Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So I did a BIG HOUSE poi crawl yesterday. Video should be up on sun or mon. OMFG lol.

I'm torn between anger at the difficulty, dismay at my feeling I'm not good enough and jubilation at the thrill of the danger. I'm also fighting the urge to break through walls to make the easier lol.

I kept reloading my shotgun when it was only a couple of rounds down, old CS habit. And it would make me super slow and almost got me killed more than once. Speaking of reloading why cant I attach my bandolier to my leg armor?

Anyways 10-20 ferals later, multiple football zombies and some vultures later I finished the place. I used about 50 shotgun shells and like 20 pistol rounds. Btw feral soldiers stuck when they don't drop gear anymore lol.

I also used too much healing. But I see my mistakes and will get better. I will also cheese any poi I have already defeated moving forward.

Also what perks would you all suggest for dungeon crawls? Melee does not seem doable tbh. Clubs are weak and axe is slow. So is the sledge hammer. You miss once your going to lose half your health. Also is the stay down perk worth it? Was told we already have like 50 knock down chance anyways.

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

there is currently a bug report on a dev's desk about issues with the bandolier. hang in there :)

Also what perks would you all suggest for dungeon crawls? Melee does not seem doable tbh. Clubs are weak and axe is slow. So is the sledge hammer. You miss once your going to lose half your health. Also is the stay down perk worth it? Was told we already have like 50 knock down chance anyways.

I'm pretty methodical so I tend to do a stepped withdrawal back through whichever way I came while shooting the lead zombie in the head with a bow. You don't wake too many sleepers at a time doing this and limit the chances of getting boxed in by exterior zombies coming to investigate the gunshots. Not the most dynamic playstyle but it's effective.

I'm pretty methodical so I tend to do a stepped withdrawal back through whichever way I came while shooting the lead zombie in the head with a bow. You don't wake too many sleepers at a time doing this and limit the chances of getting boxed in by exterior zombies coming to investigate the gunshots. Not the most dynamic playstyle but it's effective.

Same. Gang busting into a poi is not optimal. Unless others are with you and you have a good escape plan, then it is hysterical.

When they came for me I _think_ the first ones dug down through the dirt then into shaft to land on my head? Can't be certain but I think there was an escalation; don't recall hearing them tearing into wall right away? Though aftermath showed both a tunnel through dirt and a few blocks gone from the wall.

Guessing that the new AI isn't too bad at math :D So that should make it interesting to figure out if an 'apron' of X x Y leads them to go through spikes/walls/hatch/etc. vs. digging underneath. Should be good fun :)

Ah, I forgot about the digging from the side. Maybe one could find the nearest access point to the mine shaft around the house and replace the ground block with a spike trap. The trap has minimal hitpoints but makes a lot of noise when it breaks.

So I did a BIG HOUSE poi crawl yesterday. Video should be up on sun or mon. OMFG lol.

I'm torn between anger at the difficulty, dismay at my feeling I'm not good enough and jubilation at the thrill of the danger. I'm also fighting the urge to break through walls to make the easier lol.

I kept reloading my shotgun when it was only a couple of rounds down, old CS habit. And it would make me super slow and almost got me killed more than once. Speaking of reloading why cant I attach my bandolier to my leg armor?

Lmao man I have that same habit. I do it even in other game like COD Zombies (1/2) with the LMGs. I catch myself reloading after killing 1 pack with one and thinking, "Seriously man, you had 78/100 bullets in the clip and reloaded...".

My advice for you there on dungeons is to have high strength/fortitude, and the damage reduction perk definitely helps more than the numbers seem (same with heavy armor). I typically keep painkillers / bandages on my hotbar and use either the sledge or barbed club and a bow. When I see a pack inside, I weaken them with quick headshots with the bow, while moving around and setting up for retreats. Most of them have some way to retreat to higher levels/floors/etc with boxes or the like. Sometimes I jump across a gap and fight the ones where I just jumped to, then keep picking off the ones I was fighting before.

Think run and gun tactics; and with melee, I've found power-swinging at the head area and backing up exactly as soon as the swing happens helps a lot, too. Prevents retaliation. Barbed-wire mod on a club usually procs the bleeding on knockdown, so it helps with guerilla tactics. Stay mobile and limber, picking them off slowly and use the environment to your advantage.

Is there any way to disable / tone down the late day / early night random hordes ? We've had a horde on day 2 at 21:45 and another day 6 at 21:55. Needless to say it didn't end well having 15 zombies swarm us all of a sudden while we weren't on our "7th day" outpost, and felt very unbalanced / unfair to say the least.

I found a couple very minor things in the Journal that may need touching up on eventually (especially with the increase of newer players here soon\concurrently). I missed a screenshot with the farming and fertile dirt, but with fertilizer being removed it should prob be removed from the journal, also the blood bag doesn't give health anymore so should be changed to it can be used to craft first aid kits, and in cold weather, "hyporthermal" typo. Minor things, but just in case no one's ever seen them (didn't want to make a bug report either lol)

hypor.jpg

firstaid.jpg

Also hints blood bags could stop bleeding, don't think it works that way hehe.

Really do not understand why you all are complaining. I am ending day 2 and I am level 17!!! All I have done is clear out a few PoI's mine a little collect this and that yet to even go to the trader.

It's not that bad yes I found a greenie feral white in a building. Yes I killed it. Found a number of deals they are a pain but not the end of the world.

So by day 3 I'll have a bike..... by day 7 or 8 a mini bike how is this to slow paced. ? I am confused as hell.

Really do not understand why you all are complaining. I am ending day 2 and I am level 17!!! All I have done is clear out a few PoI's mine a little collect this and that yet to even go to the trader.

It's not that bad yes I found a greenie feral white in a building. Yes I killed it. Found a number of deals they are a pain but not the end of the world.

So by day 3 I'll have a bike..... by day 7 or 8 a mini bike how is this to slow paced. ? I am confused as hell.

Because the xp distribution is borked. I've been mostly mining and building so it took me the best part of a week to hit level 17. Farming zombie heads is a far quicker way to level up.

Because the xp distribution is borked. I've been mostly mining and building so it took me the best part of a week to hit level 17. Farming zombie heads is a far quicker way to level up.

I saw that I have close to 350 raw iron from mining.

I don't get the point of playing a zombie based game and not killing a few.

I saw that I have close to 350 raw iron from mining.

I don't get the point of playing a zombie based game and not killing a few.

I also kill quite a few but I like a lot of passive defences on my horde night base. The system just needs a little tweaking, maybe give xp for upgrading and repairing blocks a bit of a boost.

It seems like a larger problem than it is because it's the addition of a lot of small incremental values, the differences in which can only be seen clearly by playing over a long period of time.

So our changes are not adequate nor driven by common sense? Well you won't like A18 then, since it will just be the main menu with a zombie sprite bouncing around and the louder you scream into your mic, the faster it will die. :02.47-tranquillity:

Only some of them and only by my opinion. And most, if not all of them, have roots in same place it seems. Perk system. It's not bad by itself (despite lacking learning by doing which I liked), but it's just TOO overwhelming now. Farming was somewhat hard and required time and patience to multiply crops and fertilize ground. Now? Buy a perk! Stamina usage was harder and leveling it required time and carefulness with properly raising wellness. Now? Buy a perk! Making more damage with guns was a complex problem of leveling skills, crafting/finding better items and recrafting them to even better quality. Now? Buy a perk! Crafting new types of armor and weapons plus minibike was usually tied to some random recipes, which pushed people into houses with book shefts and specialized book stores. Now? Buy a perk!

Almost all of my previous complains (aside from maybe zombie corpses lacking and clay everywhere) are tied to lack of effort now for player to really do variety of things. It's mostly leveling and unlocking perks now. Which saddens me.

Probably said before, but I dont like the XP notification when I kill a zombie. It let's me know they are really dead and won't get back up. Takes away that uncertainty factor that keeps me on edge, and that constant on edge feeling is part of what makes this game so great.

Perhaps if there was a way to delay the XP tag until 5 seconds after the kill?

Probably said before, but I dont like the XP notification when I kill a zombie. It let's me know they are really dead and won't get back up. Takes away that uncertainty factor that keeps me on edge, and that constant on edge feeling is part of what makes this game so great.

Perhaps if there was a way to delay the XP tag until 5 seconds after the kill?

You'd also want to delay the xp bar from moving as well, I notice that usually earlier than the bottom right notification. Though, I don't know how to delay either.

Archived