Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

consolidate the build path. Force the concrete builders to go through the wood path first then the scrap path into cobble and then concrete.

Please no. This system completely not intuitive and not realistic, requires lots more resources with 3/4 of those resource being wasted. Makes it really hard to build some structures due to not being able to upgrade hidden blocks. Also this limits what I can build being limited by structural integrity of wood.

Resource grinding is already an issue with A17. Auger helps, but nowhere near A16 levels. Hopefully this would be adjusted.

i believe, 3rd lvl masterchef is pretty good to make food from crap.

i found easy way to build first horde base and probably continue to upgrade for later hords. find ruin with 2 brick/stone walls left, make one more corner witg flagstone poles, preferable 3 poles as triangle. upgrade to brick (1500hp) cover upper floor with woodframes and 2 wide ovwe edge. extend corner poles 3 high, woodframe roof and surrounding walls. materials are possible to gather and get ready for day7 horde.

inside dig 1 deep and fill 2 layers wood spikes + 2 high towards wall and poles. outside 2 high towards wall and 2 or 3 wide. you can kill first horde by walking around and not shoot a single arrow. ofcourse cathering ressources and building takes time, so not so much looting and killing zombies, so it does not fit with everyones playstile

All of these complaints on building and the forge has me cooking up an idea.

Why not unlock that forge on day one. Let them have it. They can make concrete on day one, cement mix etc. Lock the tools if need be.

BUT

consolidate the build path. Force the concrete builders to go through the wood path first then the scrap path into cobble and then concrete. Their only limitation then is how hard they work to get it done.

I've always felt wood should be sustainable for a few days. It's a survival game right? Wood shacks/shelters should be the first thing people try to make. Followed by upgrading it.

I'm alright with this. The upgrade path for wood is wonky though. It you could go from wood to concrete, it would feel better. As it stands I would probably rebuild from cobble if wood still upgraded to iron.

Without mods what difference is there between a level 1 and level 5 sniper rifle? Why is a level 5 one all you need? Is it the extra durability that makes the difference from a level 1 gun?

Nope the perks. Thats where the REAL quality of the weapon comes from

- - - Updated - - -

Adding in the Scrap part would just be mean :) Iron is pretty darn scarce in early game. But somehow I think you know that Jax <ha!>

But I have always wondered why 'wood' was basically just for internals. I think if it were a viable very early game build then it would add to progression.

Personally I'd rather see additional Stations like you & WoW do. A Primitive Forge to cook Iron. Advanced Smelter for Steel. I'm okay with slower progession if there's still -progression-. Atm it feels like there's a fair number of 'bits' missing that would/could liven up early game while still having something to work for in middle & late game.

I like this as well. Unlock the forge at day 1-5 for making lower tier mats including concrete. Then a second upgraded forge like a blacksmith station you can lock to 20 or 30 that makes forged iron and steel perhaps.

So far Durability & number of Mod slots seem to be the only differences.

And w firearms having multiple thousands of durability, that alone doesn't intice me to 'upgrade' unless I loot it.

Lower Durability but heavy use items like axe, pick, melee weapon; for those more durability is worth an upgrade as it comes. At least to me since it means I can likely save a backpack spot by not having to pack around repair mats.

modslots = quallvl -1 , that' what it's supposed to have.

Each mod also ups the damage.

For the sniper (MR10) silencer, scope, bipod, magazine, light or auto/burst)

So yes, more durability (4400 to 8800, 21 degredation per shot)

and purple is cooler than grey. :D

I would be fine with a makeshift forge from day one that could produce better tools than stone.

But I dont see any need for concrete first week if bm hordes would be more balanced.

What I mean is if gs is tied to AI and blockdamage. The higher gs the smarter base you have to build. Like these new bases we have seen in threads.

one question guys, since i cant scroll back the last 200 pages, if the answer was here before.

latest experimental is kind of an early access to a17? accepting, that it still might be a little buggy?

if so, can the savegame be continued in a17 then or do i still have to start a new game?

again the question

Fwiw. Jax got me wondering about Iron. Did the maths, scratched my head. wth-eck? thought some might find it interesting...

I've mined approx 16,000+ Stone this playthrough. Maybe only 10 Boulders? Majority was below ground. Bought Mother Lode & Miner 69er as early as possible. Total Iron Ore mined is about ~1,000. So cooked up would be 5,000 Iron or 500 Forged Iron. Made an axe, pick, hoe & hammer so used 20+20+16+12=68. Could build Two rows of Metal Spikes for a 7x7 for 288 Forged Iron. Three rows would take 480.

Upgrading Wood w Iron or making Scrap Frames in Forge is similar Iron cost wise. Upgrading Wood costs ~8 wood then Iron costs 12, 40 & 40. Scrap Frames cost 15 Iron in Forge then 40 & 40. So using 92 Iron as an upgrade cost the 5,000 Iron I could have would only upgrade 54 blocks. Those blocks would have 2,000 total hps. (2 'layers' of 1,000 hps each).

Looking at Flagstone to Cobblestone. 1 Stone + 1 Clay/dirt = 1 Cobblestone. 1 Flagstone block takes 4 Cobb. Upgrading Flag to Cobb take 10 Cobblestone. Cobb blocks have 1,500 hps total; no degrade path so broken = gone.

Say I'd used half the time mining stone to dig dirt. (know it's not that but as an example) 8,000 Stone & Dirt so 8k Cobblestone Rocks. Need 14 to make then upgrade so could build 571 Cobblestone blocks.

Currently the next upgrade for either top-lvl-Scrap-Iron or Cobblestone is Concrete.

Definately suprised me. Iron felt pretty scarce but.., wowsa. Definately not an early game building material for me :)

--------

@canadianbluebeer, good additional info. Hadn't realized the per shot degradation was >1, good to know!

one question guys, since i cant scroll back the last 200 pages, if the answer was here before.

latest experimental is kind of an early access to a17? accepting, that it still might be a little buggy?

if so, can the savegame be continued in a17 then or do i still have to start a new game?

it is recomended to wipe all game files after every update. you may be able to play between a17 builds but it may cause errors and wierd stuff in game.

Why not unlock that forge on day one. Let them have it. They can make concrete on day one, cement mix etc. Lock the tools if need be.

BUT

consolidate the build path. Force the concrete builders to go through the wood path first then the scrap path into cobble and then concrete. Their only limitation then is how hard they work to get it done.

I've always felt wood should be sustainable for a few days. It's a survival game right? Wood shacks/shelters should be the first thing people try to make. Followed by upgrading it.

I can get behind this. Make a perk tree for building blocks. Makes sense considering everything else is gated behind tiers.

BUT

right, but it is very primitive forge. you can smelt scrap iron, but not ore. make cement and few essentials, like cooking pot, grill. maybe nails. proper forge with all recepies still behind lvl 20. or something like that.

Question:

Will Cooking be expanded & balanced? I know this is still not the public release, but I don't really see an incentive to go beyond the 1st level of Master Chef.

Yeah, I tend to agree, but for those folks who like to amp out their character for endless stamina, they'll want to get to grandpa's secret recipies.

Myself, I'm just curious to know what mutated corn is used for.

Archived