Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

That may mean it’s not working as intended. Jog was supposed to be faster than the old walk speed. It will vary by zombie though. It would be best to test with one of the faster zombies like q-ball or businessman.

Walk is the old walk speed. Jog is faster.

I had a thought....perhaps a bad one, I don't know as I am not programming savvy, but here goes.

Instead of the horde spawner randomly generate a crowd and point them at the player could it pull from the nearest POi? Basically wake the horde in that poi and tell them go to nearest player? This would add to realism/immersion (yeah, I went there) and "I would think" that might serve to ?lower? some computing requirements?

While an ideal scenario, complication and performance wise it wouldn't be worth it. If you built your base really far away from other POI's, travel time and processing all those distance chunks would be undesirable. Even if you were in a town, several pathing codes would need to be generated from many, many different sources, basically scanning the area for POI's to trigger. Then, they would have to break out of wherever they are (impassible areas in the POI, hiding spots, etc) which would spoil the experience whenever you go there with all the swiss cheesed houses.

I get where you coming from; it's a fun, immersive thought, just not technically sound.

While an ideal scenario, complication and performance wise it wouldn't be worth it. If you built your base really far away from other POI's, travel time and processing all those distance chunks would be undesirable. Even if you were in a town, several pathing codes would need to be generated from many, many different sources, basically scanning the area for POI's to trigger. Then, they would have to break out of wherever they are (impassible areas in the POI, hiding spots, etc) which would spoil the experience whenever you go there with all the swiss cheesed houses.

I get where you coming from; it's a fun, immersive thought, just not technically sound.

Bit what I was thinking. Not to mention then the POI itself is probably ruined with most of the loot inside of it. Say it ends up using the Shotgun Messiah plant, and you haven't even gone there yet, there goes that. Or a hospital, etc. I'd find it frustrating to have hordes attack me, then go to a town, and find out my last 5 hordes came from that city and in the process destroyed the POIs trying to get out...

Who designed this absolutely ugly "Metal Tread Plate 1" texture? If you do not want a light color any more, only gray in gray, then please darken the previous real high quality texture a bit off, and makes them a little dirtier. Who cares when it looks good. We can live with that. But qualitatively, you have completely devalued the new texture. On surfaces, this looks like copy paste, terrible. And again a texture that you can not apply anymore to surfaces.

SfSa1Vy.jpg

It's fair to assume that patch notes often are in need of patches ;-). Proper documentation is always the first victim on the altar of software development.

Often changes are made that unknowingly effect something else, so it would not be in the patch notes if unknown. People often think every change was intentional, when many times they are bugs or side effects.

I was talking to Gazz last night about when the xp for harvesting increased because I noticed it weeks ago, but it is not in the patch notes. Well he didn't change it and I can find no code changes for it, so I think it was a side effect of a harvesting change, which I had thought was done on purpose.

Yesterday testers complained that zombies were now weaker against their bases. I didn't change that, but turns out, some timing changes for AI obstacle avoidance and possibly the move speed changes made AI destroy area less effective, so I had adjust destroy area duration to balance that out.

Based on Madmole's comment buried a few pages back, the intention was balance, not nerf. "Passive exp was increased, so it should balance out in the end."

The mysterious adjustment that I could not find an SVN change for.

Stealth, noises and light ... the work that has been done is absolutely brilliant: zombies react to lighting, to simple noises like drawing the bow or jumping. As soon as we become stealth again, they lose us. Especially do not sneeze: D

A test in 2 minutes:

The mysterious adjustment that I could not find an SVN change for.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't had a chance to play with the build (gotta work for food apparently, bleh), but I imagine the balance between passive and zombie kill exp is the goal in mind. I will be certainly looking forward to the change, when/if it exists :p

Description for serverconfig.xml is not pretty clear. I marked an added word in red and i think thats how it is ment:

<property name=”ZombiesRun” value=”0″ /> <!– OLD! 0 = default day/night walk/run, 1 = never run, 2 = always run; this setting ONLY affects regular zombies, some zombies like ferals always run –>
<property name=”ZombieMove[color="#FF0000"]Day[/color]” value=”0″ /> <!– 0-4 (walk, jog, run, sprint, nightmare) –>
<property name=”ZombieMoveNight” value=”3″ /> <!– 0-4 (walk, jog, run, sprint, nightmare) –>
<property name=”ZombieFeralMove” value=”3″ /> <!– 0-4 (walk, jog, run, sprint, nightmare) –>
<property name=”ZombieBMMove” value=”3″ /> <!– 0-4 (walk, jog, run, sprint, nightmare) –>

Maybe a hint in the description might be useful too, instead of tweaking the property name itself. Or am I wrong with my understanding ?

PS: Nice to see that options :smile-new:

Edit: And should we set the first property to 0 if we want to adjust all of the other ones ? Or just uncomment the first line ?

Because ZombieMove is not day. It is the default. BM, Feral and Night are just overrides in highest to lowest priority. Yes if there is a night, then that implies default has to be day, but same difference to me and I like shorter names.

Because ZombieMove is not day. It is the default. BM, Feral and Night are just overrides in highest to lowest priority. Yes if there is a night, then that implies default has to be day, but same difference to me and I like shorter names.

I rent a server and i do not see these options to change the run speeds, I still have the old line. Yes i have updated and the server runs fine, just no options to change for this ?

I rent a server and i do not see these options to change the run speeds, I still have the old line. Yes i have updated and the server runs fine, just no options to change for this ?

You will need to manually edit the config file if your host did not update to the newest one.