Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

My son and I just had a weird problem. I would report it but I'm not sure how to even describe it properly. It was like our two clients went completely out of sync. I died on horde night and spawned back up on top of our building behind him. He kept asking me where I was and I jumped up and down and said "RIGHT Behind you." He asked if I was sure I wasn't down on the next level and I said yes. I watched him aim his rifle down off the ledge. Shoot. And I fell over dead. Lol

Seems to be a desync issue, caused by major latency/netcoding(?) issues. Was it a lan game? May want to reboot your networking if so. Maybe do a game file verification / cleanup with the launcher tool.

Im loving A17 but Ive some balance suggestions

1 - bicycle/minibike

I would make minibike available little bit later on. By the time you can craft a bicycle if you wait like 3-4 more levels you can craft a mini bike, so the bicycle is kinda useless. Specially considering we cant get acid super easily, so I totally skipped it for 1-2 days to save resources to craft a mini bike instead. If you push minibike for more 5-10 levels would be a much closer decision between wait or get a bicycle.

2 - weapons drops

You clear a dungeon to the fat loot room or a shotgun messiah and you get way too much weapons. It's broken at this point, we're talking about 4-5 weapons in 1 single poi. I get it TFP wanted to make feel rewarding beat those ferals before the loot, but its over the top. TFP made the game harder at first glance but it gets easy really fast due to amount of weapons you can get super fast.

3 - weapon mods

To craft first tier of them kinda early on you need to spec pretty heavily on it, so I would suggest to have the most simple ones (like add a flashlight) at science level 1.

4 - heavy armor

150 hp + steel armor + health regen + pain resistance (? cant recall the perk name) we get way too tank. we can fight wandering hordes at night gs +100 without break a sweat. yeah the stam and movement drawbacks are a great idea, but still pretty op atm.

5 - tools levels

I could be wrong but it seems we dont have that many mods for our tools, so virtually a tool level 3 and a tool level 6 are the same. I would rather see a slightly damage increase and less mod slots overall. maybe something like lvl 5 has 2, level 6 has 3 slots but damage increases 1 through 4. lvl 4 without mod slots and lvl 5 unmodded would have same damage so lvl 5-6 would have the advantage of mod slots.

6 - harvesting

Iron pickaxe is more efficient than steel pickaxe. iron one you can power attack super fast while the steel is slow as F. So when you get a higher tier tool, it should perform better. Also the amount of resources you get its almost the same, I was harvesting 47 iron from boulders, got a steel pickaxe and it takes more time to harvest 49. so nerf one or buff the other, I dont have a preference.

Another thing about harvesting is wood, depending the tree hp its better power attack or basic attack which doesnt make a lot of sense. So you guys (TFP) need to decide which one harvest more, doesnt matter if the tree has 900 or 1200 hp, one attack should give me more resources than the other. Not like, oh its 900 tree I should do basic attacks, a 1200 tree I should power attack type of thing.

Personally I would make basic attacks always give more resources and power attacks give less but you destroy boulder/tree faster. It's basically I cut this tree carefully and slowly I get more wood than if I go psycho-crazy mode to put it down as fast as possible.

A side note, make the moaning while power attacking stuff less frequent, it was fun at the start but after 50 hours it gets super annoying.

im sorry for the WoT

No no no no!!!!!!

The random wepon parts was the worst most nonsensical system ever.

Guns don't go bad. Gun parts are never stored separately. Parts are not interchangeable unless the guns are the exact same make and model.

I agree. This was my favorite change for A17! I wasted so much storage space with useless parts; it was so tedious!

The only thing I miss from A16 is having some skills level from use. It's still one of the less common systems in RPGs, and it makes growth feel more natural. I wish there were a middleground between the A16 and A17 skill trees, because there's a lot I like about the new one.

Is mother load going to get a buff? Steel fire axe with mother load at max level using a power attack on a tree only gets 20 wood. Even if mods get put into the game that give 50 or even 100 percent more harvest along with what the perk would give that only makes it 30 or 40 wood.. that still seems insanely underpowered for a max level perk with a tool you either buy or unlock at level 60.

Seems to be a desync issue, caused by major latency/netcoding(?) issues. Was it a lan game? May want to reboot your networking if so. Maybe do a game file verification / cleanup with the launcher tool.

No, it was dedicated server but I was hearing some sound issues from his side on discord around same time. His internet sucks compared to mine so that may have played a part. Restarted the server and it had kept all my "cleanup"(i.e. I got rid of our traps.) but reset the time to 1AM and gave us another horde. It wasn't pretty. Lol.

Yeah but I meant REALLY low level. It's a bicycle. I could walk outside my door right now and find 10 of them within 300 yards.

The problem I see is that tires now need acid and some sort of Science perk that you don't get for many levels.

I was also hoping bikes would be a Level 1-20 transportation, faster then running but not like a minibike. made with parts you can find and 1 perk in Intellect.

it would be scrapable but not sellable, you could trade it or lock it like a mini and put a basket, bell, light using magneto that would go dark when you stopped pedaling.

The problem I see is that tires now need acid and some sort of Science perk that you don't get for many levels.

I was also hoping bikes would be a Level 1-20 transportation, faster then running but not like a minibike. made with parts you can find and 1 perk in Intellect.

it would be scrapable but not sellable, you could trade it or lock it like a mini and put a basket, bell, light using magneto that would go dark when you stopped pedaling.

Agreed. And as far as tires go, well sure gate the fancy ones all you want, but don't think we wouldn't be hillbilly engineering the crap out of some alternatives :)

A piece of string lets you draw a perfect circle, we have wood and oil and all those destroyed buildings for a piece of rebar for an axle. Cloth & leather & duct tape if wanted some padding for any real rims we find.

Not to mention this video proof 'we don't need no stinking tires!' :)

What about ps4 i love the game but with bluescreens happening after loading an old save and in new saves it makes it impossible to wanna keep playing we spent money to play the game so we should at least hopefully expect the same love as the PC players its a very good game that has potential and in my opinion it could be great even if you dislike the console versions at least finish what you started please :)

someone give him the phone number for Telltale... and the internet.

Yeah but I meant REALLY low level. It's a bicycle. I could walk outside my door right now and find 10 of them within 300 yards.

I too believe that bicycle crafting at level 30 is fine. But we should found one workable, maybe with missing wheels or handle sitting outside somewhere which we can finish without reaching level 30 itself.

I too believe that bicycle crafting at level 30 is fine. But we should found one workable, maybe with missing wheels or handle sitting outside somewhere which we can finish without reaching level 30 itself.

really? i think my 15 year old could put a bicycle together tomorrow, level 30 is absurd. but its their game and we can mod it different if we want.

But can your 15 year old hand-craft tires and such? I do think we should be able to find bike parts / bikes, although,.

I think anyone over 5 can pick one up off the street, but that only a chemist could scrap a rubber tire into plastic...

...seems dumb, all those tires around and the only place you can find them as loot, is in garage boxes.

No no no no!!!!!!

The random wepon parts was the worst most nonsensical system ever.

Guns don't go bad. Gun parts are never stored separately. Parts are not interchangeable unless the guns are the exact same make and model.

Wrong.

Guns do go bad/wear out. Riflings wear down, firing pins bend or wear down, springs give out, seals fail, hinges,slides,and receivers wear out. All in all just carrying one around and not cleaning it will cause failure.

I for one liked the granularity and mechanic of gun parts, and if they are not brought back then for the first time since alpha 5, I will find a mod to fix this ( in my opinion) glaring oversight.

Wrong.

Guns do go bad/wear out. Riflings wear down, firing pins bend or wear down, springs give out, seals fail, hinges,slides,and receivers wear out. All in all just carrying one around and not cleaning it will cause failure.

I for one liked the granularity and mechanic of gun parts, and if they are not brought back then for the first time since alpha 5, I will find a mod to fix this ( in my opinion) glaring oversight.

There's an awful lot of over a hundred year old guns out there being fired on ranges everyday...... A bit of string, some cloth/water and some animal fat will maintain a rifle for a long long long time.

There's an awful lot of over a hundred year old guns out there being fired on ranges everyday...... A bit of string, some cloth/water and some animal fat will maintain a rifle for a long long long time.

Yeah, I mean if you never clean/oil/etc your pieces they will break down. or if you overheat the barrel. But really, is breaking down every part of every gun onto a mickey-mouse mat really something we want to do in this game? Not knocking what you like, but I will quickly uninstall if all of that needs to be done. If I wanna do that, Ill download a gun break-down simulator, or do it to my own lol. Besides, is there really a 31/600 quality AK-47 receiver? or 600 different qualities at that?

Don't know about radiation. Shaky wheels and other cosmetics is way down on my list.

*pssst* bandits! Hehe just kidding. Keep up the good work. The AI is crazy good! I was testing out feral wright damage on various blocks earlier, and had myself in a cube of concrete. Started to upgrade to steel while he was hitting on a block, and straight away switched to another non-upgraded block. Very nice.

Archived