Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Don't know about radiation. Shaky wheels and other cosmetics is way down on my list.

*pssst* bandits! Hehe just kidding. Keep up the good work. The AI is crazy good! I was testing out feral wright damage on various blocks earlier, and had myself in a cube of concrete. Started to upgrade to steel while he was hitting on a block, and straight away switched to another non-upgraded block. Very nice.

I for one liked the granularity and mechanic of gun parts, and if they are not brought back then for the first time since alpha 5, I will find a mod to fix this ( in my opinion) glaring oversight.

It it not an oversight, since we intentionally removed it. I hated it and I don't think any of us are wanting to bring it back.

It it not an oversight, since we intentionally removed it. I hated it and I don't think any of us are wanting to bring it back.

So what's the point of looting now? You know once you find a gun safe you will have a stockpile of guns. I'll have to find a mod to fix this too. Maybe hold a poll to see what people want?

There is no challenge in guns anymore. Day one and I was drowning in guns. One of the reasons to loot was to find gun parts.

The new POIs are amazing, especially in Navezgane, I have a habit of going to Diersvill and taking over houses there. I just ran the Cleaner thingy and wiped all my saves, then started a new Creative game to finally explore and try out all of the new shiny things while we are still in experimental. Started by building my own big fancy modern house just outside of town near the West bridge, filled it's garage with one of each vehicle, then promptly ate the bridge on my first test drive of the jeep while trying to cross it...

I know this has come up before, remember Faatal saying that leveling them with the road is complicated somehow, but, aw. I am afraid of destroying every bridge when I try to cross it. I sincerely hope a solution to this arises, eventually. At first I had my garage one block high, level with the floor of house, but of course the same prob came up, I destroyed the driveway ramp going back into it(love the new garage door btw). My solution was to lower the garage floor to ground level, then use plate for the driveway and garage floor. It worked, no destroy, but the garage door didn't go down all the way and looked really nope. So then I dug up a block worth of dirt and put down concrete, that worked, but I get that funny gap between the dirt and block, still best solution so far, and if it bothers me too much I can border it with plates to cover that gap nicely.

Anyway, some notes on building/structures:

- The aforementioned jeep eating bridge problem.

- A 3x garage door and a nice new 5x garage door... and then a 4x drawbridge... are you trolling us?

- Why no able to flip doors or at least have a Left and Right version of each? Double doors become a nope, is there not a way to just mirror them instead of having a second set of geometry and texture?

- Diersvill houses are SO amazing, but then the sidewalk. Ugh, not only looks like crap and does not do the houses justice, but also acts funny if you try to build on top of it. I tried placing picket fence and it fell and broke itself. I solved by placing posts behind for it to anchor to, but that ended up distorting the sidewalk all irregularly, somehow making it look even worse. Had same problem when tried to place plates over sidewalk, which I was seriously about to do for the entirety of Diersvill. I miss the old sidewalk with a curb. Fancy houses like this would have a nice curb up in their hood. Where'd that go?

Bridges, doors, and sidewalks, oh my.

Yeah it's nit-picky, still gonna(continue to) play the F outta A17 regardless, and imagine most will resolve by A18, Beta, or Gold at least. Would however be nice to at least resolve bridges by stable release or peeps gonna be eatin up their bridges once they finally get their 4x4, will be an extreme moment of happy/sad. I'm glad I discovered it in creative, if I'da worked that hard in an actual game I'd be super annoyed. Maybe I will start a creative, fix all that manually, then save it and start my Nav games from then on with that save.

One last thing about bridges, and I honestly do not know if this was a bug or on purpose. One game I started in burnt biome, then when I crossed bridge near the Hotel it collapsed behind me as I ran across it, the entire thing. Thought maybe it was supposed to, for dramatic effect, and it was. But it left the river all janky and wonk-watered, with a plane of iron piles on it's bed, so maybe not.

So what's the point of looting now? You know once you find a gun safe you will have a stockpile of guns. I'll have to find a mod to fix this too. Maybe hold a poll to see what people want?

There is no challenge in guns anymore. Day one and I was drowning in guns. One of the reasons to loot was to find gun parts.

That is simple. I would make guns drop at 10% the rate they do now and/or only in the better loot containers, but not my call.

I'm not sure guns are a problem loot wise - I'm on day 22, and yes have a few guns, but i'm not drowning in them, it was also a good way to earn some money from the trader, though just enough to get a few needed items, I'm not rich from it. The guns i've been looting are low quality as well, and also ammo is becomming the problem as I still can't craft it, so looting is needed to keep getting ammo for horde nights. Also as oil isn't found too often, so repair kits to keep these low quality guns maintained is also something I want, so I'm looting for oil etc. Plus the chance to find a good quality one so I don't need to keep repairing.

Quick feedback:

(A17 b199 exp.) (windows dedi server) (default mode; default settings except days of 90 min.)

- the first week was a bit linear; we didnt have much choices, stuff to do

after starting with bows; we ended fightning with "compound bows" mostly.

- we didnt die during the first 7 days but we did 2x each during the first horde (day 7).

we were not prepared at all for some new attacks mode from them. it was quite fast. thanks the horde was "small"

- once we got level 20+iron tools (a bit past Day 8), we were able to progress quicker; have more fun all around

- by day 10 we had at least 750 feathers "in stock". Nests are now too easy to spot. Vultures are also giving tons of feathers.

besides, we had over 200 arrows each.

- reaching Day 13 night, food was never a problem. We had plenty of meat. Over 300 in stock.

- So far guns are last recourse stuff; we simply have no bullets, neither ways to made them.

During Days 12-13, we past level 30...up to level 32 (Day 13 evening)

- Day 13 late evening, we were surprised by a mini-horde with 1 vomiting cop and a "green radiation zombie" (always running) and a feral (white). we died, lost a backpack when they (zombies) died over our spikes.

we had no way to distance them "running" and they were simply eating our defenses like paper.

our defenses are to be redone for Day 14 night, although we still have lot of spikes all around

my guess is that we need to adapt even more. spend more time fortifying a base, than wandering around (exploring, hunting...).

@Argeos Yeah That's about how m friend and I fared. I am on day 14, just finished a little square iron room with spikes on the wall and 1 layer on the base, iron wall around that, same spike setup and cobblestone (since... soo much iron for walls and no concrete yet) wall around that (all 1 block deep). Going to layer a lot of spikes and barbed wire, iron bars on top with a tunnel entrance. Hopefully itll hold.

I've noticed the AI is really smart, and traps, when done deep enough, do the trick. But don't house in a large POI. We did it with a forge and a workbench that was in there. Sorta set it up with spikes on the outside and did some touching up, but they found a gap and barreled through like boiling water on warm butter. Had a swarm sprinting at us at night :( lol. Wound up spending 3k wood spiking the whole upper floor. They got in one more time at night, but the spikes slowed em enough for us to shoot from the bottom floor. Its a 2 story house with an attic, the bottom floor is sorta like a basement with a garage. I love the new ways they make us re-think strats!

Meh. After almost 4000 hours on this game (since A13) I'm actually feeling pretty bored with it all of a sudden.

They've eliminated any desire to try.

If you know your building efforts will fail, then where is the motivation to try.

If you know you'll be killed by a horde of vultures that emerge from nowhere, then again, why try.

If we start accepting death as inevitable, then we've all lost something.

I've lost a reason to play.

I set Zombies to Always Walk in order to be able to defend my base, but in so doing I lost any challenge associated with building. I might as well set my storage boxes and forges in an open field now, coz Always Walk is zero challenge to defend a base.

A survival game needs to be survivable.

Difficult, Yes, most definitely, but survivable if care is taken.

But a game that defeats all your efforts has defeated its own purpose for being.

I can't get invested in a game if it rips apart any sense of progress.

First things first: very happy with the new style of 7 Days to Die - especially the difficulty. Can't wait to play with friends once stable comes out.

Secondly: perhaps this has already been mentioned, but when will a new build be up-and-running? Want to start a new game :) but perhaps the new build will be out soon. Hope you guys can help!

Meh. After almost 4000 hours on this game (since A13) I'm actually feeling pretty bored with it all of a sudden.

If you know your building efforts will fail, then where is the motivation to try.

If you know you'll be killed by a horde of vultures that emerge from nowhere, then again, why try.

I set Zombies to Always Walk in order to be able to defend my base, but in so doing I lost any challenge associated with building. I might as well set my storage boxes and forges in an open field now, coz Always Walk is zero challenge to defend a base.

But a game that defeats all your efforts has defeated its own purpose for being.

If it's too easy with Always Walk on then why don't you just turn it off?? You can't complain that it's boring if you are the one that is making it boring through your options. Let them come and break your base! Repair it! If there's no challenge of course it won't be fun.

Remember A16? Where you had a forge up-and-running by the end of the 1st day? And had iron tools on day 2? Steel tools probably around day 5-6? Where you could relatively quickly build bases which were completely impenetrable by zombies, probably by the mid of the 2nd week?

And you were talking about motivation to play..?

You were talking about 'surviving' a survival game? What's surviving without dying? Merely existing..

A player that defeats all the efforts of the game has defeated said game, and is done with said game.

A16 was way too easy on standard difficulty. A17 is spot on, on standard difficulty.

There is no real way to mod it back to what it was before unfortunately because they decided to actually remove the capability of both the gun part system as well as the action exp you used to get from using the tools and weapons.

This new system is entirely watered down. I can set guns to 0.05 percent and it still wont help. Because now you're removing a reward from players. And even if you DID that the second someone finds a level 3 or 5 gun the chase is over. Before you had to find 4 pieces, each at different quality and stats and as time wore on you assembled your weapon, made it better.

In my opinion when they removed that they removed a huge mini game in and of itself. In an Alpha that promotes difficulty, gating and slowing down progression it boggles my mind that the overall tools and weapons system got so stripped down they became practically the most boring aspect of the very same Alpha.

Workbench is level nada if you use someone else's...

Yes you can use workbenches that you find ... then the problem is acid to craft wheels, that is very rare at the moment.

... and I still have not found a pair of wheels in any garage, maybe only unlucky rng.

We need more wheels!! :roll:

But the player base mostly loves it, who do you make your game for ?

The owners obviously make the game for themselves, to fulfill their vision. A game can't be developed by polling the community about each thing. I'm also not sure where this "player base mostly loves it" comes from. The ones that dislike the change are obviously more vocal.

FYI regarding more then one GPU, DX11 Crossfire works if you select Exclusive fullscreen AND Unity Selection Screen (like it did before but you had to use command line) however "AFR friendly" profiles now suffers from the good ol' seizures effect :( and "compatible AFR" ones from the stuttering effect so Crossfire atm is no longer viable for 7D2D.

I have to agree on the gun issue. Really, it's the lack of a quality system and necessity to loot on top of that. The way things are currently- there's very little reason for me to even loot. I played a game for 49 game days and by day 35 I was already completely established without much need to loot beyond that. I got bored and started a new game. You can make practically everything you need and you're buried knee deep in guns. You can just run around and wrench all part-related things you might want on cars, signs, lights, etc scattered throughout -no real 'need' to ever step foot in a POI after you got your essentials. That part of the game is kinda gone, tbh.

The quality system gave you a reason to go and find better parts. Now, once you've found gun, clothing, tools, etc - they are all the same. . The mods do help give some incentive - but the base items are all the same.

Most of the junk you actually need to loot such as brass is just found in garbage bags or items scattered throughout that can be disassembled.

I had really hoped they were going more towards the direction where there were certain valuable items that could only be found in specific, dangerous locations. Give each location in the game a greater purpose. I would have liked them to have done things like different grades of weapons. You could find a common shotgun or common varmit rifle or small caliber pistol in many homes, sure. But then military grade weapons - (or higher quality versions of the same guns, parts, attachments or even mods) found in police stations, military bases, with more dangerous mobs within them. What happened to the rare "Legendary" items?

But a shotgun is just a shotgun in this game - none of them have any quality difference whatsoever. They are practically falling from the sky. On my first game I had an entire storage box just filled with guns, trader wouldn't buy anymore - and at that point - I just started scrapping them. Yep - scrapping weapons in a survival game...

I get it's experimental and I'm sure there's not a lot of balance in it - but even if you lower the loot% - so that you get them less frequently. It doesn't change the core problem in that there's seemingly less and less reason to loot in this game and besides durability no difference is to be found within each one you find. With the quality system, part of the drive was to improve every item you had. So you kept going out and trying to get better and better parts to get that last bit of performance out of the weapon. Again, mods do help, but it's not the same and as far as I can tell mods are found in just the same few loot container types most frequently. Not near enough variety.

I thought with the removal of zombies having loot that for sure we'd finally feel a need to have to loot more - but that's far from the case in A17. A player can quite easily survive this game rarely ever stepping foot inside a POI. Everything you need is within arms reach to become self-sustaining. At this stage, my only real motivation to even loot the POIS is just to sight see the new designs and traps..

The primary focus on this particular build of 7DTD reminds me of when I first started playing 7DTD before it became really good. When there was only a relatively tiny Navezgane and you'd find weapons ready to go in mail boxes on your first day and just start blasting zombies like in an arcade game or something. This version is closer to that early prototype in gameplay in this particualr way than any other Alpha since. There's a lot more focus on just shooting zombies over and over - which is fine - I dig doing that - but, it seems that the gameplay is too heavily focused towards doing that and not enough of the other things that put this game over the top awesome - building, crafting and survival. Those things are still fun in this game, but by the time you get there - you've already wasted so many zombies, have so much firepower and are so OP due to the perks that I don't feel the desire to do any grand builds.

Sure, but money talks. Make a poll to see what people prefer. Even if u didnt like it, you could just ignore the parts and just pick up complete weapons. Iirc there was almost no penalty to repair weps lategame.

You are not the player base. I don’t care that gun parts are gone. I am also not the player base.

The owners obviously make the game for themselves, to fulfill their vision. A game can't be developed by polling the community about each thing. I'm also not sure where this "player base mostly loves it" comes from. The ones that dislike the change are obviously more vocal.

^ This.

If one would act according to a subjective 'majority', one could end up with a substantial mess in which no-one is happy.

Look at the UK for example.

Edit; this doesn't mean that I'm not in favor of lowering the drop rate of guns. By all means, that's what's probably needed.

The only concern with this new version, IMHO, is a level rise too fast.

And levelling up means meeting zombies, let's say, a little bit too aggressive early in the game...

Also the quests become too quickly harder.

So I multiplied the levelling time by two (you have to kill twice more zombies). However, because I am curious to test different skills, I now receive 4 points per level.

You should really test that.

In the progession.xml file, just change one of the first lines to get that:

<[color=#990000]level[/color] [color=#990000]skill_points_per_level[/color]="[color=black][b]4[/b][/color]" [color=#990000]experience_multiplier[/color]="[color=black][b]1.0149[/b][/color]" [color=#990000]exp_to_level[/color]="[color=black][b]20000[/b][/color]" [color=#990000]max_level[/color]="[color=black][b]300[/b][/color]">

Hope my English is understandable enough.:confusion:

Dude, it's BS, you suck (quoting myself allows me to be extremly nasty...)

Well, the 4 points were a stupid idea. TFP made a good choice and I should have trust them... However, slowing down the levelling up is pretty fine : ferals came later and this gave me some more time to be prepared. But I know it will be balanced so let's play now with the native settings.

Just one thing: players who complain that the game is too hard or too easy would be welcome to communicate their settings: Difficulty (X / 6), duration of a day, loot rate, zombie speed day and night, etc. .

Without this, we can hardly discuss their concerns...

And I take the opportunity to say that I love this alpha, that I am amazed by the work done and extremely grateful for the pleasure that is offered to me.

That is simple. I would make guns drop at 10% the rate they do now and/or only in the better loot containers, but not my call.

Agree, I think that we need more mods than weapons.

And buff the crossbow: was my A16 favorite weapon but with A17 dps is way too low compared to compound or even normal wooden bow.

Archived