a good way. Landscape looks good if someone needs screenshots I can share.

On second thought the reason for that might be that I named the seed "OCD" and I wonder if the game tries to take care of me in some way, anyway . :)

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

hmm , I managed to start RWG for first time ( I skipped first experimental cuz curiousity reasons to play navez, second patch was broken ).

I love it and it goes pretty well. Even found one small town that I looted 15% of it and I am on day 8. It looks I can say amazing , the leveling of roads, buildings, looks fine and challenging in a good way. Landscape looks good if someone needs screenshots I can share.

The issues in my opinion with RWG are:

1) No mountains / Large hills

2) Tiny Maps

3) No Rivers

4) Biomes are not random

5) no skyscrapers and i think some other buildings are missing to.

6) Buildings collapsing for no reason

7) weird ground outlines around some POI.. (either sunken or raised terrain)

8) Disapearing POI's when I get close...might just be me for this one i dunno.

Seriously

You just stated the Fun Pimp Benchmark for Dumbing Stuff Down-- verbatim!

Amazing!!!

snip

1), 3), 4), 5), 6) - it is RWG 2.0 , brand new one , lets give it a chance.

2) performance in alpha version is an issue indeed, I experience it a lot.

7) to be honest I`ve seen some of the features in real life , but I can`t accept an underground POI that think its a skyscraper, too.

8) I have this but only for a few seconds maybe when the textures are changing with higher ones between the time I see them from far distance and I am close to them to read the signs.

Yh so as I mentioned before, random worlds in a17 seem to only give me like 2 max 3 cities/towns and only 5 or 6 of the new POI’s. I start with the map at full size and have not edited anything to do with the world creation. If I’m correct the fun pimps said there is well over 100 new POI’s in the game now. Why am I never seeing them ? Any help appreciated thanks

1), 3), 4), 5), 6) - it is RWG 2.0 , brand new one , lets give it a chance.

The use of geotiles is doing me a significant concern.

They're okay in a dungeon environment where you can limit the amount of shared space between the tiles, often just having the end of the tunnels roughly the same size with a bit of a flair at the end is enough to hide the join. Bethesda use a hand-placed variation of this system in most of their underground and interiors.

Geotiles on open terrain is a different beast entirely. Unless you have pretty flat areas at the edge of the tile or a global perlin noise which largely renders the use of geotiles useless it's going to be very difficult have a smooth terrain change between tiles. You might even end up with "islands" of mountains with valley's mapping out the edges of each tile, RNG will gleefully point out any hint of a pattern you may let slip through.

- - - Updated - - -

Yh so as I mentioned before, random worlds in a17 seem to only give me like 2 max 3 cities/towns and only 5 or 6 of the new POI’s. I start with the map at full size and have not edited anything to do with the world creation. If I’m correct the fun pimps said there is well over 100 new POI’s in the game now. Why am I never seeing them ? Any help appreciated thanks

Get a quest from a trader, wherever they send you is very likely not to have been in A16.

I think you've just been unlucky with the seeds you've chosen so far. The ones I've played have had the new POIs all over. But I am seeing the float then collapse buildings, and since I was close enough to trigger sleeper spawn, I had a whole swarm of them come out of the wreckage. 😁

With other words, forget all build projects you maybe plan for A17

No, they'll just have to be 3x smaller or use weaker blocks by your "mining takes 3x longer" benchmark.

The SI makes mining much more fun. Otherwise, it's basically just "hold down left click for 3 hours straight". Can you explain how that ISN'T tedious? Sure, adding supports takes longer, but tedium and length are totally separate things, and mixing them up is causing miscommunication issues in your debate. If you don't like mining, then reducing mining time is as simple as increasing the drop rate of underground blocks.

...I see they still haven't fixed blood moon horde from stopping after a set number of zombies has been reached :( Have they even acknowledge the problem? I don't remember seeing it in the "known issues" list.

Can anyone confirm that the Wrench doesn't have the queue up next swing issue?

Still have the issue on Stone Axe, S Shovel & Machete where it seems to queue up next swing.

Just finally made a Wrench and it doesn't seem afflicted. In case this helps isolate things.

Edit: just posted this in bug thread, Joe commented;

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

known issue and has been reopened for further investigations.

Edit2: Joe just added that the wrench still has issues when harvesting a boulder. Which I hadn't tested. Was only wrenching cars & got excited that it wasn't double swinging... (sigh)

Edited by FileMachete (see edit history)