Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

You were probably already at your current MaxHealth. To raise your MaxHealth, you typically need bandages. Just a basic bandage increases Max without increasing your current health, then you can raise your current hel health with things like painkillers. You really have to look at the stats for items now.

No I can confirm this, too. Not sure if it's intended or not. On a new game I decided to use one of the car/spike reinforced POI things on the 7 day horde and it didn't go well. Had to play jump-man around the area and took a lot of hits. Could only use painkillers if the last one wore off, (the buff it gives) had missing HP and full max HP (was spamming bandages lol)

I know bandits and survivors are postponed to A18, but is does anyone know how to modify the survivor xml so they move and fight?

I created my own "npc survivor" thing, but they dont move or attack. I'm just going to steal a zombie and make a "friendly mutant".

ANYWAAAY, I really enjoy A17! I just wish things like metal trussing, iron railing, and garage metal doors(like the traders have) didnt look like a LOD disaster on settings lower than "half" for texture quality.

I used to play on "quarter" texture quality, and I could still see the blocks. Now at "quarter" I cant even see barbed wire, iron railing, and metal trussing looks like it's stuck in LOD paralysis(the LOD I would probably see from 20m away)

ok, gotta go. cya!

Lmfao. I choked on my tea on that one. Hey, next time you look at the AI I noticed a couple of things. Now, the AI is amazing in its own, but sometimes they zombies use the new attacking stuff in the way a bit too much. For example, I saw a wandering/full sprint horde (i guess kill quad), and some were slamming into trees/plants/rocks for no reason, while other ran around them.

Also, sometimes they dig on cat-walks or other things around ledges that have railings on them, instead of going throw a gap in the railings right next to them. Had one do that while I was inside the POI that had the surrounding catwalks with the said gap in the railing next to it. It seemed to forget that there was an open door next to me, and its shortest point to me was to dig through the floor of the catwalk to the closed door underneath it. Which would be true, if there was no door next to me, and if there wasn't a gap it could walk through right next to it.

Also, they tend to stick on anything 1/2 or 1/4 when there's open space next to them. Nothing game-breaking, just observations.

They possibly hit the tree because they did not have a path to you and entered destroy mode or if they get stuck they will jump and attack to free themselves.

The AI is complicated and there are many edge cases of odd behavior. Often fixing an edge case just makes other weird behavior.

The pathing cannot see every collision shape in the world, since it works at the 1 meter block size with limited accuracy below that. Obstruction code runs on top of that, but also has a limited precision. Higher precision would mean more CPU and memory use and we don't have CPU to spare.

I have some new obstruction sidestepping code I wrote today, that once finished, will help step around 1/2 and 1/4 block edges that the path grid cannot handle. An added bonus is that zombies can step around other zombies, which looks more natural and lethal.

They possibly hit the tree because they did not have a path to you and entered destroy mode or if they get stuck they will jump and attack to free themselves.

The AI is complicated and there are many edge cases of odd behavior. Often fixing an edge case just makes other weird behavior.

The pathing cannot see every collision shape in the world, since it works at the 1 meter block size with limited accuracy below that. Obstruction code runs on top of that, but also has a limited precision. Higher precision would mean more CPU and memory use and we don't have CPU to spare.

I have some new obstruction sidestepping code I wrote today, that once finished, will help step around 1/2 and 1/4 block edges that the path grid cannot handle. An added bonus is that zombies can step around other zombies, which looks more natural and lethal.

Nice! ty for your continued efforts!

I know bandits and survivors are postponed to A18, but is does anyone know how to modify the survivor xml so they move and fight?

I created my own "npc survivor" thing, but they dont move or attack. I'm just going to steal a zombie and make a "friendly mutant".

Bandit code is legacy code that has not been touched by anyone in over a year. I would not expect it to work at all.

Lmfao. I choked on my tea on that one. Hey, next time you look at the AI I noticed a couple of things. Now, the AI is amazing in its own, but sometimes they zombies use the new attacking stuff in the way a bit too much. For example, I saw a wandering/full sprint horde (i guess kill quad), and some were slamming into trees/plants/rocks for no reason, while other ran around them.

Also, sometimes they dig on cat-walks or other things around ledges that have railings on them, instead of going through a gap in the railings right next to them. Had one do that while I was inside the POI that had the surrounding catwalks with the said gap in the railing next to it. It seemed to forget that there was an open door next to me, and its shortest point to me was to dig through the floor of the catwalk to the closed door underneath it. Which would be true, if there was no door next to me, and if there wasn't a gap it could walk through right next to it.

Also, they tend to stick on anything 1/2 or 1/4 when there's open space next to them. Nothing game-breaking, just observations.

I actually like they do that, thing of brainless creature running and they didn't see live brain, they just get hit by tree branch, what they do, they smash it, because they are brain dead. So this actually cause randomness in path finding that stop them from coming in one line to you.. like they do most of time.

I too observe they get stuck at time but again I won't change it, as that is what randomize action is, at time they just are not smart enough to use door and break what they found is blocking them.

- - - Updated - - -

It's in, you need perks.

- - - Updated - - -

... soon you'll need a perk to create a world or to press start.

But you need basic computer perk to start computer....

Sounds great! Add far as the mining helmet goes, imho its distance is fine, but for closer objects it's maybe 25% too bright. We'r are still seeing oddball issues where someone doesn't have it on but another player sees light from it, or Visa versa.

Progression with the bike feels good now... we had two bikes by day 10.

I'm not seeing the amazing vehicle part loot drops I'm seeing in my sp game in our mp game, so that might have just been a fluke.

I DO like spawning near a trader so we can complete the base quest, see what's working at the trader, and plan from there.

We spent day 7 horde night on top of the mausoleum in the graveyard, and were delighted to see the zombies work thier way up to the fence tops, and try to get to us that way, running along the tops of the fences.

Bandit code is legacy code that has not been touched by anyone in over a year. I would not expect it to work at all.

Sounds like from that, that you guys are basically tossing the old code and are planning on creating a newer up to date fancy code for bandits like how you guys rewrote the code for zeds for a17

Just want to say, I'm having a blast in this b208! I think the tuning to the stone axe swings and me learning the new systems, etc, all is coming together.

I was grumbling a bit at first in b199 like lots of us here, but already, I got my melee groove back and really loving the game again!! Great job devs!!

Oh, and one of the rooftops I went onto... well... Fun Pimps are truly evil!! lol I got so wrecked.

So our changes are not adequate nor driven by common sense? Well you won't like A18 then, since it will just be the main menu with a zombie sprite bouncing around and the louder you scream into your mic, the faster it will die. :02.47-tranquillity:

If me screaming at my PC resulted in zombies dying I'd be much better at this game... can you put that code in the next build please? :cocksure:

My adventures started in 14.7, when I discovered the UMA zombie. I set it up as a friendly zombie, even though it's textures were messed up lol. Then in A15 I got them to function in a limited sense. They roamed around, and attacked zombies and aggressive animals. When the new ai stuff came, and the ranged variants arived, I got them to wander and attack too. They even fired their weapons, but some things didnt work with them(crossbow, bow, shutgun using slugs). I gave them an NPCID so they could get hit and not give an error in the console too. Now, suddenly they dont move or attack though. Must be the new system...anyway, thanks for your reply

Oh yeah, and in A17 the zombies are skating and drifting around...I dont know what the cause is...just that if they are running(this happens to animals who want to kill something too). Basically, any time something wants to kill something and it runs after it..the run gets janked with drifts and strafing. I out ran a bear by just walking, due to the drifting and strafing lol. When they walk/move slow, they can path fine for the most part. This only happens if they pursue the target and run after it.

Are wolf of two size now? I was raiding a Pass-n-Gas and on roof I found 2 wolf of different size, or is that some new animal?

The bigger version scared the nutrition end products out of me on first sight, but turned out to be tamer than expected. It's the new dire wolf, the black version is gone :[

There was a school POI that had corner poles horizontally on the ground like a curb. So small, yet zombies pathed around it like there was a wall.

I got infected on day 1 when I started a new game two nights ago. It went up to infected 3 and I could not do anything. I wish these stupid devs would just fix everything already! Oh wait, I told Gazz and he fixed it in 5 mins. Will be in next release. ;)

Thats kind of the point of infections no? Hopefully the wink is sarcasm and not "dont worry guys faatal is here to make it easier for you"

b214 - Infections now buff loot chances. Go out and grab dem infectionz boiz.

Thats kind of the point of infections no? Hopefully the wink is sarcasm and not "dont worry guys faatal is here to make it easier for you"

b214 - Infections now buff loot chances. Go out and grab dem infectionz boiz.

Take it easy on the difficulty level. I know you're extremely fond of a hardcore experience, which is why you have your mod, but precisely because there are mods, devs can make the game a little bit more open to wider audiences (and I say this while being a fan of hard difficulties myself). A17 is harder. The infection thing mentioned is a bug. Sills said that it immediately reduced your stamina by 60 points, which is insane for a stage 1 infection. From what I gather that's supposed to be the third stage. That's already much more than what it does in A16.

Ah very nice ty. Yeah, I wouldn't want the game to get any more strenuous on CPUs than it is already. They didn't notice me at first. They were just doing it to be doing it lol, part of the group which were just haulin ass and haven't noticed me yet. Nice on the sidestepping, it sounds like that would be rather tax-free on cpu usage. Thanks for the info!

Archived