Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

POIs seem to be overpopulated by zombies. And the owesome loot they're guarding (as MM said) is not there. I mean, I found the boxes but nothig worth the zombie ifested, landmine trapped regular house. Maybe I'm low level and no looting perks but then there shouldn't be so many sombies also. I was like level 5 when I explored this POI. There was like more than 20 zombies in there.

My observation is you can go on a quest to a death trap POI and gain a level with a fair chance of dying. Sometimes good loot.

-or-

Hit two normal POI's and gain a risk free level with sometimes good loot.

Playing "Dead is Dead" in A17, one must play smart. :)

POI SPAWNING

I get there are sleepers in POI's but having seven of them suddenly spawn in ang charge you in a bathroom is a bit much. I had cleared much of the house.

Can't run over them to get out either.

Then having zombies spawn silently next to you is no fun either.

My observation is you can go on a quest to a death trap POI and gain a level with a fair chance of dying. Sometimes good loot.

-or-

Hit two normal POI's and gain a risk free level with sometimes good loot.

Playing "Dead is Dead" in A17, one must play smart. :)

I cant wait to try a dead is dead playthrough. Not quite ready for it yet. What I'm super excited for is making my own custom quest line using custom created POIs. Now to find the time to prefab and quest design. :)

The death penalty isn't heavy. You are never weakened below what you spawned at because you'll never lose the perks that have no attribute requirement. IMO is way less severe than the old wellness system we had were you could be beat down to 30 max health and max stamina if you died enough.

Err.....wasn't 70 the bottom end of the wellness loss not 30 in A16? Or are you talking about a wellness system you tried and abandoned for A17?

We should be able to sell unlimited weapons to trader, i dont see any good reason for a limit. I have now many guns in my base that i dont use but i cant sell them. For me its a basic game element to loot stuff, sell them and buy stuff that you need. Right now its broken for me. Selling stuff to trader need a rework i think.

Why? The guy only has so much money. If you showed up at my house trying to sell me 20 guns, I don't have infinite money to buy them all.

Zombies have loot and it is AMAZING loot. Yeah, it only drops a bag for every 30(I pulled this number out of thin air. I haven't actually counted.) or so zombies I kill but the loot I get from that bag is better than I got from killing 500 zombies in A16.

OK, took me a while to get the Server going especially when some of the XML is missing or is broken. They fixed it all real quick though, they always do at Ping & my go to Host. That is what I can live with, I never expected every Zed to give you Loot but Random works for me or a Kill Limit. Thought I read where they took it out completely.

Got the World going & there is a new Update so here we go again...

I cant wait to try a dead is dead playthrough. Not quite ready for it yet. What I'm super excited for is making my own custom quest line using custom created POIs. Now to find the time to prefab and quest design. :)

Hopefully the quest system allows for quest trees that can also directly alter the game for good or ill for the player. NPC and factions should (hopefully) make the quest system amazing.

Simple. In the current state, big maps takes a long time to generate, so would often be perceived as hung. I think the large sizes may have some other issues too. We can fix it, but we wanted to get experimental out and everything takes time.

We could have waited longer to improve that and other things, but many people don't care about that and want to try it now. I would not be starting any long term playing now, because you will be restarting as we make changes that are not compatible with old saves. Why do you need a huge world, when it will be reset next week? A17 stable will be for that.

Bigger Maps for A17 stable confirmed???? that's all I want for Christmas.

Edit... A few weeks past Christmas would even be okay ;)

Hopefully the quest system allows for quest trees that can also directly alter the game for good or ill for the player. NPC and factions should (hopefully) make the quest system amazing.

Doable.

...now, mix that idea with a world you can build from scratch, pois you can place with specificity, and dialogues...

Zombie bears seem to be buggy. They kept running backward and doing this rubber-banding dance. Also, they kept glitching up the metal shelves in stores. Fortunately, I had just found a rifle.

I had one spawn when I was at a gun store and few minutes after killing it another one spawned. A little overkill for a level 14 character???

POIs seem to be overpopulated by zombies. And the owesome loot they're guarding (as MM said) is not there. I mean, I found the boxes but nothig worth the zombie ifested, landmine trapped regular house. Maybe I'm low level and no looting perks but then there shouldn't be so many sombies also. I was like level 5 when I explored this POI. There was like more than 20 zombies in there.

All big entities will have problems in a 1m block world with pathing based on that size. They just don't fit, so we either make them smaller or they try to wiggle through or they decimate blocks. Not trying means easily kiting and killing them. Needs more work.

All big entities will have problems in a 1m block world with pathing based on that size. They just don't fit, so we either make them smaller or they try to wiggle through or they decimate blocks. Not trying means easily kiting and killing them. Needs more work.

The 4 leggeds are all janky, but a vast improvement so I've Faith.

and about loot i like it this way but i would like zombies to give different experience depending on how hard they go down

They do give different amounts, but I think it needs more variation. Ferals (runners) should be higher, since much more dangerous.

Zombies have loot and it is AMAZING loot. Yeah, it only drops a bag for every 30(I pulled this number out of thin air. I haven't actually counted.) or so zombies I kill but the loot I get from that bag is better than I got from killing 500 zombies in A16.

Loot percent is 2% for normals and 3% for ferals/radiated.

Why? The guy only has so much money. If you showed up at my house trying to sell me 20 guns, I don't have infinite money to buy them all.

It would be good to have progressive system. Like selling one gun gives you good fortune, but selling same type of gun over and over again or selling big number at once will drop cost signigicantly.

Loot percent is 2% for normals and 3% for ferals/radiated.

Are we getting a fix for the invincible soldiers in the next beta build? Thats the only thing thats preventing my group from starting a server right now. Since we'll be discovering those in the first bigger structure we'll loot.

A Zombie ran away then up stairs then attacked the floor to drop on me. It still got to me but it was odd.

Pathing through the huge amount of block types we have is not simple. The grid scanner has to be able to do that in realtime around every player as blocks change, so to be fast, it has a limited precision. There are also some partial blocks that we need to tag differently, since they bump into those trying to go through them.

POI SPAWNING

I get there are sleepers in POI's but having seven of them suddenly spawn in ang charge you in a bathroom is a bit much. I had cleared much of the house.

Can't run over them to get out either.

Then having zombies spawn silently next to you is no fun either.

Is your computer the server? If not, what ping do you have and how many people are on the server?

LOL. I think even if we named the version "horrible buggy mess that will destroy your computer and kill you", people would still jump in and expect everything to be perfect.

Well my GPU and CPU are running continuously at 90 degrees+ so maybe you should have called it that :D

LOL. I think even if we named the version "horrible buggy mess that will destroy your computer and kill you", people would still jump in and expect everything to be perfect.

I mean, the known issues list for b199 clearly states "you will die".

Archived