Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

My survival story A-17 exp WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I was in SP playing Navezgane trying to locate a chemical station. I knew that gas stations have them so I went and found one near Diersville. The station was normally in the back with a simple wooden fence. To my surprise that was changed to block. The whole thing was turned into s dungeon.

After dawn I managed to fight my way past a few sleepers that were not that asleep and get access to the back. I did not find a chem station. But I must have triggered something when I attacked a sleeper above me on as dumpster. Two more came out of nowhere and the big biker zombie that I thought was hopelessly stuck in the poi's barbwire and spikes came after me. I had to sprint past them to the other side of the yard and used my bow. I took them all out but the biker who took himself out by hitting the car which exploded, killing him.

I decided to try and explore the storeroom were I saw 8 coolers. Had to cut through the bobbed wire then jump onto the counter to avoid the spikes. No sooner than that than two crawlers tried to follow me. I took them out rather than wait for the spikes. Cleared the sleepers and approached the 8 wall coolers.

Suddenly 4 of them burst apart revealing two zombies while a third one seemed to appear out of thin air. Again I took them out and looted the remaining coolers. I hated the idea of TFP's using loot to hide zeds and even more so, losing the loot.

I explored more. Snuck past a sleeper in the stairwell and was checking that room when all hell broke lose. The room seemed to explode revealing three zombies while two more seemed to drop from the second floor. Too many I thought. So I ran around them back to the stairs were that sleeper greeted me in the doorway. So I sprinted around it and went down stairs.

It was then that I realized that my health was really low. I wanted out but the was trapped. So I busted my way though some boarded up windows. It seemed to take forever, me looking over my shoulder. I could hear them but no zombie kame. I got out and ran.

But it did work pretty well in A16. with a map that was 201sq. km. With 50 people. The only issue was loading times when on a really fast mini bike. Which could probably have been fixed with a bit of work.

It was fixed with a bit of work. You just don't like the fix.

- - - Updated - - -

This game is hardly using any RAM now... and its still a CPU hog.

I haven't actually checked the RAM usage so you may be right. I think his main issue is video card anyway. I wouldn't even attempt shadows with that card. My 1050 barely handles them.

So...something like sunglasses raises perception by 2. But it doesn't override the level gate? So for example, if I'm at level 3 perception but char level 15 they are useless and don't do anything? At least that is the way it appears.

It was fixed with a bit of work. You just don't like the fix.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't actually checked the RAM usage so you may be right. I think his main issue is video card anyway. I wouldn't even attempt shadows with that card. My 1050 barely handles them.

A17 hovers around 4 gigs. I’m sure this is an improvement for people with limited ram but I bet it comes at a cost for those with more.

Everyone that plays this MP wants to play on servers with more than 8 people. At least triple that amount, in fact.

While I do want bigger maps that whats available in this current experimental. Your statement above is complete BS.

I play with a friend co-op, no server. Servers IMO are stupid for this game. Co-op with friends is where most of their customers are at.

Zombies have loot and it is AMAZING loot. Yeah, it only drops a bag for every 30(I pulled this number out of thin air. I haven't actually counted.) or so zombies I kill but the loot I get from that bag is better than I got from killing 500 zombies in A16.

I know RNG hates me

3 bags from 229 Zombies (Started A17 on a Account i never played 7D2D before, so i have the archievment numbers)

Same about animals, had more large animals in 2 Short games (arround 5 in each) as in all other longer term games (in the current on day 6 i had a wulf yeaaa)

Edited by Royal Deluxe (see edit history)

So yesterday a buddy and I decided to find a spot for our base out in the woods. We climbed down from our two story and turned around to see a 10 pack of dogs. Lots of swearing and we went back up the ladder just to have the dogs run inside and head upstairs. We hatched a plan to throw some frames in the door and run like hell. Well, the dogs just decided to run out the windows. Cue more swearing, some sweating, about half my rifle rounds and we were ok.

We found our spot where we wanted to build and started to prep up. I was digging away, heard something, and looked up to see wolves. Lots of wolves. I got one before I got taken down by 5 of them and my buddy managed to nerd pole up a tree and somehow survive. There goes a pile more of my rifle rounds and we're safe again.

The morale to the story here is REDUCE THE DAMNED DEATH DEBUFF TIMER! Oh, and I love the "oh ♥♥♥♥" moments from the hordes.

The quest system might have a slight problem: Since you have to go to a trader for quest AND reward A17 will push players even more into setting themselves up near a trader.

Sure, it never is a bad idea to have a trader near you, but this is really stacking a lot of incentive on your choice of location (if you are using bases).

This supposes that traders don't run out of quests, I might be wrong there. But if not, maybe a quests 2.0 should make getting the reward independent of the traders.

Quests ramp up in difficulty. Looks like approx 5 quests per level. (Which I believe would imply a limit.) On level 3 quests currently. And I am loving them! Best so far: junkyard with 4 dogs, 6 snakes, 4 vultures, and 2 (huh?) normal zombies. (Armed with a club, hunting knife and sniper rifle w 22 rounds). Have (re) started a clear home quest that is kicking my arse. (Not killing me - I run away before I die). Multiple coppers and feral springing spiders, and 4 wicked looking boars. A couple have required me to take a couple days to clear. Waiting (even with NVG's) overnite in a really difficult quest poi is VERY nerve wracking!

Day 22, level 48. This is my third game. No deaths so far. Follow 2 simple rules:

1. This is not your fathers alpha. Do NOT play A17 like any previous Alpha!

2. Hasty decisions (being unprepared) usually results in a non-arcade type death.

(I dislike deaths without serious consequences.)

('Immersion'. How can anyone use an immersion argument when a game doesn't seriously punish you for dying?)

In all seriousness: the first 3 days are REALLY tough. (4 dogs? Dude - try 9 wolves) Around day 10 (for me) game got 'easier'. Was not a happy camper my first 10 hours w A17. It is now my absolute fave.

(BTW! 4200 hours. Last 400 before A17 was Jax's Ravenhearst 4.4. I have no doubts that Rav 4 prepped me for A17... Thanks Jax!)

My only criticism: Guns do seem a 'little' more prevalent than food. (Day 4, 13 buildings and 40 trash piles searched = 1 can of cat food. 2 pistols (lvl 1 ea), 2 snipers (1 1, 1 2), 2 AK-47's (1 1, 1 2), 2 hunting rifles (1 ea), and 2 shotguns (1 1, 1 2). Luckily, the trader had a lot of food to trade a few guns for.

TFP - What can I say? 4200+ hours. $20. ALPHA. Better than all the thousands of games I have played (I mean 'tested') previously. MASSIVE KUDOS AND THANKS.

(Not to mention a great wife - who lets me do all that.)

Edited by Quantum Blue (see edit history)

I’ve heard from a very trusted trolland source that another update for 7D2D is coming today, The Pimps will remove every weapon from the game, no more zombie attacks. The new way to play is to hug a zombie with all the love you have, so much that the demon inside of him leaves peacefully and return beyond rock bottom. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. So, you try and try again, and again, and again. The perks system has been worked again. You got new perks like “The Exorcist”, it gives you the ability to perform and exorcist with "P" and every time, your character is yelling "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU" then the zombie can return to his normal human form when you push multiple times. There is also “Jesus Walk of Fame”, this perk lets you walk on water. During blood moon, the only safe place in the game are in the churches. To regain health, you need to donate your money to a new charity system. Can’t wait to play !!!!!

While I do want bigger maps that whats available in this current experimental. Your statement above is complete BS.

I play with a friend co-op, no server. Servers IMO are stupid for this game. Co-op with friends is where most of their customers are at.

Well on the old map i liked arround 20 player, the new ones are great for .... 4 i guess

- - - Updated - - -

So yesterday a buddy and I decided to find a spot for our base out in the woods. We climbed down from our two story and turned around to see a 10 pack of dogs. Lots of swearing and we went back up the ladder just to have the dogs run inside and head upstairs. We hatched a plan to throw some frames in the door and run like hell. Well, the dogs just decided to run out the windows. Cue more swearing, some sweating, about half my rifle rounds and we were ok.

We found our spot where we wanted to build and started to prep up. I was digging away, heard something, and looked up to see wolves. Lots of wolves. I got one before I got taken down by 5 of them and my buddy managed to nerd pole up a tree and somehow survive. There goes a pile more of my rifle rounds and we're safe again.

The morale to the story here is REDUCE THE DAMNED DEATH DEBUFF TIMER! Oh, and I love the "oh ♥♥♥♥" moments from the hordes.

PFFFFF

8B09892805C902934295192C3A9B205C3B64ED14

My level was 16, i guess 15 before the dogs

Edited by Royal Deluxe (see edit history)

So, I'm finally getting somewhere, leveling up, at 33 now, attic crib finally feeling proper and useful, unlock Advanced Engineering where it says I get to make Workbench, TABLESAW, etc... But it still tells me I do not know the dang recipe for the tablesaw, even in the workbench where it says it has to be made... but for some reason I still cannot make it. Is still greyed out saying I need to know recipe. Why? Am I missing something, do I need to learn it some other way too, or is this a session killing bug that will keep me perma-stuck and needing to start over?

Oh, I am sorry, I thought this was the dev discussion forum for A17. My bad. Oh wait, it IS. What part of that don't you understand? This is the exact forum for posting opinions about it and whatnot. I didn't act like and end consumer at all. I was commenting on the current state of it. And how I'd like to see support for larger maps. I can't make a bug report for something that's a feature, not a bug, can I? It's been stated outright by more than on staff that the current tiny maps are "huge" - Joel. Apparently, 64sq. km is huge for multiplayer. lol

True. MM thinks the 8k map is "huge". Who else said that? You are talking about more than one, I can only recall MM ever saying this, in a conversation about default vanilla

Apparently, 64sq. km is huge for multiplayer. lol And they have no plans for changing it.

Not to my knowledge. Please show me where anyone from TFP said they have no plans for changing it.

Everyone that plays this MP wants to play on servers with more than 8 people. At least triple that amount, in fact.

Adding to snowdog1942 comment, I play with 4-5 others on a private server since A15 and we don't want anything else. Don't make up numbers if you want to be taken seriously.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

^ That is incredibly good news, looking forward to it!

That certainly may be it. But I'd feel better if someone could confirm that they are using more than ~3.9 GB of ram.

After my post I teleported around about 10 times, all over the map, and still couldn't get ram above ~3.7. Not sure what else to try...?

Yes we optimized memory usage. Why would you want it to use more ram?

I think the animation for left click punch is slower yes, I think it's the animation that's causing it to feel that way, and add the delay until striking that you're talking about. Seems intended, but may be subject to change?

Its not intended.

It's not a bug. It's the way it's setup. Madmole doesn't want it bigger because he thinks that it's huge... Yeah.. reducing the size of the map from 200sqkm to 64sqkm makes it "huge". lol

Its bigger than Navezgane by 2k in every direction and the new Nav is pretty big, at least playing solo. I'm pretty sure we have plans to increase the map size, we had 16kx16k in there but it took hours to generate or something so it was disabled until we can shorten the generation time.

Curious why would you need such a huge map? So you can have a lot of players and still be able to find a secluded location to build? Is loot dried up instantly when you have 50 players on the server on smaller maps?

How to reduce the heat

Have both skillpoints i can set

5B90FCF93BECFC51289A99530557051642822AC1

Things changed. Get your hands on the leather trench coat, it cools a lot more than the poncho.

Adding to snowdog1942 comment, I play with 4-5 others on a private server since A15 and we don't want anything else. Don't make up numbers if you want to be taken seriously.

Same. 2-3 players and a private server. Friendly fire turned off so we can go all medieval on each other if we want. Just too hard to play with randoms that actually play by the rules, i.e. not straight-up cheating or griefing for the sake of griefing. I'm all for erasing a base if it's strategic, but if you just target new players or follow someone around just to ruin their day. Shame. On. You.

Boom. This. It might change later as we start new worlds and get better with a17. But right now it does not seem like there a lot of time for building.

I don't build unless I stumble into a forge, but even then I will try to stay at a junk building on day 7 just because I want some perks to reduce the grind on mining the resources to build a base. It would be cool if GS increased block damage so early wood forts might have a small chance of standing.

ok, will have to agree with the others MM. punching right now feels very awkward and unnatural. It's the same with the stone axe. the delay is overly exaggerated. start a new game and walk around punching grass. don't hold the mouse button down, manually do it.

when you redid flurry of blows, was any of that connected to tool use? is that what is causing this issue?

the added punch animation when placing things like seeds or bedrolls... uses up and drains stamina unnecessarily. which is very damning early on without perks

You are preaching to the choir. I don't know what change caused the lag at the end of the animation and spent some time on it yesterday but coudln't get it fixed. The extra thrown melee blow is very annoying.

I don't build unless I stumble into a forge, but even then I will try to stay at a junk building on day 7 just because I want some perks to reduce the grind on mining the resources to build a base. It would be cool if GS increased block damage so early wood forts might have a small chance of standing.

Do you mean that at a lower game stage your placed blocks would require more damage to destroy? Could do something with the landclaim block that does a GS check and applies a buff to your blocks based on where you're at in things.

Its bigger than Navezgane by 2k in every direction and the new Nav is pretty big, at least playing solo. I'm pretty sure we have plans to increase the map size, we had 16kx16k in there but it took hours to generate or something so it was disabled until we can shorten the generation time.

Curious why would you need such a huge map? So you can have a lot of players and still be able to find a secluded location to build? Is loot dried up instantly when you have 50 players on the server on smaller maps?

Short answer? I never want to see the edge of the map. In the old RWG I don't think I ever wandered close to the edge of the map, under the new system I can probably find the edge of the map before the end of a single game day. I know because I had to do the trader quest bug-fix which highlighted 0,0,0 and I was at the edge of the snow biome which gave me a sense of scale.

I'm glad there are plans to increase the map size but at the current limitations it feels claustrophobic.

Ok, so alphado did a test and made a 16x world... Go to the advance screen and you can set the preview number higher, which apparently does generate a world.

...he did a 32x and said it took hours, fyi.

We made some tests on 2 different windows dedi server.

On a 4790, it took 45 minutes to create a 16k x 16k world. (no GPU)

On a 7700k, it took 18 minutes. (GPU: GTX 1080)