Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Hey devs, there's a fix for skyscrapers in RWG.

Also, I could suggest that it would be really nice if we had more than one sound effect for day and night, and for some more stuff like quest completion. It would be really cool if both the A16 and A17 sounds could play randomly.

I like change when it's adequate and common sense driven. I lack to see any of this in most of changes in A17 which replaced any effort by "perk it!".

Look you can't make everyone happy what you call changes that are not adequate and lack common sense i love , and maybe what i would change the next guy loves and so on

Just let the TFP do their thing they didn't dissapoint us until now (or at least me :D) so there is no reason not to trust them .

I like change when it's adequate and common sense driven. I lack to see any of this in most of changes in A17 which replaced any effort by "perk it!".

Strangely I like most of the changes, for example the perk change and the farming change. And I even tried to make a mod in A16 that changed farming similar to what A17 has now. So I think the changes are very much common sense driven. If you don't think so it is your common sense against mine :smile-new:

Don't get me wrong, I see advantages AND disadvantages to the changes. For me the advantages wheigh more, but part of that is just personal preference.

That you only see disadvantages, well, maybe your view on this is too narrow, maybe you only look at it from your own angle of how you like to play the game.

IIRC one of the considerations for changing farming was performance. In A16 there were serious performance issues on servers related to farming. If I understand it correctly, the game no longer has to do the same number of block calculations every time someone harvests their farm. Or maybe it was just a happy accident.

I believe the real reason for the harvesting change was so that buffs could be more easily applied (ie, perk to get higher yield).

Also, I could suggest that it would be really nice if we had more than one sound effect for day and night, and for some more stuff like quest completion. It would be really cool if both the A16 and A17 sounds could play randomly.

I suspect the devs already know how to bring back skyscrapers... pretty sure they've just disabled it temporarily until the new RWG system is in a more complete state.

Is there a way to change the XP gained by chopping tree, mining, looting, etc. in the XML files? If not, why??? And is there a way to make it give something else than XP, like perk level or something?

Yes, there is. Search for the string "Exp" in the xml files and you will find values to adjust, for example in materials.xml and items.xml

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect the devs already know how to bring back skyscrapers... pretty sure they've just disabled it temporarily until the new RWG system is in a more complete state.

Fataal said to his knowledge they were not disabled on purpose. Looks more like a bug.

Strangely I like most of the changes, for example the perk change and the farming change. And I even tried to make a mod in A16 that changed farming similar to what A17 has now. So I think the changes are very much common sense driven. If you don't think so it is your common sense against mine :smile-new:

Don't get me wrong, I see advantages AND disadvantages to the changes. For me the advantages wheigh more, but part of that is just personal preference.

That you only see disadvantages, well, maybe your view on this is too narrow, maybe you only look at it from your own angle of how you like to play the game.

Agreed. I think most of the changes make a fair bit of sense and the remaining issues with them are mostly about small balance tweaks, such as reducing the level gating on attributes, and bug fixes such as shivs currently being better than the higher tier knives for butchery. (I hadn't been sure of that, but had suspicions...which someone else has also brought up)

Oh, and on that topic, whoever noticed that you get less meat from power-attacking an animal corpse, you're not delicately and carefully butchering it when you do that. You're hacking like a maniac. You should get less usable meat, just like someone using an inferior weapon would.

I don't like

1. Not being able to harvest with the E button.

2. Not being able to upgrade to stainless steel anymore.

3. The buggy controls with the Gyrocopter. Everytime I start the game i have to reset my controls because the game reverts to the default settings. There should be separate controls for the Gyrocopter. It needs a Pitch and Yaw control because it is a flying machine.

4. The encumbrance system that makes me zombie bait. I always seem to be encumbered even when I have almost nothing in my inventory.

5. The zombies that spawn out of thin air now.

6. How headshots are not lethal and you can't blow zombies heads off anymore (that used to be one of the most fun things in the game).

7. How slow vehicles and pretty much every last thing I do in the game is. I feel like just another Zombie playing the game now.

8. The house layouts. Every house has a basement trap with water you can't get out of unless you use god mode and fly out of. I liked the old house layout much better. How can there be water in every basement? Why does every house even have a basement?

10. Many of the items have no description.

11. The 1-6 quality levels of the items and only 1 for others. Before I could strive to get better items, now it's just blah. No challenge here.

12. WAY WAY too many blueprints. Before there were a lot and once you used them you just ignored picking them up again, now there are just too many to deal with and you need them over and over. You guys just made the whole thing worse. Now I need 100 chests just for blueprints.

13. Night Vision Goggles are useless. Now they just make a weird tint but don't make anything near real night vision like something you might be able to see with.

Yea but this doesn't necessarily mean that they can jump over things any better. Well I guess we have to wait and see! I hope to see zombies that can jump towards you from a distance! That would be super creepy! They could make a sound right before they jump and then bang, they are in the air headed toowards you!

So Awesome that something I mentioned a month ago is in the game!! Jumping spider zombies are soo good!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like

1. Not being able to harvest with the E button.

2. Not being able to upgrade to stainless steel anymore.

3. The buggy controls with the Gyrocopter. Everytime I start the game i have to reset my controls because the game reverts to the default settings. There should be separate controls for the Gyrocopter. It needs a Pitch and Yaw control because it is a flying machine.

4. The encumbrance system that makes me zombie bait. I always seem to be encumbered even when I have almost nothing in my inventory.

5. The zombies that spawn out of thin air now.

6. How headshots are not lethal and you can't blow zombies heads off anymore (that used to be one of the most fun things in the game).

7. How slow vehicles and pretty much every last thing I do in the game is. I feel like just another Zombie playing the game now.

8. The house layouts. Every house has a basement trap with water you can't get out of unless you use god mode and fly out of. I liked the old house layout much better. How can there be water in every basement? Why does every house even have a basement?

10. Many of the items have no description.

11. The 1-6 quality levels of the items and only 1 for others. Before I could strive to get better items, now it's just blah. No challenge here.

12. WAY WAY too many blueprints. Before there were a lot and once you used them you just ignored picking them up again, now there are just too many to deal with and you need them over and over. You guys just made the whole thing worse. Now I need 100 chests just for blueprints.

13. Night Vision Goggles are useless. Now they just make a weird tint but don't make anything near real night vision like something you might be able to see with.

Why did they take out zombie decapitation out??

I don't like

Most are related to the experimental nature of the build which is buggy, for the rest there are perks to not get encumbered, to have more headshot damage and blow heads off etc. The blueprints and other systems are still work in progress until a stable build comes out.

Why did they take out zombie decapitation out??

I blew off many zombie heads with arrows so its not taken out, you just need the proper perk.

I haven't noticed any limbs coming off zombies yet, though thought it was because I have not had any decent guns or melee weapons yet.

Please don't tell me we have no dismemberment now ?????

Really hope alpha 17 brings this back and also Skycrappers back to RWG. I notice they take features away often that they once were really proud of and excited for. And then to don't see them anymore. I know things change of course just seem like we've been in alpha for years.:indecisiveness:

Haha, got to love reddit :biggrin-new: To bad he didn't tell ppl, that there's a good chance they will get placed wrong at times, and the building will crumble and fall, bringing their rigs to their knees for 5-15minutes pending on how bad it got placed.

I hope ppl don't actually bring them in, unless they are actually just testing the new stuff out, and not trying to play an actual game.

I really miss the old books aswell. The prospect of choosing & controlling everything regarding progression and knowledge is just something I like way less than actually mixing up choosen progression with random new crafting skills. Some games it took you a while to be able to make a minibike, while sometimes you could actually go straight ahead collecting all the needed parts because you found it in the first few days.

Also, not progressing in specific branches by having a global "level" that grants skills points you can spend anywhere is... bad in my book. Right now, only zombies do give decent xp, so you basically farm zombies if you want to unlock a specific perk, even if it has nothing to do with fighting, like... cooking. But who knows, that last zombie might just have been a cook and you absorbed his energy in a way...

But even if you balance the xp gains from the different actions, it would still be pretty immersion-breaking. Let's just shoot down zombies with a bow until we find a sledgehammer, and invest all those points in melee attributes/perks to be amazing right away... Pulling the bow is better than bodybuilding !

Sarcasm apart, if those two things get fixed, I think i'll be in for a treat for a loooong time. Rest is pretty good, even though AI is probably too one-sided, but I think they are already working on it.

Would be cool to see you on one of the QAtesters streams, even if you don't commentate ;)

Either way, thank you and the other testers for all the work you do.

They just did one for B208. Twigg, Dollie, Kumquat, and Hated all joined the same server and streamed for several hours (some more than others). They should have VODs of the streams on their twitch channels. I know Hated did as I watched part of it the next day.

Edit - damn. My reading comprehension is poor. I second the request for Joe to be in the next stream.

Archived