Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

That takes us back to the "we'll rely on modders to expand upon the idea" argument I had in another thread. Its awesome for us to have this system yes. It will spark some great ideas and mods, but how fair is it to the average player that that is the answer to all of their issues.

No, that takes us back to "Some like it, some don't". The DON'Ts have to mod, the others not.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

here's an option. Sure you find lots of weapons, lose the incentive to go out and get more. ok, for vanilla if that is what they want, so be it, but what if every time you repped your weapon, it's durability permanently went down. Eventually to the point where you want a newer one to fit your mods into?

wonder if this can be modded in.

here's an option. Sure you find lots of weapons, lose the incentive to go out and get more. ok, for vanilla if that is what they want, so be it, but what if every time you repped your weapon, it's durability permanently went down. Eventually to the point where you want a newer one to fit your mods into?

I like this idea alot.

Since the number of Mod slots is dependent on the Quality of the weapon, could we reduce the "active mod slots" of the weapon, once it drops below a certain durability ?

So I really like my AK, but once it drops from 5->>>>4, I lose my scope, or my spring, or something.

This is, so far, my only real complaint with A17. The durability system has been nerfed out of existence. If the RNG gods give me that nice lvl 5 or 6 gun on day 5. That's it. I'm done looking for guns because it will NEVER break. I will never need to replace it. I can repair it forever. I like the old 1-600 system for quality and repairing permanently lowering that quality. I hope they go back to that type of system with the quality also at least slightly affecting damage even with no mods. It would really help with progression feeling like ....well progression.

Early game has no actual feel of progression. Ooh I got a lvl 2 gun. So what? It doesn't do any more damage and I can't make mods yet so the only real difference is the pretty 2 underneath the different colored bar. Same with tools.

I also really wanted farming to get more complicated not less. Just because the skill system is in place now doesn't mean it has to be the ONLY way things get better. Fertilizer could have still been a part of the process. And, when it is fixed, water could have become part of the farming process. If you want a farm you should have to work at it instead of this plant and forget type thing. Hope that gets a new look at later in development.

So what was that? Three things when I said I only had one? Lol

All that aside, I love the new Zombie AI and am having a blast playing so I'm willing to wait and see on the few things I don't like.

Edit: Almost forgot. Player bags need to stay around a bit longer. Died 10 in game minutes before night and my bag went poof at 5:20AM the next morning. There was zero chance I was getting that bag back.

Edited by Gnomaana (see edit history)
I like this idea alot.

Since the number of Mod slots is dependent on the Quality of the weapon, could we reduce the "active mod slots" of the weapon, once it drops below a certain durability ?

So I really like my AK, but once it drops from 5->>>>4, I lose my scope, or my spring, or something.

Seems artificial. If we're going to do that, go back to pins and springs, aka gun parts. I don't mind a gun not degrading; yes, they need maintenance, but for the most part, stay pretty damn resilient. No, I think the proper solution is bullets. Which, from MY play experience, they've done.

I love a lot of features recently introduced to the game, like recycling arrows, using stones for distraction (finally) and a lot of new things. However i still cant play online, also the melee system needs some refining, like weapons being capable of hitting multiple enemies at once, even with the light attack.

Can someone truly confirm that perks unlocking crafting stuff are somewhat broken??? Is there any fix for that?? I have all my xml broken and cant craft: Chemistry station, table saw, also noticed that bandolier cannot be crafted even with tier 3 yeah, science. There might be more problems tho...

Wonder if adding a few more options in the Game Options -> Block Durability might be a win?

Right now it offers 25, 50, 100 & 200% (I think). Add in 125, 150, 175. Heck maybe even 225, 250.

This is coming from dev comments on what the Difficulty changes, which I think was just Damage Player does & Damage Z's do to Players.

Point would be, maybe, that those that like to build early on would have a pretty focused option to make that a bit more doable, and could notch it back to keep the pressure on.

Just a thought :)

Edit: damn it. I wouldn't want this to effect boulders, dirt, etc., and I have no idea if it does or not...

Edited by FileMachete (see edit history)

Except for the real bugs, I think people are complaining too much! The level of crying is too damn high!

My real concern is about the level up process.

I think A17 is an amazing update but I don't like the idea of "zombie hunt game" and this alpha looks like that. Snoman wrote a post about approaching that matter on page 2836 (post #42534) and I replayed two pages after (post #42570).

Everyone use TWD as reference and zombie killing in the show only occurs when is really necessary. I started to play the game at A14, and since A16 I’ve been seen this movement towards “zombie hunt game” and I don’t like it.

I thought 7DtD was a survival/constructing game (the real reason I love this game so much!), so the main activity to obtain XP should not be killing zombies.

I want to know the opinion of MM, Roland, Gaaz, Faatal and the rest of TFP team.

Except for the real bugs, I think people are complaining too much! The level of crying is too damn high!

I think A17 is an amazing update but I don't like the idea of "zombie hunt game" and this alpha looks like that. Snoman wrote a post about approaching that matter on page 2836 (post #42534) and I replayed two pages after (post #42570).

Everyone use TWD as reference and zombie killing in the show only occurs when is really necessary. I started to play the game at A14, and since A16 I’ve been seen this movement towards “zombie hunt game” and I don’t like it.

I thought 7DtD was a survival/constructing game (the real reason I love this game so much!), so the main activity to obtain XP should not be killing zombies.

I want to know the opinion of MM, Roland, Gaaz, Faatal and the rest of TFP team.

you have it, it's called the game you are playing

If the "quality" of the gun does not matter then why even have the 1-6 system at all? All the guns have the same damage output. At least with the gun part system your gun actually got better. What I don't understand is why people think we can't have the old part system AND mods? There is no real progression. Once I get a gun... That's it. The only way to improve it is with mods and they don't do to much anyway. The whole system feels dumbed down. I know that when I open a safe or a create a full gun will be in there. After that I just need to craft repair kits and then there is no longer an incentive to loot. I can get plenty of guns from a small store or house or (rather game-breakingly) craft them. So what's the point of even going into the new POIs? If the devs are set into this unrewarding (imo) system then I desperately hope someone mods the A16 system into A17 with weapon mod capability. Because, right now there's really no motivation to play. Crafting bases is pointless and so is looting. If I wanna grind zombies I can just play Left4Dead or Cod Zombies.

The main activity can easily be survival and constructing whilst avoiding zombies, if people just stopped farming zombies on this mad quest to get to the highest level possible in the shortest amount of time - it's like everyone wants end game by day 3 or something. I've found by concentrating on anything but killing zombies unless I'm bored, or they're getting in the way etc then I'm levelling slower and actually able to concentrate on farming, and building a horde base, looting, and exploring the new dungeon POI's etc.

It's coming up to day 28 and i'm only level 45 in my game at the moment. Got a reinforced concrete horde base surrounded by spikes and barbed wire. Also got a crafting/living type base with fewer defences for day to day stuff.

you have it, it's called the game you are playing

No, it's not. If you want to level up at least 1lv per day, especially in early game, you only can do that properly by killing zeds. Harvesting end other activities give you little XP (not enough to gain 1level/day), but the easiest zed gives 700 XP per kill, so if you want to construct better things and obtain best gear you have to focus on killing first till you have enough level to made quality level goods.

That’s an inversion of logic! In the beginning we are weak, so killing zombies should not be the first/best option to level up.

Let me summarize. "You all are complaining too much......here is my complaint." Lol

• Like 1
Let me summarize. "You all are complaining too much......here is my complaint." Lol

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Well, Sir, you have a point.

In my defense, I just want to know if that will be the development's direction.

Anyway, I'll continue to play and kill zeds!

Keep up the good work, TFP!

I think that the current weapon level system is more "real life oriented". And I like it.

I mean, a single bullet of an AK47 will do the same damage if the rifle is old or brand new.

A brand new weapon tho gives you the chance to attach more gadgets, like silencers, lights... > MODS

I wish guns weren't as common as they are currently. I don't feel as special finding one after a few days. I've seen people find a few guns on day one! For multiplayer servers there was that rush to find a gun, not anymore. If you found one you would like you you had such an advantage. But know everyone will run around with a bunch!

Also i noted this before and Fattal didn't seem to know this bug. The random radiation zones that kill you quickly. I find them mainly in deserts. Anyone else experience this? update 199

Does anyone else finds million bird nests everywhere? I looted a house and found 12 nests around it. It's a bit too much.

well without lack of normal people around they dont have any threats so they can just make baby birds everywhere so no wonder there are so many.

Drop loot abundance to 50% for now, 25% once they get it fixed. You'll notice a massive drop of finding guns, etc. Heck, go into the options xml and change it to 10 (I'm assuming anything below 50% is bugged atm if their normal 25% is not seeming to work). There's stuff within their own options, no mods needed, to make this game more challenging.

As for needing other ways to lvl up other than zombies being main xp, I'm on the fence for that. I never went looking for zombies, did only a few POIs, mostly harvesting or crafting. By day 21, I was lvl 57 (it sucked because gamestage was inscreasing faster than I wanted) and I wasn't even looking to kill zombies. Mostly my zombies I killed where from the few POIs, the wandering hordes (most of them while I was crafting and building my base), BM horde, and the ones that walked up to my base. I don't feel like I have to go searching for zombies to level, I can do my harvesting, scavenging, crafting, building, exploring. XP seems to find me on its own. I've about 480 zombies killed from that alone, no looking for them. So I don't even focus on that, I focus on the rest of the aspects of the game, and the xp just comes naturally as you would expect. Now if you're going to try to hide from every zombie that comes your way, then I could see that being an issue. But I'm one to stand my ground, lol.

But the player base mostly loves it, who do you make your game for ?

You talked to a hundred people then and have a percent for me? I've seen a similar amount of people both for and against it, but that is a small sample size, so I don't claim to know the public's opinion, only my own.

I'd rather have mods make the guns more effective and varied. Ammo the limiter of constant use.

I also don't make these decisions. Owners/designers do. I just make stuff work. I have an opinion and voice it sometimes, but game companies are generally not democracies. Typically the employees who care about a feature and have an opinion may voice it and decision maker(s) may or may not listen to it or themselves or the public.

Before my employment here, as simply a player of A14-A16, I thought it made no sense, since I'm a gun owner and I don't have parts lying around. If I did, then almost none of these parts are interchangeable even across the same gun type, since different manufacturers have different specs on all these parts (AR15 a possible exception). In the end, I did not feel the need to complain to the world. I said whatever and kept on having fun as I absurdly filled my weapons chest with useless gun parts.

yeah, luckily I save up my ammo for BM days and just melee rest of the time. Have a stockpile of ammo for it. But thing is, even with all the saved ammo, I usually run out and have to restock and save for BM alone. I rarely use guns outside of BM hordes other than to head shot screamers before getting too close. Or to use on cops, ferals, radiated, etc. So few exceptions. And once they get their current mods out and working, I'm guessing they have plans for so many more. That will soon turn into trying to get the best ones. Once TFP actually starts saying they are nearing an end of features, then I'll look at everything more closely, but for now, while things are added, changed, removed, I can really only go along for the ride and enjoy it while I can.

Drop loot abundance to 50% for now, 25% once they get it fixed. You'll notice a massive drop of finding guns, etc. Heck, go into the options xml and change it to 10 (I'm assuming anything below 50% is bugged atm if their normal 25% is not seeming to work). There's stuff within their own options, no mods needed, to make this game more challenging.

As for needing other ways to lvl up other than zombies being main xp, I'm on the fence for that. I never went looking for zombies, did only a few POIs, mostly harvesting or crafting. By day 21, I was lvl 57 (it sucked because gamestage was inscreasing faster than I wanted) and I wasn't even looking to kill zombies. Mostly my zombies I killed where from the few POIs, the wandering hordes (most of them while I was crafting and building my base), BM horde, and the ones that walked up to my base. I don't feel like I have to go searching for zombies to level, I can do my harvesting, scavenging, crafting, building, exploring. XP seems to find me on its own. I've about 480 zombies killed from that alone, no looking for them. So I don't even focus on that, I focus on the rest of the aspects of the game, and the xp just comes naturally as you would expect. Now if you're going to try to hide from every zombie that comes your way, then I could see that being an issue. But I'm one to stand my ground, lol.

That's my point, wolffblood.

I play like you do. I don't "hunt zombies down". I only kill those who came towards me (all of them) and the game flows well for me too, but if you don't do that level up will be a major issue.

Harvest, build and base defense only are an instinctive form of playing the game (we play beyond that) and, in my opinion, that play style is the great appeal of the game, so concern me when development creates a situation harmful to that.