Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

yeah, that and something to do with 50%, forgot where that fell into it though. Mainly a way to get rid of pit traps just killing all blood moon hordes easily late game. I liked that change, personally.

- - - Updated - - -

I find so many, not to mention Bacon and Eggs don't use bottled water and it's great. 1 of those fills me up every time, and with the perk, haha. And expect any kind of xml change for every build, best way to think of it for experimental.

ya but some food needs them and I refuse to accept that my char is going to throw away the bottle while cooking and then 10 minutes say" hay I wish I had a bottle to put this water in"

- - - Updated - - -

I save a folder of all my mods elsewhere. If something updates I can just drop my stuff back in and hope I didn't break anything :smile-new:

thats actuall a bad way of doing it since the changes they made wont be in your old copy

ya but some food needs them and I refuse to accept that my char is going to throw away the bottle while cooking and then 10 minutes say" hay I wish I had a bottle to put this water in"

True enough. I still always think that. But I'm sitting on some 90 bottled water, I just use the Tin Can water for hydration, rest I keep for cooking, glue, etc. I find so many empty ones that if I kept them all, I'd have chests full.

Btw, the mod "Structural Brace", is it a known bug that it can't be put on hammers? Tried with Claw Hammer and Sledgehammer, it won't take it, but clearly says it is for hammers.

ok Im reading it but I just dont get it

can someone show me a way to add an xpath mod that will change this line in items.xml

<!-- jar from cooking food <property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/> -->

to this

<property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/>

- - - Updated - - -

that may help with xml modding. credits to Roland

ya I know how to edit the xml directally but im trying to figure out who to do it with xpath

It's takes a lot for me to stop playing this game, however, the fists, stone axe, and other tools swing incredibly slow. Or, more precisely, the time between each swing is severely delayed. It's absolutely infuriating. I used to love chipping away at stone and wood, no longer. Until it's fixed I can't play. On a separate note, I also can't play because when I enter a building with say, 20 - 30 Zeds, for example the hospital in Diresville, my FPS drops from 75 (I play on high settings) to 20 - 30. Even for an experimental build, let me tell you, I've been waiting patiently for a long, long time for this version. And frankly, it's time to work on optimisations isn't it. Even for people with 7th gen CPUs and GTX series GPUs, the stability is lacking and has been since 2013. It's such an incredible game, but little things are holding it back from reaching its true and rightful potential.

3 zombie bears and 4 zombie dogs... Clean up on isle 4 and need a new pair of boxer briefs.

Seriously had to pause it for a bit after the fight so I could calm my nerves down... Well done TFP. I think I'll watch an episode of Home Improvement or Cheers before I go to bed so I can find my happy place.

It's takes a lot for me to stop playing this game, however, the fists, stone axe, and other tools swing incredibly slow. Or, more precisely, the time between each swing is severely delayed. It's absolutely infuriating. I used to love chipping away at stone and wood, no longer. Until it's fixed I can't play. On a separate note, I also can't play because when I enter a building with say, 20 - 30 Zeds, for example the hospital in Diresville, my FPS drops from 75 (I play on high settings) to 20 - 30. Even for an experimental build, let me tell you, I've been waiting patiently for a long, long time for this version. And frankly, it's time to work on optimisations isn't it. Even for people with 7th gen CPUs and GTX series GPUs, the stability is lacking and has been since 2013. It's such an incredible game, but little things are holding it back from reaching its true and rightful potential.

Playing since 2013 and this is your first post ? WOW...

So who are in all the portraits I see in the houses?

it would be cool if we could add our own pictures/images. in Rust we have a mod that lets you use a URL to add an image to any sign in the game. downside is as admin you are always removing the p*nis pics that show up.

Kickstarter backers.

Do you mean that at a lower game stage your placed blocks would require more damage to destroy? Could do something with the landclaim block that does a GS check and applies a buff to your blocks based on where you're at in things.

No I meant zombies would do more damage at a higher GS. This is a hypothetical statement.

MM

You and everyone else keep saying We are working on adding more mods and things and we are working on fixes and planning on other stuff.

My question is this.....Are we to from now on to expect regular updates and fixes for the future and no more wait 1+ years?

Seriously that would be great no more developing games like you did in the Dark Ages. Meaning before the turn of the century.

Let me explain it this way... It is like regular TV vs Netflix. You know how some of the old-time producers or people who were taught by them think that is the way you have to do it.

Meaning most TV show producers have a 2+minute intro every show and roll a 3+minute cast screen at end where you get less time per hour of show now and more commercials.On average you get 38-43 minutes of show per hour add in the cast and intro being long and you actually get 30-35 of real show. Oh Netflix has dino's too that still do that but the new guys make intro's under 15 sec. about 4 music notes and the title done. cast screen a visit w w w . blah blah.com for it. done.

In today's market with Early Access being a huge part of the gaming Norm.

Dinosaur ways need to set aside and the new Century needs to be Embraced...

Meaning before you developed in office for years had private testers you paid, developed till beta stage than tested again finally fixing tweaking and optimizing.etc.etc.< this is how you have been doing it. Please stop. Trust me on this it is way easier to fix bugs and optimize as you go.

Okay lets put it this way you developed for 1+year for alpha 17 you changed and added many things (NOBODY"S SAYING YOU DID NOT DO A LOT) Here is the problem now and the same problem every yearly update. It's too much changed and added.

Its a night mare to go through the code every thing changed or added breaks something that was previously fixed.

What broke it? Who knows?

If you had added 1 maybe 2 things released it at that point 2 weeks to 1 month and found a bug Well at this time you say what caused it?

Hmm could only be the 1 thing or the other or a combo of the 2.

Much much easier to find and fix... could provably do it in less than 1 day.

This very reason is why We have bugs that have existed for many many Alpha's and the reason that many plans to add things have been set aside or cast out all together. Please do not just get it good enough as always and than leave these things till the Beta stage.

As I previously stated this in today's market where EA is the norm for a lot of games now. asking people to take a chance and pay for a game to test through out development and Developing it like "Dino" is a way of the Past look at the developers of other EA games that update regularly.

Take your new competition into account Mist He is developing in the 21st century and is kicking your but from a communities point of view. When his game is done on his end it will be finished working product. No wait NO bug fixing No optimizing it is all done as he goes. He can say at that time Well I am adding this or these final few things game is is done enjoy.

Mean while, On TFP side.....wait and wait and removal of things wait and wait and Finally release and It is not going to be the same game as advertised.

I am sure I have mentioned this every year.

We are planning shorter alphas. We weren't happy with several major systems and they had to be gutted and rewritten. Now we have a framework that allows us to create content faster. Rust had a whole year where the game was unplayable because the legacy version was hacked together. They wanted a solid framework to make the game on so they started from scratch and it took over a year until it was playable but still some time before it was better than Legacy.

So stuff happens we had to rewrite some major systems but it was worth it. Now we can easily add content so updates will come sooner.

No I meant zombies would do more damage at a higher GS. This is a hypothetical statement.

I think scaling zombie block damage with GS (significantly reducing it from current levels for low GS) would make the first one or two blood moons less frustrating for new players, especially those who want to build and defend a base (as opposed to hiding out at the top of a sacrificial POI).

I don't think zombie melee damage vs. the survivor needs to get any tougher than it already is. At level 38 I'm still getting my ass kicked on a regular basis, and I've only fought a few ferals and a few cops, but no wights and nothing irradiated.

So this is good info. the perk for T-Rex does not mention tools or should we assume anything that says "melee" implies tools as well? for example reading Flurry of blows I think Melee weapons and not tools.

If you can hurt something with it and you swing it in your hand, its melee.

ok Im reading it but I just dont get it

can someone show me a way to add an xpath mod that will change this line in items.xml

<!-- jar from cooking food <property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/> -->

to this

<property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/>

- - - Updated - - -

ya I know how to edit the xml directally but im trying to figure out who to do it with xpath

I doubt you can remove the comment brackets (<!-- -->). But you can simply add another line before it that says "<property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/>". Same effect.

Use insertafter and target the previous line with the xpath.

Archived