Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

ok Im reading it but I just dont get it

can someone show me a way to add an xpath mod that will change this line in items.xml

<!-- jar from cooking food <property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/> -->

to this

<property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/>

- - - Updated - - -

ya I know how to edit the xml directally but im trying to figure out who to do it with xpath

I doubt you can remove the comment brackets (<!-- -->). But you can simply add another line before it that says "<property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/>". Same effect.

Use insertafter and target the previous line with the xpath.

ok Im reading it but I just dont get it

can someone show me a way to add an xpath mod that will change this line in items.xml

<!-- jar from cooking food <property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/> -->

to this

- - - Updated - - -

ya I know how to edit the xml directally but im trying to figure out who to do it with xpath

First create Mods folder in root directory (steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die). Then create a dir for your mod. Inside you should have "ModInfo.xml" file and "Config" folder. Inside the Config folder make "items.xml" file (the name of the file must match the name of the file you wish to modify.

Here is the directory structure:

steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die
├── Mods
│      └── TestMod
│             ├── Config
│             │      └── items.xml
│             └── ModInfo.xml

Here is the contents of ModInfo.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<xml>
   <ModInfo>
       <Name value="Name of the mod" />
       <Description value="Description" />
       <Author value="Your name" />
       <Version value="1.0" />
       <Website value="your website" />
   </ModInfo>
</xml>

Here is the contents of items.xml file:

<configs>
   <append xpath="/items/item[@name='foodCornOnTheCob']/property[@class='Action0']">
   </append>
</configs>

I've not tested it but it should work

So going through XMLs and playing game this week I still have not found the answer to the brass shortage problem. You have not added it as a minded resource (copper + zinc). And it's not found in any reasonable quantities in the world. With the default size of the map smaller than A16 this will definitely be an issue.

Few more things related to mining resources:

- Was mining in the desert made extremely difficult and dangerous for a reason? SI for sand is very small.

- Why are all ores now look the same? Are those temp textures or intentional?

- Auger still gives way more resources comparing to pickaxe. Any reason to even use pickaxe after finding/crafting auger?

So going through XMLs and playing game this week I still have not found the answer to the brass shortage problem. You have not added it as a minded resource (copper + zinc). And it's not found in any reasonable quantities in the world. With the default size of the map smaller than A16 this will definitely be an issue.

Few more things related to mining resources:

- Was mining in the desert made extremely difficult and dangerous for a reason? SI for sand is very small.

- Why are all ores now look the same? Are those temp textures or intentional?

- Auger still gives way more resources comparing to pickaxe. Any reason to even use pickaxe after finding/crafting auger?

You can make steel bullet casings now.

You can make steel bullet casings now.

Ohhh, thank you for that! I'm just at that point where I have my forge and workbench going (Day 11) so very close to making casings. I probably would have stumbled on it eventually, but this is very good to hear! Brass is so A16 anyways.

Ohhh, thank you for that! I'm just at that point where I have my forge and workbench going (Day 11) so very close to making casings. I probably would have stumbled on it eventually, but this is very good to hear! Brass is so A16 anyways.

No problem :)

Note: Steel casings have a higher durability cost on the weapon, it will degrade faster.

Any intentions to work on horde night spawning? I can edit the XML, sure, but my first horde night with a friend stopped spawning any zombies after 11pm... zero spawns after that. Had to spawn in some packs just to have things to kill lol.

Guppy made an awesome modlet for just that very thing

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94557-MODLET-Blood-Moon-Trickle

Guppy made an awesome modlet for just that very thing

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94557-MODLET-Blood-Moon-Trickle

Yeah that's why I said I can edit the XMLs, thanks for the link though :) I just feel as if it should be a standard thing in the game *shrug*. I see that complaint a lot, people wondering where the horde are, it could deter newer players looking for that 7 day challenge.

Hey do you think doing the same thing would work in 17? I havent had much of a chance to check the new XMLs out yet.

Yeah that's why I said I can edit the XMLs, thanks for the link though :) I just feel as if it should be a standard thing in the game *shrug*. I see that complaint a lot, people wondering where the horde are, it could deter newer players looking for that 7 day challenge.

Hey do you think doing the same thing would work in 17? I havent had much of a chance to check the new XMLs out yet.

I agree too. The trickle at the end has always been disappointing for me as well and I hope they do fix it.

It should work still doing it the old way, from what i can see in that modlet the structure has remained the same.

@madmole; @faatal,

For the first time, my FPS dropped below 28 since lowering resolution... all the way down to 4-7 FPS.

I'm not sure the rhyme or reason, but I recently added a forge then later a workbench within a day of each other. Have used both with no issues. Suddenly, frame dropped. Shortly after I heard a wondering horde. Figured that was the cause. Dispatched the horde with a bit more challege chugging at the sluggish frame rates. FPS was still down! I was in the midst of building my bicycle (now completed), but nothing was currently being built when the lag hit. Rode my new bicycle away from my POI base and FPS was back up to 35-40. Once I came back to my base, FPS lowered, but not nearly as bad, 12-14.

Is there a known issue that would cause this?

It's takes a lot for me to stop playing this game, however, the fists, stone axe, and other tools swing incredibly slow. Or, more precisely, the time between each swing is severely delayed. It's absolutely infuriating. I used to love chipping away at stone and wood, no longer. Until it's fixed I can't play. On a separate note, I also can't play because when I enter a building with say, 20 - 30 Zeds, for example the hospital in Diresville, my FPS drops from 75 (I play on high settings) to 20 - 30. Even for an experimental build, let me tell you, I've been waiting patiently for a long, long time for this version. And frankly, it's time to work on optimisations isn't it. Even for people with 7th gen CPUs and GTX series GPUs, the stability is lacking and has been since 2013. It's such an incredible game, but little things are holding it back from reaching its true and rightful potential.

I'm pretty sure this is not caused because the code got slower, but because POIs having much more densely placed blocks and more zombies. I recall the old hospital had a lot of empty space and not that many detail blocks. We need additional optimizations like culling to try and get some of this performance back, which was lost to new content, not bad code.

I agree too. The trickle at the end has always been disappointing for me as well and I hope they do fix it.

It should work still doing it the old way, from what i can see in that modlet the structure has remained the same.

I noticed the trickle was in there on Monday. We discussed and it was removed in b198.

I noticed the trickle was in there on Monday. We discussed and it was removed in b198.

My hero! I have not gotten to a horde night yet on 199. Thank you for that. You guys are slamming it out of the park. This has been the most amazing experience in Alpha since I picked this game up. You and the team did a really great job, just wanted to stress that even through some of my grumblings before release.

It was well worth the wait.

@madmole; @faatal,

For the first time, my FPS dropped below 28 since lowering resolution... all the way down to 4-7 FPS.

I'm not sure the rhyme or reason, but I recently added a forge then later a workbench within a day of each other. Have used both with no issues. Suddenly, frame dropped. Shortly after I heard a wondering horde. Figured that was the cause. Dispatched the horde with a bit more challege chugging at the sluggish frame rates. FPS was still down! I was in the midst of building my bicycle (now completed), but nothing was currently being built when the lag hit. Rode my new bicycle away from my POI base and FPS was back up to 35-40. Once I came back to my base, FPS lowered, but not nearly as bad, 12-14.

Is there a known issue that would cause this?

I don't know of anything that would cause that. I'd try exiting and running the game again. Next a PC reboot.

My hero! I have not gotten to a horde night yet on 199. Thank you for that. You guys are slamming it out of the park. This has been the most amazing experience in Alpha since I picked this game up. You and the team did a really great job, just wanted to stress that even through some of my grumblings before release.

It was well worth the wait.

I also updated the logging, so it is very clear what group it is on, the counts, what zombies spawned, etc. You can't debug well with poor information.

Nice -- I'll prob do the changes here soon and I'll report if it doesnt work. Yeah.. lol. Granted the AI on the ones that did swarm in certainly did a number on the house haha. Smart little buggers, they are. They even bypassed a 3-stack door airlock by going through the walls on the side. Still, my friend and I were sitting there at night walking around looking for the hordes... eventually frowns on our faces. All those arrows gathered and ammo bought from the traders went unused for a couple hours haha.

@Fatal or whom it may concern

The Tree Graphic setting affects the LOD distance on the player crafted wood window. It could be other items as well. Lower tree settings will cause said window to disappear at only a few feet in front of you- higher tree settings will just increase the distance before it disappears.

Archived