Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Adding to snowdog1942 comment, I play with 4-5 others on a private server since A15 and we don't want anything else. Don't make up numbers if you want to be taken seriously.

Same. 2-3 players and a private server. Friendly fire turned off so we can go all medieval on each other if we want. Just too hard to play with randoms that actually play by the rules, i.e. not straight-up cheating or griefing for the sake of griefing. I'm all for erasing a base if it's strategic, but if you just target new players or follow someone around just to ruin their day. Shame. On. You.

Boom. This. It might change later as we start new worlds and get better with a17. But right now it does not seem like there a lot of time for building.

I don't build unless I stumble into a forge, but even then I will try to stay at a junk building on day 7 just because I want some perks to reduce the grind on mining the resources to build a base. It would be cool if GS increased block damage so early wood forts might have a small chance of standing.

ok, will have to agree with the others MM. punching right now feels very awkward and unnatural. It's the same with the stone axe. the delay is overly exaggerated. start a new game and walk around punching grass. don't hold the mouse button down, manually do it.

when you redid flurry of blows, was any of that connected to tool use? is that what is causing this issue?

the added punch animation when placing things like seeds or bedrolls... uses up and drains stamina unnecessarily. which is very damning early on without perks

You are preaching to the choir. I don't know what change caused the lag at the end of the animation and spent some time on it yesterday but coudln't get it fixed. The extra thrown melee blow is very annoying.

I don't build unless I stumble into a forge, but even then I will try to stay at a junk building on day 7 just because I want some perks to reduce the grind on mining the resources to build a base. It would be cool if GS increased block damage so early wood forts might have a small chance of standing.

Do you mean that at a lower game stage your placed blocks would require more damage to destroy? Could do something with the landclaim block that does a GS check and applies a buff to your blocks based on where you're at in things.

Its bigger than Navezgane by 2k in every direction and the new Nav is pretty big, at least playing solo. I'm pretty sure we have plans to increase the map size, we had 16kx16k in there but it took hours to generate or something so it was disabled until we can shorten the generation time.

Curious why would you need such a huge map? So you can have a lot of players and still be able to find a secluded location to build? Is loot dried up instantly when you have 50 players on the server on smaller maps?

Short answer? I never want to see the edge of the map. In the old RWG I don't think I ever wandered close to the edge of the map, under the new system I can probably find the edge of the map before the end of a single game day. I know because I had to do the trader quest bug-fix which highlighted 0,0,0 and I was at the edge of the snow biome which gave me a sense of scale.

I'm glad there are plans to increase the map size but at the current limitations it feels claustrophobic.

Ok, so alphado did a test and made a 16x world... Go to the advance screen and you can set the preview number higher, which apparently does generate a world.

...he did a 32x and said it took hours, fyi.

We made some tests on 2 different windows dedi server.

On a 4790, it took 45 minutes to create a 16k x 16k world. (no GPU)

On a 7700k, it took 18 minutes. (GPU: GTX 1080)

And he wants a heavy death penalty. And still you can remove the penalty in the xmls.

And he wants lots of zombies. Still you can disable them in the configs

And he wants improved lighting. Still you can turn off the monitor any time :cocksure:

See a pattern?

The death penalty isn't heavy. You are never weakened below what you spawned at because you'll never lose the perks that have no attribute requirement. IMO is way less severe than the old wellness system we had were you could be beat down to 30 max health and max stamina if you died enough. It regenerated only 10 a day, so it took 7 days to nurse back to full health. So you must think that a level 1 character is too weak? Because the death penalty never makes you worse than being level 1. Turn the difficulty down then.

If you have problems or concerns they might be heard if you voiced your opinions with reasoning about play style, what mode you play etc not whining and sarcasm.

Can I get some details on the attributes?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25523[/ATTACH]

for example is Stamina /S = Stamina per second? if so is the -0.57 mean my default stamina usage (good) or is it consumption (bad) ?

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of great PIOs. I took over a trailer/wrecked car PIO until I got to level 11 before I started branching out.

so building on Day one? take over a POI or dig a hole get resources, etc. Zombies crush stuff on bloodmoon now days so it would be hard to survive anything you can build (I think) in the early game stages.

If it removes stamina use per second, that is good.

Same. 2-3 players and a private server. Friendly fire turned off so we can go all medieval on each other if we want. Just too hard to play with randoms that actually play by the rules, i.e. not straight-up cheating or griefing for the sake of griefing. I'm all for erasing a base if it's strategic, but if you just target new players or follow someone around just to ruin their day. Shame. On. You.

Sadly that what the most PVP player want. They dont even understand that PVP means not in the first place to destroy a others players fun.

I particitae in the SCUM EA, and its a shame how most PVP player act and think

Now that perks are done Gazz can properly balance the firearms. I'm shooting for 2 pistol shots to the head with no perks to kill a weak zombie, so by the time you get a couple perks or mods you'll be one shot killing easy zombies to the head. But yes they are pathetic in current form it took 5 shots to kill a weak zed to the head and 5 point blank shotgun headshots to kill a biker. That is just wrong.

Yes, a fix to gun damage is needed. I'm so glad to hear this, now I won't have to automatically scrap all crappy and poor quality guns I encounter.

MM

You and everyone else keep saying We are working on adding more mods and things and we are working on fixes and planning on other stuff.

My question is this.....Are we to from now on to expect regular updates and fixes for the future and no more wait 1+ years?

Seriously that would be great no more developing games like you did in the Dark Ages. Meaning before the turn of the century.

Let me explain it this way... It is like regular TV vs Netflix. You know how some of the old-time producers or people who were taught by them think that is the way you have to do it.

Meaning most TV show producers have a 2+minute intro every show and roll a 3+minute cast screen at end where you get less time per hour of show now and more commercials.On average you get 38-43 minutes of show per hour add in the cast and intro being long and you actually get 30-35 of real show. Oh Netflix has dino's too that still do that but the new guys make intro's under 15 sec. about 4 music notes and the title done. cast screen a visit w w w . blah blah.com for it. done.

In today's market with Early Access being a huge part of the gaming Norm.

Dinosaur ways need to set aside and the new Century needs to be Embraced...

Meaning before you developed in office for years had private testers you paid, developed till beta stage than tested again finally fixing tweaking and optimizing.etc.etc.< this is how you have been doing it. Please stop. Trust me on this it is way easier to fix bugs and optimize as you go.

Okay lets put it this way you developed for 1+year for alpha 17 you changed and added many things (NOBODY"S SAYING YOU DID NOT DO A LOT) Here is the problem now and the same problem every yearly update. It's too much changed and added.

Its a night mare to go through the code every thing changed or added breaks something that was previously fixed.

What broke it? Who knows?

If you had added 1 maybe 2 things released it at that point 2 weeks to 1 month and found a bug Well at this time you say what caused it?

Hmm could only be the 1 thing or the other or a combo of the 2.

Much much easier to find and fix... could provably do it in less than 1 day.

This very reason is why We have bugs that have existed for many many Alpha's and the reason that many plans to add things have been set aside or cast out all together. Please do not just get it good enough as always and than leave these things till the Beta stage.

As I previously stated this in today's market where EA is the norm for a lot of games now. asking people to take a chance and pay for a game to test through out development and Developing it like "Dino" is a way of the Past look at the developers of other EA games that update regularly.

Take your new competition into account Mist He is developing in the 21st century and is kicking your but from a communities point of view. When his game is done on his end it will be finished working product. No wait NO bug fixing No optimizing it is all done as he goes. He can say at that time Well I am adding this or these final few things game is is done enjoy.

Mean while, On TFP side.....wait and wait and removal of things wait and wait and Finally release and It is not going to be the same game as advertised.

I am sure I have mentioned this every year.

But it did work pretty well in A16. with a map that was 201sq. km. With 50 people. The only issue was loading times when on a really fast mini bike. Which could probably have been fixed with a bit of work.

The “fix” was smaller, pregenerated maps. Mission accomplished.

Oh, I am sorry, I thought this was the dev discussion forum for A17.

It is that. This thread is NOT the “repeat your complaint over and over even when you have been answered” thread. Go start that thread somewhere else.

'Clearly'? Have you read the game recommendations?

The stupid devs of KOTOR never took my recommendation that it should be four-player co-op. They never realized that a big portion of their playerbase wanted that. They stuck with their dumb, single-player “recommendation.” Dumb. :p

You are preaching to the choir. I don't know what change caused the lag at the end of the animation and spent some time on it yesterday but coudln't get it fixed. The extra thrown melee blow is very annoying.

I'm glad its not just me. Punching and swinging a stone axe are very slow in B199. Fire axes and pick axes are not noticeably affected. For what it 's worth i never had the double swing in B197. I also don't spam mouse click.

MM

You and everyone else keep saying We are working on adding more mods and things and we are working on fixes and planning on other stuff.

My question is this.....Are we to from now on to expect regular updates and fixes for the future and no more wait 1+ years?

Seriously that would be great no more developing games like you did in the Dark Ages. Meaning before the turn of the century.

Let me explain it this way... It is like regular TV vs Netflix. You know how some of the old-time producers or people who were taught by them think that is the way you have to do it.

Meaning most TV show producers have a 2+minute intro every show and roll a 3+minute cast screen at end where you get less time per hour of show now and more commercials.On average you get 38-43 minutes of show per hour add in the cast and intro being long and you actually get 30-35 of real show. Oh Netflix has dino's too that still do that but the new guys make intro's under 15 sec. about 4 music notes and the title done. cast screen a visit w w w . blah blah.com for it. done.

In today's market with Early Access being a huge part of the gaming Norm.

Dinosaur ways need to set aside and the new Century needs to be Embraced...

Meaning before you developed in office for years had private testers you paid, developed till beta stage than tested again finally fixing tweaking and optimizing.etc.etc.< this is how you have been doing it. Please stop. Trust me on this it is way easier to fix bugs and optimize as you go.

Okay lets put it this way you developed for 1+year for alpha 17 you changed and added many things (NOBODY"S SAYING YOU DID NOT DO A LOT) Here is the problem now and the same problem every yearly update. It's too much changed and added.

Its a night mare to go through the code every thing changed or added breaks something that was previously fixed.

What broke it? Who knows?

If you had added 1 maybe 2 things released it at that point 2 weeks to 1 month and found a bug Well at this time you say what caused it?

Hmm could only be the 1 thing or the other or a combo of the 2.

Much much easier to find and fix... could provably do it in less than 1 day.

This very reason is why We have bugs that have existed for many many Alpha's and the reason that many plans to add things have been set aside or cast out all together. Please do not just get it good enough as always and than leave these things till the Beta stage.

As I previously stated this in today's market where EA is the norm for a lot of games now. asking people to take a chance and pay for a game to test through out development and Developing it like "Dino" is a way of the Past look at the developers of other EA games that update regularly.

Take your new competition into account Mist He is developing in the 21st century and is kicking your but from a communities point of view. When his game is done on his end it will be finished working product. No wait NO bug fixing No optimizing it is all done as he goes. He can say at that time Well I am adding this or these final few things game is is done enjoy.

Mean while, On TFP side.....wait and wait and removal of things wait and wait and Finally release and It is not going to be the same game as advertised.

I am sure I have mentioned this every year.

Wow, you seem to be an expert at game dev. What game do you develop that is in EA or was designed with all the "facts" you stated above about how EA should work? With your level of expertise it MUST be amazing. I'll give it a try.

Please excuse my ignorance but I've never had to lower the resolution for a game to run better (I've been lucky that way) so I'd just like to clarify for my own peace of mind...

1. Should 1920x1080 be dropped to 1280x720? I think that sounds right.

2. Should this be done via the desktop before starting the game AND set in the game to match?

Thanks to anyone that can assist.

Depends on your hardware but every game I've ever played since resolution could actually be changed since the 90's has always performed better at lower resolutions because the textures are mipped down quicker and lod's are using shorter distances and fill rate and a bunch of other stuff.

1: stick to the same like 16:9 so it looks right on your monitor.

2: Back in the day I think it ran better if it matched your desktop resolution but that is a thing of the past now AFAIK.

The death penalty isn't heavy. You are never weakened below what you spawned at because you'll never lose the perks that have no attribute requirement. IMO is way less severe than the old wellness system we had were you could be beat down to 30 max health and max stamina if you died enough. It regenerated only 10 a day, so it took 7 days to nurse back to full health. So you must think that a level 1 character is too weak? Because the death penalty never makes you worse than being level 1. Turn the difficulty down then.

If you have problems or concerns they might be heard if you voiced your opinions with reasoning about play style, what mode you play etc not whining and sarcasm.

I was making a point to another player that your preferences influence vanilla but not what the game allows through config or modding. I think the death penalty is just right.

Wait, not exactly. I would prefer the backpack with your lost items to be there much longer, maybe even indefinitely. A short duration just makes it too random whether you can retrieve it again or loose everything.

Archived