Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

As far as I know, radiated have same hp, but they also have ability to recover their health. It means that even 1k of steel bolts can be to few to kill them, if you would hit them 1 bolt per h. I dont know the exact regeneration ratio, but you can check this in xml files.

That's what I thought. Crossbow has been bad since forever with the 9-year delay when your character decides to start reloading the crossbow. I modded the delay lower in 16, but yeah just because it takes a thousand bolts to kill one on insane doesn't mean it should be nerfed, as I said it took less than 50 steel arrows as a level 1 to kill one.

they DO need a better headshot multiplier, a normal sleeper zed can eat a magnum shot to the head, get up, take another magnum shot to the head, fall down get up, take ANOTHER magnum shot to the head, MAYBE die, and then actually die on the 4th shot.

The default headshot multiplier is very low (1.5?) That's why we have 'BOOM! headshot' perk. If you make headshots deadly, you make that perk useless.

I don't think it has anything to do with programming skill; it's a design decision. It's not the hitbox that's the problem, it's simply that to hit an enemy, your crosshair has to be on the enemy at the time that the blow lands, madmole explained this before a17 was released. When you know this, hitting is actually not hard. I can melee without issues.

I wouldn't mind them making it work via collider so that the entire swing can hit, but since that would also make hitting way more easier, perhaps they'd have to rebalance something.

It has to do with how it is implemented. Melee attacks use a raycast from player to the crosshair. Sure we could do fancy stuff with it following the head of the weapon and seeing what it hits, but then there would be other things to complain about, like why am I hitting blocks above me or next to me. Well, they were in the way of the weapon swing and we have limited choices of swinging anims. Pick up a baseball bat and try swinging it at imaginary zombies in your house and see all the stuff you would break instead.

It has to do with how it is implemented. Melee attacks use a raycast from player to the crosshair. Sure we could do fancy stuff with it following the head of the weapon and seeing what it hits, but then there would be other things to complain about, like why am I hitting blocks above me or next to me. Well, they were in the way of the weapon swing and we have limited choices of swinging anims. Pick up a baseball bat and try swinging it at imaginary zombies in your house and see all the stuff you would break instead.

wait for it... wait for it... :D:D

Edit: well... damn. where'd everybody go? i was certain this would get at -least- 1, 'I like that idea!' within 10 minutes :(

K, I'll do it.

Hey faatal, I actually kinda like that idea. Would have to use knives & pistols in tight quarters, it'd be great! :D

Edit2: this is perfect! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbpeGOZpAVk

"alright, we'll look into that..." lmao :bounce:

Yeah, I figured it used raycasts. But to be fair, using Unity, wouldn't it be fairly simple to make it so the raycasts only work on the block layer of the world, and have the colliders only work on the entity layer of the world? That way your swings to zombies don't hit blocks, while still using a collider. Of course, I've no idea what impact this would have performance-wise. Not that the current system bothers me; it forces you to be a little more careful about the aim.

Yeah, I figured it used raycasts. But to be fair, using Unity, wouldn't it be fairly simple to make it so the raycasts only work on the block layer of the world, and have the colliders only work on the entity layer of the world? That way your swings to zombies don't hit blocks, while still using a collider. Of course, I've no idea what impact this would have performance-wise. Not that the current system bothers me; it forces you to be a little more careful about the aim.

But weapon hits should also hit blocks. Like if I am trying to hit a block with a sledgehammer. Weapon ranges also often do not really match the animations. Games are full of smoke and mirrors and good enough. Features are often done in a way that is easy to implement, but still works.

But weapon hits should also hit blocks. Like if I am trying to hit a block with a sledgehammer. Weapon ranges also often do not really match the animations. Games are full of smoke and mirrors and good enough. Features are often done in a way that is easy to implement, but still works.

Totally agreed. Was just a suggestion in the spur of the moment. If raycasts affected the block layer, weapons would still hit blocks, as long as you'd be aiming at it with the crosshair. Of course, if you aim at stone and a zombie shows up at your side, it'd have to be handled... Either it only affects the one it hits first, or it hits both. D-d-d-double strike!

I love the idea of the zombie speed setting. Any chance we could get a resource harvest setting?

I don't think Harvest setting is needed, but maybe they can attach it to Loot Adundance setting itself. I usually keep it default, so they can attach that setting to harvesting as well.

Day 21 hoard was horrible with vultures. The vultures go so close to you that you can't shoot or strike them - I was kinda embedded into their bodies I guess.

Fishing should be added. Fishing pole, small boat, bait, tackle box, drying rack for fish, and alligators for the waters!

Paul

I understand what you are saying Faatal, but when I was farming, I have my cross hair on Corn tree which is behind the musroom (seed), so I am on block A, mushroom on B, and Corn in C. seed is small and on ground, I was aiming at angle to corn, as I just pick mushroom so but cross hair was on corn, and it still pick the seed instead of corn, so it does hit one block to me, If I hit corn while angling to sky it hit correctly, So, it is not hitting the object in scope of raycasting or it is not skipping the block, in between.

- - - Updated - - -

Day 21 hoard was horrible with vultures. The vultures go so close to you that you can't shoot or strike them - I was kinda embedded into their bodies I guess.

Paul

Embedding to body does happen to me once, with that Radiated boar, he somehow share same block as my player and guess what I cannot never outrun it and it can always hit me, while I cannot hit him. so I get a death for it.

I understand what you are saying Faatal, but when I was farming, I have my cross hair on Corn tree which is behind the musroom (seed), so I am on block A, mushroom on B, and Corn in C. seed is small and on ground, I was aiming at angle to corn, as I just pick mushroom so but cross hair was on corn, and it still pick the seed instead of corn, so it does hit one block to me, If I hit corn while angling to sky it hit correctly, So, it is not hitting the object in scope of raycasting or it is not skipping the block, in between.

That is a different issue. That is probably from sizing and positioning of colliders. There are cases where a collider gets missed, since for performance reasons colliders are generally an approximation of the shape of their object.

Bullet sponges are annoying. One feral on insane can take more then 300 steel crosbow arrow and dont care about it... On horde night, we have 9 of them, we were trying to kill them one and half day after horde night, then we just have to log out to remove them. Hundreds of bullet of all kind and arrows, no use...

That's when you need to whisper in their ears with a sledgehammer.

But don't take my advice, I've resorted to playing on whimp difficulty, coz I don't like getting killed.

That is a different issue. That is probably from sizing and positioning of colliders. There are cases where a collider gets missed, since for performance reasons colliders are generally an approximation of the shape of their object.

What was the reason to make harvesting via punch?

It's inconsistent and feels really weird punching flowers on the field. Usually, when white text appears I can interact with an object - open door, search container, drive vehicle etc. - but when I see a plant name I need to punch it instead.

I wonder if it was a quick fix to make harvesting buff work and if it will be changed back to "E" key when TFP has the time.

So you mean Collider are low vertex wireframe, where as image is kinda high vertex wireframe. Which make sense, but it is bit tough to farm right now. Plus killing snake going in this same pattern is hard, getting head shot is hard as well.

Just saying it, I understand they are not easy fix. But something we should inform you .. as you already know about it :).

- - - Updated - - -

Can we get a quick Christmas lights patch? I want to make my base all festive. Ty.

Maybe it will be a future DLC or some modder do it, but pretty sure FunPimp won't.. there is no christmas for lone survivor anyway :).

Archived