Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Madmole promised to address this at one of their meetings, so I hope they realize the implications of their changes were bigger than anticipated and they put the onus of spawn blocking and workstation grabbing back on the bed roll where it belongs, so that PvE and PvP communities don't continue to suffer from this oversight.

I said I'd bring it up at the next round table meeting, no promises. I see how rumors turn into facts now.

Depends on your hardware but every game I've ever played since resolution could actually be changed since the 90's has always performed better at lower resolutions because the textures are mipped down quicker and lod's are using shorter distances and fill rate and a bunch of other stuff.

1: stick to the same like 16:9 so it looks right on your monitor.

2: Back in the day I think it ran better if it matched your desktop resolution but that is a thing of the past now AFAIK.

Not strictly true with modern gaming.

Lowering resolution puts more work on the CPU with how DX11 works. That's why you see almost no FPS difference at higher resolutions in GPU benchmarks when comparing CPU's.

The plating, insulation, the bushings that make you quieter, the stuff that reduces stamina cost, to name a few. We'll get night vision in soon for helmet mods too. Press and hold F to toggle between light mods :)

Ah ha! That's probably why you can't toggle normal, night mode, and light with a helmet AND NVG's!

Hi!

I would like to start a dedi Alpha17 experimental server. Can someone offer a good provider in EU? Now I'm on gamerzfactory.de but they didn't answer me and my server not responding since a few days.

gamerzfactory is bad, used them too for a while. But I didn't get the impression that others are necessarily better (from forum comments). You get what you pay for and at about 8 Euros per month you can't get good support when just the server without any software on it practically costs the same.

I found a better way, but I don't know if that is possible for you. I rented a bare-bone server (i.e. one with just the operating system on it) and put 7d2d on it myself. Costs me about 12 or 14 Euros a month and I had no problems anymore and a far better hardware. But I have to do the management work myself.

If you feel adventurous and don't mind using linux and the command line, I wrote up all the steps I did to set it up in a small textfile. BUT you should definitely not do this if you are a "noob" at computer stuff and don't want to learn new things.

If the desert is not viable at early game stage then why the hell do you insist on spawning new players there?

Someone earlier actually explained how to create/remove spawn points, so you can change them around to reflect what you want. I look at it as:

"OMG, someone kidnapped me, I was on a trip, etc. when the outbreak happened. I lost consciousness, and I awoke in a god awful area. I need to run till I get to a better location to survive, if I don't, it may well be the death of me."

It doesn't typically take long to get to a better place. Since POIs tend to be on the harder side, most of those are passed over first few days as is. Grab stuff from the trash n all on the way. I haven't found it to be that detrimental to the game.

gamerzfactory is bad, used them too for a while. But I didn't get the impression that others are necessarily better. You get what you pay for and at about 8 Euros per month you can't get good support when just the server without any software on it practically costs the same.

I found a better way, but I don't know if that is possible for you. I rented a bare-bone server (i.e. one with just the operating system on it) and put 7d2d on it myself. Costs me about 12 or 14 Euros a month and I had no problems anymore. But I have to do the management work myself.

If you feel adventurous and don't mind using linux and the command line, I wrote up all the steps I did to set it up in a small textfile. BUT you should definitely not do this if you are a "noob" at computer stuff and don't want to learn new things.

That's basically what I did, then threw windows on the server because it's just easier for me to use remote desktop than VNC/Linux command line. :)

Has anyone from TFP said anything about why they changed the Y offset of crouch? XML's still say 0.65 but in game its only about 0.25 now, and that is reducing the vertical melee range by about 0.3m.

That's been mentioned a couple of times. But it sure makes hitting standing zombies while stealthed a lot easier...

So this is good info. the perk for T-Rex does not mention tools or should we assume anything that says "melee" implies tools as well? for example reading Flurry of blows I think Melee weapons and not tools.

I'm thinking that if they say melee, it means anything that you have to swing,stab,etc. to hit a zombie or resource. Anything that can shoot at a zombie from a distance is ranged. Nailgun, I'm not sure, lol.

So who are in all the portraits I see in the houses?

it would be cool if we could add our own pictures/images. in Rust we have a mod that lets you use a URL to add an image to any sign in the game. downside is as admin you are always removing the p*nis pics that show up.

Lol, the internets...

That's basically what I did, then threw windows on the server because it's just easier for me to use remote desktop than VNC/Linux command line. :)

Yes, possible as well and there is at least one wiki page where hosting for 7d2d is explained quite well. But either way you have to have or gain some experience outside of "turning on your computer and answering the questions" :smile-new:

ROFL No, it's not. In fact, it's 136 SqKm SMALLER than the default map size for A16. I did the math. Most servers, especially the good ones, run at 50 people playing at once. There is no way a map this tiny is going to work for that. I know you have said that "the game is made for 8 people" before. But, here's the thing, you make the game for your player base, not for you. And I can promise you that your player base doesn't want tiny little 64 sqkm maps. Now, if your goal is to stop people from playing the game, then by all means, continue the way you are going with A17.

It was not designed for 8 people just because we felt like it. That number was so players could have a good experience based on the performance of the game. Every player adds overhead and slows down the server. Too many and it becomes a lag fest, then we get the blame.

Roland, MM, Faatal, Gazz or to whom it corresponds

A very important question, will we have the translation into Spanish in the next experimental?

Almost the whole game is in English yet, we do not understand English very much, we need skills and missions

are in Spanish, to be able to enjoy 100% of the game, currently almost all the content is in English,

and we do not understand almost anything, we only act on instinct, please take into account the translation into Spanish of at least the skills

and the missions, the Spanish-speaking community of this game is giant is very big

Please add to the next experimental the translation of at least the skills and missions

Thank you!

Considering how much you hyped the weapon and armour mod system, kinda a shame that players have to wait to get to such a high level before they get to appreciate and enjoy it...

RNG is random lol. D7 lvl 22 here and I have found 5 mods also. That's with avoiding the dungeon poi's too. Pretty good drop rate on mods so far has been my experience.

Fine, but why lock the map for servers to a size that is 137 sq. km smaller than A16's default. There are plenty of servers that consistently have 50 players online. And a 64 sq. km map will not do. Why take away options like that?

When 20 people complain, there are a ton more that are silent. So, did anyone complain the map is too big in A16? How many people said "We want a tiny map"? Pretty much the only good thing about this game is the ability to mod it. Every wonder why there are so many mods for the game?

"We are not building a house for one person, but for millions with a million opinions and in the end we do what seems best." No, there are not a million options. This build takes away tons of options.. And if you think millions of people play this game multiplayer, I have news for you. lol

By limiting the size of the map, you are doing nothing but pissing off a good chunk of your player base. Why? What's the point of that? A decent server computer had NO problem running the large maps of A16. My server computer could even run perfectly with maps that where over 300 sq. km. So.. limiting us to 64 sq. km serves what purpose?

Simple. In the current state, big maps takes a long time to generate, so would often be perceived as hung. I think the large sizes may have some other issues too. We can fix it, but we wanted to get experimental out and everything takes time.

We could have waited longer to improve that and other things, but many people don't care about that and want to try it now. I would not be starting any long term playing now, because you will be restarting as we make changes that are not compatible with old saves. Why do you need a huge world, when it will be reset next week? A17 stable will be for that.

So far A17 is pretty good.

Couple notes.

The pallets of random items are very unintuitive. If I see a pallet of bags of cement it's awkward that I get virtually nothing from them.

Melee feels kind of clunky, overall it's better but still is lacking.

Ai is better and worse at the same time. It is obviously much better at getting to me. But some of the pathing makes no sense. It was kind of cool but still didn't make sense.

A Zombie ran away then up stairs then attacked the floor to drop on me. It still got to me but it was odd.

I really like the new skill system. But I don't like the arbitrary player level required to unlock things.

It is definitely harder now though.

Also THANK YOU for ditching gun parts.

.... I'm level 300, with a level 6 Pickaxe loaded with Mods.. it takes me 10 swings to break one rock.. ;f

Something fishy going on there then. I'm lvl 22 with a no mod iron pick and 1 lvl of miner 69 and break boulders at about 7 hits per stage?

- - - Updated - - -

I had a quest to clear an area in a small poi, but before I started the quest I went to kill all the zombies and loot everything. When I started the quest it reset all the zombies and loot containers. Seems like a bug?

Working as intended. Quest reset the poi to the quest setup from the normal poi setup.

CAN'T EVEN PLAY NOW! FPS is at 6-8 WTH fun pimps! FIX the optimization of this game please!!!!!! And why does it take hours to bust a rock now! I am going back to A16 its way better than this crap! At least I can play the game, I shouldn't have to by a new computer everytime you do an update to a game that I was able to play but now can't because you did not optimize the world so it don't eat up all the frames. Too may issues with the update, I have seen so many say they can't even play now, because their computer won't support it anymore, Mad Mole what are the Fun Pimps going to do about this? We want to be able to play like we could in A16. Don't get me wrong I love the concept but this game needs to be optimized so we can play also like before!

two words for you.... experimental unstable............

POIs seem to be overpopulated by zombies. And the owesome loot they're guarding (as MM said) is not there. I mean, I found the boxes but nothig worth the zombie ifested, landmine trapped regular house. Maybe I'm low level and no looting perks but then there shouldn't be so many sombies also. I was like level 5 when I explored this POI. There was like more than 20 zombies in there.

My observation is you can go on a quest to a death trap POI and gain a level with a fair chance of dying. Sometimes good loot.

-or-

Hit two normal POI's and gain a risk free level with sometimes good loot.

Playing "Dead is Dead" in A17, one must play smart. :)

Archived