Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

XP from zombie kills should be reduced by alot, and I mean ALOT (and the XP icon removed). I know many people enjoy it but it just doesn't fit 7D2D imo. Seeing the XP icon popup after a kill takes away the suspense, and getting alot of it any sense of danger. The new melee combat with the new ragdolls is a win win in itself.

Quests should be the source of large XP income.

I think the xp should be dropped a little. Not a lot. And I think killing zombies should be a viable source of xp. Why force people to do quests by making that the main way of getting xp? It is a zombie game not an rpg lol.

Also I like the xp shown. That way I know what is efficient or not. As for fitting the style in a real zombie scenario such as this doing things efficiently to conserve energy is a must so...

mining

okay, so we do not get as much anymore with mining and it is really expansive in fuel, but my biggest problem is the fact that i die alot because of cave inns, am i the only one?

i really do not like the reaper, so this is a problem.

yeah yeah i know i need to be carefull, it just feels like it is collapsing all around me all the time now, anybody else having the same problem?

another thing is the colour of the ores are they all the same now no matter what i am mining? because i only find stuff that looks like coal but are lead,nitrat etc.

- - - Updated - - -

well personally i like the high xp and the pop up, i was afraid it would be tedious to kill zombies when you do not get any loot, but now i run to kill zombies because of the xp.

Has anyone else run into their minibike disappearing on them?

I was killed by a wandering horde of soldiers that a couple of ferals intruded upon and back at my base I grabbed my bicycle and could see my marker for the minibike. I put the bike down and rode for my stash and my minibike and got my stash but the icon for my minibike disappeared when I got close to it and it wasn't where I left it. The minibike had around 150 forged iron with 10 to 15 honey and many other assorted items including a sledge hammer and other tools that are now gone forever.

EDIT - I am running a half dozen modlets, but nothing that touches the vehicles.

mining

okay, so we do not get as much anymore with mining and it is really expansive in fuel, but my biggest problem is the fact that i die alot because of cave inns, am i the only one?

i really do not like the reaper, so this is a problem.

yeah yeah i know i need to be carefull, it just feels like it is collapsing all around me all the time now, anybody else having the same problem?

another thing is the colour of the ores are they all the same now no matter what i am mining? because i only find stuff that looks like coal but are lead,nitrat etc.

- - - Updated - - -

well personally i like the high xp and the pop up, i was afraid it would be tedious to kill zombies when you do not get any loot, but now i run to kill zombies because of the xp.

absolutely agree. i avoid mining right now, because mine tunnels collapse all the time. sand has no SI, it can not hold up even my stomach breeze.

seeing xp is good in my opinion, but since many do not like it, perhaps make xp icon as option?

TFP did you add ghost zs into the game lol. There I was working on my base inside doors closed when I got hit by 3 hits quick succession I turned around nothing was there went outside incase a cop vomit glitched thru the walls.... nope nothing there lol.

Also what the hell is up with the cell bars and door. I planted them around my base on the patio then decided to paint the floors. Inside my patio walled above and on side with the cell bars I was happily painting when bam I get attacked. I turn around a z is in. I kill z and watch 3 others walk str8 thru the bars lol.

I kill them then proceed to walk towards cell bars and bam i go thru em to. Have I died and not been aware are thebes really ghosts possessing bodies. Stuff out of a horror movie lol

TFP did you add ghost zs into the game lol. There I was working on my base inside doors closed when I got hit by 3 hits quick succession I turned around nothing was there went outside incase a cop vomit glitched thru the walls.... nope nothing there lol.

Also what the hell is up with the cell bars and door. I planted them around my base on the patio then decided to paint the floors. Inside my patio walled above and on side with the cell bars I was happily painting when bam I get attacked. I turn around a z is in. I kill z and watch 3 others walk str8 thru the bars lol.

I kill them then proceed to walk towards cell bars and bam i go thru em to. Have I died and not been aware are thebes really ghosts possessing bodies. Stuff out of a horror movie lol

Isnt the jail door creative only?

I'm gonna try and reduce XP from killing zeds by 10 (so 70 instead of 700), also increase XP from quests by 10. Still gonna be less total from clearing a POI when questing, but I feel it is right. I don't wanna hunt zombies, I wanna be hunted. Currently any wandering horde feels like a gift of free XP. And the reward from 7day horde should be not loot or XP, but your survival.

But that is just me, for my personal play style. I understand we have different preferences. Good thing modding is so simple.

@KRISMA,

When I tunnelled into an iron ore vein I had sand and couple ore blocks collapse. Only collapsed about 6 high then it stopped, even though there was more sand/ore up to the surface (another 30 blocks).

Went into godmode, took a side on screen shot and filed a bug report (b208). I think there were a couple reports filed for earlier experimentals, but it's not on the Known list and so far my report hasn't had a tester add a comment.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?96766-Alpha-17-Experimental-B208-bug-reporting-thread&p=890268&viewfull=1#post890268

Haven't had any cave ins in Stone. Though largest unsupported I've mined is a 5x7 room.

---

XP pop-up icon.

For right now I like it; let's me see that the Biker/VaCa-Cop are worth 1200 but Edgar & Fat Mama are only worth base 700. See how much xp for upgrading or mining, etc.

But I'd also prefer far fewer knock-downs. Then, if XP popup goes away, then the rarer knockdown could be a faker and a nasty suprise. Though to be fair I have noticed that the machete rarely knocks em down.

Long term, once the 'xp per X' is stabilized it could go away. Though a toggle would be nice.

WHy is the thirst and food bars so slow to raise now.....You drink a water and the counter climbs 1 digit at a time....why cant it climb up to a total after each glass of water, like it used to....just so we can over eat or drink and see the orange face....waste of resources if simplification was the goal. Dont like it at all

WHy is the thirst and food bars so slow to raise now.....You drink a water and the counter climbs 1 digit at a time....why cant it climb up to a total after each glass of water, like it used to....just so we can over eat or drink and see the orange face....waste of resources if simplification was the goal. Dont like it at all

Hey Ouch, do you mean if you over-eat/drink you're getting an orange face? If so any idea how much over you're going?

I've been waiting till ~92-94 then eating Bacon&Eggs, +36, but haven't seen an orange face. & seem to get all ~30 worth of oversaturation.

So is there no point in looting or not? You don't need to loot, but wait you are looting safes? Adding a bunch of gun parts fixes that? If you open your small house safes full of gun parts, then you still don't need to loot big POIs. But wait, will the big POIs have the good gun parts, well they can also have the good gun mods. Same difference.

Actually there was a difference. In A16 the range of loot offered was different depending on where you looted it. Wall Safe > Gun Safe > Munitions Box > Shotgun Messiah Crate > Hidden Stash.

Now, I only need to loot one house and I have everything I need. Why not have the mod system with the parts system but still make it so you still find assembled guns as in A17? The best of both worlds if you will. That way people who like gun parts are happy and people who like full guns are happy. Combined with the mods of A17 and you have a broad range of involvement with your guns. I would also say lower the gun drops, right now you can be swimming in guns and ammo on day one.

A* is not that expensive. The big memory and CPU expense is scanning the world and generating the layered grid data needed by A*. Any variations in that data use more CPU to calculate and more memory to store. Zombies share that data, so variations can also slow A* as it tries to select from them. It can be done, but it is not something you slap together.

Straight line algorithms are practically useless at distance, since most of the time entities would simply be stuck and go nowhere or trash blocks that make no sense.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense from a resource perspective that the world information needed by A* is a singleton. But now that you mention it, this does explain some pretty wonky behavior that I've seen.

For example: On the first 7-day blood horde, I was sitting on the Western roof of a POI that I'd fixed up. A bunch of zombies spawned to the West and came running.

But they totally ignored me, though I was sitting in plain sight, and instead went to a weak spot in a wall on the East side of the house. In theory they shouldn't have even seen the East side of the house, much less recognized that there was a weak spot there.

The fact that the same data is shared by all zombies, is probably the culprit. On the other hand I'm not sure how to fix it without each zombie having a copy of the data, or at least holding their own copy of the parts that are in their individual lines of sight. As you mention this would be a complete resource hog.

But regarding straight-line algorithms, my defense of it is that zombies aren't supposed to be very smart. I do see how this would make the AI seem wonky in many situations, e.g. if there's only a single tree between me and and a zombie, the zombie would sit there hacking at the tree rather than just going around it. But that might still be "realistic" in certain situations.

BTW, this is all just spitballing, I don't want you to think of this as a gripe or complaint.

I think the orange face is food poisoning and you can get that from canned food. 5% chance each time I think.

Not sure but food that you cook yourself is largely free of poisoning chance so you won't see it after eating bacon and eggs

Ah, maybe that's it. Though it might actually be helpful if there was a 'Sick to your Stomach' indicator when you've overstuffed yourself; so we'd have a rough idea that X over is a waste. But that'd be 'polish' fer sure. :)

Ah, maybe that's it. Though it might actually be helpful if there was a 'Sick to your Stomach' indicator when you've overstuffed yourself; so we'd have a rough idea that X over is a waste. But that'd be 'polish' fer sure. :)

I think there already is one. With the new system I tend to drink three jars of water at a time instead of waiting to see how hydrated each makes me. Sometimes I get a white water drop displayed, no idea what it means but it seems to appear when I over-hydrate.

I think there already is one. With the new system I tend to drink three jars of water at a time instead of waiting to see how hydrated each makes me. Sometimes I get a white water drop displayed, no idea what it means but it seems to appear when I over-hydrate.

hmm... no idea really. Pretty sure oversaturation, at least for Food, wasn't working before b208?

Ah-ha found it in b208 bug thread under Changed;

"You can overeat a little so that your max stamina does not start dropping immediately afterwards"

So maybe the white water-drop indicates H2O >100% ?

& later on they'll add a white chicken bone or something when we're stuffed :)

Archived